well i get a blackberry pearl from my bf's sister and its threw verizon wireless....the only bad thing is that i am not on verizon and i wanna know if i can use this phone and put my carrier with it i go threw syringa but t-mobile might be great if i can get either one on this phone can u please help me!!!
    07-11-09 01:28 AM
    You need to get it unlocked.
    07-11-09 01:35 AM
    I know for sure you can't go to t-mobile but I've never heard of syringa. Are they a CDMA carrier? If they are they may flash your phone. If they are GSM then you'd have to stick with verizon to use the pearl.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-11-09 01:36 AM
    A fast way to check if your phone is gsm or cdma is to check if you have a sim card. If you do, chances are its gsm. If you don't, its probably cdma.

07-11-09 01:38 AM
    Pretty sure the OP said its "threw [sic] Verizon Wireless" so that means it is CDMA. You CANNOT use it on ATT/TMo/Rogers. Sprint or another CDMA carrier may let you use it if you tell them you purchased it outright.
    07-11-09 04:09 AM
    I know. I meant syringa. I know verizon is cdma. If syringa is cdma also, she may be able to get it flashed. Otherwise, she's outta luck.

07-11-09 04:11 AM
    It's going to be tough to get a CDMA phone switched to another carrier.

CDMA carriers register the ESN/MEID in their carrier database. It's what lets each phone connect to their network (and roaming). It's what lets AllTel and USCC to roam on VZW's network (and not roam on Sprint - at least that is my understanding).

My understanding is that you would have to have the original carrier de-register the phone from their database and have the new carrier register it before they could activate the phone. Not an easy task, so most CDMA carriers don't activate a phone from another carrier.

It's much easier with GSM, since you only have to swap out the SIM card.
    07-11-09 11:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD