08-23-12 09:43 PM
48 12
tools
    I'd be interested to hear what they say about the S3 pre-order. No matter what they say get it in writing (even that might not be enough knowing verizon).

So if I were to order that now, would I lose my tiered data since the S3 wouldn't be in use until after it shipped in July?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    06-18-12 02:12 PM
    I'd be interested to hear what they say about the S3 pre-order. No matter what they say get it in writing (even that might not be enough knowing verizon).

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    It will be interesting to see what they say. I may call them after I've had a couple more days to think the S3 over. I might even email them through the VZW website, so that I can get an email as proof. You're right though; even that might not be enough (I'm sure they could always blame it on a new employee or something if they decided to reneg on unltd data!). In one way, I think that ordering the phone should allow me to retain the unltd data because I'm going into another contract. Not to mention I'd be getting the $30 upgrade credit toward the S3 that you can only receive if you sign into another contract. BUT, if they don't actually put me in a new contract until I receive the phone...I would lose out on the unltd data. The more I think about this, the worse it's getting in my mind. Yikes.
    06-18-12 02:20 PM
    xandermac, just wanted to update you on what a VZW rep told me regarding pre-ordering the S3 and my current data plan. The rep who answered my email stated that as long as I order the phone prior to June 28th, I will be able to keep my unlimited data. He also said the S3 looks like an awesome phone, lol. I really wish I could put my hands on one of the S3's before actually ordering it. I don't have huge hands, and some reviews I've read say it's kind of hard to handle with one hand due to the size. I hate ordering stuff sight unseen, but I don't have much of a choice on this one.
    Last edited by stang.girl; 06-20-12 at 08:45 AM.
    06-20-12 07:29 AM
    That's good news AND you have it in writing so at the very least you should be able to return it (and keep unlimited) if they renege on their word.

Apparently its "slightly larger and thicker than the galaxy nexus"; "screen is almost identical in size to the HTC OneX"; so if those two feel too big the S3 definitely will.

According to Josh Miller at CNet:

"My hands are fairly small, so I passed the phone around to see what others thought, regardless of their personal phone choice. Most initially found the S3 large, but warmed up to it as they played around. Those with smaller hands than mine generally thought it too big. Almost all of them commented on the light weight"

It's tough sight unseen.
    Last edited by xandermac; 06-20-12 at 01:43 PM.
    06-20-12 01:36 PM
    I pulled the trigger and pre-ordered a blue Samsung 32Gb S3 yesterday. I haven't had a contract in over 4yrs. I've been using a used 9630, then a 9650. Paid full freight for my 9930 when it came out. I was ready for something new, but still feel the 6/28 deadline is a bit unfair. This time around I signed up for a 2 year contract. I'm not going to be leaving VZW any time soon. So I figured WTH. Also wanted to lock in a LTE capable phone to the new agreement.

I can also confirm that with pre-order you keep your $30 unlimited data. One good thing is that your CC is not charged until the phone ships. My paperwork said by 7/11.
    Last edited by CarFan; 06-25-12 at 12:57 AM.
    06-25-12 12:50 AM
    I'm going to have my mom (account owner) move our plan over to the new one because we will save money. We already pay too much.

OLD PLAN
    110 2000 min plus unlimited text
    9.99 x 4 for add a line
    30 x 3 for 3 unlimited data plans
    30 one mobile hotspot
    Total: $270 plus tax and insurance

NEW PLAN
    100 base price for 10GB
    40 x 3 for 3 smartphones
    30 for one dumbphone
    Total: $250 plus tax and insurance

So not only is it $20 cheaper, our minutes will no longer be limited, everyone with smartphones can hotspot (not just the one) and we'll never have to worry about someone throttling the data.

Posted from my Droid Razr Maxx.
    06-25-12 10:39 AM
    I'm going to have my mom (account owner) move our plan over to the new one because we will save money. We already pay too much.

OLD PLAN
    110 2000 min plus unlimited text
    9.99 x 4 for add a line
    30 x 3 for 3 unlimited data plans
    30 one mobile hotspot
    Total: $270 plus tax and insurance

NEW PLAN
    100 base price for 10GB
    40 x 3 for 3 smartphones
    30 for one dumbphone
    Total: $250 plus tax and insurance

So not only is it $20 cheaper, our minutes will no longer be limited, everyone with smartphones can hotspot (not just the one) and we'll never have to worry about someone throttling the data.

How much data does all 3 smartphones use per month combined? If at any moment 12GBs are needed between the 3, your $20 a month savings just went out the window.
    06-26-12 06:17 AM
    How much data does all 3 smartphones use per month combined? If at any moment 12GBs are needed between the 3, your $20 a month savings just went out the window.
    No more than 6GB-7GB. The heaviest its ever been was about 8.5GB months ago. The other two have tethered but it's against the TOS. I am the worst and I'm getting good about using wifi. Having 10GB would be a good safety net.

06-26-12 05:24 PM
    Anyone with Hotspot please answer:

Can you talk on the phone, BBM, and use your iPad all at once with the Hotspot enabled?

I would consider switching to this plan as an individual because I could eliminate a business iPhone, have unlmt minutes on my bb, and opt for 2gbs of data as well as an iPad...I am on wifi at home and wifi at work, and I've never tapped a gb off of wifi in my 5 years with a BlackBerry.

For all of that I would be paying around the same as I am now for 900 minutes and unlmt data...But I could really use an iPad and really knix the iPhone.
    06-26-12 05:34 PM
    Does anyone know how much basic phone's are going to cost, per line?
    06-26-12 05:38 PM
    Anyone with Hotspot please answer:

Can you talk on the phone, BBM, and use your iPad all at once with the Hotspot enabled?

I would consider switching to this plan as an individual because I could eliminate a business iPhone, have unlmt minutes on my bb, and opt for 2gbs of data as well as an iPad...I am on wifi at home and wifi at work, and I've never tapped a gb off of wifi in my 5 years with a BlackBerry.

For all of that I would be paying around the same as I am now for 900 minutes and unlmt data...But I could really use an iPad and really knix the iPhone.
    As long as you are on 4G, you can do it, yep. Thunderbolt was the only phone that could do both data and voice on 3G. Otherwise you need to be on 4G. My boyfriend uses a verizon smartphone on Page plus, no data plan, so I often hotspot to give him data. The connection usually holds when I'm on the phone too.

06-26-12 06:14 PM
    Does anyone know how much basic phone's are going to cost, per line?
    Of you stay on your Family Plan, it stays the same. On the new plan it will be $30 per basic phone.
    06-26-12 09:34 PM
    Wow, I guess I am screwed. I missed this whole thing until I logged on to pay my bill today and a pop-up came up w/ the new plan. I guess I'll never get a new smart phone now. Not worth having to pay over $1500 for two new iPhones to keep my unlimited data plan.
    06-29-12 10:22 AM
    Im thinking about switching to the new share everything plan. I think its a bargain. I get to keep my same plan and only pay a few dollars more for unlimited minutes.

Current Plan

450 mins
    Unlimited Texts
    300mb data
    = 69.99 excluding tax

New Share Everything Plan
    Unlimited Minutes
    Unlimited Text
    300mb data
    = $72.80 excluding tax

Am i missing something here? because this seems like a great deal.
    07-22-12 05:32 PM
    Am i missing something here?
    With a smartphone on the SE plan, the minimum amount of data (called "account access") is 1GB and the charge for that, alone, is $50/month. Then you add the "line access" charge of $40 for your smartphone and you wind up with a total of $90/month.

You must have been looking at a different plan and/or device (perhaps a basic phone).
    07-22-12 10:29 PM
    With a smartphone on the SE plan, the minimum amount of data (called "account access") is 1GB and the charge for that, alone, is $50/month. Then you add the "line access" charge of $40 for your smartphone and you wind up with a total of $90/month.

You must have been looking at a different plan and/or device (perhaps a basic phone).

No, this is for my 9930. It was $40 + $40 for 300mb of data for a total of $80. With my company discount it goes down to $72.80/mo.

I guess its a regional thing because the lowest data plan starts at 300mb instead of 1gb.

I've had 300mb of data all along and only use about 100mb a month.

I'm gaining unlimited minutes for about $4 extra month. Now I don't have to worry about going over my minutes. I think its a good deal.
    07-22-12 10:34 PM
    No, this is for my 9930. It was $40 + $40 for 300mb of data for a total of $80. With my company discount it goes down to $72.80/mo.

I guess its a regional thing because the lowest data plan starts at 300mb instead of 1gb.

I've had 300mb of data all along and only use about 100mb a month.

I'm gaining unlimited minutes for about $4 extra month. Now I don't have to worry about going over my minutes. I think its a good deal.
    What region are you in?
    07-22-12 10:36 PM
    What region are you in?

U.S.

Atlanta, GA
    07-22-12 10:37 PM
    Actually, you are correct. It is, indeed, $40 + $40. My mistake. This, however, was not shown on the VZW's plan page at all. I had to go all the way through the order process before the 300MB add-on was offered.
    07-22-12 10:43 PM
    Actually, you are correct. It is, indeed, $40 + $40. My mistake. This, however, was not shown on the VZW's plan page at all. I had to go all the way through the order process before the 300MB add-on was offered.
    Yes! they show the 1gb and 2gb data plan first but you have to scroll to the left to see the 300mb plan. They really tried to hide it.
    07-22-12 10:45 PM
    I was also confused as to why it wasn't showing the 300MB option on my end, I even used an Atlanta ZIP code.
    07-22-12 10:46 PM
    I was also confused as to why it wasn't showing the 300MB option on my end, I even used an Atlanta ZIP code.
    its there. they show the plan options starting with 2gb, but there is a scroll bar at the bottom. Move it to the left and you will see the 300mb and 1gb plan
    07-22-12 10:50 PM
    The plan in question is for non smart phones. You can add up to 9 additional lines one of which may be a smartphone for $30 (or $40) each, but the primary line must be a smartphone. The price quoted is for ONE basic phone
    08-23-12 09:43 PM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD