So I have been reading about this lately, and now I am curious. We WILL have to get new devices for this, correct? If so, then that is stupid. I like my S2, and unless they come out with another device like this that is LTE capable, then I think thats stupid. It would be nice if they could make these phones LTE capable by updating the radio or something.. I read that LTE will be on the 700mhz band, and I dont think there are any phones that are able to use that band currently.

Also, people have said that Boston and Seattle are the two cities they are using for testing. I live in Seattle, but I have not heard anything about this from anyone at VZW stores, nor my cousin who works in corporate.

Anyone wanna gimme some more info?
    12-09-09 07:10 PM
    Trust me. Bye the time that LTE is fully deployed, you will want a new device.
    12-09-09 07:14 PM
    LTE will require new hardware. It uses different radios and different frequencies. Sorry for the bad news but it will be worth the upgrade to a new phone if your a heavy data user because you can expect 6 to 10 times the download speed maybe even faster depending on the implementation by the Tel-co. So imagine a Blackberry that can do 100mbps downloading! I can't wait, even though it may be a while before it is common place technology.
    12-09-09 07:33 PM
    Let's just hope RIM can keep up with speeds..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-09-09 08:27 PM
    Uhh... from the Verizon site, it says 5-12mbps down link and 2-3 mbps uplink. So 100mbps DL speeds are not gonna happen on that network. Would be nice... I am used to using the servers at work to DL which have a 1gbps connection.

If we could get 100mbps on our phones, I would DEFINITELY pay for tethering...
    12-09-09 08:36 PM
    Uhh... from the Verizon site, it says 5-12mbps down link and 2-3 mbps uplink. So 100mbps DL speeds are not gonna happen on that network. Would be nice... I am used to using the servers at work to DL which have a 1gbps connection.

If we could get 100mbps on our phones, I would DEFINITELY pay for tethering...
    If you were using an OC-256 (not that a single computer could handle that) connection it really wouldn't browse any faster than a 20Mbps connection due to the simple fact that typical web hosts are going to limit download rate. LTE has the potential to be faster, but it will need the network and hardware to catch up just like cable and dsl progressed.

12-09-09 09:23 PM
    So is sprint 4g considered LTE?
    12-09-09 09:30 PM
    So is sprint 4g considered LTE?
    No Sprint is using WiMax..

12-09-09 09:31 PM
    Let's just hope RIM can keep up with speeds..

There is a post on the CB home page about an LTE BB being developed for a Chinese telco.
    12-09-09 11:22 PM
    There is a post on the CB home page about an LTE BB being developed for a Chinese telco.
    Experimental & doesn't address the bottleneck of the RIM servers, which is what tsguy was probably making reference to.

RIM servers have difficulty with 3G speeds & have to throttle bandwidth during high-traffic times.
    12-09-09 11:39 PM
    It wouldnt seem like it would be that hard to take the load off of their servers. Maybe they should stop infringing on copyrights, and save the $1B they have spent so far paying fees, and put it towards expanding their servers and getting newer more reliable technology. I dont think RIM has their priorities straight...
    12-10-09 02:10 PM
    OH and btw, here at work I can DL over 100mb/s with my laptop, and if I ssh into a server, I can DL just under 950mb/s. The servers are 4 CPU Xeon servers with a 1GB/s fiber connection. Love working with MS
    12-10-09 02:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD