08-29-09 02:44 AM
114 ... 2345
tools
    The system fails. I realize it is designed to be more efficient to customer service, but look around at how many people are waiting and waiting for assistance. Some with only a question. I have seen many people get frustrated and leave. I've done it myself. It is frustrating, you walk in and are greeted by someone who wants to know how they can help you, so you tell them what you are looking for (thinking they are going to actually help you right then)you are then put in a que and told it will only be a few minutes. In real time that is 15-20 if not more. When your name is called you tell that person the same story as the first; they really aren't sure what to tell you so they have to go ask someone else but along the way stop to help someone that came in after you. All the while you are standing there watching this play out. I totally understand what "BlankLook" is talking about. I don't think he wanted to go straight to the front of the line at all. I believe he got irritated with the service or lack of, and left. Been there, done that. And actually, there is a bb that has WiFi. I don't remeber which carrier it is but I did see it recently.
    08-13-09 11:33 PM
    I'm still waiting to hear about the Sprint bb with wifi.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-14-09 12:39 AM

Me too - of course, it is obvious the guy babbles in hopes of justifying his existence.

08-14-09 01:46 AM

8350i would be my guess since it lists having WiFi on Blackberry's site.
    08-14-09 07:35 AM
    8350i would be my guess since it lists having WiFi on Blackberry's site.
    That's an iden/Nextel bb. Nothing to do with CDMA.

08-14-09 08:02 AM
    That's an iden/Nextel bb. Nothing to do with CDMA.

But that is the one they were probably talking about not realizing the fact that it's actually Nextel.
    08-14-09 08:07 AM
    BB is a business communications tool. It doesn't do web well. It doesn't do html well. It doesn't do games well. It doesn't do voilce well. It doesn't do music well. It doesn't do ebtertainment well. It doesn't do video well. Add too much to it and you need to do frequent battery pulls.

If you don't need a served and managed email device either you're getting something you don't need or you will try to do things with it that it isn't designed to do. So what's the problem with that rep's response?

DesertDog you aren't the sales rep he's talking about are you.... I disagree with each point you've brought up. If the BB was marketed solely as a "Business Communication Tool" it would not have Facebook, MySpace, AIM, Yahoo, MSN Messenger, App World or 1/2 the stuff it comes with. It used to be a Business Tool now its being marketed as a "Life Management Tool". I never have issues browsing the web, or with voice quality.. I've never purchased a Gameboy or handheld because of all the Games on my BB, I watch full length movies while waiting on my BB, and I have Quickpull do a battery pull every morning at 4am and I've never had to do one during the day. I do use my BB for work, but even if I didnt I'd have one, they're great devices...
    08-15-09 03:05 PM
    DesertDog you aren't the sales rep he's talking about are you.... I disagree with each point you've brought up. If the BB was marketed solely as a "Business Communication Tool" it would not have Facebook, MySpace, AIM, Yahoo, MSN Messenger, App World or 1/2 the stuff it comes with. It used to be a Business Tool now its being marketed as a "Life Management Tool". I never have issues browsing the web, or with voice quality.. I've never purchased a Gameboy or handheld because of all the Games on my BB, I watch full length movies while waiting on my BB, and I have Quickpull do a battery pull every morning at 4am and I've never had to do one during the day. I do use my BB for work, but even if I didnt I'd have one, they're great devices...
    Please don't tell me you believe marketing - the marketing department exists to sell devices & make the company profit. They don't care what is right for you.

Toyota markets the RAV4 as an offroad 4X4. Honda does the same with their CRV. They even ofter four wheel drive & a variety of accessories.

As a consumer device, BlackBerry is mediocre, at best. To say otherwise indicates you believe the marketing department - people you'll never meet & who don't care anything about you other than that you believe their pitch.

And when you follow me out into the wilderness with those little SUVs, you'd better hope & pray that I turn my Jeep or my Denali around often to winch your little marketing-driven rice-burner out of the trouble you found yourself in.

08-15-09 03:18 PM
    TwinsX2Dad...great posts. Wholeheartedly agree. I just switched from a 8330 to a Pre. Gotta admit, im new to both phones. But WOW! it was like night and day! 8330=Commodore 64...Pre=Quadcore system running Windows 7, 16G ram, etc.... Seriously, there is no comparison.
    08-15-09 03:49 PM
    BB is a business communications tool. It doesn't do web well. It doesn't do html well. It doesn't do games well. It doesn't do voilce well. It doesn't do music well. It doesn't do ebtertainment well. It doesn't do video well. Add too much to it and you need to do frequent battery pulls.

If you don't need a served and managed email device either you're getting something you don't need or you will try to do things with it that it isn't designed to do. So what's the problem with that rep's response?

You sir have no clue what you are talking about. Nuff said.

BlackBerry Storm anyone? RIM is pushing this device as a multimedia device, and is continuing to do so with the upcoming Storm 2. Can't do music or videos well? Are you isane? RIM is actively marketing BlackBerries for non business users in TV commericals, on their website, and at electronics shows. They even make a point of saying "advanced media player" on their Tour and Storm.

As for battery pulls you need to do that with ANY smartphone. Period. And you don't even need to do a battery pull, just do a soft reboot like you do on every other smartphone on the planet.
    08-15-09 03:54 PM
    TwinsX2Dad...great posts. Wholeheartedly agree. I just switched from a 8330 to a Pre. Gotta admit, im new to both phones. But WOW! it was like night and day! 8330=Commodore 64...Pre=Quadcore system running Windows 7, 16G ram, etc.... Seriously, there is no comparison.
    Pre = no media card, no virtual keyboard, beyond bad build quality, just plain BAD physical keyboard. Landscape mode with the Browser is nice, but god forbit you need to type somthing such as a URL. Oh crap ya can't! you have to put it back in portrait mode LOL!!!!! That and the Tour and Storm have a higher res display, not to mention larger than that of the Pre.

And to compare the 8330 against the Pre is just plain ********. The 8330 is several generations older hardware than that of the Pre, not to mention one is touch the other isn't.

Compare that Pre to the Storm or the upcoming Storm 2 and the Storm eats that Pre for breakfast and craps it out by lunch.

Palm made a very nice OS with tons of potential, but put it in the crappiest most shoddy built phone I've ever seen to date. I had one in my hand and thought I broke it just trying to type on it. Palm is already getting tons of returns for them cracking.
    08-15-09 04:06 PM
    Pre = no media card, no virtual keyboard, beyond bad build quality, just plain BAD physical keyboard. Landscape mode with the Browser is nice, but god forbit you need to type somthing such as a URL. Oh crap ya can't! you have to put it back in portrait mode LOL!!!!! That and the Tour and Storm have a higher res display, not to mention larger than that of the Pre.

And to compare the 8330 against the Pre is just plain ********. The 8330 is several generations older hardware than that of the Pre, not to mention one is touch the other isn't.

Compare that Pre to the Storm or the upcoming Storm 2 and the Storm eats that Pre for breakfast and craps it out by lunch.

Palm made a very nice OS with tons of potential, but put it in the crappiest most shoddy built phone I've ever seen to date. I had one in my hand and thought I broke it just trying to type on it. Palm is already getting tons of returns for them cracking.
    LMAO! dude, I cant stop laughing! I LOVE my Pre. I does what I WANT. The roam only hack alone was worth it to switch. The rest is icing on the cake. Storm? Lmao, quit my sides are hurting!!!
    08-15-09 04:18 PM
    LMAO! dude, I cant stop laughing! I LOVE my Pre. I does what I WANT. The roam only hack alone was worth it to switch. The rest is icing on the cake. Storm? Lmao, quit my sides are hurting!!!
    SO you enjoy no expandible memory? And no portrait keyboard? Christ I'd fit 1/3 of my music collection on the damn thing, that's with no movies or pictures LOL.... I guess you enjoy no typing in portrait to.. Admit it and move along, Palm blundered that device to no end.

That and what do you expect from typing what you wrote in a BlackBerry site...
    08-15-09 04:24 PM
    SO you enjoy no expandible memory? And no portrait keyboard? Christ I'd fit 1/3 of my music collection on the damn thing, that's with no movies or pictures LOL.... I guess you enjoy no typing in portrait to.. Admit it and move along, Palm blundered that device to no end.

That and what do you expect from typing what you wrote in a BlackBerry site...
    Why anyone would need more than 8G is beyond me. More power to you if you do. Ill stream, or turn on the radio. Movies? Im not into movies, you got me there. About the only videos I watch might be clips on youtube, oh ya youtube........works great. Portrait? Hmm, ya I can see that being a problem. But considering im on WIFI when I surf, I have the extra time to switch back and forth. What do I expect on here? Just about what you wrote.
    08-15-09 04:33 PM
    Why anyone would need more than 8G is beyond me. More power to you if you do. Ill stream, or turn on the radio. Movies? Im not into movies, you got me there. About the only videos I watch might be clips on youtube, oh ya youtube........works great. Portrait? Hmm, ya I can see that being a problem. But considering im on WIFI when I surf, I have the extra time to switch back and forth. What do I expect on here? Just about what you wrote.
    Fair enough
    08-15-09 04:38 PM
    BlackBerry Storm anyone? RIM is pushing this device as a multimedia device, and is continuing to do so with the upcoming Storm 2. Can't do music or videos well? Are you isane? RIM is actively marketing BlackBerries for non business users in TV commericals, on their website, and at electronics shows. They even make a point of saying "advanced media player" on their Tour and Storm.

As for battery pulls you need to do that with ANY smartphone. Period. And you don't even need to do a battery pull, just do a soft reboot like you do on every other smartphone on the planet.
    Man - I should come up with a marketing plan to sell suckers for BlackBerry oceanfront property in Kansas.

They market their devices as such in an attempt to compete.

Yes, BlackBerry can do those things you mentioned, but it cannot do them as well as other devices.

Same basic devices & OS as the 7XXX series. They added a few lines of code, a trackball & a little more memory/processor.

I can't help but watch in amazement as those who say BlackBerry is the best try to get their device to do music as well as iPhone, browse/sync like WM or organize like Palm.

Here you go - my personal phone is Samsung. Business phone (until I get back home) is BlackBerry. I have multiple other phones, including Pre, Bold, HTC, Moto, Nokia, BB8900 & LG - some not even released yet. So unlike those of you who get 99% of your information from BlackBerry fan sites, I live & operate with a wider variety of devices on a daily basis than any of you will own in the next 15 years. I have to use them to their fullest extents. But, unlike many of you, I don't know what I am talking about.

The only smartphones in my possession that I've had to do a battery pull on in the past month have all been BlackBerry. It is the only one without a full reset ability built in. Even then, I've not had to reset any of the others, either. They just continue to function.

And DDogs up there, being a close friend who has assisted me in the past with his vast knowledge of computers & operating systems, doesn't know what he is talking about either. Right - keep dreaming, gang.

If I had to choose between Pre & ANY BlackBerry - forget the network - I would choose Pre without blinking. It has that great of a capability advantage.

So we have people coming in, sucker-punched by the marketing machines. The sales consultant's job is to CONSULT and make recommendations. If you choose to go against those recommendations, you do so at your own risk.

An honest consultant would react to a customer asking for a BlackBerry would inquire as to what the customer needed & expected the device to do. If that customer mentioned the iPhone screen, gizmos, etc., the honest one would tell them to get an iPhone. The majority of the Storm issues were caused by consultants who didn't consult & customers who were suckered by the marketing machine. They demanded & were sold a BlackBerry that was like an iPhone or as good as an iPhone. The problem is, no BlackBerry exists that is as good as an iPhone for consumers. After 8 weeks & out of the WFG time, still being promised updates to make that Storm into an iPhone, thousands of customers suddenly felt betrayed as their iPhone, Pre & even WM friends could do things their Storm never would be able to do.

A good sales consultant will tell you a WM phone computes better, an iPhone plays better, a Pre mixes the two and a BlackBerry can do push email - but even that push superiority doesn't handle documents, HTML, music, video or scripts as well as the others. So when suckered customer complains later, they blame their carrier instead of the manufacturer, the marketing machine or their own gullibility.

Even the Samsung Omnia is a better device than BlackBerry.

I warned months in advance of its release of the Tour's problems, issues, bugs & poor design. Now people are screaming about the same things I warned about. Here's another warning you all can choose not to heed: the Storm2 will be worse. That comes from personal experience, as I am not gullible enough to buy into the marketing machine or emotional attachments.

You can be an emotion driven fanboy sucker for the marketing machines out there or you can choose to be educated. Your choice.

08-15-09 04:52 PM
    Twins, before I had VZ and blackberry I had gsm and symbian/Nokia. I had many of the E series Nokia smartphones. I really liked them and would go back to Nokia in a flash if VZ would offer them.

Why don't the cdma carries have Nokia smartphones and do you think they ever will? There was a rumor going around the internet a few months ago that VZ was in talks with Nokia.

08-15-09 05:36 PM
    I have a great idea for all the Crapberry Geniuses who think they shouldn't have anyone advise them or who think no one knows more than they do. Don't subject yourselves to them. Don't go to the store. Order online! When the shopping assistant offers online help, CLOSE IT! Don't frequent an online forum. Take time instead to figure out how you can get your Crapberry to do half of what other phones can do instead of reading that you got the wrong phone. If you're so smart, you would have figured this out by now. Or maybe you aren't as smart as you think you are?

The Palm Pre is built so poorly, its battery door stays on, unlike the Tour and Bold. It doesn't have screen ripples, like the Tour does. It doesn't crash like the Storm does or have a recalcitrant user interface like the Storm and Tour. It doesn't have battery latch issues like the Curves do. It has a readable screen, unlike the Pearl. It doesn't require battery pulls or third party apps to facilitate the needed near daily reboots. Yup, that Pre is a real piece of crap. Aw shoot, I guess the iPhone is also a POS, since it doesn't have those BB probs. Try doing a bat pull on that iPhone. Can't? Maybe its a good thing you don't have to ever pull the battery!

Yeah, some of you are so smart, you never need any help. Dad and I should be honored to be in your omnipotent presence, all ya suckers.

08-15-09 05:42 PM
    Ddogs & Tx2dad;
    I currently have the Curve 8330; it is my first 'smartphone' and while I enjoy most of the features, I need a device that will support two or three medical applications. I have not downloaded them after reading several threads/posts about the amount of memory they take up and how slugghish the phone then becomes; did have a Palm lifedrive but wanted an all in one device. I wish the sales rep would have been able to educate me more, I might have chosen something different.

This device will do for now; I've learned a lot and have a lot to learn.

Here's my question: what would you recommend I look into when its time to get a different device??

Thank you.

08-15-09 06:16 PM
    He was sent to the company person the lady said I had to wait for.

As I said, the 'greeter/door guard' was tasked with looking up the info on a computer. The greeter went to the back and came out and went to a station. The lady the greeter went to get to help me told me the greeter would look the info up. So, that rule isn't always true.

What is not similar? A customer knows what they want and asking about it. A rep not knowing what they are talking about and p1ss-poor service.

Nope. I stood around for 20-30 minutes. First, waiting for my turn. When my name was next, it just disappeared. I told the greeter. Then I watched her help 3 other people that came in after me when she was supposed to be looking up the info.

BTW, Sprint does have a BB WiFi phone.

As for you....go take your meds you keep using as an excuse for being you.

The greeter is usually a hired greeter or a csr or a tech. the reason why that is is so that sales reps cant cherry pick what comes into the door.

It sounds like a csr was at the front door, and when she was done with her time, she went back to her assigned station, and helped a customer, you cant just assume that they were a sales rep, especially seeming that they werent.

Also, csr's and sales people sit together all the time, I doubt she pointed to one person and said "this is who you need to see"

Your question could have been answered with you hopping onto verizonwireless,. com and doing the research yourself, instead of you wasting gas, your own time, and the time of a salesperson.

I also want to know what this wifi bb for sprint is, but seeming since you have been dodging that question, i'll defer that you wont answer.

Once again, Twins, and Ddogs is right. Anyone with a storm should know that.

Dont believe me? See how long it tyakes to pull up vzw.com on your browser

Also, we need to look up your info to give you the right answer. Nothing frustrates me more, than going through the whole sale, getting to the end and finding out you arent eligible, and you have to pay 200 dollars more than i said you did. And what is the response I get? "Why didnt you tell me that at the beginning?"
    08-15-09 06:48 PM
    Twins, before I had VZ and blackberry I had gsm and symbian/Nokia. I had many of the E series Nokia smartphones. I really liked them and would go back to Nokia in a flash if VZ would offer them.

Why don't the cdma carries have Nokia smartphones and do you think they ever will? There was a rumor going around the internet a few months ago that VZ was in talks with Nokia.
    Nokia makes some good devices & Symbian is a great OS. The reason there have been no CDMA N-Series Nokias is Nokia hasn't made any. There are various reasons for this - one is that VZW probably hasn't shown much interest. But they are extremely popular in Europe.

The talks you've heard of are from the upcoming LTE network. Companies like Nokia, Samsung, HTC, LG & Sony-Ericsson are ready to produce the devices now, while RIM hasn't made any real commitment. Yes, we will see LTE BlackBerrys, but they will probably be pulling up the rear of the parade. Part of the reason is I don't believe RIM's servers can handle the increased bandwidth.

There are actually insiders who predict RIM may end up abandoning their current closed OS model & reworking into a direct competitor with Apple. They do not have the technological prowess or financial strength of a Nokia or Samsung. And, if Microsoft were to ever to decide to make their own phones, that could well be the end of RIM. Alternately, and this has been speculated in the past, MS may swallow RIM & merge the push model with a future WM platform.

08-15-09 08:54 PM
    Man - I should come up with a marketing plan to sell suckers for BlackBerry oceanfront property in Kansas.

They market their devices as such in an attempt to compete.

Yes, BlackBerry can do those things you mentioned, but it cannot do them as well as other devices.

Same basic devices & OS as the 7XXX series. They added a few lines of code, a trackball & a little more memory/processor.

I can't help but watch in amazement as those who say BlackBerry is the best try to get their device to do music as well as iPhone, browse/sync like WM or organize like Palm.

Here you go - my personal phone is Samsung. Business phone (until I get back home) is BlackBerry. I have multiple other phones, including Pre, Bold, HTC, Moto, Nokia, BB8900 & LG - some not even released yet. So unlike those of you who get 99% of your information from BlackBerry fan sites, I live & operate with a wider variety of devices on a daily basis than any of you will own in the next 15 years. I have to use them to their fullest extents. But, unlike many of you, I don't know what I am talking about.

The only smartphones in my possession that I've had to do a battery pull on in the past month have all been BlackBerry. It is the only one without a full reset ability built in. Even then, I've not had to reset any of the others, either. They just continue to function.

And DDogs up there, being a close friend who has assisted me in the past with his vast knowledge of computers & operating systems, doesn't know what he is talking about either. Right - keep dreaming, gang.

If I had to choose between Pre & ANY BlackBerry - forget the network - I would choose Pre without blinking. It has that great of a capability advantage.

So we have people coming in, sucker-punched by the marketing machines. The sales consultant's job is to CONSULT and make recommendations. If you choose to go against those recommendations, you do so at your own risk.

An honest consultant would react to a customer asking for a BlackBerry would inquire as to what the customer needed & expected the device to do. If that customer mentioned the iPhone screen, gizmos, etc., the honest one would tell them to get an iPhone. The majority of the Storm issues were caused by consultants who didn't consult & customers who were suckered by the marketing machine. They demanded & were sold a BlackBerry that was like an iPhone or as good as an iPhone. The problem is, no BlackBerry exists that is as good as an iPhone for consumers. After 8 weeks & out of the WFG time, still being promised updates to make that Storm into an iPhone, thousands of customers suddenly felt betrayed as their iPhone, Pre & even WM friends could do things their Storm never would be able to do.

A good sales consultant will tell you a WM phone computes better, an iPhone plays better, a Pre mixes the two and a BlackBerry can do push email - but even that push superiority doesn't handle documents, HTML, music, video or scripts as well as the others. So when suckered customer complains later, they blame their carrier instead of the manufacturer, the marketing machine or their own gullibility.

Even the Samsung Omnia is a better device than BlackBerry.

I warned months in advance of its release of the Tour's problems, issues, bugs & poor design. Now people are screaming about the same things I warned about. Here's another warning you all can choose not to heed: the Storm2 will be worse. That comes from personal experience, as I am not gullible enough to buy into the marketing machine or emotional attachments.

You can be an emotion driven fanboy sucker for the marketing machines out there or you can choose to be educated. Your choice.

LOL I had a hard and hardy laugh. Samsung Omnia better than a BlackBerry? What the **** are you smoking sir? I've owned an Omina it was just plain bad. Not to mention Samsung has a thing about not putting 3.5mm jacks on their phones.

I've owned over a dozen of the high end Nokia phones living in Europe, 5 Sony Ericson's, then about 2 dozen dumb phones. I used to work for Space World in Oslo and played with these phones daily, set them up for people, updated them, so don't try and push your BS my way.

Forget the network? Right.. that's intelligent. The Palm pre is a horrendus phone. Build quality wise, lack of memory card, lack of landscape keyboard, cramped keyboard with little space for your fingers, and the list goes on. Palm made a killer OS - but decided to put it on a half assed phone. Any review you read will tell you these facts. It's missing things a phone should have. Even most of the cheapest inexpensive phones have a memory card slot.

And the fact you come on CrackBerry acusing people of being fanboys? What the **** do you think your going to find here?

Oh and for the record, RIM has never once stated the Storm was to compete with the iPhone. It's the users that started saying that. RIM has stated time and time again business will ALWAYS come first for BlackBerries, THEN multimedia.

The other thing I find just plain ******** is the fact Palm litteraly hacked their way into getting the Pre to sync with iTunes. Making their device ID show up as an Apple phone. That's just plain hiliarious.

I won't even get into the iPhone bit. Until that can actually multitask with out needing to be hacked by a third party Apple can take their phone and shove it.

Windows Mobile 6 and it's updates are just plain bad. Version 7 however has a lot of promise especially with the new IE mobile browser supporting flash. And yes you need to reboot a Windows mobile device. And battery pull a BlackBerry? Why? just do a reset via the OS, this can be done via a keyboard command, or third party software. There are times you need to pull the battery, but guess what? That goes with any phone, even dumb phones, so who the **** are you trying to kid?

I give you props though coming here on a BlackBerry fan site with the thread you posted.
    08-15-09 09:39 PM
    Ddogs & Tx2dad;
    I currently have the Curve 8330; it is my first 'smartphone' and while I enjoy most of the features, I need a device that will support two or three medical applications. I have not downloaded them after reading several threads/posts about the amount of memory they take up and how slugghish the phone then becomes; did have a Palm lifedrive but wanted an all in one device. I wish the sales rep would have been able to educate me more, I might have chosen something different.

This device will do for now; I've learned a lot and have a lot to learn.

Here's my question: what would you recommend I look into when its time to get a different device??

Thank you.
    Hi Mom!

See, kids - Dad DOES talk to Mom.

I would like to reiterate that BlackBerry isn't a bad device. I've run them too long to have been using a bad phone. They just aren't anything close to what the "fans" say they are. If it serves your purpose, great - enjoy it. I know people who really like McDonald's hamburgers - but I know of no one who thinks McDonald's food is the best out there - just don't try to get me to eat their stuff.

With the current VZW lineup, it is difficult to say what might serve you better. Toss in that you didn't mention what applications you'd like to use & my task is even harder.

Here is what you have out there. Windows Mobile devices that run the gamut as far as features, forms & price. The downside to WM is that it probably isn't for the person who wants a ready to use phone, as it is so configurable. The Palm Pre is very capable, but currently only on Sprint. Similarly, we can look at the iPhone, but that is AT&T only. One of the most enticing things about WM, Palm & Apple is the huge assortment of applications for them. There are those who make the statement that extra apps don't mean better apps. To that I say extra apps do mean more choices & a wider selection of good apps. If half the apps for iPhone, WM & Palm are bad, there are still more good apps left over. 50% of 5000 is still more than 50% of 500.

Want to geocache? The best apps are on WM. Want to manage your personal music collection? Apple, hands down, followed by WM & Palm. Medical apps, from what I can tell, are more amenable to WM & Palm. Office files, publishing & synchronization with Windows is best on WM.

I can't get a flash-based game for BlackBerry, yet the same people who trumpet BlackBerry are the ones who pan VZW's BREW based dumbphones for not being compatible with many games.

So Mom, which apps do you need to run & which would you like to run? Also, when are you looking to get a new phone? We can go from there.

08-15-09 10:18 PM
    LOL I had a hard and hardy laugh. Samsung Omnia better than a BlackBerry? What the **** are you smoking sir? I've owned an Omina it was just plain bad. Not to mention Samsung has a thing about not putting 3.5mm jacks on their phones..
    Tell you what - you name me three things a BlackBerry - any BlackBerry - can do that an Omnia, a Tilt or even an XV6800 can't do, and I might find some credibility in your statement.

I've owned over a dozen of the high end Nokia phones living in Europe, 5 Sony Ericson's, then about 2 dozen dumb phones. I used to work for Space World in Oslo and played with these phones daily, set them up for people, updated them, so don't try and push your BS my way..
    Let's take a look at your credibility here. Considering Nokia's first smartphone was only 13 years ago and, until not too long ago, cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $1000+, you expect me or anyone else to believe you've picked up more than one high-end phone a year, for the past 13 years? Don't forget that those early Nokias weren't really online capable - the Communicator was a blend of an HP PDA and a Nokia phone - hardly comparable to what we have today.

Why a dozen, by the way? You could figure them out? Were you breaking them? ...

Sorry, I believe your story about as much as I believed Spock's ears were real. ...

Forget the network? Right.. that's intelligent. The Palm pre is a horrendus phone. Build quality wise, lack of memory card, lack of landscape keyboard, cramped keyboard with little space for your fingers, and the list goes on. Palm made a killer OS - but decided to put it on a half assed phone. Any review you read will tell you these facts. It's missing things a phone should have. Even most of the cheapest inexpensive phones have a memory card slot..
    Facts? What facts are these you speak of? Unlike the BGRs & the BlackBerryCool sites, I get to live with these devices - and unlike most, I run them full tilt.

When you get a Pre to run on VZW, like I have in my possession, we can talk. Until then, the best you can honestly say is you looked at a picture.

And the fact you come on CrackBerry acusing people of being fanboys? What the **** do you think your going to find here? .
    Let's take a look at our records, shall we? I am on my third I'd here, each in excess of 3000 posts. The first two, I simply dropped. I get so many PMs asking for advice that I don't even look at them anymore. When I get a message telling me the box is full, I just delete all. Or I remember to turn them off until the next time someone bugs me for a private conversation. Better than 4 of 5 of my posts are helping others and/or answering questions.

Now look at your numbers. You really don't want me to go over that, do you? Let's see, 200 posts, registered last month and a Spock image from the movie series - can you see those things on your BlackBerry? I certainly can on the O2. ...

I've not looked at this site from a computer in several months - you can tell by the signature.

All in all, I'd say I know this site better than you ever will.

Oh and for the record, RIM has never once stated the Storm was to compete with the iPhone. It's the users that started saying that. RIM has stated time and time again business will ALWAYS come first for BlackBerries, THEN multimedia..
    Sure they didn't. Is that why pre-release documents had comparisons with iPhone? At least you've confirmed what I've said time & time again & what the OP first complained of being told - BlackBerry is a BUSINESS device. It does not compare well with the more consumer-centric devices out there. Even for business, it is falling well behind. The only thing BlackBerry has is push email - big deal, a BlackBerry might get an email 2 minutes before a WM phone. And that is only if BOTH the RIM connection AND your carrier connection is up. And guess what? WM when paired with an enterprise server has push email, too.

The other thing I find just plain ******** is the fact Palm litteraly hacked their way into getting the Pre to sync with iTunes. Making their device ID show up as an Apple phone. That's just plain hiliarious..
    At least you can use iTunes with a Pre. And you can watch videos from nearly any site, too. You're not stuck with YouTube.

I won't even get into the iPhone bit. Until that can actually multitask with out needing to be hacked by a third party Apple can take their phone and shove it..
    And BlackBerry is how far ahead of iPhone in that regard? Other phones can tile, cascade & overlay apps & widgets. The BlackBerry can't do any of that. You work on one thing at a time. Big deal - that is just a step above DOS.

Windows Mobile 6 and it's updates are just plain bad. Version 7 however has a lot of promise especially with the new IE mobile browser supporting flash. And yes you need to reboot a Windows mobile device. And battery pull a BlackBerry? Why? just do a reset via the OS, this can be done via a keyboard command, or third party software. There are times you need to pull the battery, but guess what? That goes with any phone, even dumb phones, so who the **** are you trying to kid?.
    Now I know you have no experience with these devices. Dumbphones don't need battery pulls. Ask anyone with an LG, Nokia or Moto how many times they had their battery out & if they did, why. Needed to replace or swap is the only reason. Dumbphones can be turned completely off, unlike BlackBerry. WM & Palm devices can also be turned off. BlackBerrys cannot be turned completely off. There is a constant power draw, regardless of the device's state of operation.

Your BlackBerry three-fingered salute forces a shutdown, just like pressing the power button. It is used for when the power button doesn't respond. If the three keys also don't respond, battery pull time.

I have a pair of Omnias here. The one everyone has seen & had a chance to touch. The other is running WM6.5 with that pretty new screen. Neither have required a restart, much less a battery pull, in over a month. The Bold I carry has zero third-party software on it, yet has logged three battery pulls in the past week. And Quickpull on the Tour I have will not maintain schedule.

And, WM6.5 has flash - no waiting on 7. 6.1 does too with the right browser.
    I give you props though coming here on a BlackBerry fan site with the thread you posted.
    Site is owned by Smartphone Experts, not RIM. If you spent a little time looking around, you'd see many forums not dedicated to BlackBerry, including this one. It is the Verizon Wireless forum, not the BlackBerry on VZW forum or the VZW BlackBerry Only forum.

I run here to help people with VZW technical issues. I write with integrity, honesty & reality in my words - not the marketing BS you like to throw out there, followed by a fantastical account of all the devices you claim to have had.

By the way - unlike your imaginary dozen+ smartphones, I've been to Europe over a dozen times in the past dozen years. I've shopped at Spaceworld - I know it is one word, not the two you claimed. You'd think someone who worked there might have known that - BestBuy people are better trained and most here know what I think of BestBuy. If I remember correctly, the parent company specializes in kiosks & convenience stores - 7-11 franchises, corner carts & airport vendors - real high tech stuff there. But maybe it was Spaceworld I visited, not your fictional Space World.

08-16-09 02:52 AM
    dad: i actually enjoyed your post.

if my blackberry wasn't through work, I would definitely still have my original enV. I was excited at first when work gave me a BB but that passed by very quickly because of the battery pulls.
    08-16-09 07:36 PM
114 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD