So i went into Verizon yesterday to only become pissed off. First the reps had no idea about the odin refreshes or about whether or not bb 6 will come to the 9550 or not. Then I saw a rep try to sell a poor guy a Curve instead of a Bold (bb 6 compatible)! Luckily when the rep when away I saved him and told him to get the Bold, which he did Also I found out you have to pay a data plan with EVERY phone! Not just smartphones. Maybe i'm dumb and just wasn't aware of that but jeeze! haha Anyways, overall trip to verizon was worthless. I seemed to know more about phones and verizon then the actual reps!
    08-18-10 12:40 PM
    kudos to you for telling that guy about the Bold. I also don't understand some of their thinking. I have seen a rep try to get a man in his 70's into a droid when in fact I overheard him tell the rep he just wanted a phone for emergencies. I think that is taking huge advantage of a customer. He was so frustrated he walked out. I used to be in wireless sales and I would never try to get a customer into something they didn't want. It reminds me of car salesmen. Some of these reps shouldn't be in the business.

Also so you know, the reps don't find out anything really till it is about to be released. So please don't get mad at them. I have been in that very situation as a rep. They really don't know till they are told what is coming out and being released.
    08-18-10 12:59 PM
    So i went into Verizon yesterday to only become pissed off. First the reps had no idea about the odin refreshes or about whether or not bb 6 will come to the 9550 or not. Then I saw a rep try to sell a poor guy a Curve instead of a Bold (bb 6 compatible)! Luckily when the rep when away I saved him and told him to get the Bold, which he did Also I found out you have to pay a data plan with EVERY phone! Not just smartphones. Maybe i'm dumb and just wasn't aware of that but jeeze! haha Anyways, overall trip to verizon was worthless. I seemed to know more about phones and verizon then the actual reps!
    Good for you! You are so smart and great! You should be given a medal from the mayor of your city!
    08-18-10 01:04 PM
    well just by surfing other forums here you would've known that the storms won't get OS 6, just the bolds and torch's for now. any BB with 256 megs of ram won't run OS6
    08-18-10 01:19 PM
    Also I found out you have to pay a data plan with EVERY phone! Not just smartphones. Maybe i'm dumb and just wasn't aware of that but jeeze! haha Anyways, overall trip to verizon was worthless. I seemed to know more about phones and verizon then the actual reps!
    Not really, considering you didn't know that all media phones require data plans, that's old news.
    08-18-10 01:23 PM
    In store reps are not privy to phone releases until usually a day or two before said phone is released. Same with OS6 speculation. In store reps are there to sell phones, plans and features. Furthermore, they sell what's in stock and what suits the customer. They don't make guesses about upcoming phones and OS's.

The Bold isn't necessarily the right for phone everyone. i'll be getting my husband an Curve if they're still in stock. It's free and he just needs the basic BlackBerry. Why pay $99 for a phone with features you don't need?

VZW has required data plans on all 3G, Smart phones and feature phones for a while now. It makes sense. When someone buys ones of those they inevitable use data. Then customer complains when they've racked up a high bill because they didn't add a data plan.

There are phones that don't require a data plan, such as the LG Cosmos. That has a full keyboard.

You don't know more than the reps. You just knew a bit about the Bold.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-18-10 01:28 PM
    It would be nice if the sales reps at the stores cared enough about the industry to keep up with the news...but they don't. For many of them, it seems to just be a "job", nothing more, nothing less. The fact is, unless any official word comes down the pipes from Verizon (and we all know they prefer to keep things hush-hush), then I'm not surprised if the sales rep didn't know about the Odin refresh OR any details about OS 6 on the Storm.

Having said that, it would be nice they were able to actually make better device suggestions to folks based on their needs.

Devils advocate here...if a guy is in a store wanting a BlackBerry, and hasn't done enough research himself to know the difference between a Curve and a Bold...then there's also a good chance he doesn't really care all that much about being OS 6 compatible. Some just prefer the form factor of the Curve more, and really aren't that interested in bells and whistles (so to speak).

*I probably would have also stepped in and recommended the Bold...for what it's worth.
    08-18-10 01:31 PM
    Correct. For a lot of reps it is just a job, not a fun hobby. When i worked for VZW i was always up on the latest. The other reps in the store (2 of em) only did what they had to sell what's in stock. i didn't mind though.

i'd never buy a phone in store. Only online. Better deals, more info, instant rebates. No chance of getting crap tacked on to your bill. i don't understand why people buy phones in store. i'd go just to physically check out the phone. But that is all.

i had plenty of people buy an older model BlackBerry based on price alone. They needed it for work and didn't care about future OS's. Most people are like this.

08-18-10 01:37 PM

i had plenty of people buy an older model BlackBerry based on price alone. They needed it for work and didn't care about future OS's. Most people are like this.

...and at the very least those are the folks more likely to visit a store to make a purchase, rather than buy online.

Since I'm usually trying to request an early upgrade, I usually have to make most of my purchases over the phone...
    08-18-10 02:01 PM
    you must be reflecting on yourself and your stature in the forum again!
    No. Not at all.
    08-18-10 02:03 PM
    Some people do want all the bells and whistles If you are to have a contract for two years you bet they want a phone they are going to like for that period of time or longer. I prefer to have a phone that will be able to take on the better web browsing and have larger memory capabilities. It is like buying a computer, why settle for less if you know you can get a computer that will do more. I have made purchases in the past on what was available and then regretted it and not getting what would offer more. You end up spending more money and I won't let it happen again. If I have to wait a bit longer, then I will. It sure beats having what you think might be better when actually it isn't.
    08-18-10 02:27 PM
    Like everyone else said, not many reps know about anything until it happens. And why should they? i can understand learning about your industry and trying to stay up to date, but there's a point where it hurts more than helps. OS6 is a perfect example to compare to.

Droid Eris users were promised every feature under the sun once it could get a SW update from 1.6. I can't tell you how many customers I spoke to asking about the update and when it was going to be released. VZW never said anything about it, yet almost 75% of the workforce you talked to would say "oh it's coming Q1 10, in a few weeks, end of jan, etc etc etc". It all come from some stupid rumor online that keeps spreading until the entire company thinks that its true because they heard it from some other employee who reads forums religiously and thinks its truth.

I commend you for wanting to be helpful but don't fault employees for not discussing an operating system that essentially doesn't exist in the VZW world yet. And like many others said, not everyone's priorities are the same as CB.
    08-18-10 04:36 PM
    If I were working in a store I would keep up with everything just because I like the technology. Not all reps care about the newest and latest things about all the phones. They are there just to make money.
    08-18-10 04:43 PM
    Maybe i'm dumb
    You are. There are multiple times when I recommend the Curve over the Bold. Not all customers are BB Geeks like you find on this website. Not all customers need a global phone. I usually throw my own personal two cents in and mention the Bold's upgradability to the new OS when it's released, but most customers could care less about that. Plus, the Curve is a great deal. We'll take care of doing our job, you worry about yourself.
    08-22-10 09:05 AM
    If I were working in a store I would keep up with everything just because I like the technology. Not all reps care about the newest and latest things about all the phones. They are there just to make money.
    When you get right down to it, that's what we are there for, to make money. There are those of us, like myself, that pride ourselves on going above and beyond with knowledge, but I don't hold it against the reps who don't do so. We are not there to sell phones, we are there to sell our service.
    08-22-10 09:07 AM
    i'm worrying about how verizon is stopping support and discounting its bb's flagship phone after 9 months and now im stuck in a contract for 2 years with an out of date phone that can even handle a simple upgrade. Also, verizon stopped testing for the storm 2 with os 6 without giving a reason. I mean sure we can use our minds to guess and speculate but verizon won't even own up to their decisions. It seems to me that they are giving up on bb's and starting to rely on droids.
    08-24-10 04:16 AM
    I don't think it's Verizon's fault but RIM hasn't been making new BBs except the Torch. Don't forget the 9670 will be out too later this year. It's just Droids are the cooler phone and so they sell a lot more.
    08-25-10 02:10 PM
    Just because a VZW rep doesn't tell you about the storm 2 refresh or OS6 doesn't mean they don't anything about. They can't give out information about products that isn't publically known and advertised, if they do they run the risk of being fired. And it being discussed on discussion boards and blogs is not publically known.

08-25-10 10:12 PM
    Well, I am a VZW rep. And I can tell you a lot of us reps simply don't care. By and large, the management is only interested in numbers. And so we provide sub-par customer service to get as high a through-put on activations as possible. It's especially important now, since they've jacked up the quotas without regard to the recent drop in new customers: so, to look 'good' we have to push whatever we can, or get canned for underperforming. And sure, VZW sends its reps to training on new devices, but most of us just don't care enough to actually pay any attention. Not when the entire management treats us front-line reps so poorly.

So do your research online before you ever go to purchase a new phone. You should absolutely know exactly what you want before walking into the store, else you deserve whatever the sales rep pushes on you. Trust me, we're just looking for numbers. Keep the phone for a month, and we're golden.
    08-25-10 11:12 PM
    Just because a VZW rep doesn't tell you about the storm 2 refresh or OS6 doesn't mean they don't anything about. They can't give out information about products that isn't publically known and advertised, if they do they run the risk of being fired. And it being discussed on discussion boards and blogs is not publically known.

And to be honest, no information at all has been provided to us about OS6. Everything I know I've read here.
    08-26-10 06:16 AM
    you must be reflecting on yourself and your stature in the forum again!

+1... - don't know what he's doing here when Luigi and the princess are in the android forum hittin' it.

08-31-10 04:36 PM
    i'm worrying about how verizon is stopping support and discounting its bb's flagship phone after 9 months and now im stuck in a contract for 2 years with an out of date phone that can even handle a simple upgrade. Also, verizon stopped testing for the storm 2 with os 6 without giving a reason. I mean sure we can use our minds to guess and speculate but verizon won't even own up to their decisions. It seems to me that they are giving up on bb's and starting to rely on droids.
    Sorry to break the news to you, but any phone you buy at ANY Carrier will most likely be out dated 4-5 months down the line. Just as a computer you buy will be out dated the following month. Its technology and its a growing industry. Thats why Verizon offers an Annual Upgrade on primary lines.
    09-01-10 03:10 PM
    Was it an authorized dealer or corporate store? The authorized dealers are monkeys and know nothing about corporate vzw. I called the day the droid 2 launched to ask if they had received droid 2 shipment and the authorized dealer said he didn't know when the droid 2 came out. Uh, it came out today dumass. Never go to an authorized dealer.

09-01-10 08:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD