12-28-09 10:51 PM
127 12345 ...
tools
    As far as replacement phones that are a problem, we bought 3 NEW 8130 Pearl phones for my wife and 2 sons. The original 3 had issues !!!

They were taken back to the store where they were purchased. One screen went black in the hands of the store rep, and ruined the memory card that was less than 30 days old.

After, a total of "9" Pearl 8130 phones, (including the 3 original ones), Verizon "OFFERED" to UPGRADE the phones. The Pearls were replaced by 8330 Curves. THAT was VERIZONS offer.

IMO, ALL REFURBISHED phones are a waste of time, and effort. I've always felt that I bought a NEW phone, give me a new phone in return. FEW refurbished phones that I have had anything to do with were any good !!

Point here is, it is NOT necessarily the owners fault that a refurbished phone is bad !!!!!!!! The people that I talked to at VERIZON told me that the Pearls were a problem, ESPECIALLY the refurbished ones !!!!!!!!
    12-21-09 09:19 AM
    IMO, ALL REFURBISHED phones are a waste of time, and effort. I've always felt that I bought a NEW phone, give me a new phone in return. FEW refurbished phones that I have had anything to do with were any good !!
    Then thats when you send your phone to the manafacturer and wait 4-6 weeks. VZW offers refurbs as a quicker option to get the same phone you purchased, in your hands sooner. Thats like saying everytime you take your car in for tune ups or to get repaired, they just give you a new car. NOT!
    12-21-09 09:28 AM
    A phone shouldn't need a tune up... and yes when I take my car in for ANYTHING I get a new car to drive around till they are done. Free of charge.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-21-09 09:44 AM
    C'mon now.... Comparing a new cell phone to a new car is quite a stretch! How about a tv? If you get a defective tv and take it back the store gives you another BRAND NEW tv, NOT a used one!

I paid good money for my Storm and signed a two year contract. That is a big chunk of money I have pledged to Verizon. I bought a NEW phone. If my phone does go bad I should get another new phone. Not someone elses junk that they returned.

To recoup some money from giving me a NEW phone RIM should offer for sale at cheap prices refurbs.

12-21-09 10:43 AM
    Refurbs are not phones people returned.
    From what I understand, they are units that are defective for one reason or another and are taken off of the production line and then fixed and tested again.
    I personally love refurbs and they last longer than new phones in my experience.
    12-21-09 10:55 AM
    A phone shouldn't need a tune up... and yes when I take my car in for ANYTHING I get a new car to drive around till they are done. Free of charge.

Smartphones do need tune ups. They are not simple devices.

12-21-09 11:03 AM
    I should never have to send a phone in, even a smartphone. I don't have to return my computers...

12-21-09 11:18 AM
    Smartphones do need tune ups. They are not simple devices.

Lmao ok

12-21-09 11:47 AM
    C'mon now.... Comparing a new cell phone to a new car is quite a stretch! How about a tv? If you get a defective tv and take it back the store gives you another BRAND NEW tv, NOT a used one!

I paid good money for my Storm and signed a two year contract. That is a big chunk of money I have pledged to Verizon. I bought a NEW phone. If my phone does go bad I should get another new phone. Not someone elses junk that they returned.

To recoup some money from giving me a NEW phone RIM should offer for sale at cheap prices refurbs.

Exactly! People here act like Verizon is some kind of holy temple and we should bow down and accept it! Sorry people. If we pay for devices that aren't up to par, then we deserve a replacement (new) until we feel, as the consumer, that the device meets our expectations.

12-21-09 11:51 AM
    There is one flaw in that logic though, there isn't a completely tested and proven way to prove that the phone is used if it's a CLNR. The manufactorer may hold devices back at the launch in order to accompany replacements that may come right after a launch.

For example, we had CLNR storm 1 phones within the first week of launch at my location, which is no where near enough time to have the phone sent back to RIM, to be inspected, wiped, and the redistributed.

Because a rep pulls a phone out that has no back, no battery, and no charger and it's in a different box does not mean that said phone has been used and returned.
    12-21-09 11:57 AM

If you don't like the service verizon provides as a courtesy, you can always contact the actual manufacturer for warranty service. This typically is where you ship your phone to them (you pay for shipping) then wait for them to repair or replace your phone (2-3 weeks).

This is the same process as most any electronic device sold. U

12-21-09 12:34 PM
    I should never have to send a phone in, even a smartphone. I don't have to return my computers...

Computers need tune ups also.

12-21-09 01:34 PM
    this is crazy....using the car as an example, drop it off at verizon for days, while you use a loaner and get your phone fixed.

That is how verizon used to do it.

Come on people. It is a phone.....electronic devices have problems....you don't like the TOS, then choose a different carrier or device.
    12-21-09 01:38 PM
    Ummm... No.

If you purchase a new TV, lets say from Best Buy, and there is something wrong with the TV within 30 days of the purchase date, then you can bring it back and get it exhanged for a new one. If you're beyond 30 days of the purchase date (and didn't purcahse one of Best Buy's service plans), you have to send your TV into the manufacturer, and wait for weeks for your TV to get repaired and sent back to you... And of course they don't give you a loaner TV to use in the mean time, so your stuck without a TV...

As for phones needing tune ups... They need software updates the same away a computer would...
    Last edited by R.O.C.; 12-21-09 at 04:34 PM.
    12-21-09 04:30 PM
    Ummm... No.

If you purchase a new TV, lets say from Best Buy, and there is something wrong with the TV within 30 days of the purchase date, then you can bring it back and get it exhanged for a new one. If you're beyond 30 days of the purchase date (and didn't purcahse one of Best Buy's service plans), you have to send your TV into the manufacturer, and wait for weeks for your TV to get repaired and sent back to you... And of course they don't give you a loaner TV to use in the mean time, so your stuck without a TV...

As for phones needing tune ups... They need software updates the same away a computer would...
    If you buy the TV from Costco or Sam's you can bring it back with a proof of purchase even beyond 30 days.

12-21-09 05:47 PM
    Which is why I specifically stated Best Buy... Other retailers have different return policies I'm not all too familiar with... Though I have trouble believeing that Costco or Sam's will replace the TV throughout the course of its 1 year (2 years with some brands) warranty...
    12-21-09 07:29 PM
    Sams takes anything back. But we are so off topic from the op's post.

12-21-09 07:41 PM
    If you buy the TV from Costco or Sam's you can bring it back with a proof of purchase even beyond 30 days.

costco or sam's also has a way to markup the prices of other equipment to recoup the losses.

If they take a loss on a tv, its no big deal, they will slap a "sale" sticker on a 24 pack of pens, and new members will eat them up like hotcakes.

Verizon only sells phones,they could mark up prices of oh i dont know, the etf on smartphones, but then all people would do is complain about how they are being unfair.

But I guess that may be something you dont agree with.
    12-21-09 07:53 PM
    I do not agree with it..no..

12-21-09 09:04 PM
    People shouldn't have a problem with it unless they actually plan on breaking the contract...
    12-21-09 09:25 PM
    People shouldn't have a problem with it unless they actually plan on breaking the contract...
    Really screws up selling the BOGO

12-21-09 10:12 PM
    The BOGO isn't meant so someone can purchase two phones for the price of one, cancel one of the lines, pay the ETF and sell the phone to make a profit...

This is clearly one of the reasons why ETF was raised...

Anyone who thinks its okay to take advantage of the system in that way, is of the same mentality of those who did it, and got the ETF raised...
    Last edited by R.O.C.; 12-21-09 at 10:20 PM.
    12-21-09 10:18 PM
    The BOGO isn't meant so someone can purchase two phones for the price of one, cancel one of the lines, pay the ETF and sell the phone to make a profit...

This is clearly one of the reasons why ETF was raised...

Anyone who thinks its okay to take advantage of the system in that way, is of the same mentality of those who did it, and got the ETF raised...
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with doing that! You sign nothing that says you have to personally keep the free device! The device is yours and you can do as you please! If people never took the opportunity to make a profit the world would be a far different place!

I cannot believe you even think that selling a BOGO device for profit is even close to wrong! Give me a break.

12-21-09 11:43 PM
    They changed the conditions for this most recent BOGO. When they did it n Feb there was no stipulation that the free phone had to even be activated. I only activated my free Storm so I could get it unlocked then reactivated my original and sold the free one for $350.

With current BOGO offer you have to do a two year contract on both phones. Still though you could activate the free phone on another line already in use, then simply put a regular phone back on that line, drop the BB plan and still sell the free one if you wish. The line you activated the free BB on with simply be under contract for two years. If it is a line to be used anyway then it is no big deal.

This is exactly what I will do when the Tour 2 comes out....except I will keep both the Storm II and Tour II and switch back n forth between them.

12-22-09 02:28 AM
    They changed the conditions for this most recent BOGO. When they did it n Feb there was no stipulation that the free phone had to even be activated. I only activated my free Storm so I could get it unlocked then reactivated my original and sold the free one for $350.

With current BOGO offer you have to do a two year contract on both phones. Still though you could activate the free phone on another line already in use, then simply put a regular phone back on that line, drop the BB plan and still sell the free one if you wish. The line you activated the free BB on with simply be under contract for two years. If it is a line to be used anyway then it is no big deal.

This is exactly what I will do when the Tour 2 comes out....except I will keep both the Storm II and Tour II and switch back n forth between them.

I too plan on doing this. There is always a way around things! I think we're soul mates.

12-22-09 11:35 AM
127 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD