05-21-09 02:30 AM
30 12
tools
    Does anyone have a verizon network extender?

Can you tell me how it works?

Does it push the REV A signal?

250 with no monthly fee looks super tempting I am just curious how well it works
    05-19-09 02:19 AM
    I have one.

Works well.

2G connection - no Rev.0 or Rev.A

I had to get one to feed my "secure rooms" in the house. Without it, is is a mobile phone black hole. I did have to go through some gyrations to get the GPS locator to work. Without that, the thing won't work - it is in place not to tell me where my house is; rather it is to assure the device isn't being used outside of a VZW service area. I guess VZW might frown on their service being used in Tehran or Caracas.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-19-09 02:42 AM
    I have one.

Works well.

2G connection - no Rev.0 or Rev.A

I had to get one to feed my "secure rooms" in the house. Without it, is is a mobile phone black hole. I did have to go through some gyrations to get the GPS locator to work. Without that, the thing won't work - it is in place not to tell me where my house is; rather it is to assure the device isn't being used outside of a VZW service area. I guess VZW might frown on their service being used in Tehran or Caracas.

haha yes verizon doesnt want people setting up mini cell neighborhoods

hmm so no data I mean I guess thats not the worse its kind of nice just to have bars.

My entire house is a deadzone of any cellphone ever! if you get more then 1 bar anywhere in the house you are lucky with any cellphone. Sad thing is I am near the city and I can walk halfway up my block and have full bars..

250 doesnt seem like a bad price seeing that its 1 time only
    05-19-09 02:56 AM

hmm so no data I mean I guess thats not the worse its kind of nice just to have bars.

My entire house is a deadzone of any cellphone ever! if you get more then 1 bar anywhere in the house you are lucky with any cellphone. Sad thing is I am near the city and I can walk halfway up my block and have full bars..

250 doesnt seem like a bad price seeing that its 1 time only
    You do get data - just not anything superfast. It is good enough for browsing on BlackBerry.
    05-19-09 09:32 AM
    the only issue i have with mine is it doesnt seem to hold a steady connection.... the reason why i think is im in an area that has an intermittant bar of EVDO, so it seems to try to switch to the a lot and then realize there is nothing there and switch back. whenever you drop off the network extender, it drops the call....
    05-19-09 09:40 AM
    I have a question for those of you who have an extender. When using Google Latitude while connected to your Network Extender, does it skew your location?

When I open Google Latitude, it places me at the Alaska/Canada border. After 20 seconds or so, my GPS places me in the proper location. Why exactly does it always place me on the AK/Canada border?

TwinsX2Dad, something tells me that you dont use Google Latitude for privacy reasons, eh?
    05-19-09 10:55 AM
    the only issue i have with mine is it doesnt seem to hold a steady connection.... the reason why i think is im in an area that has an intermittant bar of EVDO, so it seems to try to switch to the a lot and then realize there is nothing there and switch back. whenever you drop off the network extender, it drops the call....
    I don't have this issue - even though I run from strong tower signal to zilch in lust a few feet.

There are settings that should alleviate this behavior - since I don't have the manual with me (I actually read the thing - shocking for me), I will leave the answer to one of the VZW techs here. I set mine up, configured, then ran with it. Pretty flawless operation.

When I open Google Latitude, it places me at the Alaska/Canada border. After 20 seconds or so, my GPS places me in the proper location. Why exactly does it always place me on the AK/Canada border?
    You need to quit watching so much Star Trek. Scotty is having too much fun with that transporter.
    ITwinsX2Dad, something tells me that you dont use Google Latitude for privacy reasons, eh?
    I don't use any Google services. They have a lot of cool features, but how do they pay for all of it? by selling your info, layering in ads over site ads (which steals revenue from individual sites) & more. They maintain far too much data on everyone. They even skew results based on political view and corporate agendas.

As for accuracy, I had to pull up GIS data for a job an AT&T contractor sent me - he had Google mapping & coordinates included. The area roads have been established for years. I reluctantly went to Google to confirm his data - yes, he was dead on, according to Google. Problem was, Google was 26 miles off and the coords put the job in New Mexico instead of near I-10 in the Willcox, AZ vicinity. The GIS data was dead on, as was my GPS (not Google/MapQuest).

Depending on area, our experience shows Google is considerably off anywhere from 5-20% of the time - not nearly accurate enough to rely on. If one of my guys made mistakes 5-20% of the time, I'd ship him to a ditch digging position for someone else.

Google has been spending far too much time on gimmicks, like putting up images of military installations for the enemy to analyze - and their accuracy is bad and seems to be getting worse.

05-19-09 12:56 PM
    Has nothing to with mini cell neighborhoods. VZW would actually love this as we could grow customer base

It is more that VZW is not allowed to operate such a device in non-licensed area.
    05-19-09 05:55 PM
    I will probably end up getting one
    05-19-09 06:11 PM
    You do get a 30 Worry free gar. if it does not work out for you, just return it
    05-19-09 06:14 PM
    Also you get $50 off if you have a ELEU profile or are a VIP.
    05-19-09 09:41 PM
    I don't understand why it doesn't have EV-DO. It's using your broadband connection so it's not like it wouldn't have the bandwidth.
    05-19-09 10:03 PM
    I don't understand why it doesn't have EV-DO. It's using your broadband connection so it's not like it wouldn't have the bandwidth.
    The reason for this is that it really is not designed for data, it is to improve your voice service in your home. 1X data is a benefit. It need the broadband speed for the transport of the voice communication, much as the VZW Hub.
    Last edited by lastraid; 05-19-09 at 10:56 PM. Reason: fix typo
    05-19-09 10:23 PM
    The reason for this is that it really is not desgined for data, it is to improve your voice service in your home. 1X data is a benefit. It need the broadband speed for the transport of the voice communication, much as the VZW Hub.
    It is a device limitation - as LR says, it is made primarily for voice. To put an EVDO capable radio in it would increase costs, at minimal benefit - after all, you have to have a broadband connection to use it in the first place. It is a reasonable assumption you alreay have a computer connected to that broadband connection.

05-19-09 10:32 PM
    It is a device limitation - as LR says, it is made primarily for voice. To put an EVDO capable radio in it would increase costs, at minimal benefit - after all, you have to have a broadband connection to use it in the first place. It is a reasonable assumption you alreay have a computer connected to that broadband connection.

True, but sometimes I want to download apps from BB App World on my phone at home. Unfortunately I have shady service at home (well, at my mom's house) so it constantly bounces between 1X and EV-DO, with a weak signal on either one. Having 5-bar EV-DO would be great.
    05-20-09 12:49 AM
    True, but sometimes I want to download apps from BB App World on my phone at home. Unfortunately I have shady service at home (well, at my mom's house) so it constantly bounces between 1X and EV-DO, with a weak signal on either one. Having 5-bar EV-DO would be great.

this is kind of what I was getting at. Because we don't have wi-fi option's for a BB if you don't get data reception in your house it either slows down what you want to do or doesn't allow you to do it at all =(

But I think its worth the cost of the device simply to have better voice reception anyway
    05-20-09 03:44 AM
    OMG! I have had this for 3 months now. For years and most big carriers, our neighborhood is a black hole. Then on this very forum I heard about this, forked over my money and my life with cellphones at home is now a pleasure. It hooks up to your broadband (cable or fiberoptic, or other), you have a gizmo for gps that needs to be near a window. you can either leave it alone or go on VZW and limit it to only phones you want. It can handle 3 phones at a time with a 4th reserved for 911. We all love it!
    05-20-09 04:50 PM
    Also you get $50 off if you have a ELEU profile or are a VIP.

you get 50 bucks off if you have a company discount? I am not sure what a ELEU is

I am not a VIP but I do get a company discount.
    05-20-09 05:07 PM
    I bitched and moaned enough about my neighborhood being a black hole that Verizon gave it to me for $150. There are a few of us in this neighborhood who have Verizon and we all get marginal (at best) coverage. Not sure why exactly since everywhere else in this town has exceptional EV-DO.
    05-20-09 06:44 PM
    I bitched and moaned enough about my neighborhood being a black hole that Verizon gave it to me for $150. There are a few of us in this neighborhood who have Verizon and we all get marginal (at best) coverage. Not sure why exactly since everywhere else in this town has exceptional EV-DO.
    In every area that has great coverage, there will be dead or weak spots. Nature of the beast. I use to live in Los Angeles, and had dead spots. Believe in LA coverage is over kill and it still happens.

From whay I understand about towers (and I will derfer to DAD on this) they do not send out signal in 360 pattern, but it less that. Towers are aimed in a way that will afford the best coverage for a given area, thereby creating dead or weak spots.
    05-20-09 07:43 PM
    From whay I understand about towers (and I will derfer to DAD on this) they do not send out signal in 360 pattern, but it less that. Towers are aimed in a way that will afford the best coverage for a given area, thereby creating dead or weak spots.
    I have noticed that the anttenna array is usually triangular and have often wondered why this is. Looking forward to a technical explanation why this is so.
    05-20-09 07:53 PM
    Once again, will defer to DAD on this, he is better tower expert than I.
    05-20-09 07:56 PM
    I had to get one to feed my "secure rooms" in the house. Without it, is is a mobile phone black hole. I did have to go through some gyrations to get the GPS locator to work.
    Can you expand on those gyrations a bit? I'm looking at the Network Extender to provide service in a basement office that currently receives no signal at all. It would be a really long haul to get a GPS signal, so I'm curious how you got around that issue.

Thanks!
    05-20-09 08:29 PM
    Can you expand on those gyrations a bit? I'm looking at the Network Extender to provide service in a basement office that currently receives no signal at all. It would be a really long haul to get a GPS signal, so I'm curious how you got around that issue.

Thanks!

I think on there website it said that a optional gps antena cable is also available with it which would allow you to extend the gps to a place where it could be seen.
    05-20-09 08:35 PM
    I think on there website it said that a optional gps antena cable is also available with it which would allow you to extend the gps to a place where it could be seen.
    Yeah there is a cable to extend the GPS. The length of the cable really surprised me, its probably 20-30 feet. It should work great for you in your basement, Yesterdays Shoveler.
    05-21-09 12:29 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD