Using Google Maps, which I downloaded OTA just yesterday, it asked me to allow access to the GPS receiver when I installed it, and of course I agreed.

When finding "My Location, it says I am within 5000 meters of the display on the map, and in fact I am within about 8 miles or so. How is it getting any location if VZW has the GPS disabled completely?
    07-02-08 05:42 PM
    Because it isn't using GPS. Google maps uses cell tower triangulation to find your spot. Watch for a while and you'll see it's not horribly accurate. Close, yes. GPS accurate? No.
    07-02-08 05:45 PM
    According to the BB developer documentation an app can access GPS (location based services) on Verizon if the app was developed by an entity in the "Verizon Developer Program". Probably what the phone is doing is getting its location from the cell towers.
    07-02-08 05:49 PM
    It is, in fact, showing me the location of the cell tower I am bouncing off of. I guess that could come in handy- knowing exactly which cell tower you are using- in case there is a problem with it....
    07-02-08 06:09 PM
    Because it isn't using GPS. Google maps uses cell tower triangulation to find your spot. Watch for a while and you'll see it's not horribly accurate. Close, yes. GPS accurate? No.
    Why do I always want to watch Ferris Bueller's Day Off whenever you post..

Anyhow, this is absolutely correct. I learned this just not too long ago as well. I use GoogleMaps because I refuse to pay for VZNav, and according to My Location on there, I live about a block away from my house.
    07-02-08 06:16 PM
    I thought by the title of the thread someone had figured it out. But I doubt the gps will ever work on a BB unless Verizon decides to enable it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-02-08 06:31 PM
    Well, after installing os 4.5 beta, BB Maps said it could see the internal gps, however it just sat at "Searching for Satellites" and then VZNavigator wouldn't work. Battery pull and VZN is back.
    07-02-08 06:54 PM
    I think I'm just going to order that keychain GPS receiver and be done with it. I refuse to pay Verizon a monthly fee for something that should be enabled on the phone by default.
    07-02-08 07:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD