My original plan was a blackberry curve 8330 (got june 19, 2009)
    Family plan
    I got a centro from ebay in March because I wanted something new.
    LMFAO, it's major crap so I want to get an iphone 4.
    Now seriously paying the ETF for "advanced devices" is ridiculous.
    could I switch to the voyager for like a day and not have to pay the sky high etf? it's ********.
    07-04-10 07:31 PM
    I'm not a rep, but this one is easy.

No.

And in case that was hard to understand, "NO!"

You ENTERED INTO A CONTRACT. You must adhere to the requirements of the contract. Changing the device active on your account doesn't change the terms of the contract THAT YOU AGREED TO.

Pretty simple concept.

As an aside, you really shouldn't use that "r" word (the last word in your post). It's pretty offensive especially in that context.
    07-04-10 08:33 PM
    Family plan
    could I switch to the voyager for like a day and not have to pay the sky high etf? it's ********.
    If you didn't like the ******** ETF why did you sign it?
    07-04-10 08:59 PM
    Family plan
    Hehe......YOU signed the "********" contract, so sounds to me like YOU'RE the ******** one
    07-04-10 09:05 PM
    Um, am I the only one who see's that they signed contract before the ETF prices changed?

Before we go making personal attacks of any kind, since we all know how well those DON'T fly around here, let's be sure our posts are meaningful and helpful.
    07-04-10 09:11 PM
    No. You are not the only one who noticed that. I'm not sure the OP is aware of that.

However, while the ETF amount may have changed, whatever the ETF was when the OP signed the contract would still be in effect regardless of the device active on the account.
    07-04-10 09:18 PM
    If you began your two year agreement in June 2009, and haven't upgraded since then, then you should only have a $175 ETF, which should have diminished by $60 or so since then.

If you got your Centro from ebay, then it wouldn't affect your ETF.
    07-04-10 09:20 PM
    No. You are not the only one who noticed that. I'm not sure the OP is aware of that.

However, while the ETF amount may have changed, whatever the ETF was when the OP signed the contract would still be in effect regardless of the device active on the account.
    I would respectfully have to disagree. From the way the OP posted, I don't think they understand that since they signed contract under the old terms that they are bound to them and are not victim of the new fee's.

Either way - to the OP - you should be good one the lower ETF. Don't try to look for ways to cheat Verizon. Best bet would be to call and ask what your ETF would be if you cancelled today.
    07-04-10 09:30 PM
    Yes, I used the "r" word. sorry my loves. No offense. I didn't know I had to be so politically correct in here.

This is the meanest, unwelcoming forum I've come to. I signed it in June 2009. the new etf guidelines didn't apply until november so don't be calling me anything. I'm allowed to be mad with the crap that vzw is.
    and ty to drm2blv.

And I asked them instore in April and they said it would be $250 then. when I signed it the ETF's weren't that way. Could that make me pay less.
    07-04-10 09:35 PM
    I would personally call again, inform them of your signing contract date being before the raise of ETF and seek proper explanation for that fee.
    07-04-10 09:37 PM
    I should I mean we pay $550 a month. But, they never do favors.
    07-04-10 09:48 PM
    I would respectfully have to disagree. From the way the OP posted, I don't think they understand that since they signed contract under the old terms that they are bound to them and are not victim of the new fee's.

No, I was agreeing with you.

I was saying I don't think that the OP knows that he isn't bound by the new "advanced devices" ETF.

That's why I said "I'm not sure the OP is aware of that."
    07-04-10 09:59 PM
    And I asked them instore in April and they said it would be $250 then. when I signed it the ETF's weren't that way. Could that make me pay less.
    The Verizon ETF was not $250 in June 2009. The person who told you that was mistaken.

The ETF would have been $175 per line and will have decreased for each full month you have fulfilled in your contract.

The amount that you pay monthly on your account is irrelevant, however.

As an aside, some of the "hostility" you may have seen arises from the fact that you are (or seem to be) trying to get out of something that you owe. Don't do that. Find out what you legitimately owe and pay it if you decide that you want to go to another carrier.
    Last edited by Motorcycle Mama; 07-04-10 at 10:06 PM.
    07-04-10 10:04 PM
    Do you think I could get out with paying for the $175 - $60 which would be $115? The reps at the store said $250 2 months ago. I just think that it's wrong and that's not the contract I signed. Or I could have signed something about changes. I'm so confused. LOL.
    07-04-10 10:23 PM
    If you got your Curve in June 2009 and you signed a two year contract (Make sure that that is the correct information and that there wasn't some other change that you have forgotten about.), then you should have to pay $115.

I would imagine that the reps did not not look at the account correctly.

Call or email Customer Support.

Be polite. And don't go into it with an attitude. Don't use bad words. Just let them know that you are trying to get the correct information.

And when you get your iPhone, you might want to try for a one year contract based upon your stated history of "wanting something new" so quickly.
    07-04-10 10:41 PM
    Do you just have one line under contract?
    07-05-10 01:05 AM
    I would call. You only sign a new 2 year contract with new ETF when you buy from VZW, but buying online and switching phones should not affect it.
    07-05-10 01:53 AM

This is the meanest, unwelcoming forum I've come to. I signed it in June 2009. the new etf guidelines didn't apply until november so don't be calling me anything. I'm allowed to be mad with the crap that vzw is.
    and ty to drm2blv.

i will agree...i've noticed when people as questions no matter how simple the problem is or its complexity, people that respond have been very negative towards the OP's. this place has become an unwelcome place, and mainly it's the "veteran posters" that are bashing and making people feel dumber than before. last time i checked there was no stupid questions but a lot of people here make them feel that way.

but going to the original question, you may want to check with CS or go to a corporate Verizon Store to see but i don't think your ETF's should be that high seeing that the Palm Centros aren't even considered smart phones in Verizon's eyes and i've been told that by many Verizon reps in the stores.
    07-05-10 08:36 AM
    Yes, I used the "r" word. sorry my loves. No offense. I didn't know I had to be so politically correct in here.

and ty to drm2blv.

Meanest and unwelcoming? Someone said something about you using a word that generally refers to kids with mental disabilities in a derogatory way but we are the bad guys? Wow.

I should I mean we pay $550 a month. But, they never do favors.
    Paying 550 a month doesnt make you a super customer or anything and you are trying to leave the company anyways, why would they do something like waive or lower an ETF fee? Because you pay for the service that you use, yeah 550 a month may be high but you are paying it for a reason.

The Verizon ETF was not $250 in June 2009. The person who told you that was mistaken.
    Im guessing no one told him that. There may be some questionable reps that work in the call centers but none of them are that stupid. Im willing to put my money on it isnt the rep that is mistaken...
    07-05-10 08:37 AM
    ...Im guessing no one told him that. There may be some questionable reps that work in the call centers but none of them are that stupid. Im willing to put my money on it isnt the rep that is mistaken...
    He said that the people in the store told him that. He didn't say anything about a call center.

I would not doubt that the retail store staff gave incorrect information.

And others have posted previously that they were given incorrect ETF information and even charged with the incorrect ETF.
    07-05-10 09:41 AM
    i will agree...i've noticed when people as questions no matter how simple the problem is or its complexity, people that respond have been very negative towards the OP's. this place has become an unwelcome place, and mainly it's the "veteran posters" that are bashing and making people feel dumber than before. last time i checked there was no stupid questions but a lot of people here make them feel that way.

Personally (and I do not work for Verizon), I don't have any problem with people asking questions. Even the same questions that have been asked before.

What I DO have a a problem with is 1) people trying to get out of what they legitimately owe, 2) calling the fees "ridiculous" when they entered into a legitimate contract containing those terms and simply don't want to adhere to the terms for whatever reason, 3) coming in with an attitude, and 4) last, but certainly not least, using inappropriate language.

If the OP had merely posted "I got my Curve 8330 back in June 2009. Now, I want to get the new iPhone. How much would it cost me to leave? The store told me $250 but I don't think that that is the correct information because that's not what was in my contract when I signed it." then i think that he would have gotten a different response.
    07-05-10 09:48 AM
    He said that the people in the store told him that. He didn't say anything about a call center.

I would not doubt that the retail store staff gave incorrect information.

And others have posted previously that they were given incorrect ETF information and even charged with the incorrect ETF.
    LOL. Being a member of the retail staff that you are referring to im going to clear things up. The retail employees have to go thru so much training and everything else that i disagree with you. There is no way a retail employee at a corporate location(like me) just pulled some number like that out of no where.

If you dont work for Verizon or have ever worked here, you have no clue what you are talking about.
    07-05-10 10:00 AM
    If you dont work for Verizon or have ever worked here, you have no clue what you are talking about.
    Well, I would dare say that my knowledge is extremely more vast than yours based upon what you have displayed on these forums.

But whatever. Have nice day.
    07-05-10 10:53 AM
    Well, I would dare say that my knowledge is extremely more vast than yours based upon what you have displayed on these forums.

But whatever. Have nice day.

You must be more knowledgable considering you average like 8-9 posts a day

Read what i post, its 100% correct. Some people may not agree with it, but its always accurate.
    07-05-10 11:16 AM
    Ok, personal attacks are a no-go around here. Will be closing this thread down. Think we got our point across to the OP that the best source of information about this would be to reach back out to Verizon, as they will be making the ultimate decision.
    07-05-10 11:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD