10-26-09 01:58 PM
53 123
tools
    btw, did you read my 1000 thread post speech in random rep comments??
    Actually no, I missed it. I only go into that thread occasionally - I don't find much in there to interest me - when I do, I usually just make a simple statement regarding the last one or two posts.
    10-25-09 03:54 PM
    OK the insurance offered by Asurion is a rip off. I agree with that. It is not only the opinion of some of the people on this site but also most (if not all) of the consumer reports and news folks agree.

Here is what I want to know.

I have 3 lines on my account. One is for my sister who has already accidentally dropped 2 phones into water over the 6 years she has had a cell phone. Luckily they dried out and worked. The other is for my teenage niece who has yet to have an accident with hers. I am not worried about warranty issues or loss of the phones. I am only slightly worried about theft because we live in a good neighborhood and crime isn't a huge problem.

What concerns me is water damage. It is all too easy to get a phone wet. Without some type of insurance the device is not covered and Verizon is not going to just give people deals (and they should not as it is not their fault or responsibility) just because you got caught in a downpour and your phone shorts out. Now your only option is to pay for a used phone on Ebay/Craigsllist or full retail at the VZW store. Not everyone has $400 + lying around to just buy a new phone.

What I want to know is about other options. What are the alternatives?

I talked to my State Farm agent and they will not cover cell phones on their personal property insurance. Desert Dogs said Geico won't either. My homeowners said they would cover it but was subject to the deductible which is more then a new phone anyway. I have not called Travelers as DD suggested because it is Sunday. Who else can you get coverage from? Is there any company that is actually worth paying money to for this insurance? Is it better just to get an extended warranty if it is offered?

Thanks for any suggestions. I did not want to start a new thread so I figured I would ask here in this one.
    10-25-09 09:47 PM
    well, look, if you've done the math and have decided that the risk of loss is high enough that insurance makes sense for you, then go for it. The problem is people who just take salesmen's word for it. I knew a guy who traveled around the world like all the time. His phone was lost, stolen, destroyed, fell down a mountain, all sorts of things. For him it was worth it. Just do the math, figure out the percentage risk of loss that would make the insurance worthwhile. If it comes out that you break even if you have a 1 in 5 chance of needing a replacement, and you think you have a greater than 1 in 5 chance of needing a replacement, then by all means get the insurance.

But remember, insurance is not there to benefit you, it's there to benefit insurance companies. The entity that can best compute risk of loss is the winner in the insurance biz. Try to make that entity.. you!
    10-26-09 01:58 PM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD