It seems clear that BlackBerry does not have another BB10 device in the pipeline and is focused on releasing the PRIV and possibly a second Android device. After reading the news articles on CrackBerry today, I decided to peruse the VZW site for phone options as I am not interested in Android or iOS. The Classic and Z30 are the only available BlackBerry smartphones. I currently own a VZW Z30 and a Passport with T-Mobile service. I know my devices will continue to work if BlackBerry decides not to make another BB10 device. I also know (at least I hope) my Z30 will receive the upcoming software updates.

I am considering purchasing a second Z30 to keep as spare. If no other BB10 devices are available on Verizon and you have no interest in Android or iOS and need (or prefer) Verizon service, what phone options are worth considering beyond BB10?

Windows phone is potentially an option, however the selection is currently limited on the VZW site. Are we really moving toward Android and iOS as the only phone options with Verizon?

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Z30
    10-09-15 06:45 PM
    I have been pondering this also. I have a Z10, and bought a used Z10 as a backup in case my first one fails. Just this week, I discovered I am no longer able to back my phone up (sync) to Outlook, and I've been on the phone with BB Tech Support for 8+ hours while they've tried to sort this seeming Link problem out, unsuccessfully so far. So I've been thinking about what to do if I can no longer use a Z10.

A Z30 or Classic is too large for me to use comfortably. My only other carrier option here is USCC, and they no longer carry BB. So my choices are a Z30 that I don't want, or move to iOS or Windows, and I don't really like those either. I've been a BB user for 15 years and I feel like I've been abandoned by RIM.
    10-09-15 08:08 PM
    Verizon is unfriendly to other OS besides IOS/Android. Even the new upcoming Win10 phone won't make it to Verizon.
    undone likes this.
    10-09-15 08:28 PM
    Wow! So it's iOS or Android on Verizon. I am willing to take a look at the new Windows Phones and hoped Verizon would carry one or both of the recently announced devices. I guess I need to look for a spare Z30.

10-09-15 10:09 PM
    Verizon is unfriendly to other OS besides IOS/Android. Even the new upcoming Win10 phone won't make it to Verizon.
    Regarding Windows 10, Microsoft is actually giving a carrier exclusive to AT&T on those new products. Neither Sprint nor T-Mobile can get them either. Can't blame Big Red for that one. (T-Mobile has been publicly griping about it too.)
    10-12-15 07:17 AM
    Regarding Windows 10, Microsoft is actually giving a carrier exclusive to AT&T on those new products. Neither Sprint nor T-Mobile can get them either. Can't blame Big Red for that one. (T-Mobile has been publicly griping about it too.)
    According to many over at Windows Central, the new Windows Phones don't have the required band to work on Verizon. Their options seem more limited than BlackBerry options with Verizon. At least the AT&T version will work on T-Mobile. Not an option with Verizon.

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Passport
    10-12-15 09:04 AM
    According to many over at Windows Central, the new Windows Phones don't have the required band to work on Verizon. Their options seem more limited than BlackBerry options with Verizon. At least the AT&T version will work on T-Mobile. Not an option with Verizon.
    Well that's not much of a surprise if they never intended to sell them on any US network other than AT&T's. There is no such thing as a single hardware model that works across all carriers anyway, most vendors have at least 3-4 different variants of each model especially if they sell the phones around the world.

Generally speaking these days in the USA a phone designed for AT&T will be at least 90-95% functional on T-Mobile and vice-versa. But not with Verizon or Sprint because the network technology and frequency bands are quite different. Sprint is actually the most unusual network because it uses 3 different types of transmission technologies on its network (CDMA/IS95, WiMax, and LTE) and can use 3 concurrent data streams at the same time.
    10-12-15 10:08 AM
    Wow! I haven't seen you in a long time. I've always enjoyed reading your clear and informative posts.

Posted from my Verizon Z10 10.3.2.858
    Omnitech likes this.
    10-12-15 12:15 PM
    Well that's not much of a surprise if they never intended to sell them on any US network other than AT&T's. There is no such thing as a single hardware model that works across all carriers anyway, most vendors have at least 3-4 different variants of each model especially if they sell the phones around the world.
    Actually there is. The new Moto X Pure and the new Nexus devices are carrier independent. All are good with the 4 major carriers. Yes I know they're both Android. The new Iphones are also carrier free.
    10-14-15 02:41 PM
    For those contemplating getting a spare z30 there are a couple of phone stores on ebay that sell never used z30s at a decent price. I bought one for me and one for my sister. All in boxes with chargers and never used for $218. I can't imagine using another phone so I have my backup ready to go just in case.
    10-15-15 11:45 AM
    For those contemplating getting a spare z30 there are a couple of phone stores on ebay that sell never used z30s at a decent price. I bought one for me and one for my sister. All in boxes with chargers and never used for $218. I can't imagine using another phone so I have my backup ready to go just in case.
    Please share the name of the store. Thanks!

10-15-15 07:32 PM
    Actually there is. The new Moto X Pure and the new Nexus devices are carrier independent. All are good with the 4 major carriers. Yes I know they're both Android. The new Iphones are also carrier free.

Just so's you know: the USA is not the only place in the world with cellular networks.

And re: iPhones:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...-6-models.html
    https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=032mW9HY

As you can see, there are multiple models of the iPhones, even for the USA market. (And the iPhones do not support Sprint's WiMax network at all, though that is increasingly unimportant as that network will finally shutdown next month)
    10-21-15 11:32 AM
    apple allows you to buy every model of the phone direct from then. Why can't blackberry do this?
    10-23-15 01:02 PM
    apple allows you to buy every model of the phone direct from then. Why can't blackberry do this?
    Apple has a fist. BB only has a finger.
    00stryder and Omnitech like this.
    10-23-15 01:07 PM

Generally speaking these days in the USA a phone designed for AT&T will be at least 90-95% functional on T-Mobile and vice-versa. But not with Verizon or Sprint because the network technology and frequency bands are quite different. Sprint is actually the most unusual network because it uses 3 different types of transmission technologies on its network (CDMA/IS95, WiMax, and LTE) and can use 3 concurrent data streams at the same time.
    I think that has changed with an universal chip from Qualcomm. From the bits I have read about the new Lumia, it contains this particular chip, but just lacks access to LTE channel 13 which is Verizon, so its not even the CDMA that is the issue (potentially). I believe we are starting to see the end of specific carrier designed phones, hopefully ending the argument of CDMA vs GSM.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-23-15 02:40 PM
    I think that has changed with an universal chip from Qualcomm. From the bits I have read about the new Lumia, it contains this particular chip, but just lacks access to LTE channel 13 which is Verizon, so its not even the CDMA that is the issue (potentially). I believe we are starting to see the end of specific carrier designed phones, hopefully ending the argument of CDMA vs GSM.

Not in the immediate future. USians tend to assume that the only cellular carriers in the world are in the USA, when in reality China's mobile market alone is around 3 times the size of the USA's. Verizon is the largest US carrier with about 140 million customers, whereas China Mobile (which is not a monopoly in China BTW, there are several other carriers) has over 800 million customers.

This is why, despite improvements in multi-band antennas on smartphones, Apple for example still makes 3 variants of each of their latest iPhone models, for a total of 6 variants of iPhone 6s/6s+, and an equal or higher number of variants of the iPhone 6, and earlier models.

The main reason we have so many restricted models in the USA is because the carriers have engineered and demanded this. Only since very recent legal rulings giving every US customer the right to "unlock" their cellular devices, has this started to change.
    10-23-15 05:55 PM
    Apple has a fist. BB only has a finger.
    I just hope they're not giving us the finger.
    10-25-15 08:48 AM
    I just hope they're not giving us the finger.
    They already have.

CB10 VZW Z10 OS 10.3.2.858
    DJM626 likes this.
    10-26-15 06:31 AM