09-24-08 12:37 PM
113 1234 ...
tools
    I run linux with windows all the time and the other way around too.

If I'm not mistaken even IF VZW does unlock the gps don't you have to pay for a decent gps thingy like Mapquest anyways? (I use Mapquest with my SOON TO BE GONE SPRINT pearl.) So whats the difference?
    08-22-08 10:35 PM
    I think something's getting lost here....I don't think that most people mind paying $10 a month for the GPS feature...and I agree that VZNav is fantastic..I use it all the time and I totally trust it. I just think that most people would prefer to choose what apps to use it with....not the cost. If it were unlocked, I'd still use VZnav...but I'd also use bones in Motion and other programs that utilized GPS for other reasons.

That's just me.
    08-22-08 10:42 PM
    I think something's getting lost here....I don't think that most people mind paying $10 a month for the GPS feature...and I agree that VZNav is fantastic..I use it all the time and I totally trust it. I just think that most people would prefer to choose what apps to use it with....not the cost. If it were unlocked, I'd still use VZnav...but I'd also use bones in Motion and other programs that utilized GPS for other reasons.

That's just me.
    what other uses do those programs have? im curious
    08-22-08 10:45 PM
    Nothing really lost here. The op posted he started a petition. This is noble cause and nothng wrong with it. As usual though things have gotten out of hand from the complining, bashing, etc.
    08-22-08 10:48 PM
    RIM does not lockdown the hardware. I have researched this. Nlasha, why do you care so much anyways? There are many other topics here where you can go and post your sarcastic unwanted remarks. Please just go away. This is my last response to your replies/comments.
    You can go check the petition yourself and see that it has been signed by many others.
    And in no way, shape, or form does RIM lock down the gps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-22-08 10:50 PM
    Bones in Motion is an exercise program...it can track how far you walk/run, etc..and your speed....Some Verizon phones have this program available, but since the GPS is locked on the Blackberry and Verizon "isn't at liberty to discuss when features will be available"....we can't use that program.

I'll get a keychain puck if I have to.....I'd just like to have to carry around less stuff.

Liz<not bit*hing or whining....just saying what she'd like to see.
    08-22-08 10:51 PM
    RIM does not lockdown the hardware. I have researched this. Nlasha, why do you care so much anyways? There are many other topics here where you can go and post your sarcastic unwanted remarks. Please just go away. This is my last response to your replies/comments.
    You can go check the petition yourself and see that it has been signed by many others.
    And in no way, shape, or form does RIM lock down the gps.

why are YOU beatin a dead horse posting yet another peition when there are many other petitions out there that you can sign.

u see wut i did thur!?
    08-22-08 10:51 PM
    Why do you care so much?
    Just let me be and go live your life! My GOD!!!

08-22-08 10:53 PM
    good question.............
    There are numerous location aware apps, there are some apps for hiking/biking one is calle Trimble Outdoors which I beleive VZ offers in there GIN store for other phones. ...ummm there are some programs that will track your path so you can see where you have been.....search apps like my poynt that are specialized for location based searches.....(by the way vznav 4.1xxx does a pretty good job about this too.)

I hear what your saying nslasha, but you gotta look at the big pic too...so much more to use gps for other than just maps and navigation....I would be willing to pay 9.99 just to get them to unlock for me....You can subscribe to vznav, open a follow me map then once it's tracking our position minimize it and then any other gps software will run and get the gps coordinates....but what a pain....RIM/Verizon who ever is responsible there's always room for a compromise.....
    You asked why it should be unlocked....what is Verizon's reason for locking it?
    08-22-08 10:58 PM
    More revenue of course. We do live in a capitalistic society, no?

08-22-08 11:05 PM
    I want to run run LENUX with in my Microsoft OS, but guess that is not happening any time soon either[/B]
    first, to the above comment, you can. *linux* doesn't run in an os.. it is one.

anyway -- the gps limitation on the vz bb's isn't a secret nor has it changed recently. I'm picking VZ anyway because of the coverage. I could easily choose At&t or t-mobile. the point is, they have every right to do it.

Also, online petitions are completely useless. snopes dot com /inboxer/petition/ internet.asp .. since i cant post urls yet.
    08-22-08 11:08 PM
    my linux comment was to make a point, maybe not the best. Also everyone has a reason dto be VZW or not.

My MAIN point is for what ever reason you are with VZW you know they block GPS. So if this is a major feature you want, then either you should be with a carrier that provides it, or do not complain about it. If you wish to file a petition or file other action, then feel free to. It is the way things are done in this country.
    08-23-08 06:58 AM
    While I support the right of anyone to protest and petition as they see fit, I really don't think any attempt like this would sway Verizon, or any other corporation, for that matter. Bottom line is, Verizon is all about the...bottom line. It seems to me that the only way to make an impact is for all the people who feel so strongly about this locked gps issue to cancel their Verizon service and let Verizon know, specifically, why they are canceling. I would imagine that, if enough people did this (tens of thousands? hundreds of thousands?) Verizon would take it into consideration.

Otherwise, as long as people are willing to pay for the main services (which all the protesters seem to be), petitioning about this one ancillary service is useful only if it makes you feel better about the situation.

Disclaimer: I pay my $9.99 every month for VZNavigator. Do I wish I could get the same service for free? Sure I do. I also wish my daughter wouldn't crank out 3000+ text messages a month so I could save some money there, too. I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for either.
    08-23-08 08:05 AM
    Nice post Random1. Just keep mind though in any business the bottom line a factor. The reason to run a business is to make money, while providing service to the consumer.

If the business descision to block GPS by VZW, then it is what it is.

It appears at this time that GPS is not feature people need via their phone to make a customer leave VZW. Most people know there are other options and go with those if it is a feature they want.

If VZW had a corner on GPS, which they do not. I think the FCC would be looking into this much deeper as a violation of law.
    08-23-08 08:27 AM
    I dont like the policy.

But I like VZW waaaay more than any other carrier.

So I made a choice. The pros outweigh the cons.

I would 100% support VZW in unlocking the GPS so i can use it on those few occasions that I actually want it...but I dont use it enough to justify $10/month.

I do think that VZW will eventually come around, but I'm 110% certain it wont be b/c of any Internet petitions.
    08-23-08 12:03 PM
    I signed it. I don't mind paying for the navigator, but I would like it unlocked to use it for other programs.
    08-23-08 12:10 PM
    This is still talked about??? I feel your pain. If Verizon does not wish to use this feature as part of their phone, they have a right no to. I don't see the aGPS feature advertised anywhere on their website.

With so many carriers out there, you are free to move to anyone else. Consider this: Do you love Verizon? I think it's the best overall carrier. I think that outweighs the locked aGPS.

As for the Navigation software, VZNav, I personally like it. I like the fact that it's only 10 bucks a month and it gets updated frequently. Say, you went to Best Buy and bought a GPS on your own. You would pay around $250 for a decent one. And, on top of that, you would pay more to update it. I think it's a bargain paying the 10 a month,

Here's why I did not sign the petition: I personally would have no use for the aGPS feature. Really, I would still use a VZNav. However, I may use it for smaller programs that track where you are and where you've been. Maybe to show off the speedometer feature in the car or something -- Not really for directions however.

Best of luck,D

Hello all,
    There is an online petition at the following link that's going to be submitted to VZW soon regarding the GPS receiver built into Blackberries which VZW has crippled so that it can only be used with VZ Navigator.
    Please sign the petition.
    Hopefully Verizon will listen and unlock the built in GPS receiver.
    We buy the phones, which means we own the equipment. Verizon has no right disabling the gps which forces us to pay a recurring fee for VZ nav if we want to use the gps.

Verizon Blackberry GPS Petition Petition

08-23-08 12:14 PM
    What a lot of these "Unlock the GPS!" proponents fail to consider is that virtually every phone Verizon sells supports aGPS, and some even support autonomous GPS (the Blackberries seem to, but more on that later).

aGPS uses the phone's built-in GPS circuitry along with Verizon's own network equipment to provide a fix for the phone. The owner of the phone doesn't own the network equipment, Verizon does, and they're certainly within their rights to charge for its use.

VZNav is a significant revenue stream for Verizon on a large percentage of their phone models. Enabling aGPS for 3rd party applications on the Blackberry would cause a disparity between the features offered for the BB and their other phone models, and create even more of a customer satisfaction and support issue than simply keeping their offerings consistent.

Enabling autonomous GPS would have the same net result; the average joe doesn't know the difference between aGPS and (autonomous) GPS. Consistency provides for a better overall customer service experience. It may make a few folks upset because they can't use a feature they think they've paid for by simply purchasing the device, but at the same time Verizon has fewer applications and associated features to support and can do a better customer service job by not attempting to be everything to everyone.
    08-23-08 02:35 PM
    This is the best qoute of the thread by Dodge Deboulet. The aGPS technology requires carrier cooperation via a PDE server.

I think any future "unlock verizon gps" threads should be axed.

aGPS uses the phone's built-in GPS circuitry along with Verizon's own network equipment to provide a fix for the phone. The owner of the phone doesn't own the network equipment, Verizon does, and they're certainly within their rights to charge for its use.
    08-23-08 09:18 PM
    I agree that if the GPS functionality of the device requires the use of carrier-provided services (i.e. a PDE server), then it's perfectly reasonable to charge for the use of that service. Unfortunately they aren't charging for use of their PDE server, they're charging for use of an application that utilizes their PDE server.

However much as they're making with VZ Navigator at $10 per month, they could make more by charging $10 per month for using their PDE server, and allowing customers to use VZ Navigator at no additional charge, or even a nominal charge beyond charging for use of the PDE server.

There are *SOME* who are complaining that they can't use the GPS in their devices for *FREE*, but I see many more who are content with VZ Navigator (for what it does), but would like to see Verizon make the GPS functionality available to other apps - apps for which Verizon offers no alternative, at any price. The latter group would probably happily pay slightly more for an unlocked GPS.
    08-23-08 09:39 PM
    This is the best qoute of the thread by Dodge Deboulet. The aGPS technology requires carrier cooperation via a PDE server.

I think any future "unlock verizon gps" threads should be axed.
    Interesting that you picked the one quote that was incorrect to stand behind. Using the BB's built in GPS does not use VZW's servers and networks. That's the whole reason to put GPS on a phone, so you can choose which service you want.

And frankly, this type of thing is not new. VZW has been sued (and lost) before for locking a device's free features. See the Motorola V710 class action suit from a few years back. VZW will not relent and unlock anything unless they are sued, and even then, they will not change their policies. They concede to suit after suit because they know that most people will not buck the system, will pay whatever they are asked to pay, and will not know the difference--even when blatantly told (as has been the case here). It is cheaper for VZW to lose numerous lawsuits than it is to open the blinded masses eyes to what is really theirs to begin with.

Yes, VZW is the largest carrier, and yes, they arguably have the best service in the US (in most markets), but their customer base and their network has been built on greed, deceit, and manipulation.

This is not just about cell phones, this also about bigger, broader issues such as consumers' rights, and free market economy. VZW must fall sooner or later, because if they don't, we will.

V
    08-24-08 12:22 AM
    Interesting that you picked the one quote that was incorrect to stand behind. Using the BB's built in GPS does not use VZW's servers and networks. That's the whole reason to put GPS on a phone, so you can choose which service you want.

And frankly, this type of thing is not new. VZW has been sued (and lost) before for locking a device's free features. See the Motorola V710 class action suit from a few years back. VZW will not relent and unlock anything unless they are sued, and even then, they will not change their policies. They concede to suit after suit because they know that most people will not buck the system, will pay whatever they are asked to pay, and will not know the difference--even when blatantly told (as has been the case here). It is cheaper for VZW to lose numerous lawsuits than it is to open the blinded masses eyes to what is really theirs to begin with.

Yes, VZW is the largest carrier, and yes, they arguably have the best service in the US (in most markets), but their customer base and their network has been built on greed, deceit, and manipulation.

This is not just about cell phones, this also about bigger, broader issues such as consumers' rights, and free market economy. VZW must fall sooner or later, because if they don't, we will.

V
    i think theres bigger companies that would go first.
    08-24-08 12:58 AM
    And frankly, this type of thing is not new. VZW has been sued (and lost) before for locking a device's free features. See the Motorola V710 class action suit from a few years back.
    You may want to check your facts on this one. Verizon wasn't sued because they disabled any features, they were sued because of how the feature was advertised.

While it's related, the fact that the feature was disabled was not the point of the suit.

08-24-08 01:36 AM
    You may want to check your facts on this one. Verizon wasn't sued because they disabled any features, they were sued because of how the feature was advertised.

While it's related, the fact that the feature was disabled was not the point of the suit.

I will not argue semantics on a tangential issue with you. Thank you.
    08-24-08 01:38 AM
    You mean you don't want to discuss facts that are contrary to your viewpoint.

Your statement implied Verizon lost a suit about disabling features, which is not true.

08-24-08 02:22 AM
113 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD