06-10-09 08:51 AM
30 12
tools
    Old statement holds true...
    Only time will tell..
    You are right, the new protocol has yet to be ratified.. the only advantage to WiMAX is MIMO...
    But it isn't a WiMAX advantage - both two & four transmitter MIMO is in the works for LTE. MIMO is really a necessity for handling the increased bandwidth needed for LTE.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-09-09 04:48 PM
    But it isn't a WiMAX advantage - both two & four transmitter MIMO is in the works for LTE. MIMO is really a necessity for handling the increased bandwidth needed for LTE.

Ahh... hadn't seen that in any of the spec sheets on the LTE protocol.. will look into it more closely...
    06-09-09 08:16 PM
    Ahh... hadn't seen that in any of the spec sheets on the LTE protocol.. will look into it more closely...
    I'd give you the sites with the info, but a simple search for LTE MIMO should give you what you're looking for.

ok first off I am a HUGE verizon person.
    I have a terrific weight-loss program if it would help your problem.

06-09-09 08:47 PM
    Very true - I really meant CDMA was an evolution of mobile telephony, not of TDMA. An oversimplification is that CDMA uses subchannel encoding, while TDMA uses time of connection encoding in its channel selection.

As for the rest of your comments, those are very valid & easy to see. What is more difficult to understand & explain is that CDMA is channeled, too. All radio frequency transmissions are. The difference is whether your transmissions can overlap those channels.

GSM cannot dynamically overlap or adjust. As you know, a fixed channel is opened. Whether the user needs a torrent or a trickle, the same space & resources are allocated.

CDMA can adapt dynamically by ignoring channels, using uncontrolled subchannels. But this can create come issues with stationary applications. Your home computer or video service can benefit by using some static channel resources. With sub-carrier technology, LTE adapts further. It can act fully channeled, partially channeled or non-channeled, depending on need - and can do so on the fly. Using subcarriers can further optimize the service based on need or application.

I think the biggest difference is in the area of utilization. CDMA did not truly recognize the channels, while LTE will be able to in some situations, as needed.

And as mentioned above, VZW will maintain 1xRTT for voice. LTE will be primarily data-oriented, but can backup the voice side, if needed. The transition is supposed to be seamless and again based on network needs. Voice does not require anything more than 1xRTT, which is well established.

Hey man...that's all well and good, but you didn't even comment on my stellar-awesome graphs man...jeez...

*L*
    06-10-09 08:27 AM
    Hey man...that's all well and good, but you didn't even comment on my stellar-awesome graphs man...jeez...

*L*
    You included an apology for your stellar-awesome graphs, which caused me to smile, as no apology was needed. Nice work. But you left out a graph representing your analysis of LTE.

I don't like commenting on incomplete work, regardless of how nice it is.

Besides, I was hoping for a feature-length movie!

06-10-09 08:51 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD