11-09-08 03:54 PM
51 123
tools
    I get mixed answers on how soon you can "actually" upgrade/change a plan if you are in a 2 - year contract. Most people tell me that if you are on a two year contract that you can actually get a new phone at a reduced rate after about 10 months as long as you sign up for another 2-year commitment.

This is sort of like allowing a person to get a new phone each year, as long as you extend your contract. Is this true? Also, can you change the terms of your contract? For instance reduce/increase anytime phone minutes.

Thanks for any help to clear up my normal level of confusion.
    09-09-08 06:51 PM
    Vzw has a new every 2 plan, IE a phone upgrade every two years. You can change your plan, however, whenever you like without extending your contract.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-09-08 06:53 PM
    My understanding is that you can change your plan anytime. But you won't get a new phone for changing your plan unless it was two years since the last time. Let me clarify. You can buy a new phone anytime, but you won't get the $50 discount until after two years, but you can switch plans anytime in that time. You just have to continue service with them until your contract is up.

That is my understanding of it.
    09-09-08 06:55 PM
    VZW's policy is "new every two," which translates into a up to $100 credit towards a new phone every 2 years. I've heard that they will also do the upgrade when you get within two months or so of the end of the 2 years. My experience is that they used to be a lot more flexible if you talked nice (especially with a VZW phone rep). However, I was unable to get them to do anything when I bought the 8130 (which I subsequently returned) because I had bought a new phone about 9 months before. I had to pay full price. And, if you are on the Family share plan, only the master phone gets the upgrade every two years, though you can get them to upgrade another line with a little juggling of paper work. However, if you do that, you have to wait another two years from that upgrade for another.
    09-09-08 06:55 PM
    Actually, I have several lines on my account, including an aircard, and I've been eligible for upgrades on every line.

09-09-08 07:02 PM
    Actually, I have several lines on my account, including an aircard, and I've been eligible for upgrades on every line.

Jenay, is that a family plan or several separate lines? I have two separate lines, and I was thinking of switching to a family plan and adding a line.
    09-09-08 07:06 PM
    Just stating Verizon facts, actually they wanted my wife and I to switch to a share plan for minutes.... They said that only the primary line would be eligible. I said no thanks. Since she is half way thru her upgrade process and wants a new phone now..... And also I would lose mine as well....
    09-09-08 07:07 PM
    I have my pimary line, then each additional line is $9.99/mo. All minutes are shared, and I have an unlimited package for the primary, which I use. Works great.

09-09-08 07:08 PM
    Just stating Verizon facts, actually they wanted my wife and I to switch to a share plan for minutes.... They said that only the primary line would be eligible. I said no thanks. Since she is half way thru her upgrade process and wants a new phone now..... And also I would lose mine as well....
    That's so weird. Whatever rep told you that was dead wrong.

09-09-08 07:08 PM
    In September 2006 I got a Verizon 2 year contract for a single line. They let me up grade in May of 2008 and I got all the "renew" incentives.
    09-09-08 07:16 PM
    According to the Verizon Website you CAN upgrade your phone each year at it's "promotional price." Of course this would not be eligible for the New Every Two discounts.

Here is how it reads from the Verizon Site:

How is my upgrade price calculated?
    By extending your contract, you may qualify for a discounted price, depending on when you last purchased a new phone at a discounted price, and your contract term.
    - Customers on a one-year contract may upgrade at a discounted price after 10 months.
    - Customers on a two-year contract may upgrade at a discounted price after just 20 months.
    Plus, if you're currently enrolled in our New Every Two program*, you will be eligible for an additional discount with a two-year contract extension.
    You may always choose to upgrade without extending your contract at full retail price.

Annual Upgrade available for My Account customers
    You can get a new phone every year with Annual Upgrade. Sign up for a 2-year agreement on a calling plan of at least $49.99 and you can purchase a new phone at its promotional price through My Account every year with a 2-year renewal (upgrade fee may apply).

New Every Two Program*
    If you enrolled in the program prior to February 5, 2006 and continued to meet the requirements of the program, you will be eligible for a free phone up to $100, or a credit of up to $100 toward a more expensive phone, when you become eligible for your next New Every Two upgrade (after which time you will be enrolled in the $50/$100 New Every Two program described below).

If you enrolled in the program on February 5, 2006 or after you will qualify for a free phone up to a $50 or $100 value, depending on the monthly access of your plan. If your calling plan monthly access is $79.99 or higher for the entire three months prior to completing your New Every Two phone upgrade, you will get up to $100.00 toward the purchase of a new phone. If your calling plan monthly access was between $34.99 and $79.98 at any time during the three months prior to completing your New Every Two phone upgrade, you will get up to $50.00 toward the purchase of a new phone.
    09-09-08 07:31 PM
    I have the family plan with 3 lines. We all get new every 2. I recently received a letter informing me that I am a VIP member. This allows me to get a new phone after one year. Of course you have to renew your contract for 2 years.

09-09-08 09:04 PM
    You have a family plan where all three lines get a NE2. You are paying 9.99 for the second and third lines? I do not think they are getting NE2 on those. but hey there are always exceptions or it is a VIP privilage
    09-09-08 09:13 PM
    Only the primary line gets the ne2 discount.

09-09-08 09:19 PM
    Uhh. Then why do I get ne2 on all my lines? I've even used my aircard line to upgrade my device.

09-09-08 09:31 PM
    Are they seperate lines? or family share?
    09-09-08 09:38 PM
    With single line plans priced 39.99 to 79.98 you r elgible to upgrade every 20 months with a 50 credit 2wards new phone with new contract.plans 79.99 or high you get a 100 credit . You can also do an annual upgrade but will lose the credit. On family share plans only the primary line gets the credit and the other lines r elgible to upgrade but without the credit..if the primary line is on a plan 79.99 or higher they can upgrade every year. There are exceptions ie: multipe software or services issues with a phone or possibly if you want to go from a basic handset to a blackberry or other pda. The vip program gives the primary line an extra 50 off a handset. The ealry upgrade is something you would be elgible for anyway based on your price plan , its why you are a vip.This is based on a 2 year contract. 1 year is at 10 months at 1 year pricing. Only 2 year contracts have the credit available. The price plan you can change anytime it will not extend your contract but will charge you a month in advance.
    09-09-08 09:39 PM
    Are they seperate lines? or family share?
    All I know is that I have my primary which I have unlimited everything on, then I pay 9.99 for each additional plus the plan minutes my additional lines share.

09-09-08 09:41 PM
    If I recall, you have a family member that is an employee of VZW, are your lines tied to their account?
    09-09-08 09:44 PM
    If I recall, you have a family member that is an employee of VZW, are your lines tied to their account?
    Yep. That would be my mum. Our accounts, however, are separate.

09-09-08 09:58 PM
    Hmm, then stay quiet and enjoy the Ne2 on all the line s
    09-09-08 10:11 PM
    Hmmm... Interesting..

09-09-08 10:12 PM
    Way to go off topic everyone.

To the original poster:

You can upgrade your phone after 10 months, even during a 2-year contract. All it requires is the signing of a new 2-year contract. When you upgrade after 10 months, you will get the phone at the promotional price, but you will NOT get the New Every 2 OR Advanced Device Credit. If the associate refuses to allow you the upgrade after 10 months, there is an easy maneuver to save you from paying full price for a new device: Simply add a new line at 9.99/month and buy the phone you want. Cancel the line the next day and keep the phone.

If, however, you wait the full two years, and you are the primary line, you will be eligible for both the NE2 AND the Advanced Device Credit ($50 or $100 depending on your plan).

If you are NOT the primary line, you will be eligible for the NE2 credit only.

Also, you can change your plan at any time by visiting vzw.com or going into a corporate store. However, you can only change your plan TWICE per billing cycle.

I hope I answered your questions. Remember, there's always a way to get what you want--you just have to use the system to your advantage.
    09-10-08 12:18 AM
    lol no thread ever stays on topic
    09-10-08 12:47 AM
    Way to go off topic everyone.

there is an easy maneuver to save you from paying full price for a new device: Simply add a new line at 9.99/month and buy the phone you want. Cancel the line the next day and keep the phone.
    This will not work. When you cancel the added 9.99 line within the 30 days you must return the equipment. Otherwise you WILL be charged full retail price for the phone.

09-10-08 06:39 AM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD