Did you look at the rendering engine? The basic software is the same yes but they dramatically render pages differently from the older BB's and the Storm/Tour/8900 are all much FASTER than the Bold (which actually has the more powerful processor).
    Yes I did - same core, more things added on top. The difference between 4.2 & 4.5 seemed dramatic, but the biggest thing they did was add HTML & cleared some of the tracking code. 4.6 & 4.7 were even smaller, mostly related to the human interface - touch screen.

With a BB when you go back to that app it is still running in the same place as it was when you moved to a different app. With only a couple exceptions this is NOT the case with the iPhone. The app has to be reopened and you need to re-navigate back to where you were.
    This is true with third-party apps - less so with native apps. But basically true either way. But remember a few things - one is that people still agrue that iPhone is an advanced device & not a smartphone. The other is how much head start did RIM have over Apple in the phone arena. The last is getting it all to work under AT&T specs.

But regardless of what the app does in the background, I cannot work with both at once in BlackBerry. As for the music in the background, I used to do that with DOS and I could minimize apps in Win3.1 & 3.11 - let's compare it with bigger stuff ml remove the multitasking semantics for a moment. 18 year old Windows machines, with less memory (2-4MB) & slower processors (25-33MHz) could do more than BlackBerry. Yet, unlike BlackBerry, I could view two or more apps at the same time and BlackBerry a still considered a superior device?

Let's just say that BlackBerry is a mini-Win3.1 device.

While I had to restart them from time to time, those Win3.1 machines didn't need hard reboots as often.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-09-09 12:50 AM
    This is true with third-party apps - less so with native apps. But basically true either way. But remember a few things - one is that people still agrue that iPhone is an advanced device & not a smartphone. The other is how much head start did RIM have over Apple in the phone arena. The last is getting it all to work under AT&T specs.

But regardless of what the app does in the background, I cannot work with both at once in BlackBerry.
    I am one of those people, I have no desire to debate it here but IMHO the iPhone is a great multimedia device but not a smart phone, even with the advances of 3.0, but it is getting closer. I've actually been very impressed with the 3GS compared to my (admittedly limited) experience with the older ones.

I guess my point was that it does not matter weather it is a native app or not, when I switch from one to the other and back again I am right where I left off. There is no distinction between native and third party, nor should there be. With the iPhone pretty much Apple's own apps save their place, the others don't and unless an app has a push notification feature you don't know if something interesting (a new IM or something) happens unless you switch back.
    08-09-09 01:21 AM
    I was at the local mall with my in laws after seeing a movie. We walk by a Verizon kiosk and he spots the Pink Curve and asks if that is the one I have. I told him yes and that he should check out the Tour too. The rep comes up to us and asked if we needed help. My BIL says he was looking at the Blackberries and the rep goes "oh do you have a business?" my BIL says "no", and the rep tells him "you doesnt need a BB unless you have a business" I was seriously appalled by this! I then commented. "Not everyone who has a BB has a business" and he replies, "Oh I guess not"! We walk away and I tell my brother "Well with that attitude he just lost a sale"!!!

Seriously I actually hardly know anyone who has a BB for "Business" purposes only! But why blow a sale by being so rude!!!???

Oh well my BIL said he has a Verizon store near him and will check there!
    You are more than right on this one. What a stupid salesman. I don't have a business and I use my blackberry for blackberry purposes. I get my emails, keep dates, and contacts organized, use the web, and much more.

Even if that ***** thinks your brother doesn't need a blackberry he should have kept his mouth shut. Way to maximize a sale and give the customer what they want. Moron
    08-09-09 01:27 AM
    Gonna have to disagree with your on that one..... You must never get emails that contain images

Ya? And what makes you think that? Because your storm can't get emails with images? Ohhh must mean mine can't then huh! Silly me.
    08-09-09 01:51 AM
    You can define multitasking any way you'd like - it doesn't mean your definition is true.
    and doesn't mean yours is either.

If you cannot work in multiple apps at the same time, you are not multitasking.
    Give an example here, and leave Windows examples out of it. For the last time we aren't on PC's with 22 inch monitors, mouse and keyboards. We are on Phones. All your examples seem to compare to what can only be done on a PC.

A BlackBerry holds apps running in memory, much like a minimized app in Windows - but unlike Windows, you cannot copy text from a browser & immediately paste it to a Word document.
    No you cannot, because It is not Windows That is how Windows works. Just because something is not Multitasking in windows, doesn't mean its not multitasking anywhere else.

And lets continue on with your Windows example. Usually with windows you have a screen in the forefront and one behind it, or maybe even to the right of it, either way you have an active window and your inactive windows. You have to take your mouse, drag+select what you would like to copy, click over and make your email window active, and then paste. Thats how you do it in windows. So to summarize you go to one window/screen, change over to another window/screen and execute your paste.

Ok on the storm. You open up the page, select with your finger what you would like to copy, switch over to Email with the app selector, (the same action that taking your mouse and clicking over to the inactive window, just the blackberry version of it) and bam paste.

How is this any different? The essential actions are the same, what am I missing here? Because a Storm doesn't have a 19x19 screen to have it all on the same screen that its not multitasking?

If you cannot drag & drop into multiple open folders, you cannot multitask.
    Following your "Windows" definition of multitasking again. Did you know that DOS can multitask? Or even the first operating system, Unix?

What do you say to Apps that run in the background on the Storm, such as facebook? You can view your pictures, and simultaneously upload your photos, and continue to look through photos. I don't get how this isn't multitasking either. Let me guess, is it because you can't have the entire facebook page loaded at the same time you are viewing your photos?
    Last edited by darethas; 08-09-09 at 02:07 AM.
    08-09-09 02:04 AM
    You know, only a complete dummy would tell me to leave Windows out of the equation, as that is what I have been comparing BlackBerry to - Windows Mobile. Go back, read & get enlightened, instead of regurgitating what some others have already said.

As for the definitions, no one has yet shown me where you can do more on a BlackBerry than what you can do on Windows Mobile device.

Here is the challenge - name me three things you can do on BlackBerry that can't be done on WinMo. No one that yet - and no one has disputed what I said can be done better on WinMo or Palm or Symbian.

But we can forgive your ignorance - you chose Storm.

If you like BlackBerry, fine. There are people who like beets & prunes, too. Just don't try to say BlackBerry is as capable as any other smartphone out there and definitely don't try to claim it is more capable.

Then, to get back on topic, try explaining why a sales person is needed if they are not to consult with the purchaser as to what their needs are.

That rich kid might be able to afford it, but there is no responsible reason to let him buy a Ducati or any other large bike for their first motorcycle. Same goes for a smartphone. You may think you want one, but do you really need one? Oh wait, I forgot - there are dummies who think they should be allowed to get a free smartphone & not have a data plan.

08-09-09 03:43 AM
    I have a bachelor's degree...I multi task, listen to the radio when I shower

08-09-09 04:29 AM
    Ya? And what makes you think that? Because your storm can't get emails with images? Ohhh must mean mine can't then huh! Silly me.
    If you have any experience with blackberries, from the tour to the 71xx series, you would know that unless an e-mail is only text, the blackberry does an AWFUL job of rendering it

08-09-09 08:48 AM
    I have a bachelor's degree...I multi task, listen to the radio when I shower

LOL! But an image I would rather not think about.

If you have any experience with blackberries, from the tour to the 71xx series, you would know that unless an e-mail is only text, the blackberry does an AWFUL job of rendering it

And you have to press extra buttons to view those images and the formatting is wrong. BBs don't make html email easy nor do they do it correctly.

I love how so many people try to rationalize their purchase instead of admitting they have to make concessions that others don't.
    08-09-09 01:29 PM

I love how so many people try to rationalize their purchase instead of admitting they have to make concessions that others don't.
    Lol, if windows mobile worked better for me then bb I would definitely have it, but I have more frustrations with winmo. I don't have a bb and stick up for it just to have one to be cool or make a statement.

Some of the things that twins and you say about multitasking etc may technically be true but I want that level of computing I get out my laptop. Why would I want to do those kinda things on a tiny screen?

The level of "multitasking" that the bb os gives me suits my needs fine and when I need more I have macintosh and windows computers that easily fulfill those needs

08-09-09 01:44 PM
    This has been a joy to read through...
    But when does a basic rant over sales practices turn into a heated debate of functionalities between diff phone OS's???

I have no bias, I try to enlighted on the good points of each phone.
    Each phone has their flaws and high points. Now combine the best things of ALL the phones together.. THEN you will have a smart phone.

Still its been fun reading the back and forths...
    all I can say is on several occasions in the thread..
    "oooh SNAP!"
    08-09-09 03:29 PM
    and doesn't mean yours is either.
    It does when it is exposed that the definition that was ripped off of some unknown source isn't applicable to the discussion at hand and the one he is describing does. Try looking up a definition of MUSHROOM. One def says it is an edible fungus. The other says it is highly toxic. Which def do you think would apply to a discussion on the Food Network?

We were not talking about the processor, but in typical cut and run fashion, those who don't know better try to use a processor def for their argument. It is like a 10 year old trying to argue why mom shouldn't order the dinner pizza with mushrooms. Adults should know better.

Give an example here, and leave Windows examples out of it.
    Why would Windows be left out when the comparison is between BB and Windows? I say Dominos is better than Papa Johns and you come along and say let's leave Dominos out of the discussion? Kind of silly, if you ask me.

BBs are so tightly locked down that they cannot do the things that other OS types can do.
    Lol, if windows mobile worked better for me then bb I would definitely have it
    And that is good. It works better for you. But it still can't do things the windows phones can. The new windows release just might get rid of the frustrations you have too.

08-09-09 03:32 PM
    For those who understood my OP thanks
    The rest, it was actually quit interesting..... among other things to read all this!! My post went from a "rep being stupid and lost a sale" to apparently "BB are only for business ppl but it sucks so why does anyone use it" thread LOL (ok sort of throwing a couple of "tones" of this thread together)
    Anyways I love my BB and I dont have a business!!!! I am sure my BIL(yes who knew after YEARS of the net some ppl didnt know what BIL meant? though no offense, i still learn new things everyday in the net) will do some research and find a phone he wants, most likely a BB, but he is the type to do research before he buys!
    08-12-09 09:38 PM
    Anyone who thinks BBs multitask should be restricted to a flipphone.

Anyone who thinks "BIL" (Blast It Louise, Buttheaded, Imbecilic Liberals) is akin to "Vet" is a total buffoon who needs to retake grade school English. Probably the same kind of goof who thinks it is cool to write "No wai gurl"

Now, which dope was it whose only retort to me was an attack on my writing because they couldn't mount an intelligent or factual response?

Leave me out of it, k thnx. I can not help it that my son calls me this.

to the poster who has a bachelors and likes to multi-task in the shower, i have a masters, was doing the whole phd thing, and I still wonder why people post inane things like that. Nobody cares about the intimate details of your life that apparently everyone feels compelled to share on every single forum or self indulgent blog. I'll stick to having fun with my family and i'll leave the details to people who care.
    08-12-09 09:57 PM
    I work full time from home. My BB gives my the ability to stay connected to work for those times I need to have a life during business hours. Sure at times it frustrates me but for my needs its perfect.

08-12-09 10:45 PM
    I agree that sometimes ppl don't need bb's, I had a friend with no job, living off her parents buy a bb recently... a pink curve. She has no job, so she set up her personal email and she really only gets on to check out that twilight sh*t they all love so much. So maybe the rep was just looking out for the cust in this case...
    08-13-09 07:20 AM
  17. black_rain
    I disagree with you all on this one. The rep pre-judged him and lost his chance at a decent sale. It's reps like him whom act like that and then whine about not hitting their quota. He should have asked some more questions to feel out if the device was right for him instead of brushing off a potential customer.
    i agree
    08-13-09 09:31 AM
    i agree
    We first need to remember this may have happened. All too often, a lot of things get forgotten the minute someone thinks they heard a "no" - then other times, details are omitted from the story for whatever reason.

08-13-09 01:33 PM
    I fully believe the OP's experience. I've had similar run-ins. I'll start off by saying I don't get the latest and greatest. I first had a LG ?200 or ?400. All I know is that it was a flip, no camera, no nothing. Even had an extendable antenna! Got rid of it when the battery started to buldge after 3 1/2 years. In 2006, I got a new one, the LG 8600. I used the camera but rarely used the music function and never text. I have different interests now and was looking to get a new phone.

My fiance' just got a BB Curve and I liked it. I liked the idea of having those capabilities in my pocket. So, I went to the Verizon store down the road.

The sales guy insisted that he needed my phone number to be able to give me any info, because my eligibility affected what he could tell me. When I told him no, that I was a year past the contract and I just wanted some general info he got an attitude. He then started to talk to me like I was a little kid, so I just turned around and left while he was talking.

I went to the other store in town and it wasn't much better. The door guard had to sign me in (why is that?). I had to wait for my name to come up on the board, and watched it get erased after 15-20 minutes. When I asked the door guard about it, she got pissy and told me not to focus on the monitor (even though that is the waiting list for help). Then told a guy that just walked in the door to step up to the counter! I had a simple question....What phones are WiFi capable? She had to get somebody from the back to come up front and that person told me that the door guard was going to find the info on the computer for me. I waited another 10 minutes while she helped other people and walked out.

I like my Verizon coverage, but am considering switching to another carrier. I know what I want in a phone and don't need a rep telling me what I don't need. I give the spec, give me a list of what works. That's all, real easy.

Now, what BB is recommended for: mainly phone; some camera; some internet; occasional GPS/navigation? And have WiFi capability?

Thanks.
    08-13-09 03:16 PM
    No bb on VZ, Alltel or Sprint have wifi. There might be some later on this year.

08-13-09 03:42 PM
    I fully believe the OP's experience. I've had similar run-ins. I'll start off by saying I don't get the latest and greatest. I first had a LG ?200 or ?400. All I know is that it was a flip, no camera, no nothing. Even had an extendable antenna! Got rid of it when the battery started to buldge after 3 1/2 years. In 2006, I got a new one, the LG 8600. I used the camera but rarely used the music function and never text. I have different interests now and was looking to get a new phone.

My fiance' just got a BB Curve and I liked it. I liked the idea of having those capabilities in my pocket. So, I went to the Verizon store down the road.

The sales guy insisted that he needed my phone number to be able to give me any info, because my eligibility affected what he could tell me. When I told him no, that I was a year past the contract and I just wanted some general info he got an attitude. He then started to talk to me like I was a little kid, so I just turned around and left while he was talking.

I went to the other store in town and it wasn't much better. The door guard had to sign me in (why is that?). I had to wait for my name to come up on the board, and watched it get erased after 15-20 minutes. When I asked the door guard about it, she got pissy and told me not to focus on the monitor (even though that is the waiting list for help). Then told a guy that just walked in the door to step up to the counter! I had a simple question....What phones are WiFi capable? She had to get somebody from the back to come up front and that person told me that the door guard was going to find the info on the computer for me. I waited another 10 minutes while she helped other people and walked out.

I like my Verizon coverage, but am considering switching to another carrier. I know what I want in a phone and don't need a rep telling me what I don't need. I give the spec, give me a list of what works. That's all, real easy.

Now, what BB is recommended for: mainly phone; some camera; some internet; occasional GPS/navigation? And have WiFi capability?

Thanks.
    Most carriers have greeters at the front - this assures everyone gets assisted in the order they came in. The treatment is similar whether you wander into a VZW store, an AT&T store or a Sprint store.

Depending on the size/services of the store you visited, you may have two or three "lines" or "queues." One is for customer service - billing issues & whatnot. Another is for tech support - some stores may not have tech support. The last is for sales - it is sales that is designated to handle questions on phones, accessories & plans. Generally, you don't see a tech or CS person if you have new phone/service questions and one line may be much longer than another. It is the greeter's job to put you in the proper "line" based on your reason for visiting. The guy who was sent straight to the counter probably needed CS or Tech, while you needed sales.

The greeters typically don't answer questions - if they got into that, they would be pulled from their assigned task of routing incoming customers.

The alternative is someone calling out, "who is next?" with you fighting for position.

That being said, my words about how badly most of the stores suck is well documented. They are usually understaffed & often poorly or inadequately trained.

If you want a CDMA BlackBerry, you will NOT get Wifi. For WiFi, you'll need to look at WM devices from Samsung or HTC.

Your situation, while not uncommon, is not similar to what the OP stated. You wanted service in a different manner than what the store was set up for. It doesn't sound like anyone was telling you what you should have or not have.

You simply expected to walk to the front of the line.

08-13-09 03:55 PM
    ....The guy who was sent straight to the counter probably needed CS or Tech, while you needed sales.
    He was sent to the company person the lady said I had to wait for.

....The greeters typically don't answer questions - if they got into that, they would be pulled from their assigned task of routing incoming customers.
    As I said, the 'greeter/door guard' was tasked with looking up the info on a computer. The greeter went to the back and came out and went to a station. The lady the greeter went to get to help me told me the greeter would look the info up. So, that rule isn't always true.

Your situation, while not uncommon, is not similar to what the OP stated. You wanted service in a different manner than what the store was set up for. It doesn't sound like anyone was telling you what you should have or not have.
    What is not similar? A customer knows what they want and asking about it. A rep not knowing what they are talking about and p1ss-poor service.

....You simply expected to walk to the front of the line.
    Nope. I stood around for 20-30 minutes. First, waiting for my turn. When my name was next, it just disappeared. I told the greeter. Then I watched her help 3 other people that came in after me when she was supposed to be looking up the info.

BTW, Sprint does have a BB WiFi phone.

As for you....go take your meds you keep using as an excuse for being you.
    Last edited by BlankL00k; 08-13-09 at 08:28 PM. Reason: format
    08-13-09 08:26 PM
    i believe it is the consumers choice on which dumb-phone, smart-phone, or Blackberry they choose. It is no one elses business.
    08-13-09 08:44 PM
    BTW, Sprint does have a BB WiFi phone.
    I wanna see it, please show me

08-13-09 09:03 PM
    The customer rep was very rude. It is poor customer service. It is not his/her job to tell me what I do or don't need. It sounds like the blackberry "doesn't do well" in many functions--doubt I would want it for business use. Besides, it is on the market for anyone to purchase no matter if they own a business or not.
    08-13-09 09:11 PM
114 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD