So.... I was excited to hear Verizon was going to get the curve, and I was decided that of course I was going to get the curve, for the full keyboard and the bigger screen - IF I could convince myself the larger phone wouldn't be an issue.

I have been doing some comparing at local stores that currently offer the curve, and found the size really is not an issue - the only difference is the curve is just slightly wider - most other aspects are the same.

So then I started to ask myself - why would I want to make the switch? The only real differences I could see were the screen size, the full keyboard, and the extra width of the handset. The screen is just slightly wider, but really not signifigantly so, and the full size keyboard was apealing at first - but I have come to love my pearls keys... so what would I really be gaining for the extra width of the phone - and which would be more comfortable hold/talk on/type on?

The keys of the Pearl are larger than those on the curve, and now that I have learned how to use suretype, I can breeze through typing quite quickly. Actually, I wonder if I might type faster on the Pearls keyboard because the keys themselves are larger, and closer together, as opposed to the smaller individual keys of the curve, which are spaced out more.

SO - the pearl is just slightly smaller - and the only advantage (given that the keyboard on the Pearl has proven to not be a downfall), would be the width of the screen on the curve.

I would have been quickly sold if Verizon's curve were to include GSM (worldphone) or wifi - but that didn't happen..

I don't want to buy a curve and then regret it and have made a mistake - so, are any of you planning on switching from the pearl to the curve when it comes out? If so why - I'd love to hear why some of you are switching... and why some of you might just stay with the Pearl?

Also - I would love to hear from anyone who has owned both - and get your opinions on the advantages/downfalls of both and why you prefer one over the other.

Thanks!
    04-08-08 08:40 PM
    Also - forgot to mention.. with my pearl, the entire keyboard illuminates at night, with the "letters" written in black on the illuminated keys. Looking at the design of the new verizon curve, it appears to me that keys are darkened, with the letters written in white, so only the letters will illuminate - does anyone have any insight into this? I'm not too familiar with other blackberry models, but on my pearl it's nice to have a abundance of light on the keyboard at night... other opinions?
    04-08-08 09:48 PM
    I love the pearl because it is small and easy to manage.
    04-08-08 09:53 PM
    MEMORY.

Pearl = 64 mb
    Curve = 96 mb

'Nuff said.
    04-19-08 02:13 PM
    MEMORY.

Pearl = 64 mb
    Curve = 96 mb

'Nuff said.
    Great point!
    04-19-08 02:19 PM
    The Pearl is know as the "ChickBerry". If you're a guy, you should get the Curve or risk relentless bludgeoning from friends and co-workers.

Just a thought...
    04-19-08 04:36 PM
    Pearl is okay for a guy, if you wear a suite all day the pearl works well. But yes the Curve is more manly, but they both are blackberries and that is all that matters.
    04-19-08 04:38 PM
    "but they both are blackberries and that is all that matters"

Well said...
    04-19-08 05:08 PM
    I love my Pearl because it's small, light, and easy to use. I am looking into getting a Curve though (I'm a sucker for the 4.5 OS beta!)
    04-19-08 05:18 PM
    The Pearl is know as the "ChickBerry". If you're a guy, you should get the Curve or risk relentless bludgeoning from friends and co-workers.

Just a thought...
    I know more males with Pearls than females. I've never thought of them as feminine for it.

That said, I'm going for the Curve for really one reason - memory.
    04-19-08 06:12 PM

Just a thought...
    i'm 6-1 , 220...

i dont find the pearl makes me a chick...

and friends and co-workers dont bludgeon me much...

-db
    04-19-08 06:20 PM
    After hearing rumors for months about a Curve coming to VZW I thought I would wait to have a full keyboard and camera. I was given a Pearl to use for a while and I don't think I want to give it back now. The suretype is fantastic. Even though the Curve isn't much wider, the Pearl feels so much smaller in your pocket. I would like to see a dark grey or black Pearl but I don't want any other carrier. The extra memory sounds cool but I don't think it's worth the added size. I think I'm staying with the Pearl.
    04-19-08 07:08 PM
    After hearing rumors for months about a Curve coming to VZW I thought I would wait to have a full keyboard and camera. I was given a Pearl to use for a while and I don't think I want to give it back now. The suretype is fantastic. Even though the Curve isn't much wider, the Pearl feels so much smaller in your pocket. I would like to see a dark grey or black Pearl but I don't want any other carrier. The extra memory sounds cool but I don't think it's worth the added size. I think I'm staying with the Pearl.
    I was/am having the same dilemma...sorta. Wanted a Pearl, then decided I really liked the Curve, but got to play around with a Pearl that is outside the VZW store and it's so beautiful size-wise. But I think memory will win and I'll pick the Curve as I have a terrible habit of not deleting things like messages for long periods of time as they build up and slow down my phone.
    04-20-08 01:49 AM
    I was/am having the same dilemma...sorta. Wanted a Pearl, then decided I really liked the Curve, but got to play around with a Pearl that is outside the VZW store and it's so beautiful size-wise. But I think memory will win and I'll pick the Curve as I have a terrible habit of not deleting things like messages for long periods of time as they build up and slow down my phone.
    if you do the memory optimizer, you will have no problem

you can set it to only keep X amount of days worth of messages, then it will auto delete.

what alot of people see is the curve is coming, and it will be awesome, which granted it probably will, but thats only if you can be patient and work through all the kinks it will have. Verizon has proven it many times, with multiple firmware updates needed to fix problems on their first gen phones.

i would stick with the pearl, utilize it to its fullest and you will be very very happy.

i went from an 8830 with full qwerty to the pearl and i wouldnt think of going to a curve, unless they will give it to me for free!
    04-20-08 01:09 PM
    if you do the memory optimizer, you will have no problem

you can set it to only keep X amount of days worth of messages, then it will auto delete.

what alot of people see is the curve is coming, and it will be awesome, which granted it probably will, but thats only if you can be patient and work through all the kinks it will have. Verizon has proven it many times, with multiple firmware updates needed to fix problems on their first gen phones.

i would stick with the pearl, utilize it to its fullest and you will be very very happy.

i went from an 8830 with full qwerty to the pearl and i wouldnt think of going to a curve, unless they will give it to me for free!
    Haha. I'm not too worried. It's not just memory. That's just one thing. A full QWERTY is really enticing as well. I'm not afraid of first-gen products either. I've had multiple first gen gadgets and while they do have their kinks, I've never found them to be hugely annoying.

Who knows though? I'm thinking I'll get the Curve first, then if I don't like it, I'll just opt for the Pearl. Until then, I can oogle at the family Pearl and see if it's to my liking.
    04-20-08 02:49 PM
    that is true, see my family is not so techy, so they got lame phones, so if i want a cool one, i have to get it to try it!
    04-20-08 02:51 PM
    Very true. Up until now it was like that, but something got the Pearl hooked in 'rents mind. So now I get to sneak peeks at it, though I haven't been able to have more than maybe a minute or two with it except when I was told to adjust a setting. The idea of profiles was confusing some.
    04-20-08 02:56 PM
    i actually find the size of the pearl somewhat awkward when typing,,, i i like the wider bodie's of the 8800's and Curves,

ive had two replacement pearls that will go through spell where they delete my text messages as soon as i get them so.... i dont get them lol my current one has started to do the same thing and is have battery issues, so i need to get it replaced, and im gonna ask sprint for a different device do you think i should get the 8830 or wait for the curve?

will they do that for me (what if i threaten to terminate?)

04-22-08 06:10 PM
    Threatening to terminate can definitely get you a lot of bargains on the table. They want your money! But who knows what you'll be offered? You could ask if they'd let you have an 8830 until the Curve is released. Always worth a shot! (I believe a few people on these forums have been doing that).
    04-22-08 06:48 PM
    I have been lucky enough to have both. I got the Curve the moment it came out (yes I got up at 3am PST to order ATTs Curve last year)! I played with the phone for 30 days but had to take it back because the ATT service was so aweful! I had dropped calls daily and everyone told me I sounded like I was calling from Mars.

But the phone was the best Blackberry I have ever had. And I have had a lot of them! I even had the 8830 (which I have now given to DH because it's a bit too big for me to get my fingers around it comfortably). I currently have the Pearl with Verizon, my carrier for the last decade. I just could not leave them, even though I wanted to for the Curve!

The Pearl is not my favorite. The suretype drives me nuts. The screen is small. And I find the larger phones a bit more comfortable to hold. The Curve has an incredibly good keyboard. WAAAY better than the 8830. And the screen is gorgeous, bright and easy to read. And the size is JUST right, in between 8830 and 8130. Just right! The camera took very nice pictures too (better than my Pearl, which takes nice pix too).

I cannot wait for the Curve to come out. I really believe it is the best Blackberry out there to date. I am thrilled that I only got a 1 year contract with Verizon and that in July, I will be able to get the Curve!

I just wish Verizon went with Titanium too. I really dislike the current look.

Katherine
    04-22-08 11:59 PM
    Meh. I didn't like the color with Verizon, either, though comparing it with the Pearl's color scheme, I like it much more.
    04-23-08 03:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD