I've got a quick question about Verizon's phone insurance. I have experience with their insurance, being on my third piece-of-**** XV6900 (HTC Touch).

If I were to purchase a new BB Storm at Best Buy, eBay, etc, would I be able to take it in to Verizon for activation and add insurance? I'm not eligible for an upgrade for quite some time, and I can save some $$$ using other outlets for purchasing this phone.

And as far as eBay goes, I've purchased phones before without any problems and know about obtaining a clean ESN etc.

I'm not currently a BB owner, but I will be soon. I've seen the light!
    02-11-09 02:34 PM
    If purcahsed from best buy, yes you can insure it. Ebay or other third party, no way
    02-11-09 05:01 PM
    I've got a quick question about Verizon's phone insurance. I have experience with their insurance, being on my third piece-of-**** XV6900 (HTC Touch).

If I were to purchase a new BB Storm at Best Buy, eBay, etc, would I be able to take it in to Verizon for activation and add insurance? I'm not eligible for an upgrade for quite some time, and I can save some $$$ using other outlets for purchasing this phone.

And as far as eBay goes, I've purchased phones before without any problems and know about obtaining a clean ESN etc.

are you on your 3rd because of warranty reasons? or 3rd because of abuse or damage?
    02-11-09 05:03 PM
    I'm on my third XV6900 for warranty reasons. I never dropped or mishandled the first two units, which were kept in a clear hard-case. The first time the screen went bad, the tech staff at my local Verizon store couldn't even retrieve my contacts, files, etc. The second time, I had everything backed up. The screen went bad in such a way that it basically thought something was constantly pressing the screen, preventing any navigation. The screen isn't very big, so 9 times out of 10 I was using the stylus for emails, texts, etc. I was given a new phone on the spot both times I brought my bricked phones in.

I've come to the conclusion that the mushy, soft-style LCD screens used by HTC are prone to rupturing internally, kind of like an old calculator LCD screen going bad.

My employer finally supports BB for our exchange server, so I'm quite interested in getting away from Verizon's crappy WinMo devices.
    Last edited by cbales; 02-11-09 at 06:53 PM.
    02-11-09 06:50 PM
    Excellent choice to make the move if this works for you. I would not plan on Insutrance putting you into a Blacberry though. Insurance will replace a device for a like device, or another determined by the insurance co. if it is not avail anymore.
    02-11-09 06:57 PM
    Oh, definitely. I'm not under any delusion that Asurion would move me into a new BB device. I was just curious as to whether or not I could insure a brand new device, in my case a BB, that was purchased from a third-party vendor.
    02-11-09 07:13 PM
    Tes just to clarify though. Third party maning private part, ebay, craigs list, no. Best Buy or VZW indrect seller, yes
    02-11-09 07:42 PM
    Dunno of any carrier that will allow an imported device from a 3rd Party source. I don't think they like the competition very much. Sorry

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-11-09 08:50 PM
    Or what you might be able to do is the next time your phone bricks ask to get a different brand. Awhile back I was having problems with a phone (warranty problems) and after the third replacement I had the option of sticking with the same phone or going to a similar one.

02-11-09 08:50 PM
    Dunno of any carrier that will allow an imported device from a 3rd Party source. I don't think they like the competition very much. Sorry

Best Buy sells the Verizon branded Storm. I'm not sure if this is a direct result of Circuit City biting the big one, but they offer phones only or phones with new contracts. Activating the phone with Verizon would be a non-issue, so hopefully they would allow insurance on the new device. Verizon still makes their cut.

I guess that might just be one of those deals where it depends on which service rep you talk to.
    02-11-09 10:23 PM
    Best buy is an indrect seller for vzw. Has nothing to do with circuit city. Yes they will add the insurance.

02-12-09 06:34 AM

Glad to hear that you've left "The Dark Side". Enjoy the addiction that is crackberry!
    02-12-09 06:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD