05-22-10 07:26 PM
49 12
tools
    I was watching FOX NEWS this morning and this story came on. Thought i would post a link so everyone can read that Verizon might really be getting the iphone sooner than later..

FOXNews.com - Two New iPhones Coming Soon, Say Sources
    03-30-10 11:58 AM
    Ahhhh I love rumors...
    03-30-10 12:05 PM
    its also in todays newspaper here in cleveland saying the Iphone is being made into a CDMA for Verizon this summer
    03-30-10 12:18 PM
    It *might* be believable if we didn't get this exact same "we caught x chinese manufacturer making CDMA iPhones in a super sekret basement" rumor at least three times a year.
    03-31-10 10:22 PM
    I know it is still a rumor that I don't really care about personally but they did a story on this on WKDKA TV here in Pittsburgh PA and I thought I would share it. They said that the people who make the GSM version will continue doing so but ASUSTek (forget the actual company name) is going to make the CDMA version. I will check to see if they also reported it in print so I can verify what I saw on the 5:00 news the other night.

I found the article but not the video story. The news story on TV gave a lot more detail on who makes the phone now and such but I could have heard it wrong as I was working at the same time but here is the news story from their website.
    Verizon Report Sends Apple Shares To All-Time High - Technology News Story - WTAE Pittsburgh
    Last edited by sjsjr; 03-31-10 at 10:42 PM.
    03-31-10 10:29 PM
    it makes a lot of sense for Apple to gain VZW users. So you can't talk and surf the web at the same time, big deal.

If it does come to VZW i would seriously consider ditching my 8530.
    04-01-10 12:09 AM
    it makes a lot of sense for Apple to gain VZW users. So you can't talk and surf the web at the same time, big deal.

If it does come to VZW i would seriously consider ditching my 8530.
    I disagree. My phone is useless while in navigation on my storm 2 just because of this flaw. It also signs me out as an "error" on all my messenger apps because of the data loss from being on a voice call. It also occasionally crashes my phone at the end of a call because too many things try to enter my phone at the same time making it go haywire.

Try hanging up and and making another call and you will see how annoying it can be to see the hour glass pop up so much because of this flaw! It also renders my device apps useless if I'm using my phone with bluetooth and want to still look something up while on a call

I still wont leave verizon for it, but I wont sit back and say it isnt an issue.
    04-01-10 09:47 AM
    I disagree. My phone is useless while in navigation on my storm 2 just because of this flaw. It also signs me out as an "error" on all my messenger apps because of the data loss from being on a voice call. It also occasionally crashes my phone at the end of a call because too many things try to enter my phone at the same time making it go haywire.

Try hanging up and and making another call and you will see how annoying it can be to see the hour glass pop up so much because of this flaw! It also renders my device apps useless if I'm using my phone with bluetooth and want to still look something up while on a call

I still wont leave verizon for it, but I wont sit back and say it isnt an issue.
    There is something else going on. I realize I can't use VZNAV in the foreground while I'm on a call, but I don't have the issues you are having.
    04-01-10 12:51 PM
    It's called data and voice won't work at the same time.
    04-01-10 02:48 PM
    It's called data and voice won't work at the same time.
    It's called Skype.

So much for "obvious".
    04-01-10 03:31 PM
    While these rumors pop up every other month, this one seems to be valid. The story was originally reported in the Wall Street Journal and it quickly gained steam on every major news network in the country. Like I said, there has been plenty of rumors about this before, but none had the coverage that this one did. There was also speculation that Sprint would also get the iPhone as well, which would make sense.

While no one at Apple or Verizon would comment, it's not hard to imagine that it would make sense for Apple's bottom line. I can see at least 10-20 million iPhones selling if it were released on both Sprint and Verizon, not shabby numbers.
    04-01-10 04:39 PM
    It's called Skype.

So much for "obvious".
    I'm not paying extra for Skype.
    04-01-10 05:44 PM
    I'm not paying extra for Skype.
    its free.....
    04-01-10 06:34 PM
    It's called Skype.

So much for "obvious".
    Doesn't help when calling domestic as it uses voice minutes and voice network/channels.
    04-01-10 07:28 PM
    I was talking to VZW today and I said it will be interesting for them to have the iPhone in the summer. You know what her response was? We already have an iPhone-like device, its called the Droid. I decided not to insult her. The Droid and iPhone are two totally different devices. I don't say one is better than the other, but to say the Droid is iPhone-like are the words of a non-techie. Personally I'd like to have both.
    04-01-10 07:37 PM
    It doesnt surprise me if the iPhone comes to Verizon and later this year or early 2011. But I dont think there will be a CDMA version when they release the 4th generation on At&t this June/July
    04-01-10 07:44 PM
    I was talking to VZW today and I said it will be interesting for them to have the iPhone in the summer. You know what her response was? We already have an iPhone-like device, its called the Droid. I decided not to insult her. The Droid and iPhone are two totally different devices. I don't say one is better than the other, but to say the Droid is iPhone-like are the words of a non-techie. Personally I'd like to have both.
    Funny u should metion them saying their droid is Iphone like, I got a Envy touch in January, and I told the guy I wanted something touch like the Iphone and he had a Driod, and said the exact same thing, I told him I wanted the real thing, not something LIKE it.
    04-01-10 07:47 PM
    VZW iPhone is not 'scheduled' to drop until at least December, so that follows the 'no-iPhone until LTE,' which I would probably agree.
    04-01-10 07:51 PM
    Doesn't help when calling domestic as it uses voice minutes and voice network/channels.
    So? I was only answering the claim that you could not do data and voice at the same time. VoIP nullifies that argument.
    04-01-10 08:13 PM
    So? I was only answering the claim that you could not do data and voice at the same time. VoIP nullifies that argument.
    No argument here. The limitations with the current network not able to do voice + data simultaneously is not an argument. It is fact

Regardless of Skype - the limitation still stands. You cannot use voice and data services at the same time. Voice meaning voice channels and voice network. If you were referring to VoIP that would be considered data only and not voice -- technically speaking.
    04-01-10 11:22 PM
    the iphone is probably the sexiest phone on the market but, in reality (as it is right now) it's made for the less tech savvy people. No multi-task and every thing in tied to one hardware button. I like the phone but, i have come to expect a little more from my "Smart" phone. Maybe with the next generation they will address some of these "issues" until then, NO THANKS! Oh, i forgot to mention, i also hate the fact that i have to use itunes for every app and that there is no removable battery. How much does it cost you to have a battery replaced on an iphone?
    04-02-10 09:12 AM
    Funny u should metion them saying their droid is Iphone like, I got a Envy touch in January, and I told the guy I wanted something touch like the Iphone and he had a Driod, and said the exact same thing, I told him I wanted the real thing, not something LIKE it.
    If you want the iPhone and not something like it, why do you ask for something touch like the iPhone? You just contradicted yourself in one sentence.
    04-02-10 12:11 PM
    There is something else going on. I realize I can't use VZNAV in the foreground while I'm on a call, but I don't have the issues you are having.
    Um I've used VZNav while on a call. Yes the route must be loaded already and u cannot stray from the route but it most certainly continues to work..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-02-10 01:29 PM
    You're really surprised she said this? I bet they're trained to say this

And in all reality the Droid is iPhone-like. She didn't misspeak. It's not like she said "oh here's an iPhone" and handed u a Droid to hold.

04-02-10 01:33 PM
    Um I've used VZNav while on a call. Yes the route must be loaded already and u cannot stray from the route but it most certainly continues to work..

Yea. not simultanious voice and data.

On a side note. Did a side by side speed test against a Droid today.

Iphone-1397Kbps Down

Droid-402Kbps Down

Ouch. Burns doesnt it.
    04-02-10 07:46 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD