09-24-08 01:37 PM
113 ... 2345
tools
    Frustrating as ****... One of the reasons I got this phone was to track gps while hiking, skiing etc. VZW screwed the pooch on this one

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-05-08 07:00 PM
    Clearly Verizon does not realize that having the ability to get your latitude and longitude on your phone has uses beyond turn-by-turn driving directions. Overall, the whole disabled GPS thing just seems silly to me.

I don't think they're getting much more business with the crippled GPS than they would by just putting their VZ Nav app on the home screen for new phones and forcing the user to manually install BB Maps as an alternative. The users on this site that give a crap whether or not the gps is enabled most likely represent a minority of blackberry users.
    09-05-08 07:10 PM
    1826 sigs. Barely a ding. Wonder how many more is needed till OPoster presents petition to VZ.
    09-05-08 07:54 PM
    To the people who are saying "You just want something for free." - I'm sorry, but that makes absolutely no sense at all. I'm sure you'd love to pay 10 dollars a month to be able to snap a picture with your phone or a fee for unlocking the use of the trackball or qwerty. Seriously.

Anyways, a petition most likely won't do anything. In my opinion, it's not even worth complaining about. I was mainly in shock about the people that were telling the OP that he was just wanting something for free, though. Anyways, hello all. Sorry for a bitter 1st post.
    09-11-08 04:21 PM
    No I don't want to pay to use the camera, trackball or keyboard. That's why I didn't sign up for a carrier that charges for those things. I also made sure to use them within the return period since they're important and made sure they worked the way I needed.

09-11-08 04:51 PM
    No I don't want to pay to use the camera, trackball or keyboard. That's why I didn't sign up for a carrier that charges for those things. I also made sure to use them within the return period since they're important and made sure they worked the way I needed.

Congratulations. My post was not at all directed at you, though.
    09-11-08 05:02 PM

09-11-08 05:05 PM
    That's great. My post was directed at you though. If GPS is so important, get a carrier that doesn't lock it. There are apparently a lot of them.

09-11-08 05:10 PM
    I don't use the VZW Nav because it sucks on the BB Curve. Although my son has it on his Envy and loves it. I believe that we are at choice, for phones, service and companies. Sometimes the choices we make have pros and cons. Yes, the GPS issue is a con, and the customer service, coverage, etc outway this. I will purchase a GPS when I'm ready.

It's like any company, there's always good and bad, pros and cons. We make our choices hope that the pros/goods out way the bads/cons. Think about it.

And I too agree, let's not get nasty here. The idea is to share, learn and grow, not belittle and berate!!
    09-11-08 05:22 PM
    Frustrating as ****... One of the reasons I got this phone was to track gps while hiking, skiing etc. VZW screwed the pooch on this one

Next time do your homework.
    09-11-08 05:23 PM
    That's great. My post was directed at you though. If GPS is so important, get a carrier that doesn't lock it. There are apparently a lot of them.

Why would I want to do that? I didn't even mention what my opinion was on the locked gps.
    09-11-08 05:33 PM
    The problem with all the lamos out there suing VZW for the GPS lockout is that they are not citing "Monopolizing of a factory inclusive capability in order to increase revenue by misleading the customer to think their only option for GPS is VZNav (a pay for service)". By stripping the client of their choice to make an informed decision on the matter, they are inturn turning the tables in their favor. Think of it kind just as bad as insider trading. They sell you a product that has GPS, but they disable it and then "lie" that it's only available if you use VZNav. Then, when called out on it, they pull the old "it's a security concern issue" defense out of their ***. Like it or not, it's the truth.
    09-11-08 10:06 PM
    Hold on a second.....................ok thanks for waiting. I just got out my violin. This piece is called "Whiny Biotches"
    09-12-08 12:55 PM
    This is hilarious

There is a golfing app that takes advantage of it. Who wants to wear a GPS puck on your cap or put in your pocket along with the golf balls and tees.

And yes my golf game is so supect, the best GPS in the world is not going to help me.

Anyway, I understand from a major account manager at Verizon that there are discussions to open up the GPS and we may see something very soon.

This may be old news or a result of they will say something to make you happy and go away.

Has anyone heard this?
    09-15-08 10:15 AM
    There is truth on both sides of this argument. While the Curve has the GPS built-in, nowhere does Verizon say that you can use it free of charge. Quite to the contrary, Verizon doesn't even advertise the built-in GPS capability with third party apps -- Verizon only mentions the use of VZNavigator at an extra $9.95/mo. That is Verizon's only mention of GPS, although they never really use the term "GPS".

You could successfully argue that nobody is forcing you to sign up with Verizon, and Verizon is not being deceptive in its advertising with regards to accessing the unit's GPS. Those who are angry are the ones who made the assumption that they could use the Curve's GPS functionality with third party apps even though, from Verizon's own advertising, it's quite clear that you can only use VZNavigator.

The other side of the argument, with which I also empathize, is that the GPS subsystem on the Curve is the same regardless of provider -- why does Verizon lock it down while other providers do not? If VZNavigator is such a great solution, then let it stand on its own in a free market. But why can't my other programs access the GPS unit for location-based services, geotagging, etc.? Verizon cites mysterious "security issues", but as post 9-1-1 has shown, plenty of unconstitutional, unethical, unlawful, and downright disgusting things are done in the name of "security" nowadays.

I doubt VZNavigator is such a big revenue stream for Verizon. They should open up their GPS system and allow their users the freedom to use whatever GPS applications they wish. This will only increase the value of Verizon's service.
    09-15-08 11:06 AM
    Hello,

I am new to these forums and expect my BB Curve to arrive tomorrow and I am itching with anticipation as it is the first smart phone or PDA I will have ever owned.

I have found this particular post interesting and wish to contribute.

I am not super familiar with GPS services and do not currently have any real use for it however, I understand both sides of the argument regarding the GPS circuitry being locked by VZW. Also note that this Locking issue is much broader that just GPS. Think of all the VZW phones that are capable, hardware-wise, of running other browsers and 3rd party apps and even OSs, but VZW restricts...legally speaking, GPS being blocked is no different than VZW locking and significantly crippling just about every single phones OS, hardware features, and many other components I am sure exist

That being said, as consumers, we are responsible for knowing what we are purchasingthoroughly. Information is damn near free and at our finger tips; there is no excuse to buy a device at a discounted price from Verizon, and then create and sign a petition about its GPS being locked... But consumer knowledge IS NOT the issue here, VZW dictating the hardware used on their network IS. The wireless industry is fairly competitive and is advancing faster than computers have in the pastbut as far as the FCC is concerned, wireless carriers have the right to dictate hardware used on their networksthere are no monopolies in the industryso as aggravating as it may be to say out loud, VZW is not doing anything wrongyet

I am a huge fan of everything open-source and do not disagree that it sucks that Verizon AND OTHER NETWORKS chooses to block GPS as well as 98% of the potential of the hardware it allows to use its network.

It definitely sucks but you being a consumer:

1. Had a Choice (Verizon, ATT, T-Mobil, Other Carriers)
    2. Made a decision (Verizon)
    3. Signed a contract in exchange for a huge benefit (the discount), but by doing so, also gave Verizon the authority to enforce its own laws on the device and its network.

So at the end of the day, the real is not here yetthink about when Nokias open handset alliance and Googles Android become real contenders in the mobile OS arena allowing phones to evolve into mini PCsthis will then force wireless networks to open networks to much much more and I am sure there are many lawsuits and petitions to followmaybe then, we as consumers will have a much stronger influence on this industry and what it will be allowed to dictate in regards to the hardware we decide to use.

Wow that was a bit lengthier than I initially envisioned it being

Anyways, nice to be part of the forums, and I do look forward to being a contributing member!
    09-17-08 02:52 PM
    That was very well written.

09-17-08 03:39 PM
    I sighned it..
    What i dont like is that i paid $400.00 for a phone wich not only was designed to be a phone but also a GPS, and then the stupid verizon network has to go screw with RIMS devise and screw all there loyal costomer... thank you very much for this and please keep us up to date on what is accuring.
    09-17-08 09:35 PM
    You paid $400 for something and didn't know what it could/couldnt do?

09-17-08 09:48 PM
    you knew verizons policy when you signed up.
    09-18-08 04:33 AM
    you knew verizons policy when you signed up.
    What? Are we back to the "love it or leave it" mentality? Can't folks suggest that they like Verizon's cell service but object to their gps policy? Can't folks petition verizon to change a policy and make customers happier?

Can't folks suggest to verizon that there are other uses for the internal gps that the in-house software does not provide?

Can't we get a straight answer from verizon? Is it OUR security they are concerned with? Is their network subject to overload? Is the gps inside the verizon version different from other carriers? Can the gps function without cell tower "data?"
    Last edited by F2; 09-18-08 at 09:57 AM.
    09-18-08 09:54 AM
    I sighned it..
    What i dont like is that i paid $400.00 for a phone wich not only was designed to be a phone but also a GPS, and then the stupid verizon network has to go screw with RIMS devise and screw all there loyal costomer... thank you very much for this and please keep us up to date on what is accuring.
    I understand completely where everyone is coming from, it's there, why can't I use it?

Seems simple enough but lets ask a few questions.

If you buy a garmin or anything like that, there is a limited number of things it can do. If you buy a mp3 player, why can't you give away the songs you put on it? I mean you paid for it... right?

There are many other things that are the same, so many things you pay for but can only use one way. Fact of the matter is that most people here just expect to much out of their cell phone company or their cell phone. Verizon is in the business to make money, so if they choose to lock down GPS just like the I-phone locks down MMS but can download an app that makes it work, why is it Verizon and GPS that gets the harassment?

**Disclaimer** This is in no way bashing unlocking the device and the features, I agree with that, however I don't agree with trying to force something out of one company and allowing the same process to go on elsewhere, kind of hypocritical imo. Also these are just a few examples, but still it holds true, my car speakers have to stay as a manufacturers preset set, i paid for the car why can't I change those? I know these are different avenues but the same policy in general. Hope this came through I was typing randomly through other events and lost my train of thought multiple times!

**Edit** I also understand that sprints is unlocked and Verizon's is not. But it's verizon's business not sprints.
    09-18-08 11:21 AM
    What? Are we back to the "love it or leave it" mentality? Can't folks suggest that they like Verizon's cell service but object to their gps policy? Can't folks petition verizon to change a policy and make customers happier?

Can't folks suggest to verizon that there are other uses for the internal gps that the in-house software does not provide?

Can't we get a straight answer from verizon? Is it OUR security they are concerned with? Is their network subject to overload? Is the gps inside the verizon version different from other carriers? Can the gps function without cell tower "data?"

See... when it's relayed like that I'm ok, wanting an answer is fine, but demanding something be changed without justification just because it fits your needs better is not. Thank you for demonstrating some intelligence on the matter!

Though to make the customer happy? Lets look at this in retrospect, while I agree I would love unlocked GPS, locking it down provides a reliable source of revenue. The market for cell phones varies so widely, that the company would inevitably have to establish ahead of time how much they anticipate making, how much they are making, and by doing things like locking down GPS it allows the company to keep a revenue stream in other venues to continue the huge network investments that you are complimenting. Just another way to look at it. Because if they unlocked it, maybe 10% of the people would still pay for it, the others would goto free services, and that would cut a terrible loss in money to invest in network, training, and profit.

That's why I believe it's done personally, fatten the pockets of VZW to ensure that the CEO gets paid more money to keep on managing the company in the way they have been running it, and making sure that the revenue stream is consistant enough to make valid business decisions.... because we see what giving everything away does for ya! (sprint? AT&T is losing it's customer gap and losing revenue stream, also didn't have a big enough pocketbook to fork over for more LTE spectrum, notice how AT&T is slowly transitioning to a more nickel and dime method, won't be long now!)
    09-18-08 11:28 AM
    As I stated before, if this is a feature that is that important to you, why are you with VZW if you know they disable it? there is a reason I am sure. There are also many other options to achieve GPS access.

Nice. If I had the choice to move to another provider so that I am allowed to use my device as intended, I would without hesitation. The fact is in my area there are three choices for wireless providers. AT&T, VZW, and a small local company. AT&T has little to no coverage here, the local company doesn't offer any type of smart phones, and VZW cripples the phones. Looks like I have a lot of choices eh ?

I really don't mind VZW nav. I used it going on trips with my LG9800 and envy, but I was able to purchase it by 24 hour blocks for 2.99. I do not wish to pay $10 a month for something that I may use 3 or 4 times a year. That's just stupid. At least let us have the 2.99 for 24 hour option on BB!!!!
    09-18-08 03:45 PM
    So Verizon needs to change it's business practices because AT&T has poor coverage and the other company has poor phone selection?

BlackBerry has an option better than 2.99 per day, it's 33 cents per day you just have to call to add it. This shouldn't be too much of a problem since you only need it 3 or 4 times a year.

09-18-08 03:53 PM
113 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD