08-08-08 10:24 PM
53 123
tools
    No. I still have my Pearl. I keep it as a back-up.
    08-07-08 02:56 PM
    And people wonder why it has become so difficult to exchange a phone or get an exception.

So much "make up a reason it's broken" is going on that eventually Verizon will just flat out say tough, talk to the manufacturer.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I'd like you to point out where in this thread it was stated to "make up a reason it's broken."
    08-07-08 02:57 PM
    And people wonder why it has become so difficult to exchange a phone or get an exception.

So much "make up a reason it's broken" is going on that eventually Verizon will just flat out say tough, talk to the manufacturer.

The phone I have currently is truly broken and they are sending an 8830 replacement so that's taken care of. There is no "make up a reason it's broken" going on here.
    08-07-08 03:07 PM
    I called and ran out of things to say :P . I have an unused line on my account that is eligible for an upgrade so they just keep suggesting that I upgrade that line and move the phone to the other line. I'll have to cancel that line and try again. According to the supervisor I talked to, it's company policy that they can only give the 2 yr price when you're eligible for the upgrade. I even told them I had a "friend" that was able to get the 2 year price months after upgrading... response was that their account must have had different circumstances. I'm about ready to give up on this. No one will give in to the 2 yr price.
    Last edited by thenoob; 08-07-08 at 03:45 PM.
    08-07-08 03:41 PM
    When I called to cancel the unused line, I finally got someone willing to actually check into it for me. She even got tech support involved to help support my case with the memory and is going to call back when she gets an answer. I'd say that's definitely progress from the definite no's I was getting before.
    08-07-08 04:41 PM
    See? Keep at it!
    08-07-08 04:42 PM
    More like I'm getting a new phone anyways, why not get the phone I want which happens to be a less expensive model?
    Yeah, but if someone wants to "downgrade", they should give them a discount or something similar.
    08-07-08 06:28 PM
    why should verizon give a discount?
    08-07-08 06:49 PM
    why should verizon give a discount?
    To keep a good customer that is spending around $400/mo with them from switching carriers because the customer wants to "downgrade" their phone or trade it for a similar model. If Verizon doesn't care about keeping a customer, then I suppose there's no reason to give a discount. What does a phone cost to them anyways? I bet even if I pay the discounted 2 year price, they're still making a profit off the phone!
    Last edited by thenoob; 08-07-08 at 07:28 PM.
    08-07-08 07:24 PM
    To keep a good customer that is spending around $400/mo with them from switching carriers because the customer wants to "downgrade" their phone or trade it for a similar model. If Verizon doesn't care about keeping a customer, then I suppose there's no reason to give a discount. What does a phone cost to them anyways? I bet even if I pay the discounted 2 year price, they're still making a profit off the phone!
    the company is already offering alternative solutions to the problem at hand. the issue is that the consumer doesnt want any of those options, and wants more.

edit: verizon makes very little profit off the phone itself, if any. hence why sales reps dont make any comission off the handset.
    08-07-08 07:31 PM
    the company is already offering alternative solutions to the problem at hand. the issue is that the consumer doesnt want any of those options, and wants more.

edit: verizon makes very little profit off the phone itself, if any. hence why sales reps dont make any comission off the handset.
    To which "alternative soluions" are you referring? The 20%?

Seriously, it's not that much to ask for the 2 year price. I have been with them for almost 5 years and never complained about anything. Plus, if they are willing to do something like this for a good customer, don't you think that makes them stand out from the rest? They are in no way obligated to give me the discount, but if they do, thats +1 for them and when it comes time to renew my contract, I won't have to think twice.
    08-07-08 07:41 PM
    The first guy offered 1 yr pricing, but no one else would. The $219 was with a rebate. Everyone else said I could get it at retail price which was something crazy like $419. The supervisor offered a 20% discount from retail, but still that's an amount I wouldn't be willing to pay.

I have no idea how you got it for $149 because that certainly is not retail price.
    theres 2 alternative solutions

1 yr pricing, 20% off the retail pricing.

again, these are both exceptions to the guidelines and procedures that the company has laid out. but you seem to want more than that.
    08-07-08 07:46 PM
    I don't know, but my 8830 is in great condition and the retail is much more than that of a curve. So I, as a consumer, believe I should be able to exchange it for a cheaper model, or at least get a small discount.
    08-07-08 07:57 PM
    theres 2 alternative solutions

1 yr pricing, 20% off the retail pricing.

again, these are both exceptions to the guidelines and procedures that the company has laid out. but you seem to want more than that.
    I have to assume the guy that said I could get one year pricing didn't know what he was talking about because no one else has offered that. The 20% off doesn't help me too much and others here have successfully gotten the 2 year pricing. If this lady says no, I give up but it was worth the try. :P

To be completely honest, if I were them, I probably would just say no. My main problem is that assuming others here really did get lower pricing or a free exchange without contract, they should treat people consistently. Of course, that's rather difficult with such a large company.
    08-07-08 08:03 PM
    I have to assume the guy that said I could get one year pricing didn't know what he was talking about because no one else has offered that. The 20% off doesn't help me too much and others here have successfully gotten the 2 year pricing. If this lady says no, I give up but it was worth the try. :P

To be completely honest, if I were them, I probably would just say no. My main problem is that assuming others here really did get lower pricing or a free exchange without contract, they should treat people consistently. Of course, that's rather difficult with such a large company.
    you said it yourself, should have just said no. however the rep decided to work with you and in essence meet you halfway on a solution. take the 1 yr pricing and go with it lol.
    08-07-08 08:59 PM
    I don't know, but my 8830 is in great condition and the retail is much more than that of a curve. So I, as a consumer, believe I should be able to exchange it for a cheaper model, or at least get a small discount.
    so lets use an analogy. say you're in a lease for a 20,000 car. show me a dealership that'll allow you to trade in your now used car because you dont want it for one of lesser value or give you a discount on one?
    08-07-08 09:01 PM
    so lets use an analogy. say you're in a lease for a 20,000 car. show me a dealership that'll allow you to trade in your now used car because you dont want it for one of lesser value or give you a discount on one?
    Yeah. But this isn't cars we're dealing with here. Also, my 30-day return period just expired while I was on vacation (for the whole month of july). So I couldn't have exchanged it, so I hope they can be understanding about that..
    08-07-08 09:13 PM
    Yeah. But this isn't cars we're dealing with here. Also, my 30-day return period just expired while I was on vacation (for the whole month of july). So I couldn't have exchanged it, so I hope they can be understanding about that..
    its the principal, not the item itself.

if you ask nicely and make them aware of the 30 day policy they might let you. the fastest way to NOT be allowed to is to start telling them how other people get xxx and what not.
    08-07-08 09:16 PM
    the fastest way to NOT be allowed to is to start telling them how other people get xxx and what not.
    That was what got the lady to check into it, but she hasn't called me back and I'm pretty sure they're closed now. It seems to me that if you tell them someone else was able to get it, it makes them aware that you know it can be done. Either way, I don't expect to get a curve anytime soon. Maybe I'll just wait and pay full for the thunder when that comes out.
    08-07-08 09:55 PM
    You can always add an additional line to get the curve at the discounted price

08-07-08 10:08 PM
    just go into the store and explain what happend and let themknow that you want to downgrade ....aswell the curve is cheaper now anyway ....
    and just hope for the best
    08-08-08 12:23 AM
    You can always add an additional line to get the curve at the discounted price

Yeah but that would be an extra unused line for 2 years. That's $240 + $100 (2 year price) comes out to $340. But hey, if I were going to pay retail that wouldn't be such a bad deal.

The cheapest option would be to simply cancel the 1 line for $150 and take advantage of the offer at Amazon.com. $150 + 0.01 = $150.01 to switch to a curve. If I were desperate enough, I would go ahead an do that. Personally though, I haven't had as good of coverage with at&t in the past as I have had with Verizon.
    08-08-08 01:30 AM
    AT&T is trying to unlad alot of curves as well with their .01 pricing...interesting
    08-08-08 06:16 AM
    if I were the original poster I guess I would switch as well. if its the curve you really want...
    08-08-08 06:18 AM
    AT&T is trying to unlad alot of curves as well with their .01 pricing...interesting
    I think if you want that offer you have to go through amazon.
    08-08-08 01:38 PM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD