03-19-10 05:05 AM
65 123
tools
    No they won't. If they know the rule, they will tell you they can exchange the device for the same phone except it will be a new device. It won't be a refurbished device. Or they will offer you the opportunity to chance to switch to another device but they will tell you about the restocking fee.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    You think they will choose a restocking fee over the customer buying a phone? Cause during the 30 day wfg the customer has the option to return it all together.

Return it, activate an old phone and go back in 3-4 days and get a different device.

Last edited by OldChristine; 03-05-10 at 10:46 PM.
    03-05-10 10:43 PM
    Dr. Phil in the house!!!!
    Well...I did get my Phd at Cornell. I'm no Dr Phil but I call them as I see them, little guy.

03-05-10 10:51 PM
    It costs Verizon more to sign a new customer although it is not unheard of them giving a credit on the account to offset the restocking fee. It is an automatic fee that is assessed and can only be waived by a credit.

03-05-10 11:27 PM
    It costs Verizon more to sign a new customer although it is not unheard of them giving a credit on the account to offset the restocking fee. It is an automatic fee that is assessed and can only be waived by a credit.

They will credit it, and who says its a new customer?

03-05-10 11:38 PM
    Just tell them the phone freezes or some dumb glitch like that. Then get a different device, they will waive the fee due to the defect. Boom, done.

No Lies OC...Big girls don't lie.
    03-05-10 11:54 PM
    No Lies OC...Big girls don't lie.
    Fair enough Mario......

03-06-10 12:00 AM
    Well...I did get my Phd at Cornell. I'm no Dr Phil but I call them as I see them, little guy.

Lmao, someone is bitter that we beat Cornell in basketball this year!

Go Quakers!
    Last edited by rthjr; 03-06-10 at 12:52 AM.
    03-06-10 12:23 AM
    Lmao, someone is bitter that we beat Cornell in basketball this year!

Go Quakers!
    Don't know what you're talking about, little guy. I'm more interested in brain than brawn.

03-06-10 09:54 AM
    Don't know what you're talking about, little guy. I'm more interested in brain than brawn.

As you imitated Dr. Phil by giving parenting advice, I will join the fun also. You really need to balance the activities you do in life or you will regret it.

Sleep tight, lil' man!

- Go Quakers!
    Last edited by rthjr; 03-06-10 at 05:18 PM.
    03-06-10 05:12 PM

Wow, Cornell? Should we start a thread about school?? I_hiker I will make your phd from Cornell look like a joke! Phd from Cornell + bratty kids + unemployeed = I_hiker.

03-07-10 06:39 PM
    As you imitated Dr. Phil by giving parenting advice, I will join the fun also. You really need to balance the activities you do in life or you will regret it.

Sleep tight, lil' man!

- Go Quakers!
    Ricky sent me a PM the other night and I replied. Don't know if he received it, as his account states: This user has not registered and therefore does not have a profile to view.

Fortunately, I have a very balanced and successful life.

Wow, Cornell? Should we start a thread about school?? I_hiker I will make your phd from Cornell look like a joke! Phd from Cornell + bratty kids + unemployeed = I_hiker.

1. You cannot make my degree look like a joke. I beat you to it by referring to my doctorate as a Phd. It's actually PhD. I think the "D" part is overemphasized in society so I usually defer to the lower case as a joke. You will probably never experience the work ethic it took to complete my education.

2. I'm not a kid. I'm a 50+ adult with the heart of a kid.

3. I own a very successful business and employ 5 amazing guys who are a little less educated but much smarter than me.

Sorry...you flunked the math, spelling, and fact part of this exam.

Wasn't the following written by you in another thread?
    Wow.. First post i have read in awhile that was very infomative and didnt have people bashing one another for what they think...

More advice from Dr. Phil...Practice what you preach

When we walk into a store to buy a phone we expect to walk out with a brand new device, right? If said device is returned, do you think it will magically turn back into a brand new device again? Restocking fees should have a purpose. They should make you think twice (or 3 times) before making that purchase. They should make you realize if you make a wrong decision and want to swap devices, there will be a price to pay. If you make a mistake you need to learn to live with it, or pay the price. I would bet the same folks who are trying to get out of a restock fee are the same ones complaining about a replacement device that is a refurb.
    I'm responding to my own post to bring this thread back on topic and then let it fade into oblivion. I am no fan of VZW as a company except for the fact their network is the best. As a business owner who supplies services and products, re-stocking fees are an unfortunate by-product of the retail or related industry. If I buy a product from a wholesaler and want to return it, I sometimes have to pay a restocking fee, depending on my suppliers' policies. If a client purchases a product from me and wants to return it, there is a restocking fee. Yes, there are exceptions.

The restocking fee is not to punish anyone, it is to help control cash flow and product flow for the business. This allows us to better serve our clients. Basically, we need cash coming in and product going out. A restocking fee helps to regulate that flow. There are consumer protection laws that make it mandatory to refund the purchase price of a product within a specified time period. It is also allowable for a business to charge a restocking fee and that policy should be in writing. All of this is legal and ethical. If you purchase a product, make sure you read the paperwork that goes along with it.

Apparently, VZW is closing loop holes in various parts of their business to improve efficiency. I would not be surprised to see the restocking fee policy addressed as well.
    03-08-10 10:05 AM
    I think the operative phrase here is "sense of entitlement".

It's sorta epidemic in this society these days.

What's interesting to me is how little people understand about the psychology of the retail industry and its usage of return policy as a kind of psychological lever over customers.

Many people adopt the stance that their ability to circumvent a customary fee or charge for something, or purchase an item for a few dollars less than the next guy, means that they are "clever". In reality, they are often just being sucked even more deeply into the lifestyle of endless consumption, whether they need something or not.

I always laugh at the Costco zombies I know who always have tons of stuff in the house they don't use or need, or who are always throwing out food, because Costco doesn't sell products in reasonable portions. "But I got such a great deal on it!!" they say. Haha, jokes on you - half that stuff goes totally to waste.

(Phil - who spent 10 years in retail)
    03-12-10 12:27 AM
    I think the operative phrase here is "sense of entitlement".

It's sorta epidemic in this society these days.

What's interesting to me is how little people understand about the psychology of the retail industry and its usage of return policy as a kind of psychological lever over customers.

Many people adopt the stance that their ability to circumvent a customary fee or charge for something, or purchase an item for a few dollars less than the next guy, means that they are "clever". In reality, they are often just being sucked even more deeply into the lifestyle of endless consumption, whether they need something or not.

I always laugh at the Costco zombies I know who always have tons of stuff in the house they don't use or need, or who are always throwing out food, because Costco doesn't sell products in reasonable portions. "But I got such a great deal on it!!" they say. Haha, jokes on you - half that stuff goes totally to waste.

(Phil - who spent 10 years in retail)
    The VZW reps on this site will really appreciate your comments...if they read them. Your evaluation of the "sense of entitlement" is spot on. Yes...it's epidemic and seems to occupy a lot of time for the VZW crew. They might say this time is better spent helping those that really need help, rather than assisting someone chasing their "entitlement."

I've always been a fan of efficiency..get a task or project done well and move on to the next. Having to deal with a return, exchange, or refund can be counter-productive and negatively impact efficiency.

In the case of the OP, he was sincerely looking to save a few bucks. I believe he ended up paying the restocking fee anyway.

Yes, we are a consumer oriented society. My favorite thing to do at Costco is consume the free food samples on my infrequent visits to the big box giant.
    03-12-10 04:45 PM
    How did this thread go from the op asking a question on Verizon's return policy to a bunch of pathetic people bragging about their sad lives?
    03-12-10 05:01 PM
    You got that wrong: it was the OP who was the pathetic person with the sad life, since he expects to get something for nothing.

Hope that helps.
    03-19-10 05:05 AM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD