Just wondering out there if there are reps that are replacing the storm(multi fru) with the tour? I got a hold of another rep and they told me that they are replacing with the curve? Any other reps out there dealing with this?
    07-22-09 01:25 PM
    I have not - but I would think if it were to be done, it would be a case by case basis
    07-22-09 05:04 PM
    I have not had one fru replacement for my Storm and have no plans to upgrade to the Tour.
    07-22-09 06:55 PM
    From what I've heard, the multi-fru program doesn't allow for replacing Storm with Tour.

Why might this be? Look no further than the manufacturers.

Carrier:: If our customers have issues with Phone X, what will you do for them?

Manufacturer:: Upon repeated issues, we will replace Phone X with Phone Q.

Carrier:: We want you to include Phone M & Phone Z, too.

Manufacturer: We will include Phone M, but not Phone Z. If you use Phone Z, we will have to increase the amount you pay for Phone X and Phone R, as well. However, if more than a certain percentage of devices replaced are not actually defective, we will not give you credit.

Deal is done, similar in nature to the agreements made with a half-dozen manufacturers, covering a hundred different models - and just like the agreements all carriers make with the manufacturers.

Customer then calls wanting Phone Z as a replacement for Phone X and is told no.

Sorry gang, but the issue is not widespread enough to make a business case for changing it or to affect the bottom line.

You committed to buying a Storm. The retail source cannot fix the problem (often user-caused), so now you need to point your finger and efforts toward the manufacturer.

If you buy a new Camry & the transmission keeps falling out & the dealer can't fix it, you don't get anywhere suing or blaming the dealer or your financial institution - you go after Toyota. The dealer can't give you a new car & the bank will not forgive your loan. Why is it people think cell phones are any different?

RIM has been making basic crap for a few years now and, unlike reaction to Yugo, early Hyundais & PackardBell computers, people still want another RIM product. It makes no sense.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-22-09 07:20 PM
    nevermind....misread the original post
    Last edited by gettinthere; 07-23-09 at 09:54 AM.
    07-22-09 07:23 PM
    It's happened once at my store, but only because customer care already offered. And even then, the store isn't obligated to give one away.
    07-22-09 11:35 PM
    RIM has been making basic crap for a few years now and, unlike reaction to Yugo, early Hyundais & PackardBell computers, people still want another RIM product. It makes no sense.
    I get bad service or food, I don't go back to that restaurant. I buy a Dell computer and find the service is awful, next time I sure don't buy another Dell. I pur
    chase a car that doesn't run right and is always breaking down, I get rid of it and buy another make. I've bought several BBs and each one is worse than the last, so I am going to get an Omnia 2.
    This current BB of mine is bent on adding a carriage return when I don't want one.

What is it about BB that makes some people gullible imbeciles bent on misery?

Last edited by DesertDogs; 07-22-09 at 11:53 PM.
    07-22-09 11:51 PM
    I get bad service or food, I don't go back to that restaurant. I buy a Dell computer and find the service is awful, next time I sure don't buy another Dell. I pur
    chase a car that doesn't run right and is always breaking down, I get rid of it and buy another make. I've bought several BBs and each one is worse than the last, so I am going to get an Omnia 2.
    This current BB of mine is bent on adding a carriage return when I don't want one.

What is it about BB that makes some people gullible imbeciles bent on misery?

Yeah I see what you mean but some ppl had like 8703s for years then a curve and then got the storm and it is the devil. They love blackberry's and the way things are setup so they want a phone that works. I've done a couple multi-fru's so far and havent had any issues as long as my supe ok's it.
    07-23-09 07:55 AM
    Had a kid in the other day that seemed to be on a mission to get himself a Tour. He was going on his third Storm and was intent on making sure that everything checked out with the replacement before he left. So he brought his laptop in and spent about a half an hour reloading everything from his previous phone.

After it was all done he complained that it was too slow and that the volume wasn't loud enough. We told him we would be happy to get him another one if he wasn't satisfied and that is when his true intentions were revealed. He started quoting the multi-fru policy and said he wanted a Tour.

We explained that we would not be switching him to a Tour and that he could have a new Curve or a new Storm. Neither of them were up to his satisfaction so he called customer care right there from the store and of course care saw the notes and offered him the same thing. He then asked for their supervisor who offered him the same thing. In the end he took the new Storm. I would have taken the Curve at least then you don't look like you were just fishing.
    07-23-09 08:18 AM
    Yeah I thought a lot of people would try to abuse it when its like johnny jack @ss calling in I dont do it but on a case to case basis i help the ppl out
    07-23-09 08:30 AM
    I left TMO in February to come to VZW. Since then, I've gone through 4 Storms and my daughter is currently on her 4th. I couldn't take the constant resetting or the snowey white screen, so I down graded to the Curve. Customer service along with tech support was horrible. One tech actually told me if I had any third pary applications on my Storm, that I voided the warranty! Crazy. My daughter wanted another manufacter completely, but VZW would not allow her to do so. My final conclusion, I never should have left TMO. Customer service is night and day.
    07-23-09 09:07 PM
    I left TMO in February to come to VZW. Since then, I've gone through 4 Storms and my daughter is currently on her 4th. I couldn't take the constant resetting or the snowey white screen, so I down graded to the Curve. Customer service along with tech support was horrible. One tech actually told me if I had any third pary applications on my Storm, that I voided the warranty! Crazy. My daughter wanted another manufacter completely, but VZW would not allow her to do so. My final conclusion, I never should have left TMO. Customer service is night and day.
    That is not a good story. I am sorry to hear you've had such issues. What I don't agree with is your placement of blame.

What kind of phone did you have on T-Mobile? Was it a BlackBerry? Did you ever have issues with the phones you chose? If so, how was it handled?

There are stories all over about horror stories with lemon phones on every carrier. AT&T with Tilt, iPhone & some Nokias. T-Mobile with the original Sidekick and, more recently, the Samsung SGH-T319. Sprint with several devices. AT&T and Sprint because of issues with the Pearl Flip. Moto Razr debaucles preceded many of these. The chat boards were lit up with claims of poor service because their carrier refused to upgrade them to another phone. I remember people getting their service terminated by T-Mobile over too many complaints.

I know how it works - I had several lines of service with T-Mobile and we did have some repeated phone issues. It wasn't pretty. I had problems 15 years ago with a phone I had to replace five times on AT&T - and I was an AT&T upeer-level manager at the time.

You might also want to check on the issues with T-Mobile selling refurbs as new to bolster sales numbers.

Your anger should be directed at RIM, not any carrier. It is RIM who has refused to do anything about the Storm. As I mentioned previously - in this or other threads - if you get a lemon car & the dealer cannot fix it, they don't move you into a fancier or newer car. Your recourse, even in automotive lemon-law states, is solely through the manufacturer. It is not with the dealer.

So get off the chat boards & write to RIM. Of course, their new mantra is they will release any junk while it is still underdeveloped junk, so they may not care - it took them 6 months to correct a faulty OS on a shoddily designed device, so take what you want from that. But if the manufacturer says no, there isn't a whole lot the carrier can do, unless they want to eat millions of the junk devices.

There are those of us who have had BlackBerry devices since before they were phones - and we are the ones jumping ship. Business sales of non-BlackBerry devices are rising, while BlackBerry is off - there is a reason for this and the reason is quality & lack of innovation. If not for the recent BlackBerry enthusiasts, those who are still wowed that their BlackBerry can do more than their old Razr, RIM would be in the tank right now. They already have the highest churn of any phone maker.

Any LG enV Touch can do more, faster, cheaper & more reliably than Storm - or any BlackBerry, for that matter. But oh gee, it isn't a BlackBerry, so you're not "cool."

The four best smartphone releases for 2009 are from Samsung, Apple, Palm & Nokia. The Samsung isn't even here yet - but I have one and it is good enough, at least in WinMo 6.5 version, to even have me sold - and I despise touchscreens.

It isn't cool to buy crap and that is mostly what BlackBerry is anymore - crap. But the declarers of cool haven't gotten the message yet. After 7 years of BlackBerrys, I will not be buying another for personal use. That is partly because they have become antiquated pieces of ill-designed, corner-cutting junk and partly because RIM refuses to stand behind their junk.

Let's see - a BlackBerry with 256MB memory or another device with up to 16GB onboard that can multi-task, do flash & has a software library that dwarfs BlackBerry - which should I choose?

I know two things, besides the answer to my last question - I need to get to bed soon & you need to blame the responsible entity.

And remember this - no matter how you look at your junk, it is still junk.

07-23-09 11:38 PM
    Yeah thats pretty rough but like twins is saying thats on RIM. Did you ever get a chance to talk to RIM about this issue? There are countless people that don't understand that Verizon didn't make this phone RIM did. Obviously Verizon stamps their name on it and therfore are apparently responsible for every issue with the phone, but the producers of the phone, RIM, cut obvious corners with the Storm. Some love it though and some hate it. If you went through 4 I can almost guarentee some of those issues were user caused. But in the end if you're ready to go back to TMO then maybe thats whats best for you.
    07-24-09 07:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD