07-15-08 08:42 PM
26 12
tools
    Okay so about a week or so ago I did the what could be called one of the most stupid things I've ever done in my life: left my phone on top of my car and drove away. I eventually found it on the side of the road about an hour later in its different pieces (the phone, battery, back cover, etc.) and when I put it back together, miracle of miracles, it still worked. It runs perfectly, but it took quite a beating being rocketed from the top of my car to the cement road. The screen is cracked in two places, the back cover sticks out slightly on one side, and the phone is covered in scratches. My BB was in perfect condition before this (I'm really OCD about my phone). Will the insurance cover cosmetic damage? Do I have to lie and say that something is wrong with the phone? Several people who work for cell phone companies told me to tell them I lost it, but I don't want to be without a phone for several days. I don't mind paying anything as long as it's not the price of another phone.
    Help?!
    07-11-08 11:48 AM
    Okay so about a week or so ago I did the what could be called one of the most stupid things I've ever done in my life: left my phone on top of my car and drove away. I eventually found it on the side of the road about an hour later in its different pieces (the phone, battery, back cover, etc.) and when I put it back together, miracle of miracles, it still worked. It runs perfectly, but it took quite a beating being rocketed from the top of my car to the cement road. The screen is cracked in two places, the back cover sticks out slightly on one side, and the phone is covered in scratches. My BB was in perfect condition before this (I'm really OCD about my phone). Will the insurance cover cosmetic damage? Do I have to lie and say that something is wrong with the phone? Several people who work for cell phone companies told me to tell them I lost it, but I don't want to be without a phone for several days. I don't mind paying anything as long as it's not the price of another phone.
    Help?!
    Just call them and say some of the keys popped out and cracked as well and they will send you a new one. When you send yours back, just pop out a key our 2 and you should be good to go. They send you a replacement before you send your back so you won't be without one. I had mine replaced when i dropped my phone between by car seat and the buttons got smashed and some came off because of the power seat. They replaced no problem.
    07-11-08 11:56 AM
    The insurance not to be mistaken with the manufacturer's warrenty will cover anything. It's a $50 deductable nd they'll send you a new one.

Call 1-888-881-2622
    07-11-08 11:57 AM
    Yeah just go with the key excuse one good thing about Verizon is the customer service......that just my thought.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-11-08 12:06 PM
    The insurance not to be mistaken with the manufacturer's warrenty will cover anything. It's a $50 deductable nd they'll send you a new one.

Call 1-888-881-2622
    Right.

If this is attempted through Verizon as a warranty replacement, this person will be billed full retail for the replacement phone.

07-11-08 12:32 PM
    any luck with this?

be advised... if you do this quite often with the "lost phone" excuse you could potentially lose your insurance.
    07-12-08 10:59 PM
    True, The insurance entitles to two claims a year. At that time the insurnace company will ask to remove the insurance from your phone.
    07-12-08 11:06 PM
    So what is the difference between the manufacturers warranty and the verizon wireless insurance? Do you really need the insurance?
    07-12-08 11:42 PM
    These details should have been in the packet you got with you purchased the phone......

most people don't look or just throw them away...........
    07-12-08 11:52 PM
    Insurance difference:

MFG warr - will cover anything deemed a MFG defect.

Insurance - covers loss, theft, and physical damage.
    07-13-08 07:37 AM
    Although with insurance, is it new phone or factory refurb your getting?
    Refurbished hardware liable to have their own set of problems.

07-13-08 03:52 PM
    If they have refurbs that's what they'll send. Otherwise it's a new one.

07-13-08 04:03 PM
    usually with Verizon they send you a brand new one in the box? I've had over 10 customers claim insurance through Assurion and they all got new one's, hopefully you'll get one also.
    07-13-08 04:08 PM
    So what is the difference between the manufacturers warranty and the verizon wireless insurance? Do you really need the insurance?
    Insurance is not thru Verizon, they just bill you for it, its actually thru a company called asurion, and the difference in the two is:

Manufacturers warranty covers issues with the phone that is not caused by the user (buttons not working, no signal, no sound....), and every phone bought by verizon is covered for 1yr...If you have this issue any corporate store with technicians does warranty swaps for a FRU, or refurbished (sometimes new) phone.....

Insurance covers lost, stolen, water damage, broken, chewed by a dog........ it covers any issue user caused..... a lot of the insurance phones sent are refurbished also especially if you have an older model, and if your phone is really old (in that case you should just upgrade) they will send you the next comparable model....insurance is either 4.99/mo or 5.99/mo(extends MFG warranty to 2 years), and a $50 deductable per incident(up to 2 a year)

alot of people say insurance is a rip-off but it sure beats paying full retail!
    07-13-08 04:19 PM
    About two days after I got my brand spankin new 8130 Pearl, I was walking around in my driveway with my girlfriend and I had my BB in my hand. I had it in the black leather case that came with it and I guess I was using my arms to express emotion cause next thing I know I see my Pearl, in slow motion, fly out of the sleeve, smack into the concrete about twenty feet away and skid for another ten. I immediately became depressed. I couldn't fathom that I could do something to hurt my BB like that.

So anyways I was really pissed about all the scratches on my BB and went into the Verizon store and told them that one of their employees at another store had dropped my phone and scuffed it up. Lol they lady was outraged at that and send me a new BB for $50. It was pretty sweet!
    07-13-08 04:59 PM
    Insurance is not thru Verizon, they just bill you for it, its actually thru a company called asurion, and the difference in the two is:

Manufacturers warranty covers issues with the phone that is not caused by the user (buttons not working, no signal, no sound....), and every phone bought by verizon is covered for 1yr...If you have this issue any corporate store with technicians does warranty swaps for a FRU, or refurbished (sometimes new) phone.....
    Just a update please, In my experience not many VZW stores that I have come across stock advanced devices (BB's or PDA's) for replacement. They will have you call tech support and they will fedex one out to you. Store will stock regular type of phones for replacement though.

Since the word "FRU" was used, this actually a term used by at least VZW and stands for Field Replacement Unit.
    07-13-08 05:54 PM
    The insurance is a great thing, but I do hear a lot of people saying that they only send you a refurbished phone not a fresh untouched phone. That sucks compared to what you had to pay to get the phone in the first place.
    07-13-08 06:05 PM
    Insurance IS a ripoff. I probably sound like a broken record in all these threads, but the idea of insurance started many many years ago (The Romans were the first to have it on shipping their wares to the marketplace). I assure you, insurance companies are there to make money off of you any way they can--otherwise they would not be in business.
    They aren't a not for profit or anything looking to help out the less fortunate. They're there to squeeze you for whatever they can and make their bottom line.

I worked at Circuit City for all of a month. They DRILLED in our brains to sell, sell, sell the insurance on EVERYTHING we could. Guess why?
    07-13-08 06:05 PM
    Just a update please, In my experience not many VZW stores that I have come across stock advanced devices (BB's or PDA's) for replacement. They will have you call tech support and they will fedex one out to you. Store will stock regular type of phones for replacement though.

Since the word "FRU" was used, this actually a term used by at least VZW and stands for Field Replacement Unit.
    I'm a Customer care rep at a verizon corporate store and we carry fru data devices, if we don't have any in stock most time we jus give them a new one if we have enough to spare

07-13-08 06:49 PM
    I'm a Customer care rep at a verizon corporate store and we carry fru data devices, if we don't have any in stock most time we jus give them a new one if we have enough to spare

That is great, like I said not many stores cannot do this. I am happy to hear this happens. Cuts down on calls coming into us. Thanks for being part of the team.

I know great strides are being taken to get more stores on board. As this proactive step makes a better experience for the VZW customer and gets them back up running faster.
    07-13-08 07:04 PM
    I Agree I'm suprised it varies so much store to store : /

07-13-08 07:12 PM
    I've had to use assurian about 4 times thru Verizon and each time I got brand new phones. You could get phone replaced thru them for almost anything. I have 5 phones thru them and the insurance is seperate from the Verizon store.
    07-13-08 07:56 PM
    Ill add my 2 cents...... I've had like ...... 4 or 5 phone replacements in the last 2 years.... The first two times I got new phones.... The next 3 were refurbished. But if you get a refurbish and something goes wrong within the first year ie vibrate doesn't work, speaker messes up, battery doesn't last as long as it should, then asurion will replace the refurb for free...... Also it seems like the more I've used insurance the more hoops they make me jump through! First 3 times I called told them what happened and gave them the credit card #, both times after that they sent me forms I had to fill out and I had to send a photo copy of my id to them...... Pain in the *** if you don't have access to a fax machine. I think insurance is great too.... Whenever your phone gets worn out.... Send it in and pay the 50, way better then 300 or more! Haha I think this is a little more then 2 cents

07-13-08 11:22 PM
    I had insurance on my line, great thing was it covered whatever phone is activated at the time, even my ebay bought 8703e. Dropped it on the concrete, cracked the screen and they sent me a new one for the $50 deductible.
    07-14-08 09:03 AM
    Be honest! They will know as soon as they see it!
    07-14-08 09:34 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD