I have looked at a few TPA's for GPS and they say "will not work with Verizon". I have also downloaded some and they could not find me. I have read that Verizon "blocks" GPS signals or something to that effect. Is this true and what if anything can be done to open up the GPS signals on a Verizon device.
    09-30-09 09:30 AM
    Yes it is true. They block it so that you purchase VZNav.
    Not sure about finding a way around it though.
    09-30-09 09:34 AM
    Its true if they say it doesn't work with verizon one would expect it to not work...
    09-30-09 09:34 AM
    I knew the Ap's would not work, I was hoping someone could tell me if this "blocking" by Verizon was real and if it could be turned off somehow
    09-30-09 09:38 AM
    No it can't be turned off VZW pushes all of their own applications. might wanna try google maps... or bbmaps
    09-30-09 09:42 AM
    Ok, thanks for the info Blue.
    09-30-09 09:51 AM
    I thought that the Verizon Storm's gps worked with 3rd party apps. It may not work with all of them but I believe it works.

The Tour also works - Verizon no longer locks down the gps. My Tour works with gpslogger, google, poynt, blackstar, etc. I do not have or use Verizon Navigator.
    09-30-09 10:20 AM
    I thought that the Verizon Storm's gps worked with 3rd party apps. It may not work with all of them but I believe it works.

The Tour also works - Verizon no longer locks down the gps. My Tour works with gpslogger, google, poynt, blackstar, etc. I do not have or use Verizon Navigator.
    I was under the impression that prior to the Storm and the Tour, all Verizon Blackberries only had A-GPS, and they lock down A-GPS.

The Storm and Tour have both GPS and A-GPS. The GPS is open to all apps, but the A-GPS is still locked down for only Verizon-approved apps.
    09-30-09 10:58 AM
    Any blackberries released since the storm will be gps unlocked. Before the storm, only BBmaps works.
    09-30-09 10:58 AM
    Googlemaps worked on my pearl...
    09-30-09 11:32 AM
    GPS is unlocked on newer VZW devices. Storm, Tour going forward.

i use the GPS with:

BlackBerry Maps
    VZ Nav
    Poynt
    BerryWeather
    Google Maps with Latitude (within 3-10 meters)
    Twitter
    Bank Of America Find A Bank

i'm on wap and can't see what device you have (OP).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-30-09 11:38 AM
    Man, this subject is getting old - but that's okay... the OP didn't know that.

But since it is old, I present an old piece from my PM files. I hope it (again) sheds some light on the subject.

It is pretty simple, when you think about it. There are three basic functional types of GPS processors.

1) Standalone GPS - this is what you will find in most Garmin or Tomtom-type of navigation systems. These determine your location solely by satelite position.

2) aGPS - this is what the FCC mandated on all phones for e911 functionality. These determine your location based on cell network information or by network assisted satelite. This is the type found on the Curves, Pearls, etc.

3) Standalone + aGPS - this is a hybrid of the two above. It determines your location based on satelite positioning plus added assistance from the network - perfect for when there is not a clear view of the sky. This type can find the satelites autonomously, without network input & without access to proprietary information. This is the type found on Storm, Tour, Omnia, TP2, etc.

For aGPS, access to the network PDE is needed to see the satelites. Within this PDE is private information on both the carrier and every subscriber in the area. Many carriers allow open access to this information. VZW only does if the software provider submits their app for inspection & approval. They look for just a few things.

1) That the app will not cause harm to the phone or the network - this part is simple, as most will not cause a problem.

2) The app will not transmit proprietary network or customer information back to the vendor or third-party entity. This is where many fail. They don't want to give up that access, as that is how they might be making their money.

I have taken VZW phones, including Curve, to other networks - no software changes - and had the GPS begin functioning. Come back to VZW & the GPS stopped working again. So there are no phone locks or crippling in play. It is a network privacy issue and the third-party vendors want it all without limits.

At the very least, this indicates it is a network restriction & not a phone restriction. If VZW recently lifted that restriction, why is your Curve still without GPS? If the restriction is still in play, why do Storm, Tour, Omnia, TP2, etc. have GPS functionality?

The phones with functioning GPS all have Standalone + aGPS. The phones that don't have only aGPS.

Some confusion comes about because some phones list GPS processors like Qualcomm's GPSOne. Go to the Qualcomm site & you will see that processor is capable of standalone + aGPS. What isn't so clear is there are different models of that processor with lower cost ones using the same architecture, but without the standalone capability.

It is much like a Mustang - not all are fast, some have a V6. Or Intel Pentium processors - not all have the same features or capabilities.

Some phones can do Visual Voice Mail, while some can't. It isn't because VZW blocks or cripples it. Rather, it is because the phone either can't handle it or the software isn't compatible or hasn't been ported.

If you want VVM, you don't look for it on an LG flip phone. If you want full GPS, you don't look for it on a Curve.
    Make sense now?
    09-30-09 11:40 AM
    Googlemaps worked on my pearl...
    Within 10-3 meters? i had Google Maps on my 8330. Was usually giving 4000-1300 meters. That's not GPS.

Good write up, Twins! Never saw, so it's good to post again!

09-30-09 11:44 AM
    What is "TPA" in reference to GPS?
    09-30-09 12:10 PM
    What is "TPA" in reference to GPS?
    Third party application.
    09-30-09 12:17 PM
    Within 10-3 meters? i had Google Maps on my 8330. Was usually giving 4000-1300 meters. That's not GPS.
    It is if you're trying to get a fix on the position of the globe.

Hey gang, if you want those third-party apps to work on an aGPS smartphone, grab a little bluetooth GPS puck, hang it on your keychain & have at it.

Its a whole lot easier than trying to perpetuate conspiracy theories.
    10-02-09 12:15 AM
    I don't post here often, but i do read alot, and I still dont understand this, the user that posted the (pm i believe it was) was the clearest so far. but not a 100% answer. unless i am just thinking too hard about it. So if the TPA has not submitted their product to VZW for review it will not work? If that is the answer, does anyone here have a good solid list of any and all gps using TPA's that work with VZW? If necessary split them up by the different phones they are confirmed working on?
    10-02-09 08:48 AM
    So if the TPA has not submitted their product to VZW for review it will not work?
    Almost - they have to submit AND be approved AND live by the rules.

If that is the answer, does anyone here have a good solid list of any and all gps using TPA's that work with VZW?
    Yes - VZNavigator & BlackBerry Maps

If necessary split them up by the different phones they are confirmed working on?
    VZNavigator works on most currently available VZW certified phones, including most BlackBerrys. BBMaps works on any VZW BlackBerry with OS version 4.5 or later.

VZW does not publish which apps have submitted for testing & approval - so we don't know which have been denied. I know of two and suspect another, but can't divulge that info.

10-02-09 03:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD