Hello everyone. New to the BlackBerry community, looking to get a Storm on release. Was confused a little about the Verizon Blackberry plans, so I was hoping someone could clear this up for me.

I'm trying to understand these plans exactly. There is the Email Plan, Email and Messaging Plan, and the "Solution" Plan. I'm slightly confused as to what each gets you.

1. Do the email and email+messaging plans get you web browsing access?
    2. Do you have to have the email+messaging plan to instant message (AIM, etc.), or is it simply text/picture/video messages?
    3. Is the Solution plan simply internet access without a voice plan?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    10-09-08 09:41 PM
    Hello everyone. New to the BlackBerry community, looking to get a Storm on release. Was confused a little about the Verizon Blackberry plans, so I was hoping someone could clear this up for me.

I'm trying to understand these plans exactly. There is the Email Plan, Email and Messaging Plan, and the "Solution" Plan. I'm slightly confused as to what each gets you.

1. Do the email and email+messaging plans get you web browsing access? [r] no, you need email and web [/r]
    2. Do you have to have the email+messaging plan to instant message (AIM, etc.), or is it simply text/picture/video messages? [r] its data, so no [/r]
    3. Is the Solution plan simply internet access without a voice plan? [r] no its for secure work servers [/r]

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Bottom line, All you need is the emai lanbd web plan for internet use and txting is additional.
    10-10-08 01:01 AM
    Bottom line, All you need is the emai lanbd web plan for internet use and txting is additional.
    Thanks. So instant messenger service doesn't require the txting plan, even though they metnion instant messenger in the plan description?
    10-10-08 05:43 AM
    IMs work on the data side, not SMS text messages. Text messages are different than IMs.
    10-10-08 09:45 AM
    To clarify:

If you use the Mobile IM (AIM, Yahoo, MSN) that you download from the VZW site on your blackberry you will be using SMS.

If you use the programs downloaded from Blackberry site itself you will be using data.

What you will need is:

A voice plan (if you want to talk on the phone)
    A messege plan (if you want to send text, pictures and videos and use VZW Mobile IM)
    A Blackberry Email & Web plan (BIS or BES) (for email, internet, BBM, Blackberry Instant Messeger program)

There is a plan that bundles all of this or you can get each separate.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 10-10-08 at 10:03 AM.
    10-10-08 10:00 AM
    Huh, I spoke with a VZW CS rep a few weeks ago, and she said I could IM to my heart's content, AND that it was covered by unlimited data.
    10-10-08 10:31 AM
    Huh, I spoke with a VZW CS rep a few weeks ago, and she said I could IM to my heart's content, AND that it was covered by unlimited data.
    Like stated above - depends on what application you use. If you IM a lot, look into a 3rd party app like JiveTalk to IM+ - well worth the one time fee and they use data - and then you can IM to your hearts content
    10-10-08 10:34 AM
    If you use Instant Messenging from here it is DATA:
    BlackBerry - Instant Messaging

If you use Instant Messenging from here it is SMS: (this is found the VZW Homepage that is loaded on the Blackberry)
    VZStart

Just be aware of which you download and use!
    10-10-08 11:00 AM
    I'm using a 3rd-party app called Instango...pretty sure it's data, but can anyone verify this? How could I veryify this? lol
    10-10-08 11:19 AM
    It's data...when I'm in a "dead zone" (like at this school today), it won't even connect, so it's data.
    10-10-08 11:20 AM
    I'm using a 3rd-party app called Instango...pretty sure it's data, but can anyone verify this? How could I veryify this? lol
    Instango uses data.
    10-10-08 12:23 PM
    It's data...when I'm in a "dead zone" (like at this school today), it won't even connect, so it's data.
    So considering this, there could be times depending on the kind of signal you have available that SMS would work but Data would not?

I suppose that could be another consideration.
    10-10-08 04:09 PM
    This is true. I couldn't IM anyone when the phone is not in 1XEV service.
    10-10-08 04:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD