10-15-08 08:26 PM
58 123
tools
    Verizon Wireless to charge content vendors 3-cent fee for text messages

"In a move that sets a new and potentially major precedent in the text messaging services market, content and messaging companies are going to have to cough up some dough if they want to deliver their goodies to Verizon Wireless customers.

The nations No. 2 carrier has informed partners that it will add a 3-cent fee for every MT (mobile terminated) message processed on its network beginning Nov. 1. MT messages typically include text alerts, interactive voting notifications and SMS search responses."

Attachment 4976

Source: Wireless - RCR Wireless News
    10-10-08 06:32 AM
    Text alerts I can do without if I have to pay for them. I don't know what interactive voting notifications and SMS search responses are, so I must not use them. If it uses their bandwidth, I don't have a problem with them charging the sender, especially if it cuts down on network congestion.
    10-10-08 10:53 AM
    "Countless companies could be affected by the new fee, from players in the booming SMS-search space (4INFO, Google Inc. and ChaCha) to media companies (CNN, ESPN and local outlets) to mobile-couponing startups (Cellfire) to banks and other institutions that use mobile as an extension of customer services. The new fee could even impact the political arena, where high-profile candidates such as Barack Obama are using text messaging to woo voters and keep supporters informed."

I use ESPN sms alerts for scores. The concern is, these services could no longer be free or available if this catches on. The providers are charging you AND the sender for the same bandwith and service though Jeff.
    10-10-08 10:58 AM
    Same ol' VZW, Gouge were ever possible....
    10-10-08 11:04 AM
    ...The concern is, these services could no longer be free or available if this catches on. The providers are charging you AND the sender for the same bandwith and service though Jeff.
    Yeah, I get that. It doesn't seem that different, though, than charging both you and me for the minutes, if you call my cell phone from your cell phone. That's what all the carriers did, before we all got unlimited minutes plans. Charging for text messages seems regressive in that light.
    10-10-08 11:12 AM
    As long as I do not get charged for something I am fine with it.
    10-10-08 11:54 AM
    They are charging the sender. You need to read. They are using VZW's bandwith they need pay up.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-10-08 12:01 PM
    They are charging the sender. You need to read. They are using VZW's bandwith they need pay up.

Yes but they also charge you for the same message anyway. This double-dipping BS is the reason network neutrality laws need to be inked because ISPs are thinking about doing the same thing.
    10-10-08 06:52 PM
    That is the best thing about a BB, email.
    10-10-08 06:57 PM
    this is all horse crap. any way they can make more money they will.

i think they are holding back 4.5 to make more money by selling the Strom and promoting the HTML email on there and then going to release 4.5 after the Strom's release.
    10-11-08 12:34 AM
    this is all horse crap. any way they can make more money they will.

i think they are holding back 4.5 to make more money by selling the Strom and promoting the HTML email on there and then going to release 4.5 after the Strom's release.
    Please put your business cap on a moment. You run business that provides a methods of data or voice transport. Others have been using your business for years for free. YOU have been absorbing the cost to be the nice guy. more and more people and other businesses use you service to provide a service to others for free.

Now think about it, as a business person, how long do you think you can this with your bottomline being affected? bottomline meaning the ability to make a profit and to feed your family and pay employees that worok for you, etc.

If you think this a good way to run a business, by giving your service away for free, then we will see you in Bankruptcy court, and then on a freeway exit with a sign that says will work for food. Maybe, just maybe one of the employees that use to work for you will be kind and buy a burger for you.
    10-11-08 07:55 AM
    YOU have been absorbing the cost to be the nice guy. more and more people and other businesses use you service to provide a service to others for free.

Now think about it, as a business person, how long do you think you can this with your bottomline being affected? bottomline meaning the ability to make a profit and to feed your family and pay employees that worok for you, etc.

If you think this a good way to run a business, by giving your service away for free, then we will see you in Bankruptcy court, and then on a freeway exit with a sign that says will work for food. Maybe, just maybe one of the employees that use to work for you will be kind and buy a burger for you.
    This is just patently wrong, Verizon already charges the receiver to get such message. It's a network neutrality issue just like the ISP want to start charging content providers, its double-dipping BS.
    10-11-08 11:27 AM
    This is just patently wrong, Verizon already charges the receiver to get such message. It's a network neutrality issue just like the ISP want to start charging content providers, its double-dipping BS.
    Guess at this point, we will agree to disagree.
    10-11-08 11:52 AM
    the way the systems are designed, the text messaging is free to the provider. Verizon has cell towers for their voice and data, the text messaging is free to THEM, it is part of the design of the signal. they have had the abilty to text ever since the towers went up. They have NOT put any extra money, or equipment into their business to give us text messaging, the channel for text messages is just there it is top or bottom part of their celluar signal.
    The fact that they are charging the customer a monthly fee for text messages is 100% TOTAL INCOME, there is NO upkeep cost to The cell company for the text system. They are paying for voice technology and the sms is embedded within that technology.
    There has been dicussion among all of us for a few years now, on when the cell compaines were going to start charging for this free service. They are not losing money in the sense of the word, they are losing PROFITS.
    BUt, what can you
    10-11-08 12:00 PM

I personally would be humiliated if my friends/family were charged $.03 to send me a txt. That's wow maybe if they didn't spend so much on advertising or purchasing a 5th rate wireless carrier. lastraid, I'm going to be calling Verizon today and I hope I don't get you.
    10-11-08 12:01 PM
    the way the systems are designed, the text messaging is free to the provider. Verizon has cell towers for their voice and data, the text messaging is free to THEM, it is part of the design of the signal. they have had the abilty to text ever since the towers went up. They have NOT put any extra money, or equipment into their business to give us text messaging, the channel for text messages is just there it is top or bottom part of their celluar signal.
    The fact that they are charging the customer a monthly fee for text messages is 100% TOTAL INCOME, there is NO upkeep cost to The cell company for the text system. They are paying for voice technology and the sms is embedded within that technology.
    There has been dicussion among all of us for a few years now, on when the cell compaines were going to start charging for this free service. They are not losing money in the sense of the word, they are losing PROFITS.
    BUt, what can you
    what about higher call/text volume, additional towers will be needed, additional costs are added, thats wrong that there is no upkeep, it costs money to maintain/rent those towers it costs money to practically do everything, im not saying that verizon isn't trying to make money off of this, because got knows 3 cents from every text for 50 million users sums up to a lot of money, but there are reasons for doing this which you have no idea and neither do i. im not trying to start beef just stating my opinion
    10-11-08 12:11 PM
    Please put your business cap on a moment. You run business that provides a methods of data or voice transport. Others have been using your business for years for free. YOU have been absorbing the cost to be the nice guy. more and more people and other businesses use you service to provide a service to others for free.

EXCELLENT post.......most people don't understand that business logic. Most are slaves to others success. Again great post................
    10-11-08 01:47 PM
    what about higher call/text volume, additional towers will be needed, additional costs are added, thats wrong that there is no upkeep, it costs money to maintain/rent those towers it costs money to practically do everything, im not saying that verizon isn't trying to make money off of this, because got knows 3 cents from every text for 50 million users sums up to a lot of money, but there are reasons for doing this which you have no idea and neither do i. im not trying to start beef just stating my opinion
    what you are not understanding is that they are updating the towers to remain completive on VOICE, SMS is part of the VOICE programming, if they make any changes to voice or do anything for voice it is affecting SMS FOR FREE, they upgrade the towers for VOICE not SMS.
    10-11-08 02:22 PM
    EXCELLENT post.......most people don't understand that business logic. Most are slaves to others success. Again great post................
    but they are charging for a free service that was given to them by the programmers as wasted space. The SMS is like the left over crap code of the programming and has been free for the provider to use for years, then they started charging,
    So what you are saying is that Rim should be charging us for using BB messanger it is the same concept.

are they going to give that money to the programmers, I would say not.
    10-11-08 02:27 PM
    If it keeps me from getting all the spam texts I am all for it. I don't have unlimited text. Don't want or need it. I don't even use the 250 I pay for. Half of what I do get is spam.

10-11-08 02:44 PM
    Another reason why I would NEVER be a subscriber to this network. The most covereage but also the most expensive.

10-11-08 02:52 PM
    Again there is no such thing as a free service. So that notion means nothing. Somebody is ALWAYS paying for something that YOU "freely" enjoy. When you run your own business you will understand that simple concept.

10-11-08 02:57 PM
    Am I the only one that is happy for Verizon? In our current economy it seems rather smart for a publicly traded (for profit) company to try to increase revenues and profit. I'm a VZW customer and not in the least bit upset by this after several years of sub par service from Sprint and T Mobile.
    10-11-08 03:22 PM
    With the traveling we do, we need the coverage. Actually we are paying less than we did with sprint and AT&T.

10-11-08 03:26 PM
    If it keeps me from getting all the spam texts I am all for it. I don't have unlimited text. Don't want or need it. I don't even use the 250 I pay for. Half of what I do get is spam.

GO to www.vtext.com From there you will be able to block sms from email addresses and also domains. This should help you out a bit.
    10-11-08 03:37 PM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD