Now that the storm 1 is not being sold at. VZW now what are they doing for people who don't qualify
    For a new phone discount but have insurance? Replace with a storm 2??

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-18-10 07:20 PM
    They always keep back a stock of replacements even after a phone is no longer being sold.

04-18-10 07:25 PM
    Now that the storm 1 is not being sold at. VZW now what are they doing for people who don't qualify
    For a new phone discount but have insurance? Replace with a storm 2??

There are not new phones, but there are plenty of refurb's from the manufacturer incase something happens to the Storm. So don't worry, you won't get stuck with a Storm 2 without paying for it.
    04-18-10 07:43 PM
    If they do run out they will replace it with something of equal value. Right now they should have enough but if for some reason they didn't..yea they would give you a storm2.

04-18-10 07:52 PM
    Well this is what i was looking for ha ha i mean im having a few small issues but nothing to escalate unless i get an "upgrade"

Thanks guys

NJB
    04-19-10 04:49 PM
    I wouldn't count on that theory though. Unless you want to go through the hassle of complaining to Verizon about the Storm1 and have them send you about 5 replacements that do not work and you want a different model because you're tired of returning the phone, then yea you could probably talk your way into a Storm2.

My wife did this with her HTC phone after 5 replacements and alot of arguing with the reps and they finally switched her to a different model. She really was having problems with the phones though and they still didn't believe her. You will get away with it once.
    04-19-10 04:57 PM
    if it is an ins issue it is with asurion and if they no longer have the phone they should give you the most current. I have a friend who had the env2 and it was stolen.
    They were out of it and gave her the env3 this was asurion under her insurance
    04-19-10 05:01 PM
    Just tell the insurance you have a Storm2, and you dropped it in the ocean during a fishing trip. That way you get to keep your old phone just in case. That's what I did for a free upgrade and it worked. Upgraded my StarTac to V60 back in 2004.

It's been a while I guess, but whenever I called the insurance company they always asked me what kind of phone I had. Maybe now they've cracked down on it, but it's worth a try. I mean, what's the point in paying for insurance without a benefit once in a while?

04-19-10 08:24 PM
    Just tell the insurance you have a Storm2, and you dropped it in the ocean during a fishing trip. That way you get to keep your old phone just in case. That's what I did for a free upgrade and it worked. Upgraded my StarTac to V60 back in 2004.

It's been a while I guess, but whenever I called the insurance company they always asked me what kind of phone I had. Maybe now they've cracked down on it, but it's worth a try. I mean, what's the point in paying for insurance without a benefit once in a while?

I strongly discourage this, it could be investigated as possible insurance fraud. It's not worth the hassle. It's great that the other guy got away with it, but it's not worth it, not for a few hundred dollars worth of phone.
    04-19-10 08:53 PM
    I strongly discourage this, it could be investigated as possible insurance fraud. It's not worth the hassle. It's great that the other guy got away with it, but it's not worth it, not for a few hundred dollars worth of phone.
    You think they would open up an investagation over a phone? Non-sense, it's not worth it to them. Insurance companies are the ones frauding us anyway. If you go 20 years without making a claim, why do you have to continue to pay? And, if after 20 years you make a small claim, than why do they raise your rates? What are you paying for really?

I don't mean to flame, but these insurance companies only get away with it because we let them. What's the harm in trying to get a better phone, what has the OP been paying for all this time? If they bring it up and confront him that he has a S1 and not a S2, he could just play dumb and say "my bad, I didn't realize".

I think the OP has nothing to lose and should try for a S2 claim.

04-19-10 09:54 PM
    A bit off topic but you can buy a refurbed s1 from verizon for 129.99 without extending your contract or using your ne2.
    It's part of a new program and right now the storm is the only phone in the system but the tour will be added shortly.
    *rep offered me this program because of my issues with my 8330.
    04-19-10 09:59 PM
    I agree. Also now they know which phone you have active on your account. When I called for my q9m last year they said are you calling about your q9m or your wife's voyager.

They know. Doing this is the reason the deductible is now 85.00 as opposed to 50.00.
    04-19-10 10:01 PM
    The lost phone will also be blacklisted. you might be able to use it as a backup phone.. but you won't be able to activate it for data.
    04-20-10 10:45 AM
    I agree. Also now they know which phone you have active on your account. When I called for my q9m last year they said are you calling about your q9m or your wife's voyager.

They know. Doing this is the reason the deductible is now 85.00 as opposed to 50.00.
    Correct me if im wrong, but the deductible is now 85 for smartphones, and still 50 for dumb phones. And yet we pay a higher premium for for smartphone monthly insurance,,, imho the insurance is only good for the first 5 months, after that the monthly premium you pay is better served put into some silly acct or an envelope somewhere and used if you need to replace the phone.

After 24 months (a standard 2 yr contract) you pay 8 a month for 24 months which is 192, and then pay the deductible of 85, for a total of 277..... my guess is you can get most if not all phones that were a few hundred new at the beginning of a contract, for less than 277 when you actually need the replacement 15-24 months in.

For that matter,,,, when you do the sickening math, in my case I pay a whopping 2280 a year to have 2 bb with data tethering,,,, eeeewwwww
    Last edited by Feeeeg; 04-20-10 at 12:33 PM.
    04-20-10 12:24 PM
    Correct me if im wrong, but the deductible is now 85 for smartphones, and still 50 for dumb phones.
    It's actually 89.00 for smartphones and 39.00 for regular phones under the new terms. Customers grandfathered with the old terms still pay 50.00 for a replacement regardless of the phone type. Consider yourself corrected.
    04-20-10 12:29 PM
    It's actually 89.00 for smartphones and 39.00 for regular phones under the new terms. Customers grandfathered with the old terms still pay 50.00 for a replacement regardless of the phone type. Consider yourself corrected.
    Thanks mario,,, but the point was the deductible is that high only cause it is a smart phone,,, not because they went up across the board
    04-20-10 12:44 PM
    Do I have to sit in the corner?

I was close LOL
    04-20-10 12:55 PM
    Thanks mario,,, but the point was the deductible is that high only cause it is a smart phone,,, not because they went up across the board
    It is a lot to pay monthly and still pay a premium...I don't disagree with you there. But all insurance is like that.

Do I have to sit in the corner?

I was close LOL
    Nah your good
    04-20-10 01:21 PM
    Yeah thats why its called insurance...
    04-20-10 03:17 PM
    Well don't hold ur breath about us being out of replacements...we still carry the original env.....in three diff colors in stores lol....as far as telling the insurance u have a S2 I highly doubt they wouldn't check ur account. Asurion doesn't play games

04-20-10 06:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD