09-24-08 12:37 PM
113 ... 345
tools
    I do not mind paying for VZNav monthly , it is a good service, but by doing so I would like to be able to use other location based services. I am more than happy to sign the petition.
    09-18-08 05:27 PM
    @ jjlane86: you win the thread. Like, seriously.
    09-18-08 06:01 PM
    Nice. If I had the choice to move to another provider so that I am allowed to use my device as intended, I would without hesitation. The fact is in my area there are three choices for wireless providers. AT&T, VZW, and a small local company. AT&T has little to no coverage here, the local company doesn't offer any type of smart phones, and VZW cripples the phones. Looks like I have a lot of choices eh ?

I really don't mind VZW nav. I used it going on trips with my LG9800 and envy, but I was able to purchase it by 24 hour blocks for 2.99. I do not wish to pay $10 a month for something that I may use 3 or 4 times a year. That's just stupid. At least let us have the 2.99 for 24 hour option on BB!!!!
    Funny, senario in my opinion. Everyone screams at VZW for disabling and signs petitions and sues for what is being done. ATT does not have good coverage in your area. Heck lets petition and sue them for having coverage, but it is not to your liking. I am in for that
    09-18-08 07:04 PM
    So you pay 'X' amount of dollars a month for 'X' amount of minutes...let's say you don't use them all...Verizon doesn't allow rollover..why aren't you ppl b*tching abt that?

It seems you would TALK on your PHONE more than you would use GPS...some of you...make me laugh...its not the fact that you're paying for minutes and not being able to keep them, or paying for 250 txt and not being able to keep them all...its NOT paying for GPS and and wanting it for free. Since we're America and we deserve everything...its an OPTIONAL feature that we're demanding to be free...I love it. I love America...we are so smart, and always right...because when I think of cell phone, I always think of GPS...wait wait...we have cell phones to talk to ppl? That's crazy!? I thought it was just to get me from point A to point B on a digital map cuz CALLING destinations for directions and CALLING ppl to find out how to get there...would simply be idiotic on a cell phone. Maybe we're all just r*tarded and don't know how to follow directions and road signs...or lazy...cuz convenience should always be free...pfft what I really mean when I say some of you make me laugh is... you make me sick!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-19-08 08:18 AM
    So you pay 'X' amount of dollars a month for 'X' amount of minutes...let's say you don't use them all...Verizon doesn't allow rollover..why aren't you ppl b*tching abt that?

It seems you would TALK on your PHONE more than you would use GPS...some of you...make me laugh...its not the fact that you're paying for minutes and not being able to keep them, or paying for 250 txt and not being able to keep them all...its NOT paying for GPS and and wanting it for free. Since we're America and we deserve everything...its an OPTIONAL feature that we're demanding to be free...I love it. I love America...we are so smart, and always right...because when I think of cell phone, I always think of GPS...wait wait...we have cell phones to talk to ppl? That's crazy!? I thought it was just to get me from point A to point B on a digital map cuz CALLING destinations for directions and CALLING ppl to find out how to get there...would simply be idiotic on a cell phone. Maybe we're all just r*tarded and don't know how to follow directions and road signs...or lazy...cuz convenience should always be free...pfft what I really mean when I say some of you make me laugh is... you make me sick!!

The cost of the hardware is figured into the return on the 2 yr contract. With this, it seems to me that you are paying for the hardware. I doubt that they are discounting the cost of the equipment minus the gps and capturing the delta with the vz navigator service. My thought is that your monthly service fee recovers the entire cost of the unit.

If you are simply requesting the use of the included gps hardware without an additional service from Verizon (i.e. using the gps with a 3rd party app) - are you really asking Verizon to provide an additional service by not disabling the gps?
    09-19-08 08:34 AM

Your American way, flying the flag defending Verizon is pretty funny in light of the taxpayer bailout of the American system. Individual American's or verizon customer greed or corporate greed - you decide your way, I will decide my way.

And discounts have nothing to do with it from what I read - even if you paid full price for the phone, the gps is NOT yours.

Yup, I purchased a phone to talk with people. I purchased a BB. I purchased a BB phone with a GPS inside the device. I am not asking Verizon to give me Navigator. I am asking that the gps in the phone I purchased be available to use with geocaching software, to use with bike route tracking software, to use when I hike and to use when verizon's data is not even available in remote areas like Yosemite last week.

I am also asking for the truth from Verizon. Why is the gps locked? Is it that their system may not be able to handle all the traffic? Is it my personal privacy and security? Is it total BS? Or is it the simple profit motive? Fine - just answer the question directly!

Laugh you a$$ off. Fine. Get totally ticked off by the complaints. Fine, again.
    09-19-08 01:08 PM
    Grrrr
    09-19-08 01:20 PM

I can't even comprehend how you came to these conclusions , and how far off the mark you truly are. Anybody that's buys a BlackBerry is supposed to stricktly use the calling features and nothing else?? I don't recall anybody demanding VZnav to be a free service either..........

09-19-08 01:21 PM
    This seems so obvious to me. I don't understand why anyone would think Verizon was not in the wrong here. Verizon took a feature of the phone that costs them nothing extra (it uses Satellites not their network to provide position) and spent R&D money to disable the feature and the software RIM provides in order to limit us to paying for their Navigation software. I suspect that most people that pay the $10/month would still do it even if they had a choice so how much are they really gaining here by preventing us from using other software - much of with does not even compete with theirs.

This is lame but nothing new for Verizon. The first cell phone that I had from them that played music would not allow me to access the file system to transfer my own songs to the phone. They wanted to force you to buy music from them. Eventually they were overcome by events and opened things up so I hope this happens again with the GPS.

I know I have a choice with providers but I choose Verizon's network over my concerns with their lousy business practices. They count on this and frankly don't care if we think poorly of them since we still buy their service. Of course when they came to my house to try to sell me TV I told them to take a hike. Perhaps if they didn't treat their customers like crap more of us would be proud to use them and embrace other opportunities to give them business.

I hope they come to their senses and allow me to use the internal GPS on my phone. Until then I'll use my external BT GPS and be annoyed that my phone has the same thing inside but VZ won't let me use it. I guess I should be happy that VZ didn't decide to disable the ability for the phone to pair with my external GPS...
    Last edited by Greg G; 09-19-08 at 04:59 PM.
    09-19-08 04:55 PM
    who says verizon doesnt have the right?

the FCC and DOJ say they do O.o
    Yes, but they advertise GPS functionality in certain devices, and the customer has an expectation to it, so I think the FTC might have a problem with that.
    09-23-08 05:39 AM
    From a strict legal standpoint they are in the clear. Don't forget that all verizon users are bound by a contractual agreement that states that you will abide by their rules and policies. It is not false advertising on verizon's part because the phone is fully capable of utilizing gps features....after you sign up for their service. Is this ethical? Probably not, but as far as the courts are concerned, they are doing nothing wrong. I am not saying that I agree with their business practices, but they have every right to make money as long as it is done in a legal manner. I too am annoyed I can't use the built in GPS, however I knew that prior to buying the phone and to become irrate over something that you should have been fully aware of is foolish.

No one is forcing you to stay with verizon, if it irritates you that much, then break you contract and pay the fee.

<sit back laughing as flaming ensues>
    09-23-08 04:42 PM
    No one is forcing you to stay with verizon, if it irritates you that much, then break you contract and pay the fee.
    This part is getting a little old now. I don't understand why everyone keeps harping on that. Everyone knows their network coverage is like crack. Some of us don't have a choice, but to stick it out.

However, in terms of laws and ethics. I think laws and courts need to change to force big businesses to follow strict ethics to help the general public in this country and world. Of course if I live to see that in my lifetime, I'd be very amazed.

Beauty queens like to see World Peace. I just want to see World Ethics.
    09-23-08 05:03 PM
    This thread has outlived its usefulness and is now closed.
    09-24-08 12:37 PM
113 ... 345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD