I have the Curve and the internet is sloooowwww... and lacks full features of a browser.

I tried the Tour for a bit today and wasn't that impressed with the speed or quality of the internet which was similar to the Curve IMHO.

I have also tried the Storm internet which has better quality of an interface but the speed also isn't quite impressive

Is this a network issue or capabilities of the BB's?

What phone and/or BB has the best of the best when it comes to the internet?
    09-26-09 10:37 PM
    This is mainly due to the bandwidth limitations to/from RIM servers. Get on an HTC or any other WiMo device and see how much faster they are. It's just a Blackberry thing....
    09-26-09 10:42 PM
    There are several operating systems that are faster online, as well as more capable.

So what is better/faster/more capable than BlackBerry? Take your pick.

Of course, if you're comparing a smartphone to a PC, you will be disappointed. But the most PC-like are Linux, WM, Symbian. Coming close are Apple & Palm. Android isn't quite there yet, but it will be.

All are more online-capable than BlackBerry, since BlackBerry technology is stuck in 2005.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-26-09 10:44 PM
    well I havent had any problems with the browser on my tour, you should try turning of your phone for a minute then turning it back on so that it searches for a signal again.
    09-26-09 10:47 PM
    well I havent had any problems with the browser on my tour, you should try turning of your phone for a minute then turning it back on so that it searches for a signal again.
    Set a perfectly configured BlackBerry next to a TP2. No contest.

Now try to view a site with flash or heavy on the scripts.

BlackBerry goes up in flames.

09-26-09 11:04 PM
    All are more online-capable than BlackBerry, since BlackBerry technology is stuck in 2005.
    I don't know how old you are man, but at my age, 2005 doesn't seem all that distant to me...going back a few more decades and there's something to be "stuck" in...

For whatever reason, that just made me feel "old"....
    09-27-09 01:05 AM
    At my age, I blink & a year has gone by.

09-27-09 01:49 AM
    Set a perfectly configured BlackBerry next to a TP2. No contest.

Now try to view a site with flash or heavy on the scripts.

BlackBerry goes up in flames.

Yes thats right. i have been enjoying my tp2 for several days now an there is no comparison in browsing compare to any of the new bb's. Rim should be ashamed with there browsers.

09-27-09 01:49 AM
    The difference is like night and day. Think Winmo 5 or Palm on a Treo and that is what BB looks like. BB is so far behind and I can't believe how many people still think its the best. It isn't by a long shot. And it isn't just the browser either. Opera on the TP2 doesn't even look the same as it does on BB. And you will not find an app like Kinoma Play for BB because the BB OS doesn't have the power or the components to run these types of tools.
    09-27-09 03:48 AM
    I have a question: are you saying that all Blackberries go through BB's servers even if you use Opera Mini? I thought service has to do with coverage by your wireless company (like your internet service on a PC depends on your ISP).
    09-27-09 09:35 AM
    The difference is like night and day. Think Winmo 5 or Palm on a Treo and that is what BB looks like. BB is so far behind and I can't believe how many people still think its the best. It isn't by a long shot. And it isn't just the browser either. Opera on the TP2 doesn't even look the same as it does on BB. And you will not find an app like Kinoma Play for BB because the BB OS doesn't have the power or the components to run these types of tools.
    People who think it's the best, don't use it as a primary browsing tool. The right tool for the right job. By the time my friend with the TP2 is getting to his first email I've already read and responded to 10. There is always a trade-off, but if you want to manage email effectively and efficiently, yes BB is the best.

If your primary interest is surfing and multimedia first you will be disappointed in the BBery.

I don't bother with the browser for serious work on these small phones, I tether and use my laptop when not in my office.
    Last edited by i7guy; 09-27-09 at 10:46 AM.
    09-27-09 10:44 AM
    I tether and use my laptop when not in my office.
    Wait, where's the wifi?
    09-27-09 12:36 PM
    Wait, where's the wifi?
    Wifi on a Verizon BBery. What's that?
    09-27-09 12:42 PM
    Wifi on a Verizon BBery. What's that?
    (((Looks left)))
    (((Looks right)))
    (((Looks far)))
    (((Looks near)))

Me thinks you are correct. No Verizon BB with wifi in sight.

09-27-09 01:46 PM
    I hear you... Browsing on the curve is lacking and if you got it to browse..sorry. I have found that configuring the browser to basically "bare bones" ie. no java script, no background images or colors, or tables does provide for a decent mobile browsing experience. Just an old country boy's opinion though
    09-27-09 02:08 PM
    I agree that the BB browser is dated, however I am more than willing to use Opera Mini, which is proving to be a great browser. As far all else, my BB does all I ask and more.
    09-27-09 03:42 PM
    At my age, I blink & a year has gone by.

I hear ya on that one. I know I'm not too old, but it's weird to think that I graduated high school last CENTURY (class of '98).
    09-27-09 07:28 PM
    Class of '67 here. Ouch.

09-27-09 08:14 PM
    I have the Curve and the internet is sloooowwww... and lacks full features of a browser.

I tried the Tour for a bit today and wasn't that impressed with the speed or quality of the internet which was similar to the Curve IMHO.

I have also tried the Storm internet which has better quality of an interface but the speed also isn't quite impressive

Is this a network issue or capabilities of the BB's?

What phone and/or BB has the best of the best when it comes to the internet?
    I don't have problems with speed on my BB Storm. 3G is not meant to be true broadband. They might call it broadband, but it doesn't hold a candle to my Internet connection at home.

I'm glad to have Internet access without having to turn on my laptop. Mobile internet is a great invention and I think Verizon does a decent job of providing capacity.
    09-29-09 12:48 AM
    3G is a lot faster on my devices - see my panel above.

It really is the device.
    09-29-09 01:33 AM
    Opera mini is pretty nice... class of 07 here lol
    09-29-09 07:32 AM
    Opera mini is pretty nice... class of 07 here lol
    The new Opera 9.7 with Turbo is even nicer. Too bad it is only for WM, Android & Symbian right now.

09-29-09 08:50 AM
    The new Opera 9.7 with Turbo is even nicer. Too bad it is only for WM, Android & Symbian right now.

Have to admit I'm not really surprised there lol
    09-29-09 08:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD