08-29-09 02:44 AM
114 123 ...
tools
    I was at the local mall with my in laws after seeing a movie. We walk by a Verizon kiosk and he spots the Pink Curve and asks if that is the one I have. I told him yes and that he should check out the Tour too. The rep comes up to us and asked if we needed help. My BIL says he was looking at the Blackberries and the rep goes "oh do you have a business?" my BIL says "no", and the rep tells him "you doesnt need a BB unless you have a business" I was seriously appalled by this! I then commented. "Not everyone who has a BB has a business" and he replies, "Oh I guess not"! We walk away and I tell my brother "Well with that attitude he just lost a sale"!!!

Seriously I actually hardly know anyone who has a BB for "Business" purposes only! But why blow a sale by being so rude!!!???

Oh well my BIL said he has a Verizon store near him and will check there!
    08-07-09 10:16 PM
    BB is a business communications tool. It doesn't do web well. It doesn't do html well. It doesn't do games well. It doesn't do voilce well. It doesn't do music well. It doesn't do ebtertainment well. It doesn't do video well. Add too much to it and you need to do frequent battery pulls.

If you don't need a served and managed email device either you're getting something you don't need or you will try to do things with it that it isn't designed to do. So what's the problem with that rep's response?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-07-09 10:22 PM
    IMO he wasn't rude, just pushing the point that BBs are made more for business purposes. You probably took it the wrong way, but then again it's hard to read text and what the tone is for the conversation.

Anyway, the majority of VZW floor employees reeeeeally don't know what's going on. I've only seen one competent floor worker in my entire lifetime (seven plus years with VZW now) and that was a long time ago.

Just hit up the next store, or go back later when that person's not there.
    08-07-09 10:22 PM
    I know BB is made for business! My BIL has a Razr and wants to upgrade to be able to do the things BB can do! So when someone wants to upgrade to a new phone no matter what it is. The rep shouldnt tell them not too!! And yes the guy had a rude tone!
    I have never trully had a bad experience with a rep till then. When I got my BB the rep broke my old phone
    (which was going to be my hubbys) and had to replace it. No big deal, they broke it so they replaced it!
    Like I said my point is a rep shouldnt tell someone they shouldnt get a phone!!! Seems like a conflict of interest to me!
    08-07-09 10:29 PM
    Then your brother-in-law should've stated his intent, at which point the rep would have been glad to help.

But then again, does your BIL really need all the features a BlackBerry provides? Don't forget that VZW will auto-charge an extra 30 bucks a month for the data plan. If he's only going to be using the phone for voice and light messaging, there's really no use in choosing a BB is there?

There are other phones out there which serve a better purpose and come at a cheaper rate and price.
    08-07-09 10:34 PM
    I know BB is made for business! My BIL has a Razr and wants to upgrade to be able to do the things BB can do! So when someone wants to upgrade to a new phone no matter what it is. The rep shouldnt tell them not too!! And yes the guy had a rude tone!
    I have never trully had a bad experience with a rep till then. When I got my BB the rep broke my old phone
    (which was going to be my hubbys) and had to replace it. No big deal, they broke it so they replaced it!
    Like I said my point is a rep shouldnt tell someone they shouldnt get a phone!!! Seems like a conflict of interest to me!
    I don't know what his tone was. I wasn't there. I also don't know if it was a verizon corp kiosk or an auth retailer. Doesn't matter because I don't care for the stores anyway. So the guy may have been rude. Doesn't surprise me. What it does sound like is someone tired of returns or complaints when the bills come in or the tech problems associated with someone getting a phone they either can't handle or doesn't do what they want it to do or has problems because of both of the above.

I have friends who ask me about my smartphones and I regularly tell them to not think about it. Most people who have done well with a razr might move into an env or some other advanced multimedia phone. You don't reasonably jump from a flip phone so terribly obsolete into a smartphone, especially when other phones will serve you better.

08-07-09 10:38 PM
  7. black_rain
    Then your brother-in-law should've stated his intent, at which point the rep would have been glad to help.

But then again, does your BIL really need all the features a BlackBerry provides? Don't forget that VZW will auto-charge an extra 30 bucks a month for the data plan. If he's only going to be using the phone for voice and light messaging, there's really no use in choosing a BB is there?

There are other phones out there which serve a better purpose and come at a cheaper rate and price.
    wow ... sounds like you're implying that the BIL can't afford verizon smartphones or plans ... i don't have a business but i went with verizon (and the storm) because of there plan and they offer ins on there phone vs at&t who doesn't offer ins on there iphone (which was my first preference). so to sum it up i had to protect my investment which was pretty much my main concern.
    08-07-09 10:59 PM
    You don't reasonably jump from a flip phone so terribly obsolete into a smartphone, especially when other phones will serve you better.

Well said mate!!
    08-07-09 11:00 PM
    Wow. I went from a Motorola V360 Flip phone, that was like 2 years old, to the BB Curve. From the people here, since I only work as a Helpdesk Analyst, don't own my own business, and SURE don't need to get e-mail from work (I have an account here, but don't get it to my phone), I shouldn't own a BB.

So... College students don't need a BB, people wanting a Touchscreen with click don't need a BB, people wanting to watch movies, listen to movies, reply to e-mails in a VERY timely manner, and everything else they can do - that's irrelevant?

Wow. I think this is the first time I've been... disappointed in the Crackberry people. Wow.

Oh, and my main job is not this (maybe later, HOPEFULLY), but is a semi-truck unloader at UPS. DEFINITELY don't need BES for that. And, to think, I'm NOT on BES. BIS handles me quite well, and makes me very happy.

Here's a thought: if her BIL wants a smartphone, he's able to afford it, can handle the technological stuff it requires, why not get him into one? Perhaps he just likes getting his e-mail sent right away. I know I do.

Wow. People. These are NOT just "business phones" anymore. They're also becoming for the consumer.

Wow.
    08-08-09 12:21 AM
    And they suck at being a consumer device.

08-08-09 01:16 AM
    BB is a business communications tool. It doesn't do web well. It doesn't do html well. It doesn't do games well. It doesn't do voilce well. It doesn't do music well. It doesn't do ebtertainment well. It doesn't do video well. Add too much to it and you need to do frequent battery pulls.

If you don't need a served and managed email device either you're getting something you don't need or you will try to do things with it that it isn't designed to do. So what's the problem with that rep's response?

Have to respectfully disagree.

My Tour does HTML/Browsing better than my LG Dare. It has a great media player, can watch youtube and play good games just like LG Dare could. I have about 10 apps and only do a battery pull because I send/receive so many messages so fast sometimes it stops working.

The newer 4.7+ OS blackberries are becoming more and more an entertainment device.
    08-08-09 01:37 AM
    i love it as a consumer device. i use the camera and video camera on my storm, and use pandora. other than that i wanted my emails and a touchscreen phone. i know many people with an iphone that show me how great it is, i dont care. i feel that the storm fits my needs better and am willing to pay the price for it.

the vzw rep should have at least asked a few more questions as to why he wanted a BB before deciding that you dont need it
    08-08-09 01:37 AM
    Incredible. I wake up & see a story about a rep who might have told the truth & was branded as rude. Only one person was there & we didn't witness the whole exchange.

I have been in both VZW & AT&T stores & have heard reps tell people this exact thing. Sometimes the customer doesn't take it too well.

And now it is time for me to respectfully disagree with some of you who have posted before me - you are suckers for the BlackBerry hype. BlackBerry gets choked by anything more than the simplest email. Don't believe me? Go to buy.com and subscribe to their email list. Choose HTML as your prefeered format. It doesn't matter which email service you choose - BlackBerry, Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail. They will send you three or four emails per week with specials. When you get that email - it has images - try to scroll down to read it. Sorry, but your BlackBerry just choked on it. Now get the exact same email on an LG, Samsung, HTC, iPhone, Palm, Moto or Nokia. Renders as intended.

I've checked the Buy.com code - it is correct & clean.

Now go view music videos at Cmt.com using your BlackBerry. You're going to be waiting awhile - a long while - because the video will never play. Head over to Fox News, Yahoo, AOL, ABC or MSNBC & try to view their videos. Again, no go, even in mobile view. Some of them even detect your BlackBerry & omit any video links. The previously mentioned phones, with a few dumbphone exceptions, can view these videos. But even the dumbphones can generally see more than BlackBerry can. With BlackBerry, you're limited to YouTube, some podcasts (but not all) & nothing more.

Now, cruise around Crackberry - a site supposedly dedicated to BlackBerrys. Try to edit every post you make. You might find 10% that you can edit. Did you quote a post? Where did the "Post Reply" button go? Sometimes the text didn't even wrap. The BlackBerry browser is that bad.

Try the Opera browser for any of these things - it won't even pull YouTube, if I remember correctly. But who knows? I avoid YouTube, since it is Google & only go there when I absolutely have to. That Opera browser does a decent job on CB, if you don't have to cut & paste or copy a URL.

WinMo, Palm, Apple, Symbian & even some of the dumbphone OS examples will do all of the above, without a hitch.

The BlackBerry OS is so primitive, when you choose a link in an email, it completely restarts the browser. Gone is all of your cached history - forget about going back without looking through today's history. Now try ti get the BlackBerry to allow you to open those links in Opera. Again, not happening and you cannot paste a URL into the Opera address bar - you have to run the URL through a search engine as a workaround. With real smartphones, click a link & the browser goes there without a restart.

Lastly, who here has not gone to a Website with the BlackBerry browser & has the browser choke so badly that you had to wait forever to close the browser, have the browser crash or the entire OS freeze up? Battery pull time & another 5 minute reboot. Win95 booted faster with a corrupted registry. Now consider that I have never had to do a battery pull on these new Samsung Omnias (1 & 2) or HTC TouchPros. Battery pulls are something I do when I need a fresh battery - what a novel concept.

These are all things that the average consumer will not enjoy & the tech-savvy will not tolerate. Too many people have fallen for the hype & the marketing. And far too many people are willing to tolerate AT&T's crappy network because the iPhone does things so well. At last check, AT&T is still selling more iPhones than VZW is selling BlackBerrys - all models combined. Even the Palm Pre is doing wonders for Sprint & we know what Sprint is like.

And the only smartphones out there that you do not have full control over are made by RIM. Microsoft, Symbian, Palm, Android, Apple - none push unwanted apps to your phone. None mysteriously need to Register Now or have service books resent. I've done PRL updates on BlackBerrys & have watched data vanish, necessitating reregistering the device & resending service books. Never once have I seen another phone go down with a PRL update - only BlackBerrys.

BlackBerrys are very narrow-focus business communications devices. They are lousy consumer devices & they are not high-end smartphones. The quality has plummeted in the past several years to where even HTC models are better built - no screen ripples, no loose battery covers, no dust under screens. Apple eats BlackBerry for lunch in fit, finish & design.

If you think BlackBerry is the best out there, my response is simple - you don't know phones.

But what do I know? I am just the cranky old telco fart with a dozen or so working smartphones on several carrier networks at any given time.

08-08-09 03:24 AM
    Lol.. Twins, you've done it again.. Bravo, sir!

I have a BB because quite honestly, I'm used to it.. All the HTC's we have are touchscreens (except for the Ozone, and I'll kill myself before I get that *******-ugly of a device).. The Pre has potential down the road, but I'm not all that crazy about the look of that, either..

Sigh..

08-08-09 04:09 AM
    Well from the OP it did sound like he could have done more to steer the guy toward a touchpro or something. Yes the guy did ask directly about blackberries but maybe he wasn't aware there could be better choices out there. He asked about blackberries because that's what his relative had. This was badly handled IMO. The choices for consumers these days are staggering at least for VZW and ATT. Some education should be part of the sale. If the sales rep can steer the customer to the phone that's right for them, not only will there be fewer complaints and returns, those customers will likely come back looking for the salesman that was so helpful.

08-08-09 04:58 AM
    (except for the Ozone, and I'll kill myself before I get that *******-ugly of a device).
    The Saga is worse - like Fisher-Price/Playskool did it. I love the thing as long as no one was around to see it I'm my hand.

I'm with you - if you're used to something, you tend to stick with it, often too long. Dogs has stuck with BlackBerry so long, he is past the point of rescue. When the O2 comes out, or something equally good with a keyboard, I might buy him one just to shut him up.

At work, we did the same thing - BlackBerry was easy to give to the guys, while keeping them locked down. But we've come to the realization that we employ adults - a pretty good bunch, at that - and we don't need to treat them like children on a leash.

Skyboxer brought up a very good point - one we will probably never know if the rep was trying to do, since we weren't there - consultative sales beats just giving a customer what they initially ask for. Picture this, outside of the phone world:

Guy walks into his Chevy dealer & falls in love with the Corvette. All his friends have one & they love theirs. Salesperson sees a big sale, takes him for a test drive, brings him coffee, goes through the whole negotiation process, but never asks the guy his needs or his situation. One of two things happens. Either the guy backs out & goes home without the car & the salesperson's time was wasted or he buys it, only to have huge amounts of remorse the next day & blames the sales guy, the dealership & even Chevrolet. What went wrong here?

Guy has a wife, five kids, loves to go camping, wife has a Corolla & he can only buy one car. The sales person never cared enough to ask & only wanted the sale. If he had done some consultative sales work, he would have redirected the guy's interest to the nicely loaded 4X4 Suburban on the back lot that was just unloaded from the transporter.

If customers were always well-informed & intelligent, there would be no sales teams. Cell phones would be sold exclusively out of vending machines at Circle K. Cars would be sold online. Houses would be sold based only on neighborhood & not by price & number of bedrooms.

But we know many customers don't know what they need or what they will be happy with in six months, even though a lot of them think they do. If those who wanted BlackBerry were so smart, we'd not see all these people trying to wrangle their way into the next one. If they were really happy with the thing, they'd not be looking to get out of it so quickly. It isn't the function they are looking for, nor is it an intelligent purchase. What the vast majority of BlackBerry owners are looking for is prestige. They want to one-up their friends and have something they think they can lord over their iPhone & WinMo friends. The problem is, most of those friends are snickering at them.

Something I have noticed in the people I know - almost every one of those who have had at least three smartphones and their current one is a WinMo or iPhone, used to have a BlackBerry and are now happier with their current, non-BlackBerry phone. The ones with BlackBerrys currently tend to be on their first smartphone - and something invariably is wrong with it. BlackBerrys that don't do what they want Curves that have lost radios, Storms/Tours that don't render Websites the way they expect. Bolds that crash or have had case issues. Yet they want the newest & greatest BlackBerry, because that one will finally be the one.

In the end, I think that WinMo & iPhone people want what works, no matter who makes it. BlackBerry people want an image.

It all kind of fits with the demographics. The vast majority of current BlackBerry owners are on their first smartphone or have been using smartphones less than three years. Most WinMo/Palm owners have used smartphones/PDAs for much longer.

I am going to stop here - the meds are kicking in & I may be able to get some more sleep. Besides, sitting outside the RV this far north is downright cold!

08-08-09 05:56 AM
    Thats a bunch of horse****, any good saleperson would have jumped on that sale.

Furthermore, they are bbs that do entertainment just fine. My Storm manages music and video very well with one Quickpull per night- in the middle of the night.

Im a bit surprised at some of the replies in this thread. Very interesting. The rep was completely out of line and bb is more than just a business tool. Try maybe upgrading out of that old Curve 83XX and you would probably know better.
    08-08-09 06:22 AM
    Why can't people just type out brother in law?

08-08-09 07:01 AM
    The same reason why people can't type out Veteran in their username.
    08-08-09 08:09 AM
    Thats a bunch of horse****, any good saleperson would have jumped on that sale.

Furthermore, they are bbs that do entertainment just fine. My Storm manages music and video very well with one Quickpull per night- in the middle of the night.

Im a bit surprised at some of the replies in this thread. Very interesting. The rep was completely out of line and bb is more than just a business tool. Try maybe upgrading out of that old Curve 83XX and you would probably know better.
    Who was that directed to?

I know all of you will be coming shortly and disagreeing with him, but dad is right on......

08-08-09 10:50 AM

Yes, could you please print that out and and tape it to the door of every Sprint store in the country?

It doesn't do those things well, I constantly have customers who start off the conversation "Well I pay for the unlimited plan and blabla isn't working"...

I'm not a business person. I got my BB to help me do tech support for it. It does everything well enough for me to stay happy.
    The phone itself, the menus, trackball, I'm totally in love with.

The email feature though, it is nice. Just not necessary because my $ doesn't depend on it.

It's worth the extra $30 a month to me. So many phones have so many features and so many problems. I don't need it.
    08-08-09 01:52 PM

You don't type well...and a BB is not JUST a business communication tool. It's a multitasking tool. How dare you say it doesn't do voice well. My blackberry has been the best recepting phone I've ever owned and trust me I've owned quite a few phones. So to you good sir I say...FALSE
    08-08-09 02:03 PM
    I've not ready every post, so if someone else has mentioned this, my apologies. But of the 50% I have read, it appears people are missing the point. A GOOD salesperson does not ASSUME anything. They take the time to explore what the potential customers needs are (which goes way beyond "do you want this for business?" as well as what their DESIRES are (as many of us attest, we have these phones simply because we want them, like them, enjoy what they have to offer) and what products they have that might best fit the customer's needs. They don't just blow them off with a "yes or no" question. THAT'S good sales, THAT'S good customer service. The problem is, many of these guys are so low paid, so under-trained, so inexperienced, that they're clueless about what being a good sales person really is all about.

I use my phone both as a consumer as well as a self-employed businessman and I appreciate what it offers. I weighed all the pros and cons of the various phones before I made my choice and got what I felt best fit my needs. I admit there were times I've questioned my decision, but in the end, I'm convinced I made the right choice and I'm happy with my phone. My sales person was courteous, professional and reasonably knowledgeable. That helped me with my decision and, even though he was not selling iPhones, I had already done my research on that side and it was not a factor.

So, the OP is right on all counts....not good service=no sale. Had the salesperson done it correctly, he/she might have steered the brother-in-law that a BB was perhaps not the best choice, but "here's something that might fit the bill for what you're looking for" OR, simply realized "this guy simply likes technology and keeping current, so he wants it for no other reason than he WANTS it."
    08-08-09 02:07 PM
    I was at the local mall with my in laws after seeing a movie. We walk by a Verizon kiosk and he spots the Pink Curve and asks if that is the one I have. I told him yes and that he should check out the Tour too. The rep comes up to us and asked if we needed help. My BIL says he was looking at the Blackberries and the rep goes "oh do you have a business?" my BIL says "no", and the rep tells him "you doesnt need a BB unless you have a business" I was seriously appalled by this! I then commented. "Not everyone who has a BB has a business" and he replies, "Oh I guess not"! We walk away and I tell my brother "Well with that attitude he just lost a sale"!!!

Seriously I actually hardly know anyone who has a BB for "Business" purposes only! But why blow a sale by being so rude!!!???

Oh well my BIL said he has a Verizon store near him and will check there!
    I would agree that the way you are relaying the exchange sounds EXTREMELY rude and condicending.
    I'd feel absolutely bashed. Honestly it shouldnt matter whether you have a business or not enless the rep gets a better commission for selling a berry to a business account. WHO cares though. They sell berry's to teenyboppers who shouldnt even have flip phones. Sell one to your Bro in Law for GOODNESS SAKE! LMAO...
    Good luck giving a nicer rep the sale.
    08-08-09 02:29 PM
    I like when a rep talks a person out of the phone they can't live without. Because when listening to the conversation the device is either too little or too much for the customer. It's less hassle for me due to them wanting to return the equipment shortly after they purchase it. Getting a customer in the right phone the first time makes everyone involved happy. Customer... Rep... and VZW!

I disagree with you all on this one. The rep pre-judged him and lost his chance at a decent sale. It's reps like him whom act like that and then whine about not hitting their quota. He should have asked some more questions to feel out if the device was right for him instead of brushing off a potential customer.
    I agree. You should never brush off any customer. However, there are so many factors here we don't know. The rep could have been having a bad day... I don't generally let personal things or even work get to me but we are all human and act out of our norm at some point in time.

And I think Twins is spot on... AGAIN!!! Not to mention I envy him for typing all of this on a wireless device! I could never put in that good of a response from a phone. Heck I can't form that good of a response on my pc!
    08-08-09 02:38 PM
114 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD