06-09-11 11:05 PM
43 12
tools
    Well, it still means you can keep it as long as you don't change it =P. If you aren't grandfathered, you never can get it.

So just buy your new phones used/new off ebay and you're good (unless they pull the ESN swap BS that Sprint did, which was unheard of until Sprint did it...)
    05-24-11 02:48 PM
    Not familiar with the sprint esn thing. I have a feeling that with the huge business that wireless data has become we are going to be charged accordingly and it will mean at some point they will get you on to a tiered plan. Time will tell and I think the time is short.
    BTW would you be the same "papped" that used to hang in the nokia forum at hofo a few years back? Wow. totally off topic, but our good old nokia sure took a header.
    05-24-11 02:56 PM
    I spent some time on some Nokia forums, but it's been so long I don't even remember which ones or what I did...

Basically with the $10 "advanced" data fee, they changed their policy. Previously 4g phones had a $10 advanced data fee. Eventually they changed it to all smartphones and made it so that even if you did an ESN swap (didn't even have to be from buying a new phone) after a certain date to a smartphone, you got charged the $10 fee per month, with no contract renewal or re-signing...
    05-24-11 03:09 PM
    They will stick everyone on the tiered plans sooner or later. I doubt anyone will be able to avoid it eventually.
    05-24-11 04:45 PM
    idk about everyone else, but with Tmo you're allowed to renew under an old plan. as long as you don't change, it they keep it the same.
    05-24-11 04:50 PM
    Att is like that too, olliegirl, as long as you're upgrading to another smartphone.

Sent from my VZW Thunderbolt.
    05-25-11 06:24 AM
    yeah from what i understand vzw is too. i love my unlimited data iphone!
    05-25-11 04:35 PM
    A lot of peeps moved to VZW from att when they went tiered. Vzw pullin the bait n switch. FTR- I'm using one of the last smart phones without WiFi, so a tiered plan would SUCK. Pandora? Youtube? iheartradio? Fuggetaboutit!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-28-11 01:21 AM
    I am that family talk text and data promotional plan. I get 20 off for every 29.99 data line I have. I was told it doesn't expire until 2064 or something crazy like that. Two lines I added just a few months ago got the "smartphones talk free" which is 9.99 off a month promotion expires after a year.

05-28-11 07:53 PM
    im calling to make sure that plan will not expire on me after a year. i wanna get an lte android before the tiered data takes effect and buy phone off contract after that until the day i die. then ill go heaven and rinse and repeat.
    05-28-11 10:31 PM
    I have Unlimited Data for the life of my contract. They can't force you to switch without waiving the ETF. I think when it goes into effect it will be like any ESN swapping will trigger the new plans.
    06-01-11 10:55 AM
    I have Unlimited Data for the life of my contract. They can't force you to switch without waiving the ETF. I think when it goes into effect it will be like any ESN swapping will trigger the new plans.
    Which is what Sprint did with the exception of a warranty exchange or an insurance change phone. That was the only way you could get around the $10 data fee. I had to swap ESNs twice after the Sprint fee took hold and only because I went through Sprint to get my warranty replacement did the $10 data fee not get added on to my account.

Sucks though that Verizon is doing this. I've got the S2 now and am still under contract until 2012. The S2 was all but obsolete when I bought it back in February, but I didn't want a Curve or a Bold. Hoping the Moncao comes out before the data switch. I may have to sell a kidney or a lobe of liver to pay for it, but at least I can buy it off contract and not have to worry about being forced to live with tiered data. I wifi at work which helps, but at the gym especially I YouTube and SiriusXM radio for at least two hours or more every day. I blaze through some data and last thing I need is more fees and surcharges tacked on because I ran over the data allowance in the first two weeks of the billing cycle.
    06-01-11 11:35 AM
    Sprint pulled a first by doing that, so let's hope they are the only ones who do... Nobody did that prior...
    06-01-11 01:00 PM
    And yet they're promoting the heck out of the UNLIMITED data right now. *while supplies last

06-01-11 04:03 PM
    Makes sense, they will poach a lot of AT&T customers (like me) and Tmobile defects. I doubt esn swapping will even change your plan later because they would have to actually change your rate plan entirely (which violates the contract).

Sprint did some shady stuff by adding an additional "advanced data fee" that didn't modify your rate plan (sort of), but they didn't change the limiations on the original rate plan. I don't think you'd be able to do that in any context without violating the contract and letting people out of the ETF.
    06-01-11 04:15 PM
    QUOTE=kirksucks;6376097]And yet they're promoting the heck out of the UNLIMITED data right now. *while supplies last

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com[/QUOTE

I have seen this too. Cracks me up.

Sent from my VZW Thunderbolt.
    06-02-11 09:36 AM
    Makes sense, they will poach a lot of AT&T customers (like me) and Tmobile defects. I doubt esn swapping will even change your plan later because they would have to actually change your rate plan entirely (which violates the contract).

Sprint did some shady stuff by adding an additional "advanced data fee" that didn't modify your rate plan (sort of), but they didn't change the limiations on the original rate plan. I don't think you'd be able to do that in any context without violating the contract and letting people out of the ETF.

Yeah I moved from Sprint to Verizon when they changed stuff up not too long ago. And now I remember the loophole they have for the ESN swaps. Somewhere deep in the contract it states that you can change the contract by swapping you ESN. So, in effect, they aren't changing anything until you do. I believe that's exactly what Sprint did.
    06-02-11 04:36 PM
    This makes me want to upgrade to an LTE device and get an unlimited data plan... But there are no phones that I want, yet. What to do, what to do? LTE is here on June 16th...

06-09-11 11:05 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD