10-26-09 01:58 PM
53 123
tools
    I was wondering if insurance for verizon is actually worth it for the blackberry storm. Also does anyone know how much it is a month
    10-22-09 02:39 PM
    That's what I ask myself for every insurance plan, but its only worth it if you have a knack for breaking, losing or dropping your phone in water. If not you can always replace at full retail. Like Chris Rock said they should call it "in case $hit happens".
    10-22-09 02:43 PM
    I'm not sure current pricing, i pay 4.99 a month with 50 dollar deductible. i think New deductible is like 80. So, would you rather pay say 7 dollars a month and 80 bucks for a new phone, or 300 all at once when you destroy your phone?

Up to you beyond that.
    10-22-09 02:44 PM
    oh and the cost....
    Phones**
    $5.99 per month per covered phone.
    $39 non-refundable deductible per approved claim.
    Advanced Devices**
    $7.99 per month per covered device.
    $89 non-refundable deductible per approved claim.
    10-22-09 02:44 PM
    the above one was for TEC, for WPP its
    $4.49 per month per covered phone.
    $39 non-refundable deductible per approved claim.
    Equipment maximum limit: $250 per completed claim.
    Advanced Devices**
    $6.00 per month per covered device.
    $89 non-refundable deductible per approved claim.
    Equipment maximum limit: $1500 per completed claim.
    10-22-09 02:45 PM
    I think it's actually $8 a month for "smart phones".

In my opinion, insurance is NEVER worth it. If you're a clumsy person and are prone to breaking/losing things, go for it.

I've never ONCE needed to, had I been paying for it all these years, it would be money down the drain. My "insurance" policy is always save my last phone in case something happens, I have one to go back to.
    10-22-09 02:46 PM
    Having had various cell phones for lots of years and only one bad experience (cost me a new phone on an expiring contract) and no insurance ever, I'd have to say I am way ahead of the game. Maybe one day my luck will change but until then no extended warranties or insurance for this boy.
    10-22-09 02:47 PM
    Ever had to pay full retail for an advanced data device? If not, then try it once.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-22-09 02:54 PM
    I bet after paying retail once, you would wish you would have gone with that insuance.
    10-22-09 02:55 PM
    get the insurance, unless you live in a bubble, its a good idea. things aren't always in our control.
    10-22-09 03:06 PM
    I've never had to pay to full retail for an advanced data device. Not on my Tour, not on my Storm, not on my Curve and not on my Treo 650. I just simply take care of my stuff.
    10-22-09 03:07 PM
    I bet after paying retail once, you would wish you would have gone with that insuance.
    Ditto...............
    10-22-09 03:19 PM
    I take very good care of my devices too, but you never know what is going to happen. I would rather pay my $10 a month (best buy) than have to rplace my device for full price.
    10-22-09 03:33 PM
    I got screwed on my Pearl a while ago which got a little water under the trackball. better to put the money into a good case or skin unless you're accident prone
    10-22-09 03:50 PM
    Or just but a really cheap phone.
    10-22-09 03:52 PM
    I baby my crackberry too. Yet I still managed to have one fly out of my hand hit a wall and land in a toilet. It can and does happen. Better safe than sorry.

10-22-09 03:57 PM
    Is verizon insurance worth it
    Absolutely not - it is a complete ripoff & anyone who tells you otherwise either doesn't know any better or is lying to you.

If you need to insure your device, first check your current plans. If they don't offer you coverage, ask if they can. If they can't, there are still other options - like standalone personal device protection plans.

If you purchase your device through a reputable authorized dealer, they may have additional options.

The Asurion plan through any carrier costs you between about $60 & $100 per year. For that, you will get to pay them a deductible that is more than they pay for the refurbished device they will send you. They pay, on average, $60 for a smartphone, $40 for a feature phone & $20-$30 for a regular phone.
    The math for carrier sanctioned Asurion plans makes zero financial sense & those who know money will tell you this. Those who don't, will tell you to get it.

10-22-09 03:58 PM
    Twins you just made a great point. His question was about VERIZON insurance, not insurance in general.

Verizon insurance = Not so great

Insurance in general = Smart move
    10-22-09 04:02 PM
    Twins you just made a great point. His question was about VERIZON insurance, not insurance in general.

Verizon insurance = Not so great

Insurance in general = Smart move
    Exactly - I have nothing against reasonable insurance - if you need it, get it. The Asurion model is what is flawed. There are authorized resellers who offer decent plans for a lump-sum of between $50-$100 that give you a NEW phone with a lower deductible that Asurion does.

With my insurance (a complex mess that covers everything I have & do), I call, file a claim, order a new phone & get the check in two to three days - no deductible. I don't even have to get the same phone.

10-22-09 06:52 PM
    Exactly - I have nothing against reasonable insurance - if you need it, get it. The Asurion model is what is flawed. There are authorized resellers who offer decent plans for a lump-sum of between $50-$100 that give you a NEW phone with a lower deductible that Asurion does.

With my insurance (a complex mess that covers everything I have & do), I call, file a claim, order a new phone & get the check in two to three days - no deductible. I don't even have to get the same phone.

Where can I get some of this insurance ??
    10-22-09 08:11 PM
    I only get it for my Kids.
    10-22-09 08:14 PM
    what type of insurance is this that you can add your phone to? Homeowners?
    10-22-09 08:20 PM
    Auto, homeowners, personal, AMEX - there are a lot of options, all depending on your insurance company & policies.

Then there are product protection plans.

It is really ludicrous to think that paying such a high premium & still have a high deductible for a used device benefit is worthwhile.

A direct comparison:

Buy a Honda Accord - $30,000 sticker.

Insurance on that car might run you say $1000 (ballpark) per year. This is about 1/30 of the new cost.

Asurion insurance on a $500 smartphone will run you about $100 per year. This is 1/5 of the new cost.

Deductible on the Honda - let's say $500, or 1/60th of the new cost.

Deductible on the smartphone is $90 or about 1/6 of the new cost.

I wreck my Honda & get new parts.

I wreck my Asurion-covered smartphone & I get a refurbished unit.

To compare, using Asurion's pricing structure, I would be paying $6000 per year in premiums on the Honda, and have a $5000 deductible - and if I wrecked it, I would get parts from the junkyard.

Sound like a winner to you? Me neither.

Couple that with the fact you can only have two Asurion claims on a phone & you're pretty much the dummy who put two & two together & thought you had seven. It just doesn't add up.

For the easiest comparison, check out State Farm's Personal Article insurance - find it on their Website (State Farm Insurance - Auto, Life, Homeowners, & More), then call the number. I don't have State Farm, but they are a solid company & their little plan is cheaper than Asurion & gives you a new device should you lose yours.

Or, swing by a major authorized reseller the next time you get a new phone. Even Walmart/Sams Club offers product protection for something like $39 or so. Don't hold me to that figure, as I hit Walmart about once every two years - but I don't think I am far off.

Even buying a phone with my Amex card gives me better protection (for free) than Asurion offers.

10-22-09 08:42 PM
    I have State Farm insurance on my motorcycle and they told me they did not offer insurance for any type of cell phone period. Maybe it changes by region but I could not get a policy for my phones. When asking about it being covered on a homeowners policy I was told the deductible still applied. If your insurance deductible is 500 what is the point? I agree Asurion is a rip off but I can't find a better solution through any of my insurance companies so I have Asurion

10-22-09 09:17 PM
    I keep hearing that people are asking for cell phone insurance - they don't offer it. You need to ask for personal device protection & remember that some agents don't want to sell it - there isn't a lot of commission in it.

They sell insurance for computers & laptops - not much difference in insuring a smartphone.

As for deductible, look at your car - do you have glass coverage? I know I do. If my glass gets broken, I pay nothing, even though I might have $1000 deductible.

10-22-09 09:26 PM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD