Hi all, new to the forum just looking for some advice...
    I've read that Verizon is launching PrePaid Blackberry service, it was announced earlier this month and the official launch date is the 28th I think. Does anybody have anymore information about this?
    I'm from the UK and travel to the US quite a lot, normally using an AT&T GoPhone Sim in my iPhone. This will not let you use data though, so I'm stuck with WiFi. I'm looking at this to solve my needs. I can either get the 8530 on Virgin Mobile or, ideally, buy a PrePaid Sim from Verizon that I can stick in my 9700

If anybody knows more that would be awesome, best case scenario is being able to go to a Verizon store, buy just the Blackberry enabled Sim and slot it into my 9700, but I'd be willing to buy a PrePaid phone from them if necessary

Also, correct me if I'm mistaken but I believe you have to be a US Resident to buy a contract phone (need a SSN)?

Saj
    09-26-10 08:26 PM
    Not sure about Verizon pre-paid but in the US Verizon doesn't use a Sim card, it works with CDMA not GSM. I believe T-Mobile has what you're looking for.
    09-26-10 08:45 PM
    Verizon is releasing their prepaid BlackBerry service from tomorrow. Here's the Engadget link to the Verizon Press Release Verizon officially announces prepaid smartphone data packages -- Engadget

I live in Europe but visit the US regularly as my son lives in Charlotte, NC. I shall be going over the Sunday (10/3) and have just bought a Verizon 8330 for $41 on ebay. I hope it works OK because I intend trying to make use of the new Verizon prepaid service within a couple of days of arriving.

I guess that I just have to wait and see what happens.
    09-27-10 12:57 PM
    I'm going over on Monday. If I like what I see tomorrow then I'll go with Verizon, Virgin Mobile is another option with their $35 a month 8530. Third option is take a 9700 along form the UK and hope Simple Mobile launch BIS soon
    09-27-10 01:07 PM
    I have been using my old 8100 as a prepaid over there for years. There is NOBODY (in September 2010) that will give you a deal like O2 or Orange in the UK on GSM.

T-Mobile and Boost Mobile (CDMA) have deals but you have to buy a phone first and then it's $60 / month. MR SIMCard has a deal but it starts at $113 per month (minutes included).

You also need to consider the coverage of the network you choose. Verizon has by far the best coverage across the US but it's CDMA and that means you need a new phone.

This is what I have ended up doing. I do not much like CDMA for a number of silly personal reasons BUT I do need the coverage. That's why I bought a dedicated Verizon phone.
    09-27-10 06:51 PM
    Sadly there's no Verizon handsets on eBay right now. I have been told they are launching the PrePaid Blackberrys tomorrow online, along with a host of other phones. I guess I'll wait until then to decide. It looks like Verizon will be charging $45 for a basic calling package then another $30 a month for data, so $75 base plus whatever they charge for the phone. I imagine it won't be cheap but definitely a more reliable option than Virgin, IMO. Bold 9650 would be my choice having looked at the lineup
    09-27-10 06:57 PM
    Go to virginmobileusa.com they run on the Sprint network and they have prepaid Blackberry service starting at 35 dollars, plus the device for 250 dollars, best way to visit USA frequently.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-28-10 01:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD