01-11-14 10:12 PM
36 12
tools
    I know stories like this have been posted before, but I just wanted to share one more ...

Yesterday, my mother-in-law (who hates upgrading phones once she learns how to use her current one) went to Verizon to upgrade her Bold 9930 to the Q10. Long story short, the sales person spent a half hour telling her that she shouldn't choose the Q10 for all sorts of reasons - BlackBerry is dying, keyboard phones are and will be a thing of the past, half of Q10 purchases are being returned, etc... She wound up leaving the store with nothing because she didn't have the time to stay any longer.

When she told me, I was REALLY irritated, but then I wound up thinking about it a little more and wondered... is this, in part, BlackBerry's fault? The sales person's job is to assist the customer with their purchase, using their insight, training, and experience to help make the best decision. I'm really annoyed that this specific salesman bashed the phone so hard (likely to more than just my mother-in-law), which is no doubt an ongoing problem around the US, and hurting BB10 sales. If Q10s really are being returned in high volume, i understand why he wouldn't want to sell one, but that also means he could be doing a much better job of demonstrating how everything works with the phone during the sales process.

I think that I've come to the conclusion that the answer is both ... the sales people need to be knowledgeable about every product, but BlackBerry also needs to make sure that happens. What do guys/girls think?
    agp101 likes this.
    07-31-13 11:50 AM
    You have to keep in mind these sales people age from range 21-25 (majority of the time), and to them it's just a job. They'll go with what they think is cool. iPhone's and Samsung's. That's all there is to it. BlackBerry could spend millions educating each carrier. But if that carrier doesn't disseminate info down to the lowly sales person, they won't know any better. And even if the carrier did, unless the enforce a fair rules policy, it's not likely the sales rep would care about it.
    07-31-13 11:58 AM
    It also depends on commission rates. Some phones pay the rep a higher rate of commission than other phones. Thus, if a rep can make more by selling, say a Samsung S4, why wouldn't he? While I also find this approach to be so disappointing, it's pretty hard to combat on a rep by rep basis.
    07-31-13 12:09 PM
    When I was younger, I worked for Rogers, and BlackBerry was the only real smartphone on the market at the time, so I guess it's hard to compare my experiences with the smart phone sales people of today. Selling regular phones, however, I remember always having a tendency to try to sell a popular Nokia phone that we had. It was $0 on a 3-year contract, and Nokia phones RARELY came back for service. That said, though, if people wanted a "cool" phone, I used to tell them that this wasn't the coolest phone on the market, just what I thought was the most reliable as a true cell phone. If someone came in wanting a specific phone, I would NEVER try to push them to get a phone just because I thought it was cooler, I would only point out the positives and negatives so that they could make an informed decision. It seems like today, sales people just have it out for BlackBerry and would rather cell a rock to the customer. There has to be a solution to this problem, somewhere...
    07-31-13 12:09 PM
    Unprofessional sales people. That's what happens when commissions come into play I guess. I had the same pulled on me, just bought my 10 last weekend. I was told, hey get a samsung galaxy s3..big nice screen or oh wait the iphone 5, its good for young people etc....(im 26) . She was using a Lumia 920 herself, ironically .Wasnt from Verizon, was in vodafone in Ireland though.
    07-31-13 01:15 PM
    Unprofessional sales people. That's what happens when commissions come into play I guess. I had the same pulled on me, just bought my 10 last weekend. I was told, hey get a samsung galaxy s3..big nice screen or oh wait the iphone 5, its good for young people etc....(im 26) . She was using a Lumia 920 herself, ironically .Wasnt from Verizon, was in vodafone in Ireland though.
    clowns obviously expose themselves, but even at best buy mobile stores it's the same situation. I live near two and one only carries z10's and the other doesn't store any at all. None of the salesmen seem to push BlackBerry either and they've even asked me "why not switch?" So commission salesmen or not BlackBerry is getting pushed to the side. I personally think higher commission rates on them or even cash bonuses per device (spiff) then I'd say that's enough incentive to at least give the phone a chance..

@chrisjaam
    07-31-13 11:25 PM
    100% of the reason I only purchase my phone thru the web portal. I have yet to have an issue with purchasing and understanding what I am getting from Verizon's online portal. Sure you don't have it in your hand that day, but you also don't have to be pushed into anything.
    08-01-13 09:12 AM
    Blackberry is virtually extinct at Verizon (0.1% of sales) hardly surprising they give it such little push - they will save that for the mainstream players.

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk 2
    08-01-13 09:17 AM
    If more people knew that blackberries don't use as much data to browse the Internet then more people would probably switch to save some data. Also you can multi task a lot easier and your phone doesn't slow down at all

Posted via CB10
    08-01-13 10:27 PM
    I had a simular experience at VZW store when I tried to buy my Z10 outright. I ended up getting in an argument with the jerk and walking out. He told me he could not sell me a Z10 (White) that they were only for upgrades. I went to a bigger VZW and they heard my request and in 10 minutes had a new Z10. They were professional and could see that I didn't need any info or anything else so they just went and sold me the phone and moved on. The best part was going back to the jerk and informing him that he was wrong. lol
    08-02-13 02:03 PM
    having salesmen on the same page would be a big help. BlackBerry doesn't seem to understand how bad the attitudes are towards the new phones. This has to change in order for this OS to get a good ecosystem developed

@chrisjaam
    08-02-13 02:15 PM
    When I was younger, I worked for Rogers, and BlackBerry was the only real smartphone on the market at the time, so I guess it's hard to compare my experiences with the smart phone sales people of today. Selling regular phones, however, I remember always having a tendency to try to sell a popular Nokia phone that we had. It was $0 on a 3-year contract, and Nokia phones RARELY came back for service. That said, though, if people wanted a "cool" phone, I used to tell them that this wasn't the coolest phone on the market, just what I thought was the most reliable as a true cell phone. If someone came in wanting a specific phone, I would NEVER try to push them to get a phone just because I thought it was cooler, I would only point out the positives and negatives so that they could make an informed decision. It seems like today, sales people just have it out for BlackBerry and would rather cell a rock to the customer. There has to be a solution to this problem, somewhere...
    Have a friend at AT&T here in the US that says Nokia phones these days have been coming back alot.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-13 10:44 AM
    I know stories like this have been posted before, but I just wanted to share one more ...

Yesterday, my mother-in-law (who hates upgrading phones once she learns how to use her current one) went to Verizon to upgrade her Bold 9930 to the Q10. Long story short, the sales person spent a half hour telling her that she shouldn't choose the Q10 for all sorts of reasons - BlackBerry is dying, keyboard phones are and will be a thing of the past, half of Q10 purchases are being returned, etc... She wound up leaving the store with nothing because she didn't have the time to stay any longer.

When she told me, I was REALLY irritated, but then I wound up thinking about it a little more and wondered... is this, in part, BlackBerry's fault? The sales person's job is to assist the customer with their purchase, using their insight, training, and experience to help make the best decision. I'm really annoyed that this specific salesman bashed the phone so hard (likely to more than just my mother-in-law), which is no doubt an ongoing problem around the US, and hurting BB10 sales. If Q10s really are being returned in high volume, i understand why he wouldn't want to sell one, but that also means he could be doing a much better job of demonstrating how everything works with the phone during the sales process.

I think that I've come to the conclusion that the answer is both ... the sales people need to be knowledgeable about every product, but BlackBerry also needs to make sure that happens. What do guys/girls think?
    Not correct. The sales persons main job is to make money for the carrier and themselves.

BlackBerry is not making any carrier money right now.

Verizon Z10. Running 10.1.0.4651. Posted via CB10
    08-08-13 10:48 AM
    having salesmen on the same page would be a big help. BlackBerry doesn't seem to understand how bad the attitudes are towards the new phones.
    Of course they understand how bad the attitudes are. The challenge is changing the attitudes.
    08-08-13 11:01 AM
    You have to keep in mind these sales people age from range 21-25 (majority of the time), and to them it's just a job. They'll go with what they think is cool. iPhone's and Samsung's. That's all there is to it. BlackBerry could spend millions educating each carrier. But if that carrier doesn't disseminate info down to the lowly sales person, they won't know any better. And even if the carrier did, unless the enforce a fair rules policy, it's not likely the sales rep would care about it.
    +100

~STV on Z10STL100-3/10.1.0.2025 TMO US
    08-08-13 12:13 PM
    BlackBerry is not making any carrier money right now.
    They have 600+ carrier partners. I'm sure some of them are making money selling BlackBerry products. Otherwise they wouldn't carry BlackBerry products.
    08-08-13 05:50 PM
    I really depends on the demographics of the participants and the area. In my very urban, east coast world there are a lot of Verizon stores. Each one staffed by a collection of salespeople, most of which are skilled at sizing up the prospect as they get the sales task. As I was approached by the salesdude, I handed him my old HTC Windows Phone, and said "black Z10 please" and one was produced post haste. No sales pressure. However, I'm a 55 year old guy, 6-1 and about 230lbs fat-free tonnage. I don't like a person who wants to chat. If you're standing around looking confused, or you're looking like you want to chat, you're gonna get gamed.
    08-08-13 05:58 PM
    Sales compensation also matters. The rep might get paid more for selling an iPhone or Android. Again, this goes to Blackberry's marketing failure.

Posted via CB10
    08-15-13 09:58 AM
    I can confirm this at VZW also. My gf went to Verizon in Texas to look at a Q10 (she is with Sprint and still waiting).

The sales guy gave her the exact same argument. BlackBerry dying. Hard keyboards out. Etc etc.

BlackBerry is doomed.

Posted via CB10
    08-16-13 07:41 AM
    OP: This is what is killing BlackBerry. About 6 months ago, my mother in law wanted to upgrade her feature phone for a BlackBerry. She didn't want a touchscreen. Long story short, several sales reps told us that BlackBerry is going bankrupt. If my mother in law wasn't with me, if think I would have torn a strip off these jack asses. BlackBerry needs to hire BlackBerry fans to represent their products in the stores as it is clear that the carriers have been bought off with incentives etc.

Posted via CB10
    08-16-13 07:48 AM
    and we (BlackBerry) are still not doing anything about it..

Posted via CB10
    08-16-13 08:07 PM
    Have a friend at AT&T here in the US that says Nokia phones these days have been coming back alot.

Posted via CB10
    Maybe so, but I doubt Nokias are coming back 'for service' like the poster was talking about... but rather because of Windows OS or Windows app gap (just my opinion, of course)
    08-16-13 10:13 PM
    I can tell you from first hand experience that the people saying these things were in middle school when blackberry was the smartphone. Their first smartphone was the iphone. My toddler is one of many that has demonstrated that anyone can learn how to use ios. These people who won't recommend BlackBerry are scared of it because they don't know how to use it. They are afraid of appearing to be stupid, and ios is what they understand. This is the same generation that does not know what to do with a car that has a manual transmission. When I got my Q10, I switched my Mother from her iphone to my Z10, and she likes it better so far.

One thing BlackBerry could do is offer a BlackBerry 10 that is free with a contract. I tell you from firsthand experience that influences many buying decisions.

Posted via CB10
    WWBlondieDo and m0de25 like this.
    08-18-13 07:39 PM
    I can tell you from first hand experience that the people saying these things were in middle school when blackberry was the smartphone. Their first smartphone was the iphone. My toddler is one of many that has demonstrated that anyone can learn how to use ios. These people who won't recommend BlackBerry are scared of it because they don't know how to use it. They are afraid of appearing to be stupid, and ios is what they understand. This is the same generation that does not know what to do with a car that has a manual transmission. When I got my Q10, I switched my Mother from her iphone to my Z10, and she likes it better so far.

One thing BlackBerry could do is offer a BlackBerry 10 that is free with a contract. I tell you from firsthand experience that influences many buying decisions.

Posted via CB10
    Free blackberry 10 on contract would help tremendously. I remember when I was a rep at Nextel and when we had .01 phones on contracts they sold like crazy.
    08-18-13 07:53 PM
    At $199 with a 2 year contract, the Q10 is aimed primarily at people who are already sold on BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-13 08:32 PM
36 12