12-24-10 01:22 AM
43 12
tools
    I think once some of these newer Berries come out with QNX, that they will sell better...

Personally as long as T-Mobile sells a phone I like, that is all I care about. I can't stand big red...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-11-10 07:38 AM
    I think once some of these newer Berries come out with QNX, that they will sell better...

Personally as long as T-Mobile sells a phone I like, that is all I care about. I can't stand big red...

I used to be the same way. I was a loyal T-Mobile user and hated VZW with passion, but was forced to switch to keep my minutes in check (everybody I knew were switching to VZW and my bills kept climbing higher and higher). However, if T-Mobile's reception could be just as good as VZW, it wouldn't even take a minute for me to make up my mind to switch back to TMo. I loved their phone selection and pricing.
    12-12-10 12:13 AM
    8 out of 10 customers walking in under these circumstances would have been very well served by the advice of this salesman. I would give him a raise.
    I disagree... The job of the salesman is to look out for the buyer's need while remaining neutral to offer the best possible choice. This particular salesman didn't even ask why the customer wanted the Bold off the bat, or so it seems. In this situation particularly, the salesman should have backed off when the manager was called to aid in the situation, and should have sold the phone of customer's choice without any more arguments. I would've fired him for execution of the company plan, but he does get a "high five" for relentlessly trying to meet the quota Google is pushing on VZW.
    corymcnutt likes this.
    12-12-10 12:19 AM
    [QUOTE=aab81901;5857780]I disagree... The job of the salesman is to look out for the buyer's need while remaining neutral to offer the best possible choice. This particular salesman didn't even ask why the customer wanted the Bold off the bat, or so it seems. In this situation particularly, the salesman should have backed off when the manager was called to aid in the situation, and should have sold the phone of customer's choice without any more arguments. I would've fired him for execution of the company plan, but he does get a "high five" for relentlessly trying to meet the quota Google is pushing on VZW.[/QUOT

Honestly, maybe there is a one in a thousand blackberry function that this person needed, but for 99.9% of the buying public, Androids are the superior choice. I dont think it was a stretch. A year and half ago, which was the last time blackberry released a "new device" you might have been right, today? nope.
    12-12-10 09:36 AM
    [QUOTE=garment69;5858396]
    I disagree... The job of the salesman is to look out for the buyer's need while remaining neutral to offer the best possible choice. This particular salesman didn't even ask why the customer wanted the Bold off the bat, or so it seems. In this situation particularly, the salesman should have backed off when the manager was called to aid in the situation, and should have sold the phone of customer's choice without any more arguments. I would've fired him for execution of the company plan, but he does get a "high five" for relentlessly trying to meet the quota Google is pushing on VZW.[/QUOT

Honestly, maybe there is a one in a thousand blackberry function that this person needed, but for 99.9% of the buying public, Androids are the superior choice. I dont think it was a stretch. A year and half ago, which was the last time blackberry released a "new device" you might have been right, today? nope.
    Gotta love the random numbers and "stats" some people throw out there. Your comment losses any credibility once you start throwing out random numbers to make your opinion seem stronger. Tsk tsk.

12-12-10 09:40 AM
    I disagree... The job of the salesman is to look out for the buyer's need while remaining neutral to offer the best possible choice. This particular salesman didn't even ask why the customer wanted the Bold off the bat, or so it seems. In this situation particularly, the salesman should have backed off when the manager was called to aid in the situation, and should have sold the phone of customer's choice without any more arguments. I would've fired him for execution of the company plan, but he does get a "high five" for relentlessly trying to meet the quota Google is pushing on VZW.
    Having worked in sales for used cars and satelite systems, and as a consumer, I can say the true job of a salesman is not to look out for the buyers need. The jon of a salesman is to push the most profitable product, and convince the buyer that the specific product is the best choice for them. Most profitable doesn't necessarily mean the most expensive product, and the fit to the customer is almost always somewhat important. But if Verizon gets more for selling a android phone (which is an unknown fact), than the salesmen are going to be instructed to push the android device. That's how sales works. Customer needs and desires are only a factor in determining the profitability of the sale.
    In summary, News Flash! The majority of companies/salesmen only care about your needs and wants as far as they needto to increase their profits.
    Sad but true.

lssanjose likes this.
    12-12-10 11:16 AM
    Exactly! I've been in sales, and screw need (when it came to performance evals). It was all about results. People would like to think quotas don't exist, but they do. My co-workers who were sales people had to meet monthly earning quotas. Likewise, when I worked at Office Depshot, there was a thing called Market Basket. Basically, we need to sell a percentage of product attachments (accessories) because that's where the heart of the company profits was.

Sales man is one who sells stuff. Mainly, they sell the need for a particular item when, in the back of your mind, you know you don't really need it. Selling happens everywhere in life.
    12-12-10 11:22 AM
    [QUOTE=garment69;5858396]
    I disagree... The job of the salesman is to look out for the buyer's need while remaining neutral to offer the best possible choice. This particular salesman didn't even ask why the customer wanted the Bold off the bat, or so it seems. In this situation particularly, the salesman should have backed off when the manager was called to aid in the situation, and should have sold the phone of customer's choice without any more arguments. I would've fired him for execution of the company plan, but he does get a "high five" for relentlessly trying to meet the quota Google is pushing on VZW.[/QUOT

The "buying public" includes big corporations and, I'm gonna go out on a limb here, government, as well. Therefore, while for the majority of the public, the Android platform may be the more appropriate choice, IMO, your estimation is a bit high that for 99.9% of the buying public Android is the superior choice.
    12-16-10 01:29 PM
    I can say the true job of a salesman is not to look out for the buyers need. The jon of a salesman is to push the most profitable product, and convince the buyer that the specific product is the best choice for them.
    Explain to me how a salesman will be able to convince the buyer that a certain product is the best choice for them without relating that product to the buyer's needs. If you're a good salesman (I don't mean you, specifically), you will still try to push the most profitable product, but you also want to make more appealing to the buyer and demonstrate that the product does everything they need and more.

I should clarify my previous response... I was disagreeing on basis of poor customer service. The rep was oblivious to the customer's demand, and as a consumer and a professional, nothing upsets me more than some dip**** trying to make an ***** out of me. I couldn't agree with you more, the job of the salesman is to sell and push the most profitable product. But let me get this straight.... You're a salesman. A guy walks into your store and, almost effortlessly, you can make the sale on the spot, because the guy is pretty much handing you the money from the moment he walked in the door. But no no no... you tell him you will take his money only if he gets the product you want to give him and not the one he needs and instead of making the easiest sale of your life, you turn the customer away and lose his money in the process. Is this a genius strategy or what?
    12-16-10 02:05 PM
    Explain to me how a salesman will be able to convince the buyer that a certain product is the best choice for them without relating that product to the buyer's needs. If you're a good salesman (I don't mean you, specifically), you will still try to push the most profitable product, but you also want to make more appealing to the buyer and demonstrate that the product does everything they need and more.

I should clarify my previous response... I was disagreeing on basis of poor customer service. The rep was oblivious to the customer's demand, and as a consumer and a professional, nothing upsets me more than some dip**** trying to make an ***** out of me. I couldn't agree with you more, the job of the salesman is to sell and push the most profitable product. But let me get this straight.... You're a salesman. A guy walks into your store and, almost effortlessly, you can make the sale on the spot, because the guy is pretty much handing you the money from the moment he walked in the door. But no no no... you tell him you will take his money only if he gets the product you want to give him and not the one he needs and instead of making the easiest sale of your life, you turn the customer away and lose his money in the process. Is this a genius strategy or what?
    That's the difference between a mediocre salesman and a great salesman (great meaning good at selling, great salesman in my experience have very little humanity). If a salesman is really good at sales, he will convince you that you want what he says you want. Whether or not that thing is the best thing for you (or even good for you) is irrelevant.
    When I worked at that car dealership there was a guy there who could sell anyone anything. Seriously. It didn't matter what the customer wanted; a guy walked in wanting a truck and he left in a Pontiac Grand Am. It could be cuz the grand am was a better fit for him, but more likely it's cuz the grand am just happened to have the highest commission payout of any of the cars on the lot. That same kinda thing happened over and over.
    I agree with you that that's a douschy way to do things, but that's what sales is.
    And for the record, I hated sales, cuz when someone tells me what they want, that's what I want to give them. And every sales training I've been to has been adamant that that's not what you do.
    12-16-10 02:19 PM
    I disagree... The job of the salesman is to look out for the buyer's need while remaining neutral to offer the best possible choice.
    While that may sounds nice in theory, in reality the salesperson has goals/quotas to meet. So looking out for the customer's best interest is not the salesman's job, making sales and generating revenue is.

No sales = no pay in some cases, and those people are going to look out for their own best interest before anyone else's.
    12-16-10 03:24 PM
    Dude I went into the VZW store to buy a Bold 9650, I had done all the research, I knew exactly what I wanted and when I walked in the store I told the sales rep straight off the bat "I am here to buy a Bold 9650, I don't need to play with one. Or anything like that I just want to buy it and leave"

The sales rep asked my why I wanted one and then informed that it was a poor choice of a phone. He told me he once had one and he felt really stupid when all of his friends started showing him their new droids. So stupid that he had to put his POS Bold on Ebay so he could buy a android off contract.

He stressed over and over that the Bold was a bad phone and went as far as to say "I will sell you one, But you'll regret your decision later."

He never once asked me what my needs were. He didn't even care that I had done my own research and had decided on what my next phone would be before hand. He just automatically assumed that Android would be a better fit for me. I asked to see his manager and I asked him why I couldn't just buy a Bold and leave, without being made to feel like a ****** because of my phone choice. And the manager had the nerve to ask me if I had tried out the Incredible yet.

Situations like mine are not rare. I know they aren't because I dealt with the same exact BS when I bought my S2. If that isn't pushing I don't know what is. I went home and ordered my Bold off of VZW's website. Which I will be doing from now on.

That happened to me as well and it pissed me off big time. By the time the second "salesman" hounded me about the Droid I had enough. I spoke to the Manager and told him that a salesman's job was to find the best phone to fit the need of the customer and not to lay doubt in their purchase. I had done my research and knew I didn't want a Droid, still don't. He didn't have much to offer and I told him that his store had permenately lost my business because of their tactics. Verizon might get my money, but that store no longer gets any commission on my sales. I may only be a customer that has 4 lines, but sometimes that can be the difference in them making their goals during the month. I now buy my phones online and save me the hassle of the pitch. I don't know if they realize it but this sales tactic has put me off wanting anything to do with the Droid line. My Hubby has one and likes it, but he's not gaga over his phone. We just upgraded the daughters phone to android, but not a Droid and her phone is great. I wonder how many customers they lose because they have tunnel vision on their sales pitch.

It is valid that salespeople are instructed to sell what is most profitable, but having been in sales for 15 years myself, if you can't trust your salesmen to know and understand your needs then you are giving up the returning sales. Yes you may sell that phone (in this case) today, but how many people then return the phone later or never come into your store again. I made a lot of money off of repeat customers that knew I understood their needs and I often would see them in the grocery store or give them a call to let them know I had a product that they would like. There are a lot of verizon stores in the same area and if you feel pressured to buy against what you want, then you will go elsewhere and that will hurt your business in the long run. A sales person that listens to what I want and then compares that to what they are pushing is fine, but to have a salesperson tell you that your wrong is not a good salesperson. There is an old saying that a happy customer will tell a friend or two, but an unhappy customer will tell 10 or 20 people. Think about the threads in just this forum, how many are about how they love their phone or a salesperson in comparison to how many have an issue or didn't like how they got treated by a salesperson. There were comments about how rim hasn't released anything good in a long time, but is it really any better if you buy a Droid and then next week they drop two or three newer versions? Both companies have their issues, but it is time that sales pitches were brought back to customer service and serving them, not a corporation only.
    Last edited by kat89447; 12-16-10 at 04:34 PM. Reason: spelling
    aab81901 likes this.
    12-16-10 04:15 PM
    I couldn't care less about sales stats. I buy what I want--not what sells the most. Sometimes what I want coincides with the market leader and other times it doesn't. big deal. I don't follow "fashion" or trends--I simply do my homework and pick the products that I believe will work the best for ME.
    What he said! AMEN
    12-16-10 06:25 PM
    I've always been a BB fan but the Tour just wasn't able to what I needed it to do so I switched to a Droid 2. Now I have my email AND a faster, more powerful device. The Droid 2 is truly the perfect device for those who need the functionality for work with the the speed and power for play. My next device might well be the Droid Pro.

12-16-10 07:48 PM
    I've always been a BB fan but the Tour just wasn't able to what I needed it to do so I switched to a Droid 2. Now I have my email AND a faster, more powerful device. The Droid 2 is truly the perfect device for those who need the functionality for work with the the speed and power for play. My next device might well be the Droid Pro.

Me too except the Droid Pro possibility part...

About salespeople: do your own research, and be frank with them. Something to the effect of "Look, this is what I'm buying today, do you want to sell me one or should I go find someone else who wants to make a sale."
    12-16-10 09:29 PM

Me 3. I replaced tour with s2. Will see what s3 offers. If I don't like it off to Microsoft.

12-17-10 06:44 AM
    Verizon does it to themselves. I went in to inquire about BB options and the sales guy pushed Droid/ Android on me. I want a BB. But... But... Um, I want a BB...

He was kind enough to tell me after the new year there might be more options. I have been a VZW customer for over 10 years and I walked in with a 5 yr old brick which is still going strong -- Casio G'zOne Type - S. I can't break it!!!

I bought a secondary phone a Virgin Mobile BB Curve and I like it a lot. You can't beat the price... IF we were not on a family plan, I'd leave VZW.
    12-23-10 12:39 PM
    I am beginning to think google bucks (perhaps via the manufacturers) are available to t s vz and tmo salesman to push "droids"....
    I was just thinking the same kinda thing. I don't know if VZW clerks are on commission or not but it sure sounds like there are incentives for selling droids. Guess i've been lucky so far as I've not had a VZW store clerk attempt to push any particular phone on me.
    Last edited by debsbb; 12-24-10 at 01:48 AM.
    12-24-10 01:22 AM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD