I've been with Verizon since last November when I got my Storm 2. I live in the sticks and have to drive an hour to work each day. I always encounter 3 dead zones in the exact same place on the turnpike every time I make the drive. Today, for the first time ever, I didn't drop my call at all. Also, after making it home, I was watching video on youtube, which played almost instantly, was crystal clear, and didn't stop a single time for "buffering". I live in Oklahoma if that makes any difference.

Has anybody else experienced a recent improvement in service/reception?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-28-10 07:29 PM
    It's possible because Verizon is constantly testing and improving their network nationwide.
    08-28-10 11:42 PM
    Verizon may have added a cell tower or two. My neighborhood constantly had awful cell reception- maybe 1-2 bars max. One day I suddenly had 5 bars and perfect data. A month later I receive a Tweet from Verizon stating that they had added another tower at the mouth of the Columbia River where I live. I was stoked, yay Verizon! This was back in June.
    Last edited by cenloe; 08-28-10 at 11:53 PM.
    08-28-10 11:50 PM
    Possible. If I remember correctly, Verizon spends more money every year than any other carrier to maintain and expand the network.
    08-29-10 10:09 AM
    Possible. If I remember correctly, Verizon spends more money every year than any other carrier to maintain and expand the network.
    Yes, thats correct. VZW adding a tower in a problem area isnt out of the ordinary.
    08-29-10 11:37 AM
    You could always call and ask. They may provide you with some useful information.
    08-29-10 05:09 PM
    That's great, good for you.

I myself have suffered with worse coverage. Areas my alltel 8330 worked my VZW 9650 will not. Consider yourself lucky. I have enjoyed poor reception since being forced out of my old equipment and plan since the merger from ****.
    08-30-10 09:48 PM
    Mine has been a lot better for the past few days as well. Something defintely changed.
    08-30-10 09:56 PM
    That's great, good for you.

I myself have suffered with worse coverage. Areas my alltel 8330 worked my VZW 9650 will not. Consider yourself lucky. I have enjoyed poor reception since being forced out of my old equipment and plan since the merger from ****.
    How did you get forced out of your plan? Should have never happened. Also, VZW has developed some hybrid PRLs in an attempt to effectively deal with your exact situation. Call CS as there might be a different PRL that will improve your signal quality. It can be pushed to your device almost instantly. I am no fan of VZW as a company but I have received great service from CS.
    08-31-10 08:24 AM
    Around here they'd add more towers if it weren't for a whole lot of NIMBY opposition. Folk who want great reception everywhere but don't want towers anywhere, you know...
    08-31-10 11:06 AM
    If customers email Verizon from their online account and let Verizon know their coverage concerns, they will listen. Have consistency with your issues. If you know exact location ie: freeway stretch......make sure you give the post number too Just saying blah blah isn't going to do it. They need specifics.
    And towers can be put up creatively as well. In Carefree, a tower was hidden in a fake cactus that was built for it. No one knows the difference !
    08-31-10 02:17 PM
    I've noticed that my coverage at home has improved recently. I never had dropped calls, but I used to sit at 2-3 bars and it fluctuated quite a bit. I sit at full signal now with minimal signal fluctuation.
    09-06-10 04:27 PM
    Mine has actually gotten worse the last couple weeks, to the point where they sent me a replacement and it's doing the same thing, going to look into it further soon
    09-06-10 07:46 PM
    Mine suddenly improved as well. A couple of weeks ago my phone wasn't able to determine location from nearby cell towers to tag Twitter and play Foursquare. Now suddenly it can again, and my browser seems much faster.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-10-10 09:24 PM
    I just received a flier in the mail today indicating that they have added a few towers in my general area to increase reception!
    09-23-10 08:08 PM
    This is the main reason I stick with VZW. They've always had great coverage for me in most places I go, but the fact that they keep working toward more and more improvements speaks volumes about their service. It's good to know that they aren't satisfied with just "okay" service, and want to keep their customers happy by making improvements as often as they can.

I know I could get a slightly lower bill with a different carrier, but sometimes you really do get what you pay for. VZW works too well for me to even consider trying another carrier.
    09-24-10 08:56 AM
    I encounter the same issue with dead zones and the fact that after the merger with Alltel I had a sudden suck in coverage where I am at.

Turns out that they shut off a bunch of the alltel towers. However they integrated them into the network which caused a problem with towers handing off calls wrong or inefficiently. So they have been turning on Alltel towers and working on the directional controls. I still have some issues in my house but it is much better.
    09-25-10 06:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD