"Weve just been tipped by one of our Verizon ninjas that VZW will be launching a new service called Mobile Recovery, for smartphones, starting tomorrow. Mobile Recovery will provide several functions, including:
    ■Device location using GPS
    ■Sound alarms
    ■Remote device lock
    ■Remote device wipe
    The option will be a free add-on for those customers who subscribe to a Total Equipment Coverage (TEC) plan and have an Android, Windows Mobile, webOS, or BlackBerry device. Weve also been told that: Once enrolled in TEC, which is complete coverage against loss, theft, accidental damage and defects after the manufacturers warranty expires, customers can visit www.MyMobileRecovery.com to download the Mobile Recovery application, or text getmr to 6967 for download instructions.
    was posted on BGR about 3 hours ago just thought you all would be interested...im not sure how i feel yet i like this its cool but i may wait for BB protect feature instead what do you guys think?
    09-15-10 08:09 PM
    I'll install Mobile Recovery until Protect comes out. Protect has been in limited beta since what July so hopefully it goes to a public beta soon.
    09-15-10 09:16 PM
    Ya I heard about this too. It is shocking to me that verizon of all carriers is doing this. I really can't wait to see what they give us.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-15-10 09:23 PM
    I'll install Mobile Recovery until Protect comes out. Protect has been in limited beta since what July so hopefully it goes to a public beta soon.
    yea this is probly what im going to wind up doing but im not sure if i even want to waste my time with it im not a huge fan of most of the vzw apps but yea i herd they were going to let more people get the protect beta soon so that means public release is right around the corner
    09-15-10 09:28 PM
    So for VZW you have to be paying insurance to get it.....typical VZW. This is the kind of thing that should be free.

I'll pass and see what RIM comes out with....
    09-16-10 08:42 AM
    So for VZW you have to be paying insurance to get it.....typical VZW. This is the kind of thing that should be free.

I know huh? How can a "for profit" company charge for a feature like this?

And by the way, this is actually provided thru Asurion and another 3rd party company, which is also a "for profit" company, so yeah you would have to pay for it.
    09-16-10 10:31 AM

You can not install it and not pay for anything and be right where you are now.

Are you complaining just to hear yourself type?

09-16-10 02:40 PM
    Ya I heard about this too. It is shocking to me that verizon of all carriers is doing this. I really can't wait to see what they give us.

Yes it says VZW but when you go to the website and install it is all TEC. Guess if they give it away they may cut down on claims. But I did install and gave it a quick try. Need to see what happens if my phone is on vibrate, will it still set the alarm off. That would be good when I cant find it around the house.
    09-16-10 03:43 PM
    Hmmm... If I got say, 20% off the monthly phone insurance, like I do for having my ADT home security system with my home owners insurance, I'd be willing to install another memory leaking app on my BB.
    09-16-10 04:59 PM
    I've had it on for 24 hours now, and haven't seen any memory leak, but I have a lot of memory to start with so it wouldn't be much of an issue anyway.
    I guess this is a way to add value to the TEC plan. Since they increase the fee for TEC then it its free, right. I do agree with what was said above about making the monthly fee cheaper since this should reduce losses also.

09-17-10 03:05 AM
    The TEC plan is different from the regular Asurian insurance for smartphones, correct? So if have the regular insurance does not apply I guess.
    09-17-10 12:11 PM
    This was posted a few days ago on the main page of Crackberry. I downloaded the app, filled out the page on the site and nothing. It kept telling me it could not find me. Today it went back to the site and it had me dead to rights on radar. I was in the cross hairs of the scope!! Hum... After I did the deed I wondered if they are going to use this against you. Such as claiming it's been ripped off and they still see it operating within your billing area. I like the idea of being able to wipe the phone should it get into some hands that don't need the info. But seriously I think when your phone walks on you without your knowledge they are not taking it for the data within it's the resale value instead.
    09-17-10 01:15 PM
    I've had it on for 24 hours now, and haven't seen any memory leak, but I have a lot of memory to start with so it wouldn't be much of an issue anyway.
    I guess this is a way to add value to the TEC plan. Since they increase the fee for TEC then it its free, right. I do agree with what was said above about making the monthly fee cheaper since this should reduce losses also.

How's the battery life with this app? I tried SmartGuard a while back and the GPS tracking feature was draining the life out of my battery.
    09-18-10 09:31 AM
    Hum, just checked the phone and it's dead!! It had a full charge on Friday afternoon. Today , Monday...deader than a door knob in my desk drawer. You're 100% right on!! Can you say uninstall?
    09-20-10 09:43 AM
    Hum, just checked the phone and it's dead!! It had a full charge on Friday afternoon. Today , Monday...deader than a door knob in my desk drawer. You're 100% right on!! Can you say uninstall?
    If the phone has not been charged since Friday, the dead battery is probably not due to this application. I have to charge my phone every night. I can only go 2 days without charging, and that's without this application installed on my device. I currently have this application installed, and my battery usage has not changed.

09-20-10 10:29 AM
    How's the battery life with this app? I tried SmartGuard a while back and the GPS tracking feature was draining the life out of my battery.
    This app does drain the battery faster than normal. I usually get 2 days before I have to charge. Now I have to charge every night with this app. Changing how often the app tracks the phone helps with the battery life. The app even says that in the setup screen. Also, you can set to stop tracking if the battery get below a certain level. This too helps with battery life.
    09-21-10 10:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD