Not trying to stir the masses, just a little frustration with Verizon.

I live in Montana. Verizon is really the only game is town. Service, including 3G network is great. Problem is, I've been on ATT before and owned an ATT Curve and iPhone. Here's my frustration.

Is it just me, or does it seem like Verizon has about the more unexciting phones right now? We've got Sprint with the Pre, ATT with the Bold, iPhone and others, T-Mobile with the G1 and a new touchscreen G-phone in the works and yet you walk into a Verizon store and you can choose from a Storm (fiasco), Curve or Pearl.

I know the Tour is coming out and the Storm2 is in the works, but what's the deal?

I've handled both the Pre and iPhone and after using it, and going to a Curve, it seems like the Curve old and clunky. Even when you compare an ATT and Verizon curve, the ATT Curve was clearly better (real GPS and ringtones that are actually LOUD).

I love Verizon for their customer support and the network coverage is great. Being in Montana, we're pretty much given no alternatives. I follow this forum and engadget daily and it seems that rumors on upcoming phones on other US carriers are 20 to 1 to upcoming verizon phones.

That's all
    06-17-09 12:38 AM
    I would have agreed about a year ago but... with the Tour, the Storm 2, and more Blackberries coming out I think users like us will be pleased. PLUS, with Verizon picking up some Android phones along with a version of the Pre sometime and even some of the phones that are coming out now (EnV Touch?) Verizon is starting to catch up to the "cool factor" of the others... slowly but surely.

Just my $.02!
    06-17-09 01:04 AM
    Not trying to stir the masses, just a little frustration with Verizon.

I live in Montana. Verizon is really the only game is town. Service, including 3G network is great. Problem is, I've been on ATT before and owned an ATT Curve and iPhone. Here's my frustration.

Is it just me, or does it seem like Verizon has about the more unexciting phones right now? We've got Sprint with the Pre, ATT with the Bold, iPhone and others, T-Mobile with the G1 and a new touchscreen G-phone in the works and yet you walk into a Verizon store and you can choose from a Storm (fiasco), Curve or Pearl.

I know the Tour is coming out and the Storm2 is in the works, but what's the deal?

I've handled both the Pre and iPhone and after using it, and going to a Curve, it seems like the Curve old and clunky. Even when you compare an ATT and Verizon curve, the ATT Curve was clearly better (real GPS and ringtones that are actually LOUD).

I love Verizon for their customer support and the network coverage is great. Being in Montana, we're pretty much given no alternatives. I follow this forum and engadget daily and it seems that rumors on upcoming phones on other US carriers are 20 to 1 to upcoming verizon phones.

That's all
    What is it you are looking for specifically that Verizon does not have?
    06-17-09 07:35 AM
    I think a lot of this comes down to the grind that many people have felt waiting for the Tour to come out. Sure VZW has the Storm and will have the Pearl Flip but it has been 8 months now since something seriously interesting in the world of Verizon Blackberries has come out. Don't worry Cowboyl1fe more cool stuff is just around the corner, unfortunately it is just taking some time.
    06-17-09 07:44 AM
    You think Verizon has boring phones...look at what Alltel has to offer!!!
    06-17-09 09:10 AM
    Alltel is history in case you haven't heard.....

I would rather have a boring phone with a great network than a real cool phone with a marginal network....

My $ .02
    06-17-09 10:06 AM
    I think you also have to consider the fact that VZW/Alltell use CDMA. RIM seems to always debut phones on GSM networks...
    06-17-09 11:13 AM
    To each his own. For some:

Cool phone=iPhone. The same iPhone that can't hold a connection due to hard handoffs. The same iPhone that is slower than dirt in many places, because of the immature network it is on that is rather sporadic in its.

For others:

Cool phone=LG/Samsung folder or candybar. No QWERTY, maybe no camera. And why would I want to listen to music on my phone and why would I care about the Internet on a tiny screen? Phone works. Doesn't drop calls, is on a reliable network, has good battery life and was free with agreement. It doesn't cost an arm & a leg in monthly fees.

I would argue that the latter example better represents happy & well-adjusted souls, while the former isn't really ever quite happy & spends too much of their life obsessing over an unimportant item like phone selection & having the latest & greatest.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-17-09 01:17 PM

For others:

Cool phone=LG/Samsung folder or candybar. No QWERTY, maybe no camera. And why would I want to listen to music on my phone and why would I care about the Internet on a tiny screen? Phone works. Doesn't drop calls, is on a reliable network, has good battery life and was free with agreement. It doesn't cost an arm & a leg in monthly fees.

I would argue that the latter example better represents happy & well-adjusted souls, while the former isn't really ever quite happy & spends too much of their life obsessing over an unimportant item like phone selection & having the latest & greatest.

Ha, those might be good points but try and tell that to the younger generation. All the kids now a days want a cool phone and lots of them barely use it to make calls anymore. I think you have to admit that the younger generation is a big market.
    06-17-09 02:15 PM
    Hey now - I never said the younger generations are well-adjusted.

Of course, that is partly because of mal-adjusted parents, but still.

06-17-09 02:19 PM
    What is it you are looking for specifically that Verizon does not have?
    This isn't meant to be device specific, just personally what I want in a phone after owning a Storm, 2 Curves, Pearl, LG Voyager, BB 8703 and an iPhone...

- Hi resolution screen, try looking at the same photo on the Curve screen and then look at it on a Storm or iPhone, big difference.
    - Full Web browser, the Curve browser and opera are ok, but not as good as Storm, iPhone and I can imagiine, Pre and G1.
    - Real GPS, not sure if verizon will ever unlock GPS on their phones
    - Decent media player, again, not trying to pick one device, but after using an iPhone, the media player on Curve sucks. Storm was slightly better. I'm curious about the Pre.
    - Large Screen, I like the Storm/iPhone size screens.
    06-17-09 03:30 PM
    Hold out for Tour. It will have a lot of the above points full standalone gps, very nice high res screen, improved browser but of course it won't have storm, iphone size screen.

06-17-09 05:54 PM
    Yeah I agree with you verizon is outstanding coverage and service but limited cell phone choices

06-21-09 11:27 PM
    you live in montana, u should be use to boring
    06-22-09 01:17 AM
    06-22-09 01:21 AM
    more networks in the world are "GSM" verizon is cdma..

more phones are made for GSM networks as there is a much bigger selling area for those phones ;/

this will change when lte is rolled out..

I believe at&t and verizon will both eventually be LTE
    06-22-09 01:41 AM
    I don't find the verizon phones "boring" I want a phone that works + internet and e-mail service. That is exactly what I have.
    06-22-09 07:47 AM
    I don't find the verizon phones "boring" I want a phone that works + internet and e-mail service. That is exactly what I have.
    I agree with that 100%. My big problem here is none of these people who say this type of thing ever give an example that includes more than one or two phone models. Those models tend to be the latest offering or two from their favorite manufacturer - not the carrier in general. Or they will point to a model they wouldn't have, like the BlackBerry devotee who point to the Pre as excitement. Interesting they won't acknowledge the Pre followed the Curve @ Sprint & forget the Storm, the HTC models or the new LGs.

Oh well, if they say it, it must be true, right?

I believe at&t and verizon will both eventually be LTE
    Yes & yes. VZW first & AT&T will be second, although with a much less aggressive rollout.

Montana is one of the best places in the entire world. Gorgeous land, good morals, conservative climate, great hunting/fishing, people who understand personal responsibility and who are friendly.

If that is boring, I'd rather be bored.

I'd rank Montana as one of the top five best US States to be. TN, WI, AZ & AK would round out the list - with some honorable mentions just missing the grade.

It isn't cool to arbitrarily pick on someone's place of origin or residence.

Posted from my MultiQuotingBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-22-09 09:52 AM

Montana is one of the best places in the entire world. Gorgeous land, good morals, conservative climate, great hunting/fishing, people who understand personal responsibility and who are friendly.

If that is boring, I'd rather be bored.

I'd rank Montana as one of the top five best US States to be. TN, WI, AZ & AK would round out the list - with some honorable mentions just missing the grade.

It isn't cool to arbitrarily pick on someone's place of origin or residence.

Posted from my MultiQuotingBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Thank you! I totally agree with every point you made.

If anybody's interested in windows mobile here is a decent device.
    Complete HTC Ozone specs unearthed : Boy Genius Report

Check out the specs, this thing is loaded with radios! First device I can think of on VZ that has wifi, cdma, and gsm all together.
    This goes to prove that wifi and and multiple radio's can live together in the same phone without having a huge form factor.
    06-22-09 10:28 AM
    Alltel is history in case you haven't heard.....

I would rather have a boring phone with a great network than a real cool phone with a marginal network....

My $ .02
    Me too! What good is a phone that has a great media player but can't connect to download said music online, much less that drops phone calls. I know that ATT has a problem dropping calls in large metro areas, even on the iPhone. I have witnessed this when my Storm never drops a call alongside an iPhone.
    06-22-09 02:07 PM
    I find the selection pretty good actually.

What good is a phone with bling if it drops calls on a crappy network.

06-29-09 05:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD