08-08-08 09:24 PM
53 123
tools
    Well my 8830 decided to go for a swim with me and now has water damage. Yes, it functions, but the vibrator is weaker now and I've noticed a few other problems. I did purchase the Asurion insurance for the phone, and liquid damage appears to be covered.

I'm assuming they'll just swap out the phone when I tell them it was completely submerged, but does anyone know if they'll let me "downgrade" to the curve instead of getting a new 8830? I'd rather have the Curve but I don't want to sound like I intentionally broke my 8830 so I could get a Curve. :-\
    Last edited by thenoob; 08-07-08 at 12:24 AM.
    08-07-08 12:21 AM
    working for vzw im gonna say probably not

but it doesnt hurt to ask =)
    08-07-08 12:29 AM
    Since the curve is cheaper and is considered a "downgrade", could I take my 8830 in and exchange it? I'm passed the thirty days, but could it be done with some haggling?
    08-07-08 12:49 AM
    Since the curve is cheaper and is considered a "downgrade", could I take my 8830 in and exchange it? I'm passed the thirty days, but could it be done with some haggling?
    Was just waiting for a response like this...

The curve wasn't out with VZW when I got mine. It's not that big of a deal, but if they're going to send a new one anyways and I'd prefer a cheaper model... I guess I'll call and see what they say. I do understand why they wouldn't do something like this with the fear that people will purposely break their phones.
    Last edited by thenoob; 08-07-08 at 02:45 AM.
    08-07-08 01:57 AM
    Here is an idea, get the replacement, sell the replacement (since it will be brand new) and then buy what you want.

just an idea
    08-07-08 06:00 AM
    I don't think they'll exchange it. Your claim will be with the insurance co., not verizon.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-07-08 06:23 AM
    Here is an idea, get the replacement, sell the replacement (since it will be brand new) and then buy what you want.

just an idea
    Actually I think they send a refurbished phone and not a brand new one.

08-07-08 06:31 AM
    dont look at the 2 yr price of the phones

look at the retail pricing.

that determines whether or not one is "cheaper" than the other

but if you're nice enough, they might let you exchange it once for the curve.
    08-07-08 10:13 AM
    I doubt that they will send you a different phone, cheaper or not, but the worst they can say is no. Go ahead and give it a shot.
    08-07-08 10:30 AM
    Yeah, my 8830 isn't ruined or anything... I just want a curve now =P

oh well, I suppose it's worth a shot.
    08-07-08 10:36 AM
    Since the phone is still functional, I'm trying a different approach as mentioned in another thread in this forum. http://forums.crackberry.com/f71/tha...ustomer-58515/

When I called, the guy said the best he could do is give me 1 year pricing which was $219 including rebate. I'm waiting for his supervisor to call back to see if I can at least get 2 yr pricing.
    08-07-08 11:42 AM
    Wait - you are about to pay $219 for a Curve, when they are $99 right now??
    08-07-08 11:55 AM
    Wait - you are about to pay $219 for a Curve, when they are $99 right now??
    Umm.. $99 is the 2 yr contract price.
    08-07-08 11:56 AM
    it use to work for sprint all the time...**i remember those days**
    08-07-08 11:57 AM
    I didn't have any luck so I'm just getting another 8830. Oh well...

Yeah, my 8830 isn't ruined or anything... I just want a curve now =P
    More like I'm getting a new phone anyways, why not get the phone I want which happens to be a less expensive model?

just an idea
    That would look quite suspicious, no?
    Last edited by thenoob; 08-07-08 at 12:52 PM.
    08-07-08 12:36 PM
    So that's why sprint can't even fold their money in half to turn a profit..... Worst business practices ever

08-07-08 12:44 PM

just an idea

Even though it will most likely be refurbished...sell it on Ebay, it won't be scratched and won't be used...

Then take the money you get from selling it, buy the curve and pocket the rest...

OR BETTER YET!! Wait for the Bold to come out and get a pimp *** BlackBerry!!

08-07-08 12:55 PM
    Umm.. $99 is the 2 yr contract price.
    Umm.. I get that. But I could have sworn that I read in a previous post that you were going to get a 1 year price. Correct me if I am wrong...... So how does it shoot up to $219? A hundred dollars per year? Pfft. I got my Curve for $149 out of contract with no eligibility for an upgrade.
    08-07-08 01:03 PM
    I hope that works out for you
    08-07-08 01:18 PM
    Umm.. I get that. But I could have sworn that I read in a previous post that you were going to get a 1 year price. Correct me if I am wrong...... So how does it shoot up to $219? A hundred dollars per year? Pfft. I got my Curve for $149 out of contract with no eligibility for an upgrade.
    The first guy offered 1 yr pricing, but no one else would. The $219 was with a rebate. Everyone else said I could get it at retail price which was something crazy like $419. The supervisor offered a 20% discount from retail, but still that's an amount I wouldn't be willing to pay.

I have no idea how you got it for $149 because that certainly is not retail price.
    08-07-08 01:19 PM
    I understand that $149 isn't retail price. Trust me, I am well aware of it.

When I purchased my Curve, I brought my Pearl in and just kept on pressing the issue of how terrible the memoury leak was, and that it was affecting my job, as I use my device primarily for business. The rep wasn't a Blackberry owner, and obviously the thought of a memoury leak frightened him, and he buckled and gave me the 2-year contract price, which was at that time $149.

The 8830 also has 64MB of memoury onboard.. I would also drive this point home if I were you, honestly. The more reasons you give them to support your case, the better off you will be. This has at least been my experience. I was not trying to be condescending, I was simply saying that if I were you, I would not pay $219 for the Curve.
    08-07-08 01:23 PM
    The 8830 also has 64MB of memoury onboard.. I would also drive this point home if I were you, honestly. The more reasons you give them to support your case, the better off you will be. This has at least been my experience. I was not trying to be condescending, I was simply saying that if I were you, I would not pay $219 for the Curve.
    I suppose with almost 3000 posts on this forum, I should have known you were well aware that $149 is not retail price.

I tried pretty hard. I did in fact use the memory issue, but their response was that there was nothing they could do since I am out of the 30 day window. Apparently I've had the phone since Feb., so maybe they only make the exception for people that have had it less than 6 months? The reps were basically saying "ok, thats the best I can do" as a response to every reason I gave. Go figure.

Should I just drive them with something to the effect of "I know you can do better than that?" Maybe I just don't have enough experience handling CSRs.
    Last edited by thenoob; 08-07-08 at 01:40 PM.
    08-07-08 01:29 PM
    I suppose with almost 3000 posts on this forum, I should have known you were well aware that $149 is not retail price.

I tried pretty hard. I did in fact use the memory issue, but their response was that there was nothing they could do since I am out of the 30 day window. Apparently I've had the phone since Feb., so maybe they only make the exception for people that have had it less than 6 months? The reps were basically saying "ok, thats the best I can do" as a response to every reason I gave. Go figure.
    All reps will tell you that line.... Seriously, escalate to a supervisor and don't give up. You will know when the time comes that you have exausted all of your options.

And yes, do call them out and tell them that they can do better than that, and make sure you point out specific prices... IE the $149, the $99, etc. I cannot guarantee this, but it has always worked for me.
    08-07-08 01:40 PM
    All reps will tell you that line.... Seriously, escalate to a supervisor and don't give up. You will know when the time comes that you have exausted all of your options.

And yes, do call them out and tell them that they can do better than that, and make sure you point out specific prices... IE the $149, the $99, etc. I cannot guarantee this, but it has always worked for me.
    Did you have to send them your old phone?
    08-07-08 01:49 PM
    And people wonder why it has become so difficult to exchange a phone or get an exception.

So much "make up a reason it's broken" is going on that eventually Verizon will just flat out say tough, talk to the manufacturer.

08-07-08 01:56 PM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD