Analyst Shaw Wu with Kaufman Brothers this week offered new information for those eager to see AT&T's exclusive iPhone relationship end -- noting that sources claim Verizon may not only now be willing to pay for the iPhone -- they may be willing to pay extra to keep the iPhone exclusive to just AT&T and Verizon. "We are hearing that (Verizon) does not want iPhone, the hottest selling smartphone, available on T-Mobile USA and/or Sprint and may be willing to pay for exclusivity to itself and AT&T," Wu wrote. "For these reasons, (Verizon) could be more willing to give in to Apple's terms." Verizon was approached first as the primary partner for Apple's iPhone, but the company didn't like Apple's price tag or conditions, which included no pre-installed carrier junkware or carrier logo on the device.

AppleInsider | Verizon may pay Apple to keep iPhone away from T-Mobile, Sprint
    12-07-10 09:51 PM
    Verizon not loading junkware on a device? I gotta see this! Say what you may, but I am strangely reminded of the ending scene of Dr. Strangelove.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by BergerKing; 12-07-10 at 10:02 PM.
    12-07-10 09:57 PM
    I would be very surprised if Verizon didn't load it up with a bunch of unwanted crap too.
    12-07-10 11:06 PM
    Let me get this straight, analysts on Wall Street, who have been launching rumors for y-e-a-r-s about the iPhone coming to VZW now say that VZW would pay to get it? Give me a break...

First of all, Apple would love, love, love to get a foot in the door with VZWs subscribers. The largest carrier with a reliable network to boot...yeah, VZW has to pander and pay Apple to get an iPhone? These analysts appear to be even more detached than the politicians in Washington, DC.

Next, VZW competes very well against all the major and regional carriers already.

Finally, I'm still not convinced that the iPhone is coming to VZW. If it were happening within the next six months there would certainly be some tangible evidence by now. The Wall Street analysts look at supplier orders, take a guess...guess wrong. They do it again, wrong again...

*yawn*

Would VZW benefit greatly from an iPhone offering? certainly. So would Apple. I suspect however that AT&T's exclusivity isn't up yet. If it was a five year deal...then no dice.

****, we haven't even heard about an iPad with a CDMA/EVDO or LTE chip in it...VZW is selling it with MiFi. (?)

Of course, I could be all wrong about this too and Big Red could be offering at "Temple-Jobs" come the new year... ;-P
    Last edited by Gawain; 12-07-10 at 11:54 PM.
    12-07-10 11:38 PM
    Analyst Shaw Wu with Kaufman Brothers this week offered new information for those eager to see AT&T's exclusive iPhone relationship end -- noting that sources claim Verizon may not only now be willing to pay for the iPhone -- they may be willing to pay extra to keep the iPhone exclusive to just AT&T and Verizon. "We are hearing that (Verizon) does not want iPhone, the hottest selling smartphone, available on T-Mobile USA and/or Sprint and may be willing to pay for exclusivity to itself and AT&T," Wu wrote. "For these reasons, (Verizon) could be more willing to give in to Apple's terms." Verizon was approached first as the primary partner for Apple's iPhone, but the company didn't like Apple's price tag or conditions, which included no pre-installed carrier junkware or carrier logo on the device.

AppleInsider | Verizon may pay Apple to keep iPhone away from T-Mobile, Sprint
    I don't think Verizon really cares, they know some people want the iphone and if they can trump up another charge on you people they will. Some people will pay for anything. I have an Ipod touch that does everything the phone does without being a slave to a carrier. You know they are going to throw some fee or other on it.
    12-08-10 02:13 AM
    Verizon not add some sort of bloatware onto the iPhone?!?!?!
    *stands by to wait for he77 to freeze over*

12-08-10 02:49 PM
    Well, The Eagles said they would get together again when "**** freezes over" and they have now been touring again for several years.

so it can happen......
    12-09-10 09:55 AM
    It seems the android phones are becoming the primary phones for Verizon. If the BB and iphone are options to the android, I can't see Verizon paying for exclusivity.
    12-09-10 10:03 AM
    Well, The Eagles said they would get together again when "**** freezes over" and they have now been touring again for several years.

so it can happen......
    They are gonna tour the SUPERBOWL!!!!!!!!!!
    12-09-10 10:04 AM
    Why can't carries and manufacturers come together and just release their best devices universally??? Apple sees Android catchin up they should be happy to get verizon customers onboard. Verizon customers have been waiting for iphone forever, and I'd love to see a verizon torch too. Its stupid you need switch carriers just to get the phone you want.

12-09-10 12:32 PM
    They are gonna tour the SUPERBOWL!!!!!!!!!!
    I forgot about that. Assuming up to, but no more than 4 songs, I predict the following:

Life in the Fast Lane
    Heartache Tonight
    In the City
    (maybe) Life's Been Good (even though a JW song)

I think Hotel is too long and slow a song to be played.
    12-09-10 12:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD