I live about a mile or two out of the VZW Enhanced Services Area. According to the VZW NE documentation, the NE will only work in VZW Enhanced Services Area, not the Extended Enhanced Services Area.

Does anyone think it will possibly work? I know that the internal GPS limits where the device can be used, but I wonder how accurate it is (the exact address, city, region).

Thanks,
    Scott
    08-24-09 10:30 PM
    If you call in, we can look up the location for you on our internal maps, and it'll tell us if it will work or not.
    08-24-09 10:39 PM
    I've talked to three different VZW reps and they can't give me a definitive answer. Most agree that it probably should work, but don't know for sure. They all said I could return it if it doesn't though.
    08-24-09 10:41 PM
    The network extender creates service when there is not any. It is not a repeater, which would extend that signal (say you have 2 bars, it will give no more than 2 bars). In my house, I have 1 bar. With the NE, i have 5. Same with my GF, who does not have any service at home. If you do not have verizon service at home, you will be very happy with the NE. To confirm: You do not need to have VZW coverage to be able to use the NE successfully
    08-24-09 10:48 PM
    Thank you. I do understand that, however, you still need to live within a VZW Enhanced Services Area.
    08-24-09 10:49 PM
    Thank you. I do understand that, however, you still need to live within a VZW Enhanced Services Area.
    nope, shouldnt matter. It was designed to give people service when they have none at all. Either way, you have 30 days to return it, so if it doesnt work how you want it to, just return it. ($35 restock fee will apply)
    08-24-09 10:51 PM
    Where can I use my Network Extender?
    Network Extender will operate anywhere within the Verizon Wireless Enhanced Services coverage area. Not available in the Extended Enhanced Services coverage area or outside of the United States. Refer to Verizon Wireless coverage maps for details.

Answers to FAQs
    08-24-09 10:55 PM
    The only real restrictions will have is if you do not receive GPS signal at your house, but that is very well covered. Just try it out, can return it if it doesnt work
    08-24-09 10:56 PM
    Go ahead & give it a try - one or two miles based on the online maps is not a reasonable indicator.

Realistically, the thing will work in Tibet, but the internal GPS won't allow authentication if it detects you're out of the service area.

So if you're interested in one, order it. Just know your data connection is not 3G and you are limited in the number of phones that han use it.

An alternative could be a Wilson amplifier or something similar. This is an antenna/repeater combo that will amplify signal for a number of devices, including friends on other networks. Some models will simultaneously improve service for CDMA, GSM & iDen. It works in home area, extended area & beyond - Wilson claims up to 50 miles outside a service area, depending on model, but this would require absolutely ideal conditions. I would say 15-20 miles is more realistic

I use the repeaters at home & in some of my vehicles. 3G performance where others have nothing.

Still uncertain if my equipment will retrofit for 4G or if I will need to replace some or all equipment. I need to call them sometime.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-24-09 10:57 PM
    Well, now I'm not so sure. Especially if I need to pay a $35 restocking fee.
    08-24-09 10:59 PM
    It is waived if you are VIP
    08-24-09 11:01 PM
    It works. Think of it as a mini celltower in your home.
    08-25-09 12:03 PM
    It works. Think of it as a mini celltower in your home.
    We will thank you.
    08-25-09 02:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD