05-22-10 08:26 PM
49 12
tools
    Yea. not simultanious voice and data.

On a side note. Did a side by side speed test against a Droid today.

Iphone-1397Kbps Down

Droid-402Kbps Down

Ouch. Burns doesnt it.
    Not really, my only dropped calls are when AT&T subscribers call me. Ouch.
    04-02-10 08:55 PM
    Yet to drop a call here in Denver. Ouch.
    04-02-10 09:07 PM
    Um I've used VZNav while on a call. Yes the route must be loaded already and u cannot stray from the route but it most certainly continues to work..
    This works since when you start the route, the phone has loaded the GPS info it needs (precise satellite locations and such), along with the maps, over the data connection. While you stay on route, the phone can continue to make location fixes from the GPS satellites and use the pre-loaded maps. No data connection is needed for this. Same thing if you wander out of cellular coverage while on your route.
    04-03-10 06:59 PM
    Regardless of Skype - the limitation still stands. You cannot use voice and data services at the same time. Voice meaning voice channels and voice network. If you were referring to VoIP that would be considered data only and not voice -- technically speaking.
    If we're just arguing the difference between 1xRTT and EVDO, that's one thing.

But from my point of view, there's two specific reasons I believe they introduced skype:

1. It was, as I said before, a creative solution to the no voice and data at the same time scenario.

2. It's a preparation for LTE. Many believe the primary "voice" service will be pure VoIP, so it makes sense that they would test the waters with existing technology.

I don't differentiate just because it's over one tech or another. If you're talking with your lungs instead of your fingers, it's voice. :P

You're stating that you can't use 1xRTT and EVDO at the same time. Nobody is arguing against that. But there's a big difference between 1xRTT (which refers to a type of cellular connection) and "voice" (which is merely the concept of speaking on one end and being heard on the other). Think of technology as something fluid and evolving, not something stagnant and boxed in. If Alexander Graham Bell didn't, our landlines would be tin cans on a string.

Voice and Data at the same time? No problem!
    04-07-10 03:48 PM
    If we're just arguing the difference between 1xRTT and EVDO, that's one thing.

But from my point of view, there's two specific reasons I believe they introduced skype:

1. It was, as I said before, a creative solution to the no voice and data at the same time scenario.

2. It's a preparation for LTE. Many believe the primary "voice" service will be pure VoIP, so it makes sense that they would test the waters with existing technology.

I don't differentiate just because it's over one tech or another. If you're talking with your lungs instead of your fingers, it's voice. :P

You're stating that you can't use 1xRTT and EVDO at the same time. Nobody is arguing against that. But there's a big difference between 1xRTT (which refers to a type of cellular connection) and "voice" (which is merely the concept of speaking on one end and being heard on the other). Think of technology as something fluid and evolving, not something stagnant and boxed in. If Alexander Graham Bell didn't, our landlines would be tin cans on a string.

Voice and Data at the same time? No problem!
    I'm talking about the fact when you use Skype it will not use data for domestic calling. It will use the same VZW VOICE network. It's only when calling international does it use a VoIP-like connection. Skype is nothing more than Google Voice when you make domestic calls.

So try accessing the internet while making a Skype call. Cannot happen. Skype is not the answer in this situation.
    04-07-10 10:11 PM
    Yet to drop a call here in Denver. Ouch.
    But I can move when I make a call. Ouch!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-08-10 07:19 AM
    this thread ended when you mentioned you saw on FOX NEWS
    04-08-10 07:25 AM
    Why would that matter when Fox News was using the original Wall Street Journal article? The WSJ article was used by many news organizations.

By the way - the Wall Street Journal is owned by News Corp, which owns Fox News. Of course you listen to your MSNBC/CBS propaganda so you wouldn't know that. You believe Bill O'Reilly, Sean Hannity, Glenn Beck, etc.. is the voice of the actual "news". They are talking heads - read any article or watch during the normal news hours like Sheppard Smith and you'll see a lot more credibility with the slogan "Fair and Balanced."
    04-08-10 10:25 AM
    No kidding. This bozo sounds like my brother - if it was on Fox, it is automatically false, even if it says 1+1 = 2.
    04-08-10 10:59 AM
    Why would that matter when Fox News was using the original Wall Street Journal article? The WSJ article was used by many news organizations.

By the way - the Wall Street Journal is owned by News Corp, which owns Fox News. Of course you listen to your MSNBC/CBS propaganda so you wouldn't know that. You believe Bill O'Reilly, Sean Hannity, Glenn Beck, etc.. is the voice of the actual "news". They are talking heads - read any article or watch during the normal news hours like Sheppard Smith and you'll see a lot more credibility with the slogan "Fair and Balanced."
    Yeah and Rachael Maddow and Keith Olberman present a fair and balanced viewpoint. More talking heads. Even when they are right they are wrong.
    04-08-10 12:41 PM
    Fail! . . . . . . .
    04-08-10 01:18 PM
    I'm talking about the fact when you use Skype it will not use data for domestic calling. It will use the same VZW VOICE network.
    Edit: Okay, I took another look. You're right, only international calls.

Still, Skype to Skype counts in my world. Maybe not yours, but even back in the dial-up days, VoIP was free long distance for me. Take it how you want it. *shrug*

Edit Edit: I wonder if you could fake it by dialing +1?

No kidding. This bozo sounds like my brother - if it was on Fox, it is automatically false, even if it says 1+1 = 2.
    Indeed. I'm rather sick of the Anti-Fox stereotypes myself.
    Last edited by Polychrome; 04-08-10 at 11:33 PM.
    04-08-10 11:03 PM
    No. It's still a VoIP call. It uses your minutes for purposes of billing only. (Come on, I took the trainings, I'm good on the specifics.)

Indeed. I'm rather sick of the Anti-Fox stereotypes myself.
    Dude.. lol.. it's still using the voice network.. Doesn't matter what the WBT told you. Try using your internet while on a Skype call.
    04-08-10 11:10 PM
    Dude.. lol.. it's still using the voice network.. Doesn't matter what the WBT told you. Try using your internet while on a Skype call.
    If you are saying it using the voice network will dialing domestically I agree. If you are saying it uses the voice network for skype to skype calls I disagree.
    04-09-10 12:11 PM
    If you are saying it using the voice network will dialing domestically I agree. If you are saying it uses the voice network for skype to skype calls I disagree.
    That's how I tested it. Have you tried using the internet while on a Skype to Skype call?

04-09-10 12:18 PM
    So if you on are skype to skype call your phone will be busy to incoming calls?

04-09-10 02:32 PM
    ROFLMAO!!! That has GOT to be the best line of the day, kudos!

04-09-10 02:39 PM
    So if you on are skype to skype call your phone will be busy to incoming calls?

Correct.. forwarded to voicemail after there was no answer during call waiting.

04-09-10 04:05 PM
    Is there a Guesstimate at this point as when the iPhone is suppose to be released for Verizon?
    05-21-10 09:19 PM
    Is there a Guesstimate at this point as when the iPhone is suppose to be released for Verizon?
    Tomorrow...
    05-21-10 09:27 PM
    Just a side note... Don't argue with this tsguy... He seems to know what he's talking about... Even though he left.
    05-22-10 03:45 AM
    VZW iPhone is not 'scheduled' to drop until at least December, so that follows the 'no-iPhone until LTE,' which I would probably agree.
    Mr. Jobs? Is that you?

No.

You have NO idea when its "scheduled" to come out...
    05-22-10 03:47 AM
    Let me try again...an intelligent estimate?

Tomorrow...
    05-22-10 08:17 PM
    Let me try again...an intelligent estimate?
    August 27th, 2013 at 11:43am.
    05-22-10 08:26 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD