10-15-08 09:26 PM
58 123
tools
    Another reason why I would NEVER be a subscriber to this network. The most covereage but also the most expensive.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    You get what pay for. VZW never said they were the cheapest
    10-11-08 04:38 PM
    Thank you lastraid.

10-11-08 04:40 PM
    So what is the next logical step here? You can only get to websites on you blackberry that pay Verizon for the right to use there data network? This is ludicrous, I already pay Verizon to be able to receive messages. So in the future can we expect them to charge Google every time I hit their website from my blackberry because Google is using the bandwidth as well? People are missing the bigger picture.
    10-11-08 06:44 PM
    this is a myth
    i called them and they said if u are ever charged and u have unlimited text to call and they will fix it
    10-11-08 07:15 PM
    We as Verizon customers are not going to be the one's being charged. It is espn, paypal etc.

10-11-08 07:21 PM
    We as Verizon customers are not going to be the one's being charged. It is espn, paypal etc.

Yes, i think a lot of people are misinterpreting the article!

Oh no! The sky is falling! Mass hysteria!

i gladly pay more fore VZW for the coverage, phone internet speed, customer service and features.

i'm not upset because i subscribe BY CHOICE! i have tried 3 other carries.

10-11-08 07:26 PM
    this is a myth
    i called them and they said if u are ever charged and u have unlimited text to call and they will fix it
    I don't know about other people misinterpreting, however I understand fully well what this means and I am concerned about the precedent it sets with regards double charging on bandwidth. First SMS, next Data? This is precisely what the geek blogosphere has been warning about with network neutrality issues and exactly why there needs to be regulation. Again missing the bigger picture.

As you pointed out the "unlimited texting" bandwidth has already been bought and paid for.
    10-11-08 07:37 PM
    I don't know about other people misinterpreting, however I understand fully well what this means and I am concerned about the precedent it sets with regards double charging on bandwidth. First SMS, next Data? This is precisely what the geek blogosphere has been warning about with network neutrality issues and exactly why there needs to be regulation. Again missing the bigger picture.

As you pointed out the "unlimited texting" bandwidth has already been bought and paid for.
    And once agan per your own statement. YOU have paid for the right to use the bandwith to text with. The vendors that provide your information have not.
    10-11-08 08:28 PM
    I don't understand why they would charge them (I haven't read the whole thread), but how do these places send text messages without paying for a phone line/service to send them? To me it's like any other person with a cell phone sending a text.
    10-11-08 08:52 PM
    I don't understand why they would charge them (I haven't read the whole thread), but how do these places send text messages without paying for a phone line/service to send them? To me it's like any other person with a cell phone sending a text.
    Great question. I am sure there is a system much lie vtext.com for VZW where you can send an sms from the net to other VZW customers at no charge. Just cannot get a reply. Also from email if you enter your MTN@vtext.com it will go to the phpone as an SMS
    10-11-08 08:56 PM
    . YOU have paid for the right to use the bandwith to text with and be texted with.
    Fixed it for you. Incoming messages are paid for by the customer as well. They are double charging on the same bandwidth usage.
    10-11-08 09:29 PM
    Ah no. You pay for your usage in and out. Not their usage to send it to you.
    10-11-08 09:31 PM
    It's the same bandwidth.
    10-11-08 09:32 PM
    At this point it is not bandwith issue. it is service of SMS that you pay for. You have a plan that is unlim, a set amount, or pay as you use it. They pay nothing therefore they are using the network for free.
    10-11-08 09:39 PM
    Data plan for $30 / month does not include text messaging. I disabled texting and use email exclusively ... screw Verizon for screwing it's customers. Texting is a cash cow - bandwidth requirements are infinitesimal.
    10-11-08 10:38 PM
    I pay a premium for unlimited texting so that I can take advantage of the SMS-based services that Google, various airlines and other services use for timely notification. Those services are currently all free for my use, but if Verizon starts to charge them to send me text messages, those companies will in turn need to recoup their costs by charging the customer.

If I'm going to have to effectively pay for those text messages (due to fees imposed by those vendors/services) regardless of my unlimited texting plan, I'm a lot less likely to use them and will probably adjust my plan accordingly. So in my case, and I suspect others, whatever revenue VZW sees from charging those providers will be offset by reduced usage and potentially a reduction in SMS plan. I may be an exception, but I don't see this as a major "win" for Verizon.
    10-12-08 11:22 AM
    It's also our friends and family and co-workers who' aren't on Verizon. and that's my problem with it.
    10-12-08 11:24 AM
    On this we can agree, welcome to the real world Oh yes have a nice day.

I pay a premium for unlimited texting so that I can take advantage of the SMS-based services that Google, various airlines and other services use for timely notification. Those services are currently all free for my use, but if Verizon starts to charge them to send me text messages, those companies will in turn need to recoup their costs by charging the customer.

If I'm going to have to effectively pay for those text messages (due to fees imposed by those vendors/services) regardless of my unlimited texting plan, I'm a lot less likely to use them and will probably adjust my plan accordingly. So in my case, and I suspect others, whatever revenue VZW sees from charging those providers will be offset by reduced usage and potentially a reduction in SMS plan. I may be an exception, but I don't see this as a major "win" for Verizon.
    10-12-08 11:25 AM
    It's also our friends and family and co-workers who' aren't on Verizon. and that's my problem with it.
    It is obvious you did not read the article. This is not for normal texting. This is for companies who don't have cell plans but text you anyway. AND if I read this right, it does not include the not-for-profit organizations. Schools will still be able to text their warnings and closings.

10-12-08 12:24 PM
    There is but one overriding principle at work here, "absolute power corrupts absolutely". Verizon is the bastard son of a dethroned king who will stop at nothing to reclaim what he selfishly and mistakenly sees as his birthright. If we are to reverse the damage done to our economy, all the verizons in the world must be stopped.

High Crimes
    10-12-08 12:52 PM
    There is but one overriding principle at work here, "absolute power corrupts absolutely". Verizon is the bastard son of a dethroned king who will stop at nothing to reclaim what he selfishly and mistakenly sees as his birthright. If we are to reverse the damage done to our economy, all the verizons in the world must be stopped.

High Crimes
    okay. now that you have stated your opinion. Any ideas how you will implement this? Also to let you know that inteh economy right now, VZW is one of the few companies actually hiring.
    10-12-08 12:56 PM
    okay. now that you have stated your opinion. Any ideas how you will implement this? Also to let you know that inteh economy right now, VZW is one of the few companies actually hiring.
    The hiring practices of a company should not be offered as a barometer for that company's contributions to the economy. Not unlike most of your contributions to this thread, they can be used as a diversion that neither addresses the true issue at hand, nor seeks to understand and respond to the concerns of those in opposition. There are many other factors that that will negate the temporary stimulation provided by such practices.
    10-12-08 01:46 PM
    Again there is no such thing as a free service. So that notion means nothing. Somebody is ALWAYS paying for something that YOU "freely" enjoy. When you run your own business you will understand that simple concept.

I have ran several of my own businesses, I run one now. I also under stand that free is free, I mean, it is wasted code, it was thrown away, it was considered by the programmers as useless. and I pay ever month for the ability to use this free crap code that VZ and ever other cell company has for free, they did not pay for the code; I should start charging people when I give them a business card.
    Here is my card, call me when your system goes down, and that will be .003 cents for the business card.
    Next when ever some one calls me from my yellow book ad, I will charge them for dialing my number because I have to pay for yellow book to post my ad in their publication. I am sorry, VZ is charging me to make and receive text messages, why should they double dip. If I sent a client an email that I fixed their problem I do not charge them for the email, and my web hosting does not charge them to read my email.
    Maybe I am not a good business owner, maybe I should stop putting the customer first. I will look into this
    10-12-08 03:20 PM
    that would be usage in
    10-12-08 03:25 PM

High Crimes
    LOL, I laugh every time I read this post.
    10-12-08 03:27 PM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD