04-05-09 06:42 AM
61 123
tools
    Has anyone else had the issue that Verizon is no longer allowing you to talk to a Supervisor?

After insisting last week, I was told that I would be called within 24-48 hours by a supervisor. I am still waiting for that call.

My Mom who is also on my plan asked to talk to a supervisor last night, and was finally put on hold, and then disconnected.

Does anyone know what is going on?
    03-13-09 08:04 PM
    The said employees know they're idiots and don't want their supervisor finding out. I always found that if its that big of an issue that you have to speak to a supervisor then just go to a VZ store.
    03-13-09 08:10 PM
    Never ask to speak with a supervisor in a call center - they usually know less and will do less than the person you are talking to. The person answering the phone has the latest training and their job performance is measured by their call handling. The supervisors get to skip the training, often don't know the systems as well as the frontline people and are there only to coach people in quantifiable performance figures - talktime, holdtime, ata, mandatory scripts, scheduling adherence, etc.

When I was a trainer with MaBell, there were managers with 25+ years' experience who'd come to me asking how to work things in the system or different issues in policy. When I was busy, I'd refer them to a member of their team for the answer.

Call centers haven't changed much since then, whether it is telcos, credit card companies, CATV providers, warranty outfits or computer tech support.

Go to the company's Website and look up the contact information. Send your issue in writing.
    03-13-09 08:20 PM
    I always found the asking for supervisor thing funny. I had a girlfriend at one time who worked at a call center. Whenever someone asked to speak to a supervisor, the workers there would just ask their cubicle buddy to act as supervisor. Hence, you never talked to the person you wanted to talk to. Of course, everything is recorded now, so you may not be able to get away with that now. Yet, I would either go to the store if I had an issue or online. As Twin pointed out, send something in writing and see what happens.
    03-13-09 08:26 PM
    i was speaking with a CS rep this afternoon who had NO IDEA how the data plans for blackberries were setup and didnt know what plan i needed to tether my bb to my laptop. i asked to talk to a supervisor and he talked me out of it and said he would add the unlimited plan that i told him too so i could tether. He then told me he couldnt add it because the unlimited BBA plan was NOT compatible with my 8330. I then asked for "a supervisor or someone who knows what they are talking about" and he put me on hold then, the phone got picked up (i heard him talking) and then was disconnected. I just bought tetherberry...screw em
    03-13-09 08:50 PM
    I don't think tetherberry is all that its "cracked" up to be. I mean the connection on my phones connection is never as fast as the connection I get from tethering the phone through the VZAccess Manager. They have to be different connection types because I can only get 100 to 200 kbps on my phone and 500 to 600 on the laptop, when directly connected via #777.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-13-09 09:29 PM
    The purpose of my supervisors job is to approve my time sheet and write my review. They only concern themselves with call stats and NPS scores. Most supervisors couldn't change a price plan if their life depended on it!
    03-13-09 10:16 PM
    I don't think tetherberry is all that its "cracked" up to be. I mean the connection on my phones connection is never as fast as the connection I get from tethering the phone through the VZAccess Manager. They have to be different connection types because I can only get 100 to 200 kbps on my phone and 500 to 600 on the laptop, when directly connected via #777.
    It is dreadfully slow through a proxy, isn't it? It makes an AT&T connection feel fast. Then there is the issue that the proxy may be collecting private information on you and/or encrypting malware into your downloads to assist in further tracking you or infecting other networks you connect to.

The purpose of my supervisors job is to approve my time sheet and write my review. They only concern themselves with call stats and NPS scores. Most supervisors couldn't change a price plan if their life depended on it!
    Thank you - it is always appreciated when someone with inside experience validates my words.
    03-13-09 11:03 PM
    i was speaking with a CS rep this afternoon who had NO IDEA how the data plans for blackberries were setup and didnt know what plan i needed to tether my bb to my laptop. i asked to talk to a supervisor and he talked me out of it and said he would add the unlimited plan that i told him too so i could tether. He then told me he couldnt add it because the unlimited BBA plan was NOT compatible with my 8330. I then asked for "a supervisor or someone who knows what they are talking about" and he put me on hold then, the phone got picked up (i heard him talking) and then was disconnected. I just bought tetherberry...screw em
    Get rid of it as soon as you can....if vzw notices it you WILL be charged and its going to be extremly expensive.
    03-25-09 09:12 PM
    Has anyone else had the issue that Verizon is no longer allowing you to talk to a Supervisor?

After insisting last week, I was told that I would be called within 24-48 hours by a supervisor. I am still waiting for that call.

My Mom who is also on my plan asked to talk to a supervisor last night, and was finally put on hold, and then disconnected.

Does anyone know what is going on?
    What kind of issues are you having?

For those that are talking about the supervisors/managers just looking at stats and approving time....it all depends what channel you are in and who your manager is
    03-25-09 09:13 PM
    I always found the asking for supervisor thing funny
    I do to. I am a corporate store employee, and we are all empowered to make any decision that a manager would make. That's why I'm always smiling on the inside (and sometimes on the outside) when someone debates and debates something with me and then demands to see a manger, because 9.999999999999 times out of ten managers end up telling you exactly what we have said and/or back up our decisions.
    Last edited by ScottRPriester; 03-26-09 at 06:33 AM.
    03-25-09 09:41 PM
    Yeesh...This thread and all the insider information makes me all the more grateful to be out of the woods re: my own request for assistance.

For what it's worth, the few times I've asked I've never had a problem getting a call transferred to a "supervisor," and I've never doubted I'm talking to the next in line or that they are somehow endowed with more discretionary power...

But it's not surprising, regardless of the industry we're talking about, that challenges can arise when trying to convince folks in the trenches (supervisors included) to break rank (eg by asking to reassess a previous ruling made by one of their own rank). If you continue to run into difficulty, consider some of the feedback I got on the "Arbitration?" thread in this forum. http://forums.crackberry.com/f71/arbitration-189065/
    03-26-09 03:05 AM
    Hey, I'm one of those managers at a call center (though not a phone service provider). It depends on the company providing the outsourcing. I had to go thru the same training my agents did and have to complete a minimum number of hours phone time each month to keep up my skills.

03-26-09 01:08 PM
    as Twins said, you never want to speak with a call center supervisor, anyway. Typically, they're only there for administrative purposes, and really have no idea what to say when it comes to any real issues. If someone asks to speak to MY supervisor, I tell them no, that they're only here to make sure I am here... becuase it would just be wasting the customers time.

So, keep holding your breath for that call. Chances are, it was something ridiculous anyway like you want a credit or a new phone, in which case, I wouldnt call you back either
    03-26-09 03:23 PM
    as Twins said, you never want to speak with a call center supervisor, anyway. Typically, they're only there for administrative purposes, and really have no idea what to say when it comes to any real issues. If someone asks to speak to MY supervisor, I tell them no, that they're only here to make sure I am here... becuase it would just be wasting the customers time.

So, keep holding your breath for that call. Chances are, it was something ridiculous anyway like you want a credit or a new phone, in which case, I wouldnt call you back either
    I don't know about that. Most of the supervisors in our call center here in Pittsburgh were actually sales reps at one time and have more than administrative duties. They are directly involved in the sales and care process.
    03-26-09 08:04 PM
    I don't know about that. Most of the supervisors in our call center here in Pittsburgh were actually sales reps at one time and have more than administrative duties. They are directly involved in the sales and care process.
    Maybe so, Scott - but they are not on the phone for 7.5 hours per day. This isn't to say there aren't skilled supervisors out there, but they don't always have the intuitive skills of the frontline troops.

I ask this - are the frontline people empowered to make decisions to take care of the customer or they like Walmart cashiers who need approval to override an incorrect price at the register?

03-26-09 09:23 PM
    Maybe so, Scott - but they are not on the phone for 7.5 hours per day. This isn't to say there aren't skilled supervisors out there, but they don't always have the intuitive skills of the frontline troops.

I ask this - are the frontline people empowered to make decisions to take care of the customer or they like Walmart cashiers who need approval to override an incorrect price at the register?

An incorrect price issue is probably one of the most miniscule decisions I make on a daily basis. It rarely happens with us to begin with.

I'm not sure what the phone reps are empowered to do.

The only thing I can't do without manager approval is physically issue credits. There are rules we have to follow as far as discounting certain phones, which, honestly, anymore, is most phones. People think they can come in and barter with us as far as the price of phones go, and they think that a store manager will allow it, but it's not true. Its not like a car dealership. I routinely make decisions on my own about offering a customer either full retail, one year agreement price or offering the two year agreement price, along with making decisions on whether to allow upgrades early, etc. So instead of barging in to a store or calling on the phone wailing for a manager, give the rep a try. As long as you are being realistic and patient with a situation, rest assured you are being treated in a manner that one of our supervisors would want us to treat you. If you don't get your way and want to be passed on, do not be surprised if the supervisor repeats what the rep said. And if a supervisor tells you that they can only offer a certain amount of credit for something without further approval, approval that may take a few days, they are not lying to you.

Verizon Wireless has been rated in the top five companies in the US for training, so we know our product and policies pretty well. When someone doesn't rule in your favor, however, that doesn't mean damn the rep.

Customers also seem to think we can tailor a price plan just for them to keep them as a customer and price match the competition and thats not possible.

Not just in our field, but in any retail venue, management is overloaded with unrealistic goals they have to try to achieve and overly demanding district managers, etc, so with many companies, the employees (non management) are empowered to make most if not all management decisions.
    03-27-09 08:45 AM
    I remember a team manager in at AT&T Long Distance - he used to tell his team, you have two options 1) If I take your takeover & it is something you could've done yourself, I will write you up & we'll have a nice conversation, so you really want to take option 2 & take care of the customer, don't you?

When someone would ask him about it, he'd tell them he had the best team anywhere and they could help any customer faster than he could. If they had questions, they could ask him and if they made a terrible mistake, he'd have a friendly chat with them anyway. If they made the same mistake twice, that would be when he'd get upset. The third time, look out.

He backed up his people and stood by them and weeded out those who didistupid things. Of course, in those days, reps were empowered to make adjustments totaling thousands of dollars - there wasn't really anything more a supervisor could or would do.

Ask any former AT&T customer service rep about Mr. Patel (any Mr. Patel) and his non-connect credits to India and you will hear stories. Then there were the little old ladies who'd be trying to call their daughter in Atlanta, would get their numbers crossed and be near tears thinking the company was trying to rip her off. She tried repeatedly calling 1-404-555-1234, which was repeatedly on the bill immediately after calls to 44-5-51234. She'd inadvertently dialed 011-44 or 01-44 and got a wrong number in the UK instead of the correct number in Georgia. Was it a billing error? No, but in her mind it was before explanation. Similar problems would come up with people calling the 909 area code, getting India instead. Often, these callers were demanding a supervisor or threatening to switch carriers before the rep could finish their opening.

Since I was a network analyst & a trainer over some of my years there, I can say we did have the best trained people in the business who were only held back by union contracts.

Give the rep a chance to fix your issue. If you have a reasonable dispute and act reasonably and it is truly an error, the rep can and usually will do as much, if not more than, a supervisor. Save the supervisor for real rep misbehavior - and I don't mean your perception that you shouldn't have to pay for your 2500 text messages and the rep refusing to credit you is rep misbehavior. Own up to what you've done.

03-27-09 07:26 PM
    Great thread guys!
    03-28-09 01:32 AM
    This is all very true...I wish we could had more "customers" pass by here and read what the other end of the line is thinking about.Im not in the cell phone biz but worked in CST service and most of the interactions that ever ended in requesting a sup were people that thought that GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE was having everything they asked for DONE.they seem to think that all companies have the BURGER KING policy "HAVE IT YOUR WAY".but like scott said give the REP a chance one of the most pleasing parts of the job is getting that CST to say "WOW THANK YOU "
    Last edited by MYQX56RULES; 03-28-09 at 04:54 PM.
    03-28-09 04:51 PM
    they seem to think that all companies have the BURGER KING policy "HAVE IT YOUR WAY"
    Two of the cruelest realities in business:

1) The customer is not only not always right, they seldom are. Good customer service is an art of giving them what you're able to give them, while leaving them thinking they were just given the world.

2) Burger King's Have it your way campaign is a lie. I've asked them for my burger rare & to have it with a beer. They always decline both.

03-28-09 04:56 PM
    And when you do get great service, that is the time to ask for their manager to give them kudos. As a supervisor, it is great to hear praises from customers about the agent who helped them. I always make a big deal out of recognizing the great work my people do. Just one compliment can make up for a lot of bad interactions.
    03-28-09 09:31 PM
    I think this is a great thread and gives some insight to what happens in the background. As a customer, we don't have a clue what CSR's are trained to do (no matter which cellular provider it is).

All most customers see is what is the most beneficial for themselves. When I call CS for any reason, I pretty much hang up satisfied. In 10 yrs I can count on one hand how many times I may have needed to speak to a sprvsr.
    03-28-09 10:02 PM
    First thing I do is get there name and after that you get the X number and after they are trying to help you and they can not ask for the supervise and if they don't then you have info to get back to them
    03-28-09 10:10 PM
    this is just one of the things people don't get... yeah you get name and ext # or id etc.etc but you don't know if you are gonna get routed to the same call center ,if call volume is to high they may be using an outsource company wish in most cases are limited to what they can do ... a good example is what's happening with the storm everyone talking about vzw this... vzw that... but hey they didn't make the phone R.I.M DID but as a customer we want them to be responsable.sorry going out of subject...JUST BE NICE...BE CALM...AND HAVE SOME PATIENCE and what ever concern you have will be fix .
    Last edited by MYQX56RULES; 03-28-09 at 11:23 PM.
    03-28-09 11:19 PM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD