Pricing remains expensive, traditional -- despite hints to the contrary

Verizon today unveiled more detail about their LTE wireless broadband launch, announcing that they'll be offering the 5-12 Mbps service in 38 markets and 60 airports starting December 5 (AKA this Sunday). Most importantly, Verizon finally unveiled their pricing for the new service, which after a year filled with endless hints by executives about wanting to try something new -- winds up being somewhat underwhelming, traditional, and expensive.

The base pricing for LTE laptop connectivity via USB modem (there will be no smartphones at launch) is significantly more expensive than the 3G pricing they unveiled in October, though the caps are obviously higher. Verizon's current EVDO USB modem plans come in two flavors: $40 for 250MB of usage and $60 for 5GB of usage. Verizon's LTE pricing will now be $50 for 5GB of usage, or $80 for 10 GB of usage, with $10 per each additional GB. Sayeth big red:

Verizon Wireless customers can choose from two 4G LTE Mobile Broadband data plans: $50 monthly access for 5 GB monthly allowance or $80 monthly access for 10 GB monthly allowance, both with $10/GB overage. For laptop connectivity, two 4G LTE USB modems will be initially available: the LG VL600 is available at launch and the Pantech UML290 will be available soon, each $99.99 after $50 rebate with a new two-year agreement. Both USB modems provide backward-compatibility with Verizon Wireless' 3G network. If laptop users travel outside of a 4G LTE coverage area, they will automatically stay connected on the company's 3G network.

It's interesting to note there's not even really an entry level LTE plan (say $25 for a gig of use) after literally dozens of Verizon executive comments claiming usage-based pricing was going to be the future. We'll assume this pricing may evolve as the company begins offering LTE smartphones, which Verizon today announced will arrive sometime in "mid-2011". Verizon also again today confirmed these devices will initially use 3G/CDMA for voice until LTE voice standards are hashed out. As an added aside: the service will only support PCs at launch.

Verizon Wireless Launches the World's Largest 4G LTE Wireless Network on... -- BASKING RIDGE, N.J., Dec. 1, 2010 /PRNewswire/ --
    12-01-10 05:26 PM
    Sprint's unlimited 4G plan is $59.99 5GB of 3G and 4G is UNLIMITED. Verizon needs to get over itself.
    12-01-10 07:21 PM
    Sprint's unlimited 4G plan is $59.99 5GB of 3G and 4G is UNLIMITED. Verizon needs to get over itself.
    Sprints '4G' from what I understand is limited to major metropolitan areas. Verizons '4G' will be available everywhere there is EVDO, at some point in the future. So the pricing difference reflects the coverage distance.
    12-01-10 08:13 PM
    You could just not get it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-01-10 08:35 PM
    Sprints '4G' from what I understand is limited to major metropolitan areas. Verizons '4G' will be available everywhere there is EVDO, at some point in the future. So the pricing difference reflects the coverage distance.
    Sprints 4G is also 3-6 Mbps versus Verizons 5-12Mbps. So if you believe the speeds these carriers advertise Verizons 4G should be twice as fast

12-01-10 08:45 PM
    Yea wimax blows, also lte will have some so you can swap devices and it also has better building penetration.

12-03-10 07:28 PM
    i got my Verizon 4G LTE card yesterday. The LG version. For the brief period of time i was actually in a 4G coverage area, the speed was blazing fast. The first speed test I did was 31.29Mb/s down and 19.65 up. That was to a server in my local area (Los Angeles). Then I tested to a server in Chicago and got 18.07 down and 14.34 up. This compared to the wifi in my house of 10.87 down and 0.91 up on Time Warner RoadRunner cable modem and a wireless-n router.

The reason I'm taking it back is that now, at home and work it will only pickup 3G coverage. I'm not paying this price for 3G service. I have a sprint card that I pay $41 per month with unlimited usage. Yeah, it's not fast. But then again, I mostly use it for data not video and stuff. I spent only about 60-90 minutes with my 4G modem yesterday and i've already used 325MB. I only looked at 2 youtube videos of less than 5 minutes each and then just regular browsing.

5GB is a joke. There is no way I can stay under that unless I only use the card for email for my work. They need an unlimited plan. I bet they are reluctant to do this because when in a 4G coverage area, it is super super fast and I would use it at home instead of my cable modem for sure if the GB was unlimited (and...if I got uninterruped 4G coverage...except for when I first hooked it up, I haven't seen 4G...and I'm in LA for God's sake!)
    12-10-10 08:54 AM
    Have you even called to see if there is problem or outage? have you even called to see if there is setting that is incorrect? You can also get the 10GB plan for $80. If you do not need the 4g at this time - then I agree, take it back.

Remember this is in its infancy stages and there will be device and services coming out that will not run on 3G.

Happy holidays and best wishes on your decision.

i got my Verizon 4G LTE card yesterday. The LG version. For the brief period of time i was actually in a 4G coverage area, the speed was blazing fast. The first speed test I did was 31.29Mb/s down and 19.65 up. That was to a server in my local area (Los Angeles). Then I tested to a server in Chicago and got 18.07 down and 14.34 up. This compared to the wifi in my house of 10.87 down and 0.91 up on Time Warner RoadRunner cable modem and a wireless-n router.

The reason I'm taking it back is that now, at home and work it will only pickup 3G coverage. I'm not paying this price for 3G service. I have a sprint card that I pay $41 per month with unlimited usage. Yeah, it's not fast. But then again, I mostly use it for data not video and stuff. I spent only about 60-90 minutes with my 4G modem yesterday and i've already used 325MB. I only looked at 2 youtube videos of less than 5 minutes each and then just regular browsing.

5GB is a joke. There is no way I can stay under that unless I only use the card for email for my work. They need an unlimited plan. I bet they are reluctant to do this because when in a 4G coverage area, it is super super fast and I would use it at home instead of my cable modem for sure if the GB was unlimited (and...if I got uninterruped 4G coverage...except for when I first hooked it up, I haven't seen 4G...and I'm in LA for God's sake!)
    12-10-10 09:00 AM
    This compared to the wifi in my house of 10.87 down and 0.91 up on Time Warner RoadRunner cable modem and a wireless-n router.
    Why would a person get VZW LTE if they already have Time Warner? Maybe I'm missing something here.
    12-10-10 08:18 PM
    Why would a person get VZW LTE if they already have Time Warner? Maybe I'm missing something here.
    Depending on where you are and signal, LTE will be faster than most cable or DSL connections. Remember, at this time wireless net connections are meant to be your primary connection for internet. People that travel either personal or business will greatly benefit from these speeds. When phones start hitting the market, this change for the everyday user.

Tip: Remember that VZW does have free WIFI hot spots that when used does not use your GB allotment for the month. If you have a current version of VZAM, you can see these locations through VZAM or go to www.vzw.com/wifi to see locations. Also note that your device must be tethered(mifi or five spot), USB just needs to be plugged in to use this service.
    Last edited by lastraid; 12-11-10 at 07:31 AM.
    i_hiker and drjay868 like this.
    12-11-10 07:29 AM
    I was paying $59 a month for 3G 5GB. I'm now paying $40 a month for 4G. No brainer for me. Even if you don't live in a 4G area save some cash and see if you can get the 20% discount. I got the Pantech Modem for free too and I wasn't due for upgrade on that line for over a year.
    12-11-10 09:30 PM
    Depending on where you are and signal, LTE will be faster than most cable or DSL connections. Remember, at this time wireless net connections are meant to be your primary connection for internet. People that travel either personal or business will greatly benefit from these speeds. When phones start hitting the market, this change for the everyday user.

Tip: Remember that VZW does have free WIFI hot spots that when used does not use your GB allotment for the month. If you have a current version of VZAM, you can see these locations through VZAM or go to www.vzw.com/wifi to see locations. Also note that your device must be tethered(mifi or five spot), USB just needs to be plugged in to use this service.
    I live in Palm Springs, CA and I use Time Warner as my main connection to the Internet. When I'm out and about I will use wifi if available. If not, I use my phone connection.

12-11-10 11:09 PM
    I suppose it bears repeating that this is still not a replacement for a home internet connection, so streaming stuff from Hulu and such all day long is a quick way to get suspended and/or charged for overages.
    12-19-10 09:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD