05-21-09 02:30 AM
30 12
tools
    I was talking to my neighbor about this earlier. Me and my wife made the switch from alltel a few months ago when we could upgrade and our neighbors just switched back from AT&T (they couldn't get signal with vzw when they moved here a few years ago)........up until bout a year ago AT&T and Alltel were basically the only 2 cell providers here.

When we 1st switched our signal was above average, but now its very intermintent(sp). My storm can go from full bars at 1XEV to just a bar or 2 at 1X in just seconds and be sitting in the same place. My wife's storm does the same and my neighbor was already complaining about having a weak signal. Also we're all having the problem of having people call us and having their end ring and ring and ring, but our phones never ringing (instead of going straight to voicemail if we don't have good signal)

Anyways I was explaining the network extender to my neighbor, but the problem is we can't get dsl in our neighborhood (even though we're 2 miles from the closest town that has dsl). They have Wildblue (satelite) for internet and we tether my BB (which our signal is almost always at full strength while tethered). Does anyone know if the extender will work with wildblue? and if so how far will the extender reach out? (maybe I could talk my neighbors into getting one and then piggy back off of it)
    05-21-09 12:31 AM
    I was talking to my neighbor about this earlier. Me and my wife made the switch from alltel a few months ago when we could upgrade and our neighbors just switched back from AT&T (they couldn't get signal with vzw when they moved here a few years ago)........up until bout a year ago AT&T and Alltel were basically the only 2 cell providers here.

When we 1st switched our signal was above average, but now its very intermintent(sp). My storm can go from full bars at 1XEV to just a bar or 2 at 1X in just seconds and be sitting in the same place. My wife's storm does the same and my neighbor was already complaining about having a weak signal. Also we're all having the problem of having people call us and having their end ring and ring and ring, but our phones never ringing (instead of going straight to voicemail if we don't have good signal)

Anyways I was explaining the network extender to my neighbor, but the problem is we can't get dsl in our neighborhood (even though we're 2 miles from the closest town that has dsl). They have Wildblue (satelite) for internet and we tether my BB (which our signal is almost always at full strength while tethered). Does anyone know if the extender will work with wildblue? and if so how far will the extender reach out? (maybe I could talk my neighbors into getting one and then piggy back off of it)

There was someone on another thread about the extender that said it would work with satellite internet, but it isnt recommended because of latency issues, I believe.
    05-21-09 12:34 AM
    You can forget about it working properly with satellite. Many DSL connections are problematic, even.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-21-09 12:43 AM
    You can forget about it working properly with satellite. Many DSL connections are problematic, even.

Well that stinks..........I guess AT&T needs to get on the ball and get dsl here (doesn't make sense since there are probably 35-40 houses in my "neighborhood" and we can't get dsl).

Although after the screwing we got from AT&T on our cell phones 3 years ago I'm not too sure i'd give them the pleasure of getting dsl. (its bad enough that they're our only choice for phone service, which we have the most basic plan you can have)
    05-21-09 12:59 AM
    DSL isn't dependent on the number of houses - the break even point for implementation is about five customers. There is a limit on how far you can be from the telco central office. So if you're too far away from a CO, forget it.

05-21-09 02:30 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD