01-13-09 07:35 AM
57 123
tools
    Well its both your fault and the store reps. He may have had an understanding you already new about a needed data plan.

Not to sound rude but what would be the purpose of owning a blackberry or even a smart phone if your not gonna have the data plan or even use the data service? Because it looks "cool" to hold?
    Probably as an excellent text communication and organization device. The Blackberry is one of the best. It does not require a data plan to function. Also, I too do not mean to sound rude. Just to add to the discussion.

Before you buy a phone, any phone, do the research. It will save you the headache.
    Very much agreed

By the way, I am also a CSR for verizon up in the Green Bay, WI call center.
    By the way, I am a consumer.
    12-29-08 10:04 PM
    On acid?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

if I knew what you meant, I would respond.
    12-29-08 10:08 PM
    I work for a Verizon retail store in the midwest area and I'd like to apologize. I do agree that you signed a contract that included the package, but as a company we are not in the business of leaving out important details. In my area you can get a month of blackberry service for free, so I would call in and ask for that from *611. Also make sure you're on the 29.99 package as long as you're not on a bes server for work emails.
    12-29-08 10:24 PM
    if your worried about being able to pay the $30 then this probably isnt the phone for you. There are plenty of capable phones that dont require $30 extra a month. And it sounds like from your last post you are in fact worried about paying for this, go with the dare or something, alot of current phones have pda features but dont require a data plan. So if you were unable to pay the $30, you are not stuck. Cause you will be stuck. You will have to either buy a new phone which will cost alot cause you wont get the contract price, cancel your service which will cost you the ETF, or stick with the plan you cant afford.

and if it makes you feel any better, some of us pay $45 a month, if we want to use the blackberry with a corporate e-mail system. so i hope you dont plan on linking this up to your works e-mail system, cause then your gonna be paying $45 not $30.
    12-30-08 12:08 AM
    Not to mention, all smartphones purchased from verizon after Nov 14th will required a data plan 29.99 or higher. That is if you want to get anything else classified as a smartphone.

12-30-08 12:14 AM
    I think you have a case, they should not add things (mandatory or not) to your account without advising you of the charges.
    On the otherhand, you are only going to be paying for what you used and in a perfect world (as you stated) you would be more than willing to pay the cost of you blackberry you have used.
    I know att would give you a one time credit for the difference, they do that all the time but verizon and tmo are notorious for being a little difficult with credits...
    I think if you truly enjoy your blackberry and you are utilizing the data, that you should be responsible and chalk this one up to experience... $20 lesson well learned.
    If you are a stickler for principle, you can call customer service (try to be nice about it) and explain how you feel mislead.
    12-30-08 12:30 AM
    Every carrier does not require a BB with a data package. Verizon does but everyone does not!
    If you want the phone to work they do.

12-30-08 08:37 AM
    I'd love to get some feedback from you CrackBerry experts on my Verizon Wireless sales experience. The device: a Curve 8330, purchased on 12/20. In a scant 8 days, I became an addict - you know how CrackBerrys are. This is my first smartphone: I am a complete newbie.

The problem: the very amiable salesman gave me all the lowdown on unimportant details: the bundled accessory deal versus no bundle, restocking fees, etc. But he said absolutely NOTHING ABOUT THE DATA PLAN! Nada! I'd had browser service on all of my previous cell phones for $4.99/month, and sort of assumed - knowing nothing - that I would continue to use Verizon's access to the web, etc. It dawned on me in short order that Blackberry has proprietary servers, software, etc...and I began to worry and do research. And of course, it's $29.99 a month for data.

My question: I feel strongly that when a merchant fails to give the customer the information necessary to make a financially sound decision, some sort of adjustment - a break - is in order. (Well. In a perfect world.) At this point, I've mastered the phone, I am addicted, I do not want to switch to an LG EnV2...and I can't help feeling Verizon should ... offer something. I did return to the store: talking to the supervisor was like talking to Sarah Palin. She had a repertoire of 4 stock responses, which she repeated, regardless of what I was asking her. She also wondered why I was angry (I was incredibly polite about all this, BTW).

Realistically - is there anything Verizon can or would do? How does this work? Do I have a legitimate grievance?
    That is like signing a contract to join the army and saying I didn't know that I had to do PT. I want out of my contract.

12-30-08 08:48 AM
    Well its both your fault and the store reps. He may have had an understanding you already new about a needed data plan.

Not to sound rude but what would be the purpose of owning a blackberry or even a smart phone if your not gonna have the data plan or even use the data service? Because it looks "cool" to hold?

Before you buy a phone, any phone, do the research. It will save you the headache.

By the way, I am also a CSR for verizon up in the Green Bay, WI call center.

(sorry if this post is a duplicate - connection problem).

First - the last thing I am interested in is a cool looking phone. I want - and now have - a functional phone!

But thanks for your input.

Of course all of you are right. In a very basic way: I signed a contract.

I signed a contract in a vortex of noise and pre-holiday purchase hysteria. This is the sort of mind-boggling atmosphere that a cs rep's informative shpiel is meant to pierce. Information is what makes a rep important - otherwise, he's just selling boxes with attractive appliances inside. I made it very clear that I was a smartphone newbie, and asked directly about 'any new costs I should know about' - you'd think this would be the cs' opportunity to fill me in. He didn't.

I did some research (on the more arcane aspects of BB use that I might not want to take the csr's time for); I was expecting the csr to save me the trouble of finding out the most basic information. Like what things cost.

As for why one would want to know whether it's possible to have such an intelligent phone without data access: Say you lose your job, can no longer afford the cost, and don't particularly want to change phones. The thing is a perfectly good PDA, as far as I can tell, and it's a perfectly good phone!
    12-30-08 09:00 AM
    I'll just bet the Governor of Alaska knows how to read contracts and researches a purchase before she commits to it....
    Of course all of you are right. In a very basic way: I signed a contract.

I signed a contract in a vortex of noise and pre-holiday purchase hysteria. This is the sort of mind-boggling atmosphere that a cs rep's informative shpiel is meant to pierce. Information is what makes a rep important - otherwise, he's just selling boxes with attractive appliances inside. I made it very clear that I was a smartphone newbie, and asked directly about 'any new costs I should know about' - you'd think this would be the cs' opportunity to fill me in. He didn't.

I'd researched the more arcane aspects of BB use - not wanting to waste a csr's time on the basics.

As for Sarah Palin, she is a brilliant politician. But as a debater, she uses several (now famous) techniques of avoiding a direct answer. Techniques the supervisor was using as well - I understand there may not be much she could have done.
    12-30-08 09:07 AM
    Why are you copy and pasting and double posting....

Use the double quote for multiple replies....

* also sorry you didn't see the fine print. Yep need a data plan...
    12-30-08 09:50 AM
    Actually, after some simple research & a few phone calls, I found you are only partially correct. Only AT&T and TMo do not require data plans. According to both carriers, you'd need to either bring your own unlocked phone or pay their 'No Commitment' price for a new phone.

Then, without a BB data plan, you'd not get any service books. Without service books, your Berry would function as a regular phone without email, IM, etc.

This again brings up the question of why? It would be a large premium to pay to get a crippled Berry for only the added benefit of files & BrickBreaker - about the only things you'd get over & above a media phone. Much the same thing could be said for getting a computer without Internet access so you could play games, except there is so much more to a computer.

To keep hitting (and falsely singling out) VZW is kind of childish & silly, considering the vast majority of mobile phone users who don't want data would never consider a Berry or other smartphone. The constant VZW slamming from some is rather juvenile & doesn't seem to be having any effect on the bottom line @ VZW or Voda.

I'd rather go back to rotary dial than be stuck with either AT&T or TMo - because of personal experience. I worked for AT&T for over two decades & know the mindset & what they are like. TMo is much better but their coverage area is awful.

One of the advantages a Berry has over other smartphones is its data handline - take that away & you might as well have a shiny WinMo unit.

I for one, am not fiscally foolish enough to get a Berry for simple phone functions. That would be about as silly as getting a Ferrari to ferry kids to school.

laughable.....you whine about people complaining about VZW then 2 lines later you try to dog 2 other carriers...you then go on to claim to know what another adult should or shouldnt do with their money...
    this is a free country...if somebody wanted to buy 10 ferraris to ferry their 10 kids to school in seperate cars its not your concern...just like if any person feels like spending their moneyon a blackberry without a data plan its not your concern
    just because you have a keyboard and a blackberry does not make you the moral authority on life and smartphones
    if the OP wants to use her curve with no daa what qualifies YOU tell her anything diffrent?
    you come across as a pompous finger wagging @$$
    Last edited by giantfan30; 12-30-08 at 10:13 AM.
    12-30-08 10:07 AM
    VZW asking if it is for work email is about the best con VZW has come up with yet! What the heck does work have to do with anything, I bet some users send way more personal email then work! Not to mention how many people use gmail, aol etc for WORK email - come on VZW your consumer are not all IDIOTS!

They asked me the same question and I kept asking what does that matter? Finally the "wonderful" CSR said oh I mean do you use Exchange? I again asked what does that have to do with anything. After my constant questioning the rep finally said does your IT staff have to set you up with a enterprise server. Ahhh now I will answer - NOPE we do not have such a thing - BINGO enough BS about work email.

I feel sorry for those that have been vripped off by saying ah doh yes work email

IMO it kind of defeats the advantages of having a BlackBerry if you don't have a data plan, and Verizon definitely requires one, but I know I've seen posts here from people using other carriers where they are not *required* to have a data plan at time of initial purchase/contract.

What I have experienced first-hand, though, is being sold a higher-cost data plan than needed. I work for a very small company and we do not have or need BES. Yet the only question asked of me at time of purchase (and a co-worker, at a different Verizon store) was "are you using this for work e-mail" and we were automatically put in the higher-cost data plan rather than the $29.95 plan for BIS only. Yes, our own stupidity for not doing our homework prior to going into the store, and it was easily and immediately taken care of via a call to customer service. But it obviously would have been a nicer experience had we been given a better explanation in the store.

Regarding discounts, it's not only for corporations. Definitely ask, because they mostly don't volunteer the information that there are discounts at all. My husband is a firefighter/EMT, and found out about the discount offered to fire/EMS and police kind of accidentally when he mentioned his job casually in conversation to the Verizon rep who was helping him choose a new phone. It also applies to accessories as well as plan fees, and on a family share plan, to all lines and family member accessory purchases as well.
    12-30-08 12:42 PM
    laughable.....you whine about people complaining about VZW then 2 lines later you try to dog 2 other carriers...you then go on to claim to know what another adult should or shouldnt do with their money.
    It is apparent reading comprehension isn't one of your strong points. Read the entire post in order to see what I am saying instead of what you want to read. You might want to figure out how to not indiscrimately quote entire posts over & over again. Everyone has already read the post many times.

There are people who do the illogical - if you want to do that, you may, but know you're arguing on the basis of faulty logic and/or fallacy.

Multiple calls, including one this morning from AT&T wanting my business and each time I was told yes, you could have a Berry without data but that their promo pricing woiund not apply.

Those promo subsidies have to come from somewhere. If you're not subscribing to a subsidy source, don't expect the subsidy.
    Last edited by TwinsX2Dad; 12-30-08 at 01:53 PM.
    12-30-08 12:45 PM
    sorry this happened to you, and I know you don't want to give up your phone, but if the bill is too much for you, figure out a way to pay it, like give up something else you like, that you don't really like or care about as much as your phone because I don't think Verizon will help you. I have a Verizon Envy, and want a Berry from them, but the data plan is why I'm not getting one, in fact my contract with them is over in January and I'm leaving them, my Berry is with T- Mobile so I'm staying with them, another reason is I can't afford to have two providers anymore. Anyways hope you find away to keep your phone
    12-30-08 01:31 PM
    Why don't we all go to our local Verizon store and claim "the rep didn't inform me about the data plan"? Excuse my attitude, but give me a break, if you can't afford the $30 data plan then return the phone. You have no basis for your argument other than word-of-mouth and I'm sure Verizon is not going to care, nor should they. Return the phone or pony up $30 a month for your addiction.
    12-30-08 01:45 PM
    I feel sorry for those that have been vripped off by saying ah doh yes work email
    As an aside, I'm a deskside engineer working for a large tech company and contracted to a large consulting company - I can tell you that an inordinate amount of people need things dumbed down, so to speak. I can ask an end user if their BB is on the Enterprise server, and they'll say "what's that" or "what's that mean;" when I then revise my question, they'll say "oh, yes, I do get my work email on my BB."

The majority of BB users aren't people who spend all day on CrackBerry, Pinstack, or HoFo like we do
    12-30-08 03:19 PM
    It is apparent reading comprehension isn't one of your strong points. Read the entire post in order to see what I am saying instead of what you want to read. You might want to figure out how to not indiscrimately quote entire posts over & over again. Everyone has already read the post many times.

There are people who do the illogical - if you want to do that, you may, but know you're arguing on the basis of faulty logic and/or fallacy.

Multiple calls, including one this morning from AT&T wanting my business and each time I was told yes, you could have a Berry without data but that their promo pricing woiund not apply.

Those promo subsidies have to come from somewhere. If you're not subscribing to a subsidy source, don't expect the subsidy.
    typicall internet drivel...when you dont have a sensible arguement for what i wrote you try to attack me ...i get it
    i dont care who called you or who wants your business...my issue with you is you seem to confuse your opinion with other peoples right to do as they please with their money and property
    i could care less how many times you have to read a post i quoted.....
    what you dont seem to get is that you're not as important as you seem to think you are....i dont agree with your opinion and probably never will...so save your breath
    the end
    12-30-08 03:33 PM
    One last thing...I loved the irony of your post: you rag on Sarah Palin, yet you are the one who was not intelligent enough to know or determine the details of the data plan for the BB....so who's the fool in this case?
    12-30-08 03:34 PM
    One last thing...I loved the irony of your post: you rag on Sarah Palin, yet you are the one who was not intelligent enough to know or determine the details of the data plan for the BB....so who's the fool in this case?
    I'm not unintelligent. But nice try.

What's up with the nastiness on this forum, anyway? I've already apologized to Sarah Palin. Profusely.

Seriously - newcomers like me risk posting in places like this to be corrected and helped - with some degree of civility.

All the snide HA-HA Your DuM stuff is really over the top.

Who manages this site?!
    01-01-09 12:20 PM
    I'm not unintelligent. But nice try.

What's up with the nastiness on this forum, anyway? I've already apologized to Sarah Palin. Profusely.

Seriously - newcomers like me risk posting in places like this to be corrected and helped - with some degree of civility.

All the snide HA-HA Your DuM stuff is really over the top.

Who manages this site?!
    I can't say that I've never jumped on the bandwagon and bashed someone, but I can say that it's never a good thing to do. I'm sorry your first experience here went this way. It's not normally like this.

It's common knowledge in BB-related forums that Verizon requires you to have a data plan for your BB. That's not necessarily the case for people contemplating purchasing a BB. It's the sales person's job to know what they are talking about and make sure you understand what you're agreeing to when you sign up for service. Unfortunately, far too often sales people don't know what they are talking about, or fail to disclose information that might cost them a sale.

If you were misinformed (or under informed) by the sales rep then I think the only thing Verizon owes you is the chance to terminate your contract and return your equipment for a refund. But without wagging my finger at you, if you're beyond your 30 day "worry free" period, Verizon CAN claim that you signed a contract and hold you to it.
    01-02-09 12:31 PM
    Well then maybe newcomers should not start their first posting experience with comments like:

"talking to the supervisor was like talking to Sarah Palin"

If you're going to put comments like that in your post, you're bound to get some nastiness thrown back at you.
    01-02-09 12:42 PM
    Well then maybe newcomers should not start their first posting experience with comments like:

"talking to the supervisor was like talking to Sarah Palin"

If you're going to put comments like that in your post, you're bound to get some nastiness thrown back at you.
    Fair enough.
    01-02-09 04:31 PM
    ...who is a politician, after all, and can fend very well for herself.

In any case, called 611. Verizon supervisor felt I had a case, and extended a month's credit for the data plan.
    01-04-09 12:24 PM
    ...who is a politician, after all, and can fend very well for herself.

In any case, called 611. Verizon supervisor felt I had a case, and extended a month's credit for the data plan.
    Does Sarah Palin use Crackberry.com? If so, I'd like to say, "Hey."
    01-04-09 12:28 PM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD