10-26-09 01:58 PM
53 123
tools
    I understand what you are saying and I did ask about the personal device insurance. I looked it up on their website and then went into my local office. The lovely ladies there told me they would cover computers, TV's, Laptops, etc but they would not cover a cell phone in the personal device insurance. I even asked if there was an exception for a Smartphone type of cell phone. I mean they are in a way a pocket computer. Still got a no. And believe me they are more then willing to sell me any policy I would buy! I did not call Geico (my other insurer) because they did not have anything listed on their website close to this type of policy.

Homeowners (Allstate) told me any claim has the same deductible no matter what it is.
    10-22-09 10:37 PM
    wasnt there another very lengthy and heated thread regarding this issue a couple months ago?
    I still stand by my opinions but everyone has their own.
    10-22-09 10:42 PM
    I understand what you are saying and I did ask about the personal device insurance. I looked it up on their website and then went into my local office. The lovely ladies there told me they would cover computers, TV's, Laptops, etc but they would not cover a cell phone in the personal device insurance. I even asked if there was an exception for a Smartphone type of cell phone. I mean they are in a way a pocket computer. Still got a no. And believe me they are more then willing to sell me any policy I would buy! I did not call Geico (my other insurer) because they did not have anything listed on their website close to this type of policy.

Homeowners (Allstate) told me any claim has the same deductible no matter what it is.
    GEICO won't do it. I have mine with Travellers. They used to cover my smartphone for I think $6 per hundred dollars valuation per year with their personal articles floater. Now that my insurance is with them I think it is an extra $16 per year. A friend of mind got his smartphone at Sams Club and he bought their coverage. I think he said it was like $99 for two years.
    10-22-09 11:05 PM
    I've never had to pay to full retail for an advanced data device. Not on my Tour, not on my Storm, not on my Curve and not on my Treo 650. I just simply take care of my stuff.
    How have you gotten so many phones without paying full retail...more than one line?
    10-22-09 11:35 PM
    Here are a couple articles from The Consumerist. Check out the comments on the second one - including State Farm, GEICO & others with insurance riders.

If you're paying $16/year, note the $11/year claim on renter's insurance. YOU'RE GETTING RIPPED OFF!

I know the articles are about iPhone - but the same thing is available for ANY smartphone.

Personal Security: Make Sure You Secure Your Smartphone

Peace Of Mind: Yes, You Can Insure Your iPhone Against Accidental Damage And Theft

I pay about $160/year - but that covers computers & data, too. If I left out data, it would be half that - and still applies to more than just the phone.

So folks, I am not anti-insurance or anti-risk management. I am anti-ripoff. If you buy the Asurion line, you're naive, ignorant or lazy & deserve to be ripped off.

A few simple searches & calls will give you information for your area - you will save money & get better coverage. And, personal article coverage that protects your smartphone is available in all states, so if one company doesn't offer it in your state, try another. Another idea is to check with an independent broker - but remember that for some policies, you may be required to have other coverage with a company and/or good credit.

Good credit is essential. If you don't have good credit, you may not have as many options. Asurion coverage is on the same level as check-cashing places, so if your credit is bad, you might not be able to have a checking account or a real insurance plan.
    10-22-09 11:44 PM
    GEICO won't do it. I have mine with Travellers.
    I will have to see if they offer any coverage in my area. Trust me I hate paying the extra money for Asurion and like I said I know it is a rip off but in my opinion it is better then nothing.
    10-23-09 12:25 AM
    I know it is a rip off but in my opinion it is better then nothing.
    Is it?

I am unsure here on this, but I seem to recall many accounts of people buying replacements from VZW. Not new, mind you, but refurbs - at substantial savings. We'll have to see if a rep can confirm this.

In 20 years, I haven't lost a phone & the only ones I've damaged were intentional.

For me, at current pricing, if I had Asurion, I'd have paid almost $2000 - over if you want to be financially sound & figure in interest income. If I'd lost one phone, I would then pay $89 on top of the premiums. This might not be bad if I got a new phone. But I would get a refurb that Asurion pays about $50 for.

So I'd have paid $2100 for a used phone that I could have picked up on eBay for less than $200, or through some refurb outlets for about $100.

Let's say I had a string of episodes with clumsiness & lost three in two years. Premiums of almost $200, plus $180 in deductibles - let's say $375 to make it easy. I would still be out the full cost of one phone, because they limit you to two in two years.

I just paid $375 for two used phones & now I must pay $400 for a new one. I am at $775 in two years and now don't have insurance anyway. Maybe I need to pay attention to what I am doing.

Something I learned a long time ago with pens. If I bought cheap BIC stick pens, I was forever losing them. I couldn't keep a fifty cent pen for the life of me. If I bought a $5 Schaeffer retractible, I had it for years. I still have many pens more expensive, but have no idea what happened to all the sticks.

Had a similar issue at work. My supplies person told me that we were going through pens like no tomorrow - she was looking for a better deal. I took the catalog out of her hand & found Parker retractibles. They could be personalized & were refillable, but were $9.50 each. I told her to get the quantity discount & order 150 of the things with our company name on them. She thought I'd lost my mind, but didn't argue... much. The order came in the day before our safety meeting. At the meeting, I gave everyone a new pen & told them that was their work pen. In two years, my guys lost a grand total of two of them. Now, instead of 5 or 6 boxes of cheap pens per month, we order maybe three per year.

I think the same thing happens with phones. If you're under the impression that you can get another for fairly cheap, you don't pay close attention to the one you have.

Cell phone insurance through carriers is uniquely North American. In Europe, people are seldom offered loss/damage coverage through their carrier - yet they also don't get subsidized phones. Check the price on a new unlocked Nokia smartphone - $1000 isn't uncommon & $600 is fairly normal. Even Amazon sold out of unlocked $1000 Omnia 2 phones in rapid fashion. Think those buyers got Asurion coverage? Nope.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-23-09 01:14 AM
    I actually think to some degree it depends on the user...

How likely they are to lose or damage the device...

I know I've seen some situations where an individual is just weeks into their contract, then they lose their phone... But don't have insurance....

I'm just thinking, this poor fool is going to have to go pay more money for another phone when they just bought one...

If they get a refurb or one off ebay/craigslist... It won't have a warranty...

So unless they pay full retail price for another device... They're looking at probably paying more for a device than the subsidized price they paid weeks earlier.... And most likely ending up with a worse phone, with less of a guarantee....
    10-23-09 01:23 AM
    I don't carry the insurance for "careless" damage purposes. I take excellent care of my phones. Even my original audiovox phone still looks almost new and it is almost 8 years old. I keep them for spares. The only reason I keep insurance is because of theft, losing the device in some unforseen manner, or some type of water damage.

I have yet to need the insurance for any of my 3 lines but as was posted earlier I keep it "In case stuff happens." If Verizon sold refurb phones for fairly cheap I would ditch the insurance right now.

10-23-09 10:58 AM
    I bet after paying retail once, you would wish you would have gone with that insuance.
    Been there, done that, will never go through it again.
    10-23-09 11:54 AM
    Been there, done that, will never go through it again.
    Somewhere at the bottom of Lake San Marcos (SD County), lies an 8800 (T-Mobile) from a couple years ago. In the seconds after it happened, all I could think about was "f*ck...good thing I have insurance!" I also baby my phones, but sometimes sh*t happens. I even got lucky with that one. When I called Asurion, I was informed the 8800 was discontinued, and they replaced it with an 8820..brand new.
    10-23-09 12:07 PM

My whole family is with Verizon and I looked at insurance at $4.99 for my teen age daughters. Sounded like a good deal until I asked a Verizon tech about the plan. She said $4.99 a month and if you break the phone you pay $50.00 to the insurance company and they (Verizon) with send you a refurbished phone. She said if you don’t have insurance you pay Verizon $50.00 for them to service the phone which includes (if they so determine) a refurbished phone.

Save your money either way (if your phone does not work) you lose your pix, videos etc. and get a refurbished phone.

I will also tell you this, believe it or not people that work at Verizon are human and over the years I have found that just talking –chit chat- sports, whatever with them tends to build a camaraderie and they tend to go the extra mile. One tech did some Verizon “magic” and replaced a broken phone with a new one for free. I have never had a bad experience at the local (Charlotte area) Verizon stores.
    Last edited by credemann; 10-23-09 at 12:29 PM.
    10-23-09 12:27 PM
    I absolutely think it depends on the user.

When I got my pearl, I didn't get insurance. Never lost it, but everyday, I clutched onto it in fear of having to drop a huge amount of money upfront for a new one.

I have insurance on my tour mostly for piece of mind.

But that's just me. I'm always on the go, running from one place to another.

My mom on the other hand, who has a blackberry as well, lives in the suburbs, drives to the mall, the grocery, the movie theatre. The chances of her losing her phone are much lower. (She doesn't have insurance.)

Oh and about what credemann said, verizon will fix your phone while it's still in warranty (one year I believe), but generally, this does not cover water damage, physical damage (cracked screens, dog chewed on your phone - oh, it happens), and theft/loss. Insurance covers all that. I left my cellphone on a plane once, called my insurance and they sent me a new one, no questions asked.

although once I near my contract renewal date, ill cancel my insurance. If I lose/break my phone then ill just renew my contract

Last edited by redsoxrocker; 10-23-09 at 02:41 PM.
    10-23-09 02:38 PM
    Thats all just well said.
    10-23-09 03:51 PM
    I was wondering if insurance for verizon is actually worth it for the blackberry storm. Also does anyone know how much it is a month
    statistically, it ain't even close to being worth it. That's why they push those plans so hard. It's pure profit for them.
    10-23-09 10:25 PM
    statistically, it ain't even close to being worth it. That's why they push those plans so hard. It's pure profit for them.
    And you have stats to prove this?
    Obvviously they profit does your car insurance make profit?
    10-24-09 08:17 AM
    Read a couple of these articles. There are some on electronics extended warranties and car extended warranties. They are all HUGE profit makers for the industries involved, which is why they push them so hard.

The Warranty Windfall

Five Reasons Not To Buy An Extended Warranty

Are Extended Warranties Warranted? at SmartMoney.com

What you want to do is run the numbers to decide whether it makes sense. For example, if you keep your phones for, say, 2 years on average. The extended warranty is $5 a month. The average retail price of the phone (which drops) over the 2 years would be, say $400, there's an $80 deductible.

Ok so you're paying a total of 24 months times $5, $120. Add the deductible of $80 and you have spent $200 if you phone craps out in two years. That's half the price of a $400 phone. If the phone breaks after, say, 4 months you'll have paid $20 plus the $80 for $100 if the phone breaks. That's 1 in 4.

In the above scenario, if you don't have at least a 25-50% chance of needing a replacement for your phone in that 2 years, the extended warranty has been worthless to you.

Now if you want to come along and nitpick my numbers, you're missing the point. The point is, unless you're an absolute klutz or you live in Harlem, the odds of an extended warranty being beneficial are tiny. Do you really have a 25%-50% chance of your phone needing to be replaced? (with a refurb). And these numbers don't even include the warranty that's ALREADY on the phone, which would make the numbers even worse for you.

Do the math for your own situation. If you're honest with yourself you'll find that the break-even point based upon your risk for needing a new phone means they'd have to price the extended warranty at about 50 cents a month to make the deal a good one for you, with a $20 deductible or so at most.

Extended warranties are a bad, bad deal for the VAST majority of consumers. Why does big business push them so hard? For the consumers' benefit? ahahhahaa
    Last edited by Furballz; 10-24-09 at 03:38 PM.
    10-24-09 03:32 PM
    He doesn't need stats - it is a well-known fact for anyone who has put pencil to paper.

He posted links to a couple of good articles, and you can also check with any well known consumer advocates - CU, Consumerist, David Horowitz, Clark Howard, etc. They all tell you to say no.

Read some of what I wrote in this thread - then tell me you need stats.

About the only things you will ever want to buy protection plans for are plasma TVs - and those have become more reliable.

10-24-09 05:28 PM
    i have found that i have enough upgrade options (through my family plan and my corporate plan...early upgrades are transferable from one account to another) and warranty coverage that it's not worth it. if there is a problem with the phone in the first year, verizon is pretty good about taking care of it. if something happens, like i break it, or there's a technical problem after the first year i can use an upgrade from another phone on my home or corporate account. and yea, the monthly cost and deductible just went up, so it seems like a very profitable scheme for verizon.
    10-24-09 05:37 PM
    Are we still at this?
    10-25-09 02:45 AM
    I was wondering the same thing... didnt we have this same argument like 3 months ago and didnt even though valid arguments were made no progress was met and the question wasnt even answered I dont think...
    Let
    it
    GO!
    I swear people start threads just to sit back and watch the high posters and reps go at each other like roosters at a c0ck fight.
    10-25-09 08:39 AM
    I swear people start threads just to sit back and watch the high posters and reps go at each other like roosters at a c0ck fight.
    Agreed - there will always be the foolish who will defend their choice, no matter what, because they cannot comprehend reality. Then there are those who revel in their smug righteousness and relish ticking off the naive group.

Then there are those who love starting fires, then standing back to watch the panic.

It is pretty much this - Asurion plans are a ripoff & no amount of I PREFER THE COMFORT & PEACE OF MIND makes you correct - it only proves you're not smart with money. If you don't mind being ripped off or you're not bright enough to see the truth, nothing we say here will change that - both are genetic issues & I am not your daddy.
    10-25-09 02:29 PM
    Agreed - there will always be the foolish who will defend their choice, no matter what, because they cannot comprehend reality. Then there are those who revel in their smug righteousness and relish ticking off the naive group.

Then there are those who love starting fires, then standing back to watch the panic.

It is pretty much this - Asurion plans are a ripoff & no amount of I PREFER THE COMFORT & PEACE OF MIND makes you correct - it only proves you're not smart with money. If you don't mind being ripped off or you're not bright enough to see the truth, nothing we say here will change that - both are genetic issues & I am not your daddy.
    your use of the word "smug" in reference to others is ironic.
    10-25-09 02:40 PM
    hear hear...
    You and I went rounds on this last time. Its your choice its my choice. I completely respect your opinions on it and you have very VERY valid points. One day I might even act on those valid points. :P
    Basically, I'm tired of noobs are troublemakers starting threads that are decades old just to see us all get at each other. EVERYthing you said in this thread you already had to say last time. Its a waste of your time... although it helps your post count! LOL
    btw, did you read my 1000 thread post speech in random rep comments??
    10-25-09 02:41 PM
    your use of the word "smug" in reference to others is ironic.
    Um, not at all - it was part of a greater statement. Read the rest - I do not relish making others feel inadequate.

Then again, maybe your picking & choosing words out of a statement is indicative of your intent?
    10-25-09 03:45 PM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD