03-19-10 05:05 AM
65 123
tools
    Ok I had bought a Droid ERIS with a 2 year contract. I want to swap it for a blackberry tour.... I would like to get out of the 35 dollar restock fee so I am going to return my Droid ERIS and activate a "dumbphone" for 4 days and then purchase the BB tour.

My questions are -

Am I able to return the droid eris and switch back to my old phone and in 4 days be able to purchase the tour for the new contract price?

Is it difficult to return the droid eris back to a dumbphone? What happens to the data plan within my 4 day waiting period?

Thanks!
    03-03-10 03:48 PM
    Okay here ya go:

Yes, you can return the Eris. Since you haven't swapped already, you can just activate the dumbphone. It will take a day or two anyways to have your contract dates change back so you're on month to month. You can wait the 3 days and get a Tour at two year upgrade pricing. If you had a NE2, that will reset when you return your Eris. The good thing about what you're doing is that if you don't like the Tour you'll have your 1 switch since you waited the 3 days.

The data plan will be prorated...it will make your bill look like a mess...but yes.
    03-03-10 05:09 PM
    thanks for the reply. i really appreicate it
    03-03-10 05:31 PM
    +1 to being cheap because you picked the wrong device!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-03-10 10:41 PM
    +1 to being cheap because you picked the wrong device!

Mario, be nice. $35 restock fee is crap.

03-03-10 10:54 PM
    all the companies have a restocking fee. Sometimes it will be waived. They waived it for me but I had issues..........not that I didn't like the phone I had.
    03-03-10 10:58 PM
    I've had my acct notated that all fees like that are still waived, thank you retentions dept!

03-03-10 11:05 PM
    hey im a broke post grad student... looking for a job! I can be cheap =)
    03-04-10 02:04 AM
    Alltel never had a restocking fee but you only had 15 days.
    03-04-10 02:04 AM

No, it's not. It is to deter people from swapping device and be happy with what they have. They can't sell the devices as new, out of the box anymore. Plus, once the device is activated on one acct and moves to another acct, there is NO warranty. And I feel that sucks for the customer.
    03-04-10 02:34 AM
    Your not going to be able to get out of the re-stock fee unless you are actually having problems with the phone and even then it depends on the retailer you go to and who you deal with. If your just returning it cause you don't like it expect to get the re-stock fee charged.
    03-04-10 06:41 AM
    ===== QUOTE OldChristine ====

===== /QUOTE ====

No, it's not. It is to deter people from swapping device and be happy with what they have. They can't sell the devices as new, out of the box anymore. Plus, once the device is activated on one acct and moves to another acct, there is NO warranty. And I feel that sucks for the customer.
    Just like said here the restocking fee is not crap! you can't walk out of a store with a new phone you purchased and then figure out you don't like it so you bring it back in to get a different one. you're an adult and you make the purchase decision so if you end up not liking it and leave with another new phone there has to be some subsidizing of that lower price the store has to sell the phone at. The store is not going to punish themselves for your mistake.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    03-04-10 08:58 AM

You're right it is crap... for VZW!
    03-04-10 09:08 AM
    +1 with bs1two. Verizon can no longer sell that phone. Since they only sell a handful of refurbished phones, it has to go back and be used as a refurbished device. That is a small price to pay to switch to another BRAND NEW phone.
    03-04-10 10:12 AM
    How do I say this without coming off like a ****...

If you're a broke grad student without a job...maybe you shouldn't have a data phone. That's 30+ bucks a month you can live without until you find employment.
    03-04-10 10:13 AM
    I see nothing wrong with restock fee at least you have the ability to exchange for a new device
    03-04-10 10:32 AM
    I've had my acct notated that all fees like that are still waived, thank you retentions dept!

Im sure they told you that. Do you research, find out of its the right phone and then make you purchase. It isnt "crap" because it costs money for the company each time some indecisive person like you buys something and trys to exchange it. Why should the company have to eat it because you are cheap?
    03-04-10 10:33 AM
    If you are a broke student you need to re-evaluate your priorities. Having a PDA isnt a "need" for a student. Needs and wants are different, one day you will understand that.

Stop being cheap, suck it up and pay the fee. You knew about it when you bought the phone.
    03-04-10 10:38 AM
    If you are a broke student you need to re-evaluate your priorities. Having a PDA isnt a "need" for a student. Needs and wants are different, one day you will understand that.

Stop being cheap, suck it up and pay the fee. You knew about it when you bought the phone.
    Ha ha ha I said pretty much the same thing, except I told him to just give up the smartphone all together. Nice.
    03-04-10 10:50 AM
    I want him to keep that smartphone! I like the $30 a month coming in to VZW. If he wants it then I think he needs it... lol.
    03-04-10 10:57 AM
    I have always gotten out of the restocking fee with VZW. My teenagers are always changing their minds on phones.
    03-04-10 11:04 AM
    I have always gotten out of the restocking fee with VZW. My teenagers are always changing their minds on phones.
    Thus the reason it was added in the first place!
    03-04-10 11:21 AM
    How do I say this without coming off like a ****...

If you're a broke grad student without a job...maybe you shouldn't have a data phone. That's 30+ bucks a month you can live without until you find employment.
    Because he has to "look cool" while being broke and finding a job.
    03-04-10 04:00 PM
    When we walk into a store to buy a phone we expect to walk out with a brand new device, right? If said device is returned, do you think it will magically turn back into a brand new device again? Restocking fees should have a purpose. They should make you think twice (or 3 times) before making that purchase. They should make you realize if you make a wrong decision and want to swap devices, there will be a price to pay. If you make a mistake you need to learn to live with it, or pay the price. I would bet the same folks who are trying to get out of a restock fee are the same ones complaining about a replacement device that is a refurb.
    03-04-10 04:45 PM
    I'm sorry, but I feel you should be teaching your teenagers acceptance of responsibility rather than how to beat the system. Making them live with a bad decision that is really only temporary would be a greater lesson for them. Your post is nothing to crow about.
    03-04-10 04:51 PM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD