02-18-09 08:42 AM
85 123 ...
tools
    I should probably feel bad doing this but it seems verizon could do at least a little better with insurance. If i lose or break my phone and have to replace it i have to pay 50 bucks on top of the monthly fee i already pay plus i can only get two replacements a year

My girlfriend has sprint and they pay some fairly low monthly fee and get unlimited yearly replacements with no deductible...

So do you think it is justified to say that i "lost" my phone when i actually broke it so that i can keep all the accessories? Seems like such a ripoff that i have to pay them to get just the phone without any accessories for a broken phone
    02-01-09 02:06 AM
    I should probably feel bad doing this but it seems verizon could do at least a little better with insurance. If i lose or break my phone and have to replace it i have to pay 50 bucks on top of the monthly fee i already pay plus i can only get two replacements a year

My girlfriend has sprint and they pay some fairly low monthly fee and get unlimited yearly replacements with no deductible...

So do you think it is justified to say that i "lost" my phone when i actually broke it so that i can keep all the accessories? Seems like such a ripoff that i have to pay them to get just the phone without any accessories for a broken phone
    Well first lemme say that your "justification" is entirely up tp you. That's something you will have to live with, and yes we can all comment on whether or not it's right or wrong but still the decision is yours. I will say this in regards to the $50 fee. I totallly screwed my first Curve a month or so after I first got it, they waived the $50 fee. So keep that in mind in your approach. Good luck!
    02-01-09 02:14 AM
    OK....Sprint has pretty much the exact same insurance as you do.

To get the same exact insurance that VZW subscribers get is actually more $$ on Sprint than on VZW. As for the $50 dedcutible, it is the same as on VZW. If you lose the phone or it gets physical damage, you pay the $50 to get a new phone. Just like on VZW.

And I'm pretty sure Sprint has the replacement limit as well. I just came from Sprint and that's where my knowledge is from considering I had the insurance on it.

The no fee replacement comes under the extended warranty.
    02-01-09 02:40 AM
    You could just not have the ins and just pay the full amount for the phone If that would make you happier. Even with the monthly fee and the 50 you will be nowhere near paying as much as just buying your phone at what it costs vzw

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-01-09 03:02 AM
    None of the carriers' insurance is worth anything, nor do they make financial sense.

02-01-09 03:07 AM
    I have sprint and been with them for 10 years and their program is just like VZN. $7.00 a month plus $50 for replacement and 2 per year.

02-01-09 03:12 AM
    Ok just my 2 cents but I pay 5.99 a month for insurance that 72.00 a year I'm allowed 2 replacements a year each on a 50.00 deductible thats 172.00 a year to replace 2, 500.00 phones, I actually think this is a good rate. I'm sorry but wheres the rip off or is this because you broke the phone and think someone else should pay for your mistakes. Oh but wait we do Thats why there is such a mark up on everything we purchase, companies have to absorb the cost of theft and cover their loses. So lie to them get what you need and b**ch some more about how your being ripped off, I'm sure it'll make you feel better, Knowing you didn't steal anything you just told a lie and they give it to you, Thats so much better than stealing.
    02-01-09 03:45 AM
    ...Seems like lying and stealing...

02-01-09 06:59 AM
    People pulling stunts like the one this poster has described is one of the
    major reasons why our hardware continues to skyrocket in price.

Did it ever occur to you to TAKE CARE of your phone? I've carried a lot of cell phones, PDAs, and Blackberries since 1998 and I can truthfully say I've never lost one OR needed to call upon my carrier's insurance. (And yes, I do pay for the insurance - just in case.)

How many "replacements" per year would be an acceptable number to you?

This person sounds like the boy who cried 'wolf', and then got upset when the townspeople no longer listened.
    02-01-09 07:21 AM
    I think the name of this thread should be I'm trying to rip off verizon insurance instead of verizon insurance is a rip off

02-01-09 12:09 PM
    simple solution! Treat it as car insurance! if ur a risk, ur price goes up! if ur not, it stays low!

Its funny how even the simplest of solutions ELUDE us!
    02-01-09 12:12 PM
    i'm not sure why you are complaining, have you seen the TMo rates? They pay 5-6$ and then have to pay a deductable up to 130 for each device
    and i believe all the BB's are in the 100+ deductable range.
    02-01-09 12:16 PM
    you get 3 insurance claims a year with sprint now and i had reps tell me to file a insurance claim if the phone was damaged because of me, especially if it was damaged with unholy water
    02-01-09 12:16 PM
    First of all to those of you with the sprint insurance... my girlfriend mom has an insurance plan that is like 10 or 15 a month, w/ unlimited claims and no deductible... she can just take her phone to the store and get a new one... I don't know if she is lying, or maybe she is mistaking insurance for a warranty.
    I guess she easily could be mistaken... because i've never heard anything like that, i'll have to ask her about it

People pulling stunts like the one this poster has described is one of the
    major reasons why our hardware continues to skyrocket in price.

Did it ever occur to you to TAKE CARE of your phone? I've carried a lot of cell phones, PDAs, and Blackberries since 1998 and I can truthfully say I've never lost one OR needed to call upon my carrier's insurance. (And yes, I do pay for the insurance - just in case.)

How many "replacements" per year would be an acceptable number to you?

This person sounds like the boy who cried 'wolf', and then got upset when the townspeople no longer listened.
    Well i'm glad you are such a perfect person and so much better than the rest of us... I take care of my phones, but for me it is only a matter of time before i accidentally drop it, or it gets stolen, or lost. I'm just not organized enough and too clumsy to keep something that I use constantly in good condition. How am i anything like the boy who cried wolf? That is probably the worst comparison you could have made right there... I'm still trying to figure out where the **** you got that from

Comparing it to a car... most car insurance have developed alot of new things such as Accident forgiveness and such through competition.
    It seem to me that Assurion has a monopoly over cell phone insurance ... there is absolutely no reason to limit it to 2 phones per year with 50 dollar deductibles. I could understand one or the other. A phone is a thing that is A LOT easier to damage than a car...(i'm not required to signal and make sure the lane to my pocket is clear before inserting my 500 dollar blackberry into my pocket)

It just sucks, for a college student such as myself who doesn't have an extra 50 dollars to replace a broken phone when i use my bberry to do so much... And i'm really glad to hear that they do sometimes wave the fee that would be wonderful.

I would much rather pay 50 than 500 don't get me wrong... but i don't pay any kind of deductible to get my car fixed the insurance covers it
    02-01-09 01:11 PM
    As with most insurances the more you play for the plan the less deductable and this might affect the amount of clains you get as well.

With VZW you only pay 4.99 or 5.99 which for the extra dollar you get the extended MFG warr. If you cant hang on to a phone in the first place with the abilitity of two claims, then maybe.... well I wont say or suffer a rath I am sure.

Just a thought here. I have NEVER made a claim myself, not has the wife. Now for the kid I keep insurnace on hos phone as he manages to break or get it stolen and has expensive PDA's. NOw he also manages to break or get it stolen when is avail for upgrade, hmm might have to look into this more
    02-01-09 01:55 PM
    I have had insurance for 10 years and I also have never had to use it but yes I still do pay for it. The only gripe that I have is that if you do a claim for a lost or stolen phone, that old phone still works as long as its not deactivated. It should be instantly shut off as soon as the replacement is sent.

I say this because I went to sell my phone last week (so I could buy my current BB) and the person who bought it said it was reported as lost or stolen. That is impossible is because I just bought the phone in September. Long story short I guess the little authorized dealer place that I bought it from used my insurance to file a claim and get a brand new phone for $50. All you need to file a claim is name, address, and mobile number. I think that's horse crap.
    02-01-09 02:01 PM
    All you need to do is call VZW and report it lost/stolen. That will shut the phone down right then and there. When you get your replacement, then you can activate it and the other phone stays on the lost or stolen list and cannot be activated.
    02-01-09 02:03 PM
    As I've mentioned before, for me cellphone insurance, like extended warranties, are for fools and/or klutzes.

If I were looking at a plasma screen TV, I might consider it - otherwise, no.

Many of the plans won't even promise an exact phone. The fine print tells us that any cell phone may be sent to you. Most people don't read the fine print, nor do they understand it half the time they do read it.

The carriers receive somewhere between 40-60% of the premium, yet have zero control over the plan. You can complain all you want to the carrier, yet get nowhere. Even with the sizeable commission paid to the carriers, the insurance companies are raking in the cash & make a good profit.

No, I do not have inside knowledge on phone insurance deals - I am using info available from public sites, which is actually conservative compared to extended warranties, which I do have experience with.

A good (short) article on the subject can be found below. It too mentions klutzes.

Top 10 reasons not to insure your cell phone (Page 1 of 2)

02-01-09 02:57 PM
    I only had the insurance for this last contract with Verizon, and although I used both of my yearly replacements, it saved my bacon twice. I do take care of my phones, but sometimes damage is unavoidable. Both replacements were due to incidents at work, one involving a phone getting soaked and staying that way for a few hours, and one involving the phone getting run over by a car. Both could probably have been prevented, but that last thing I was thinking about at the time was my phone LOL.
    02-01-09 03:31 PM
    THen the insurance paidoff for you. There will always be times of bad streaks and I hope you never need it again
    02-01-09 03:50 PM
    at the end of ur contract, if nothing happens to ur phone, u will have paid for the phone twice with the amount u have to pay in insurance so its not even close to worth it. Then if something does happen and u need a replacement, then u have to pay $50??? That is crazy! In an age where a VIP can wait a year, get a phone at a 2 year rate (most of the time with the phone costing less than $100 bucks), and then get $50 off that same phone, $100 off every 2 years, that insurance deductable is a little outdated if u ask me!
    02-01-09 03:55 PM
    They won't even give you the option.

As a sales rep, I usually suggest insurance on the high end products...and Blackberry's qualify.

If you don't want it, don't get it.
    02-01-09 03:55 PM
    alltel is a bigger ripoff! Its a $100 deductible on phones even if its a cheaper phone you didn't pay that much for to begin with!
    02-01-09 10:07 PM
    I never carried insurance until I got my curve. I decided to get it and water logged my berry 2 months after I got it.

Had zero problems with the claim.

02-02-09 12:25 AM
    i'm not sure why you are complaining, have you seen the TMo rates? They pay 5-6$ and then have to pay a deductable up to 130 for each device
    and i believe all the BB's are in the 100+ deductable range.
    Yea it kinda sucks. The Curve 8900 has a 130 dollar deductible =(
    02-02-09 07:59 AM
85 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD